The Office Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Ausiello of EW is reporting that The Office's upcoming season will almost surely be Steve Carell's last:

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/06/28/steve-carell-office-exit/

Can The Office survive without Scranton Branch Manager Michael Scott?

Personally, I think it can survive for a season or two more without Carell. While he was integral to the show's success in its earlier seasons, we now have Ed Helms as a main cast member. His character, along with Jim and Pam Halpert and Dwight Schrute, should easily be able to fill any void left by Carell. So, in closing, I say let things be: let Carell go on to a film career whose prospects look more dismal by the day (he'll be begging to return to The Office within a matter of months after his contract expires).

Steve Carell confirms he is leaving The Office

Actor Steve Carell has confirmed he will leave the US version of The Office at the end of its 2010-2011 season.

"Yes, it will be my last," he told Us magazine at the Los Angeles premiere of his new animated film Despicable Me.

"It's the last on my contract, and I want to honour my contract," the 47-year-old is quoted as saying.

Carell plays egotistical office manager Michael Scott in the US sitcom, based on the BBC original created by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

The NBC network has yet to comment on his departure but is reportedly considering whether to continue the show without him.

Carell has starred in The Office since NBC launched its version of the "mockumentary" comedy series in 2005.

He won a Golden Globe for his work in the show in 2006 and was nominated for an Emmy four years running, losing on one occasion to Gervais.

Carell said he expected to be "very nostalgic" towards the end of his tenure, saying his colleagues were "some of my best friends in the world."

"But it will be good," continued the star of Evan Almighty and recent release Date Night. "It will be good for everybody."

So after this upcoming season Micheal Scott will be no more, I know the British Office fans prolly hate the American version of the show, but this has been one of the few shows that I looked forward to, although the past few seasons my interest in the show has gone down somewhat, largely due to it becoming so danm predictable from week to week, personally I don't think the show will be the same without Carell, or as good for that matter, Micheal Scott is essentially the main focus point of the show, with out him there where do you go?, I mean basically it would be like Seinfeld continuing without Jerry Seinfeld, it just doesn't work, I hope NBC decides not to continue the show without Carell, personally I would rather see them go out on or at least near the top, leaving us wanting more as opposed to sticking around too long, a problem that seems to plague a lot of great shows, there is really nowhere else to go with the Micheal/Pam realtionship, which next to Micheal Scotts was the other main focus of the show, & most of the cast has already made the transition into movies already anyway, so it's not like they would be suffering financially

The best thing would be to end the series along with Carrell's depature.

I wonder what they'd do if they chose to continue though... Part of the reason why the show has been so successful is the fact that the ensemble characters like Phyllis, Stanley, Oscar, etc. have had their moments to shine but have remained in smaller supporting roles the whole time. There was no overkill. With Michael's absence, we don't need any more attention on Jim & Pam (who get more than enough time already, and their storyline has played out) and it would just ruin things if they made the supporting characters something more than they need to be.

Plus what am I going to do with a Michael-less Dwight? So not okay.

Ugh without Steve Carell the show will suffer. Without Michael Scott, Dwght Shrute has no reason to act insane which then gives Jim no reason to make fun of him and make his life a living hell. I agree with Cookie, the show should end when Carell leaves.

I think it's time to call it quits on the Office even if Carell wasn't leaving. The show has gone down over the last two seasons anyway. Rather than hold on too long like some shows do it's probably best to end it now. One more season would be fine, but that's it. Besides the show wouldn't work without Michael Scott anyway.

Can someone please explain to me what the hell is so funny about "The Office"? I've attempted to watch both the American and British version of the show, and have found neither to be funny in the least. Each year I scratch my head and ask myself why this show wins Award after Award for best Comedy TV Show etc... I don't see how its funny. Whenever I attempt to watch it I find myself dumb founded at how stupid the show is and I find absolutely nothing funny with it.

Please Explain why its so funny. Thank you.

Can someone please explain to me what the hell is so funny about "The Office"? I've attempted to watch both the American and British version of the show, and have found neither to be funny in the least. Each year I scratch my head and ask myself why this show wins Award after Award for best Comedy TV Show etc... I don't see how its funny. Whenever I attempt to watch it I find myself dumb founded at how stupid the show is and I find absolutely nothing funny with it.

Please Explain why its so funny. Thank you.

You know, I have recently started watching the American Office and I really came into this thread to bump it with positivity but I would really like to see your thoughts on the show.

Now, you have told us that you think it is stupid but you don’t clarify. I mean, it is supposed to be stupid. It is supposed to be a half four of irrelevant and irreverent humour that just makes you laugh at the incompetency of the characters. The reason that this show wins so many awards is because it is fucking hilarious. It really doesn’t care who it offends and it really does seem as though none of it is staged at all. It is brilliantly ingenious and can make the tiniest little thing hilarious. I mean, the core of the show is not the basis for comedy gold. An office is not where you would expect a great comedy to be set but I think it is a tremendous show.

So tell me, what exactly do you dislike about the show and I will tell you why I think you are wrong. All you have done is bash the show with literally no other foundation that “I don’t think it is funny” to lean on but there must be more to it than that. Why isn’t it funny?

