The New Radicalz?

ShawnBronald

Pre-Show Stalwart
Okay, this is something I've been thinking about for a while now. After reading a thread on the TNA section questioning whether AJ Styles will ever become a big star in TNA, I decided to revisit this idea.

So everyone remembers the Radicalz. It was a group consisting of Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero. More importantly, it consisted of former WCW talent that bolted to WWE when their contracts were up since Eric Bischoff refused to give them the main event push they desired (and certainly deserved!), instead constantly giving those spots to over-the-hill stars of yesteryear.

Fast forward to today. In TNA, Bischoff is once again in charge and we've got several talents that are being underutilized or flat out misused. All the while main event spots are going to the likes of Sting, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan(?), Kurt Angle, etc.

Here's my question: Could or would a modern day group of Radicalz consisting this time of Samoa Joe and AJ Styles work? Hell, if Bobby Roode's "push" doesn't work out, I have to honestly wonder if you couldn't throw him and James Storm into this new group of defectors. They're all very talented but have not been given that big push. They may not exactly fit that mold of what WWE's looking for, but neither did Malenko, Saturn, Benoit and Guerrero and that worked out well for WWE.... at the time (especially if you ignore a couple things in hindsight).

Here's how I see it. It's no secret that WWE is strongly looking at Beer Money (Roode and Storm). Also, there have been rumblings of interest in Joe. Styles is the wild card here, but it's obvious he's talented and definitely fits the Benoit, Jericho, Punk, etc. mold of an undersized, uber-gifted wrestler.

I know a lot of people will scoff at the idea, but I really don't think it's as far fetched as it seems. Is it likely to happen? Probably not, at least not the same way the original "Radicalz" did. But could it happen in theory? I truly believe so.

i feel like i have started this thread haha

but yeah it probably would be a good idea but the majority of WWE's core audience would not know who the hell these guys were. Back in 2000 the radicalz were all major stars in the wrestling world and pretty much everyone knew who they were.

If wwe did this then they would have to introduce them to the fans through vignettes and what not instead of just having them turn up on Raw like the radicalz did. Cool idea though.

I Like The Idea Of It. I Think That It Could Really Work Out For Everyone In The Deal, Especially Joe. Think Of His ROH Battles With CM PUNK, Not To Mention Beer Money Immediately Legitimatizes The Tag Team Division That Is Sorely In Need Of A Boost. And AJ Would Fit Right In....He Is Good Enough To Be Consider A Heavy Favorite For Most Titles And The US Title/IC Title Would Immediately Get A Boost.

I would love to see this happen. The team I would put together is A. J. Styles, Samoa Joe, and Abyss. That, in my opinion, is the heart and soul and body of TNA. Taking them from Impact Wrestling would be huge and keeping them together in the WWE for, at the very least, their initial run would make a great storyline. As far as Beer Money goes, I’d keep them separate from this faction and just put them in them in the Tag Team Division, much like how Chris Jericho wasn’t a part of the Radicalz at the beginning.

I for one really like this idea because they are the heart of TNA and are now being put behind the likes of Sting, Anderson, Angle and others that for the most part were a big part of another company in the past.

guys like Somoa Joe, AJ Styles, Bobby Roode and James Storm still could have a bright future if given the chance. It looks like they may put the belt on Roode but I'm not sure if they will. Heck it could be a Benoit/Sid situation all over again.

I think if they showed up on Raw periodically seen before making an impact. Say more like Raven and the flock did in WCW and not sitting from row like the radicalz did. I think this would work better for them. Then one day they come in and jump a few of WWE's stars like maybe Miz. Then boom, theres a group taking on WWE home grown talent. This could be the start of Miz's face turn everyone is looking forward to to. Heel or Face I think your idea would work. They don't have to be main eventing right away either. Just like Radicalz they jumped into the European, Tag, and IC title pic and These guys could do the same witht he US, Tag and IC title picture.

I think it'd be a good way to bring out the talent these guys have and for them be a way they can make money for being this talented.

So if it happens I'd go with AJ, Joe, Roode, Storm and possibly Abyss, Kaz or Eric Young. I don't think Daniels fits anything WWE would be looking for.

Hey they could even put Miz in charge with Truth and these guys and be part of the conspiracy as to why WWE never signed them in the past.

I'm not so sure this is necessary/would work.

The Radicalz is one of those factions that's looked at through rose-tinted glasses. There wasn't a great deal of character/charisma there. They really wasn't much in terms of storyline with the stable as a whole. What i'm saying is, they were a great group of wrestlers, but they were terrible as a stable (I know that'll hurt some people..).

