The [OFFICIAL] John 'Bradshaw' Layfield Hall of Fame HQ

FunKay the Inevitable

People Like Me, We Don't Play
You had to know I'd do it sooner or later.

John 'Bradshaw' Layfield
wrld-jbl01st-1.jpg

[YOUTUBE]hJMggaTLT9c&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

John Layfield was born on November 29th 1966 in Sweetwater, Texas. He was a talented American football player even signing for the Los Angeles Raiders at one point, but it was not where his true success would come. No, true success would come for Layfield inside a wrestling ring. JBL would wonder around the independent circuit for several years with some solid championship victories including capturing the NWA North American Heavyweight Championship from Kevin Von Erich, but his true home was found in 1996 when he signed for the World Wrestling Federation.

After a brief gimmick run as a generic cowboy character, Layfield, now named Bradshaw, began teaming up with Barry Whindam and the tandem became known as the New Blackjacks. The team was short-lived due to Whindam's numerous injury problems, but it was obvious that Bradshaw had some real talent as a tag team wrestler as well as a singles star. In late 1998 Bradshaw began teaming with Ron Simmons, who was using the name Faarooq. The team became known as Hell's Henchmen before that was changed to The Acolytes as the team joined the Undertaker's Ministry of Darkness. It was a good time for the Acolytes as they captured tag team gold twice as a part of the Ministry. As the new millennium dawned, the Acolytes changed their name once again, this time turning face as the APA (The Acolytes Protection Agency)

6548146.jpg

The APA were men for hire who would drink, smoke and play cards. They even had their own 'office' within the local arena. Throughout the year of 2000 the team would try to become champions, but that would not occur until the July 9th edition of RAW is WAR. It was here that Bradshaw & Faarooq captured there last tag team gold as in 2002 the pair were separated by the first ever draft. Bradshaw would go to RAW and have some solid success, capturing the Hardcore Championship on multiple occasions and giving the belt a makeover. Bradshaw would suffer a major injury and later resurface on SmackDown, reuniting with Faarooq. The APA would team throughout 2003 and into 2004 before Faarooq was storyline fired. This marked a change in the Bradshaw character, who turned heel for the first time since his Ministry days.

JBL.jpg

This marked the debut of John 'Bradshaw' Layfield (or JBL for short). It was a simple yet effective gimmick of a self-made millionaire obsessed with defending the essence of Americana. JBL was instantly successful, winning the 'Great American Award' and the right to face Eddie Guerrero for the WWE Championship at the Judgment Day Pay Per View. JBL defeated Guerrero, but only by DQ. He'd get a re-match against Guerrero at The Great American Bash in a Bull Rope match. After it seemed Guerrero had retained the title, the decision was reversed and JBL won the WWE Championship. Guerrero & Layfield had one more match in there enthralling series; a Steel Cage match where JBL retained by escaping the cage. JBL then feuded with the Undertaker, picking up victories against the Deadman via DQ and in a Last Ride match. He then defeated Booker T at the Survivor Series and all three of his former challengers in a Fatal Four Way.

JBL soon started building a team to help him overcome the mounting opponents. It started in August of 2004 with Orlando Jordan joining him as his Chief of Staff before The Basham Brothers returned to become his Co-Secretaries of Defence. The team was formidable and at one time held the WWE Championship, the United States Championship and the WWE Tag Team Championships. JBL defeated both Kurt Angle and the Big Show in early 2005 before losing the WWE Championship to John Cena in a headline match at WrestleMania 21. JBL's team soon left him as he failed to regain the WWE Championship throughout 2005. In 2006, JBL had a brief feud with the Boogeyman before ending Bobby Lashley's undefeated streak and capturing the United States Championship from Chris Benoit at WrestleMania 22. JBL however began suffering from a severe back injury and shortly after losing the US Title in May, retired from active competition. He did remain a force on television however, becoming the SmackDown colour commentator in June of 2006.