You ask us to tell you why it is funny but I would urge you to tell me why it isn’t first.

You know, I have recently started watching the American Office and I really came into this thread to bump it with positivity but I would really like to see your thoughts on the show.

Now, you have told us that you think it is stupid but you don’t clarify. I mean, it is supposed to be stupid. It is supposed to be a half four of irrelevant and irreverent humour that just makes you laugh at the incompetency of the characters. The reason that this show wins so many awards is because it is fucking hilarious. It really doesn’t care who it offends and it really does seem as though none of it is staged at all. It is brilliantly ingenious and can make the tiniest little thing hilarious. I mean, the core of the show is not the basis for comedy gold. An office is not where you would expect a great comedy to be set but I think it is a tremendous show.

So tell me, what exactly do you dislike about the show and I will tell you why I think you are wrong. All you have done is bash the show with literally no other foundation that “I don’t think it is funny” to lean on but there must be more to it than that. Why isn’t it funny?

You ask us to tell you why it is funny but I would urge you to tell me why it isn’t first.

You are absolutely right, I did not clarify and I apologize for not doing so at first, so I will now. I get that the show is suppose to work on the premise that theres a group of weird/stupid people working in an office (correct me if I'm wrong), however I just can't seem to get into the stupid stuff they do. I watched an episode were these two guys (a fat one with a mustache and the main character) call this guy that's in there office to prank call him, not knowing hes in there office, I understood it was stupid but I couldn't pull myself to laugh about it. I'll admit I'm not a full time watcher of the show, clearly, but I do give TV Shows a fair shot because you never know what episode you watch, if its the worse one or not, so I attempt to watch 3-4 before making a judgment, and as I watched these odd and weirdly stupid characters doing things that are so stupid, that I can were it could be funny, but it just isn't in any way.

I don't really know how I could better explain then that, in short, I realize its suppose to be stupid people doing stupid things in an office and because its stupid its funny, but in my opinion it is far from funny, its just stupid and dull.

Like I said, I tried to explain that the best I could, please feel free to disagree with me and tell me why you like it. It might just be you find the stupid acts funny, the thing is I usually like the stupid acts during comedy shows but for this particular show I just can't seem to get into it... at all.

You are absolutely right, I did not clarify and I apologize for not doing so at first, so I will now. I get that the show is suppose to work on the premise that theres a group of weird/stupid people working in an office (correct me if I'm wrong), however I just can't seem to get into the stupid stuff they do. I watched an episode were these two guys (a fat one with a mustache and the main character) call this guy that's in there office to prank call him, not knowing hes in there office, I understood it was stupid but I couldn't pull myself to laugh about it. I'll admit I'm not a full time watcher of the show, clearly, but I do give TV Shows a fair shot because you never know what episode you watch, if its the worse one or not, so I attempt to watch 3-4 before making a judgment, and as I watched these odd and weirdly stupid characters doing things that are so stupid, that I can were it could be funny, but it just isn't in any way.

I don't really know how I could better explain then that, in short, I realize its suppose to be stupid people doing stupid things in an office and because its stupid its funny, but in my opinion it is far from funny, its just stupid and dull.

Like I said, I tried to explain that the best I could, please feel free to disagree with me and tell me why you like it. It might just be you find the stupid acts funny, the thing is I usually like the stupid acts during comedy shows but for this particular show I just can't seem to get into it... at all.

I completely understand that and really I think this comes down to a matter of opinion. However, I guess the best way you would describe it is “stupid”…

But in all seriousness, I don’t even think it is just about “stupid people” doing “stupid things”. I think it more about being a great situation comedy. Steve Carrell is absolutely brilliant and the fact that he is so deluded is just a privilege to watch. His performances are utterly flawless and I cannot find one fault in his representation in the show. The cast, for being so big of an ensemble are brilliantly independent and comedic in their own ways that I can’t help but laugh. Take Dwight for example… He is the one who looks like he has a 3 foot long forehead. Since season 1, he has managed to develop his character and be more than the annoying guy that just latches on to everything that Michael (The Boss) says. Of course, that is a big part of his character but there is more to it than that. For me, the portrayals of the characters are the best thing about the show.

However, it is more than a stupid comedy show. The relationship between Pam and Jim is a great spin-off from the UK series and has probably been better portrayed on the US version of the show. I find it really hard to get into comedy shows that force relationships on the audience but when it is done right, I fall for it. Scrubs managed it and The Office has managed it too. The situations that all of the characters get into are just brilliant. Can you imagine having a boss like that who was just so clueless that it was shocking that he was in charge? For me, this show is just a 30 minute spell that I don’t have to be serious and I think that is what is missing from your viewings.

When I first watched this show, I wasn’t sure what to make of it. I watched a couple of episodes and the opinion you have was pretty much the one I had too. However, I started from the start and just forgot about all of the pre-conceived notions I had about the show and just wanted to watch it to be entertained and that is exactly what happened. I would ask you to watch it from the start and don’t think about the fact that it is just “stupid people doing stupid things”. Rather, think about it as a comedy that you want to be entertained by and I promise you that you will enjoy it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back