The whole concept was that they'd jumped ship at the same time, and all happened to be good wrestlers. TNA could only really use 50% of that, as they've all been there for some time.

Plus, you basically had this angle with either the 'Front Line' (also, one of the worst stables in history) or Fourtune (Yes, i'm sticking to the 'Four' part!), both of which have been pretty epic failures, unfortunately. Both of which I was actually a huge fan of and could see a mile of potential for. But TNA screwed it up (again, coming from a TNA fan..).

Plus, the New Radicals are a band ;) (ok, that part's just having some fun..).

Selby

Here's how I see it. It's no secret that WWE is strongly looking at Beer Money (Roode and Storm).

I don't mean to sound like a negative nitpick here, but do you have any evidence for that?

That's the first i've heard of it. If so, it'd be such a wise purchase for WWE.

Trouble is, they wouldn't be Beer Money. They'd probably give them a nice 'real life' name like Brandon Tyson and Steve Belarus or something unreal...

Selby

I like the idea of it, but as mikde_ said, these guys are relative unknowns to the majority of everyday casual fans. That being said, I believe that hey could make a huge splash in WWE if they're portrayed correctly. First of all, they would need some kind of introduction. Not so much vignettes, but maybe footage from the indy's, or maybe just them beating up guys in FCW on hand held cameras made to look like the indy's. I don't thing Vince would get tapes from ROH, but those would work perfectly for Joe especially. They would have to be promoted seperately (not Beer Money, they're a tag team), but have them shown in different segments, not as a unit. Then, have them all do seperate run-ins on the same Raw, and have them ALL storm the ring during the main event, kinda Nexus-y, except have Bobby Roode cut a huge promo at the end about who they are and what they want. Sound like a plan? Okay Vince, make it happen.

Ah, my apologies. I think I mis-read.

If this stable was to be bought in to WWE..? Hmm. I can't see really Vince giving TNA that 'spotlight' (indirectly, I know).

WCW were genuine competition, and TNA arn't. I guess that's the big difference there. 85% of fans just will not know who these guys are.

Selby

I think it could work provided Vince decides its ok to awknowledge their past accomplishments in TNA and ROH.

Despite what many people say here (common argument is that only 10% of WWE Fans knows the TNA product) ... having Samoa Joe and AJ Styles crash a WWE even will be huge news and make shockwaves in the industry.

Now with Mick Foley signiing with the WWE and, just like the Radicalz 2000 debut, I can see Foley as the mastermind for this.

I would love to see this happen. The team I would put together is A. J. Styles, Samoa Joe, and Abyss. That, in my opinion, is the heart and soul and body of TNA. Taking them from Impact Wrestling would be huge and keeping them together in the WWE for, at the very least, their initial run would make a great storyline. As far as Beer Money goes, I’d keep them separate from this faction and just put them in them in the Tag Team Division, much like how Chris Jericho wasn’t a part of the Radicalz at the beginning.

You know, I totally forgot about Abyss (that's what happens when you start a new thread before you've had your morning coffee). Anyway, I completely agree with you. He's a solid talent that's been pushed aside for the "WWE Rejects", so to speak. He got a semi-push with the whole 'Hulkamania/HOF Ring' gimmick, but that didn't go over so well. I see him as the Perry Saturn of the bunch. If he was involved, though, I hope WWE wouldn't just stick him with a mop down the line. :suspic: Honestly, he could be the Mick Foley/Mankind (obvious comparison) of this generation.

first the Radicals contracts were not up...the big Bisch told them if they didnt like the company and the way it was ran he would grant them there release. just a little fyi.. If you recall Benoit was still the champion at the time.

I personally would like to see that happen but it won't and here's why:

At that time WCW was still fairly popular but not as much as WWF/E. When Benoit, Eddie and the rest came over to WWE people had an idea who they were. They were able to use them in a storyline and people knew who they were to an extent. There isn't any way WWE could pull this off with TNA.

Even if guys like Joe and Styles came over to WWE, most of the crowd wouldn't have any idea who they are. And if you think about it, if WWE really pulled the trigger with this, you know for a fact some TNA remark would get mentioned and that ultimately would help TNA. I highly doubt Vince wants that, especially now.

Bottom line is 12 years ago it worked, but 12 years later, I think not.

Have foley return and say he brought some friends, who like him didn't like their last job. You could have AJ, Samoa joe and beer money with Foley as their mentor/manager on the ways of WWE... You could make tag team legit again with Beer Money and AJ/Joe could challange for other titles.

Sadly I don't see WWE signing joe as he doesn't really fit their "mold"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back