5321771258_5155e245a3.jpg

JBL would cover several key events in SmackDown's history including King Booker's World Heavyweight Championship reign, WrestleMania 23, Edge capturing the World Heavyweight Championship from The Undertaker and MVP's near year long US Championship reign. However JBL's back began to heal and he returned to the ring on the RAW brand, starting a feud with Chris Jericho before moving onto one with Finlay which culminated in a Belfast Brawl at WrestleMania 24. JBL then faced off against his old foe John Cena throughout the summer of 2008, including picking up his first major victory over Cena at the 2008 Great American Bash. He would attempt to become World Heavyweight Champion on several occasions but ultimately fail. He had a feud with Shawn Michaels which would prove to be his final major one as he 'bought' Michaels. HBK would eventually grow tired of being ordered around by JBL though and win his freedom at the 2009 No Way Out PPV. JBL would capture the Intercontinental Championship in February and hold it until WrestleMania 25 where he lost it to Rey Mysterio. Following the match JBL quit.

2s159vp.png

JBL has had an amazing career in WWE, including becoming a Grand Slam Winner, which is rarely accomplished by anyone. He was also a part of one of the most recognisable tag teams from the late 90's/early 00's. JBL is a former WWE Champion, and a true success story in wrestling. He truly is worthy of his spot in the Hall of Fame.

Look at the list of truly influential trailblazers who aren't in this Hall of Fame yet. Now look at your man. The list again... aaaaand back to your man. JBL held down the B-show during one of the worst times in the history of the company, a time when the brand was really looking for it's next big star and nothing was working. He was a barely adequate placeholder. Nobody bought him for most of his reign as a result of his longstanding Velocity residency. Loyalty and being a locker room enforcer don't make one a Hall of Famer. I know you like the guy (so do I) and I know you're not being serious, but there are plenty of other campaign threads which are far more worthy of being made. Like a Jeff Jarrett thread. Get on that one, Ace.

Word to the wise: If listing a man's career highlights necessitates the use of Orlando Jordan's name, you're betting on the wrong horse.

I do think that JBL is an eventual hall of famer, but not likely here. By this time next year, there will only 9-10 members of this Hall Of Fame and I'm certain that JBL won't be one of them. By my calculations, we could be waiting up to 10 years before we get to a point where we can consider JBL as a Hall Of Famer.

He had a nice littler career and he has a lot to be proud of, unfortunately, I don't think being in the WZ Hall Of Fame is going to be on his list of accolades.

I'm fairly certain I could make a list of at least 100 wrestlers more deserving of the Hall of Fame then JBL and that would just be off the top of my head. He had a nice little career but he was only world champion once and it was on the B Show during one of its biggest down times ever. He is the definition of a right place right time champion.

Although JBL is a good and highly accomplished star, he probaly isn't in the top 50 for Hall of Fame canidates. The truth of the matter is this HOF only has one guy in it, and it is opened to all wrestlers. I understand that he had some impact on modern wrestling however he just doesn't cut it for me. I think sadly deserving guys may not get into the hall as soon as some would like to see considering in the entire wrestling history there has been so many names. I think it would be cool if he were to eventually get in, but his career isn't as impactful as some other superstars.

Personally, I wouldn't list him in the top 100. Maybe the top 150...but not the top 100. He had one decent run as champion in 2004-05, but has never consistently contended for a world championship since the Cena defeat.

JBL is definitely one of the BEST heels to ever be produced from the WWE. I remember him always retaining the WWE title in one way or another. The most notable one was against The Big Show. Which I think made him be recognized as one of the cleverest men to have ever stepped foot in a WWE ring.

He deserves a spot in the HOF in the next 10 years. He said he was open to returning to the WWE in some announcing or managing role. And I hope he does because JBL was one of the best heels ever.

My hat's off to JBL no pun intended.

He had some potential to be a great wrestler but just couldn't do it but all in all he was pretty decent but was awesome at the mic so I truly think he would be in the hall of fame in the next 10-15 yrs but he will make it to the HoF one day with in time and mostly be remembered as the longest wwe champ in smackdown history

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back