• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Miz could potentially be the Best WWE Champ in years?

Tha Wolfpac

Hey Yo...
Now this isn't a OMG! Miz is the best champion ever and the best superstar ever thread. So please take your happiness somewhere else. I want to focus on the Miz's actual title reign. Now Miz could be a transitional champion judging by last week's booking of Miz's first defense. But what I saw was a similar match structure in that of when JBL was champion. JBL was nothing much and nobody really cared about him as a single's competitor but his title reign made people notice him. And I say let The Miz take a similar route.

The Miz is a beatable champion, and what I mean by that is he never looks like a certain winner which is good for a heel champ. The Miz should be booked as a coward that no matter what the odds he finds a way to win a screw over his opponent. The Miz is very good on the mic. He can build feuds and matches very well, but his wrestling ability is still a work in progress but better than average. The Miz is whiny, cocky and entertaining much like JBL. A similar booking of Miz would be excellent for The Miz as WWE champion and really cement him as a main eventer.

Discuss, what do you guys think of my argument? Right/Wrong

Do you see Miz as a transitional champion? Why/ Why Not

I think you've made some good points. When it comes to The Miz, his overall potential as champion is something that's just been a lot of fun to discuss for the past few weeks. I'm a fan of the guy and I'm glad to see that he's been given a chance, so I'm not just going to bury him before he's really even had much of an opportunity to get out of the gate.

I've read a few posts here and there paralelling Miz with Jack Swagger but The Miz is in an overall much stronger position than Swagger. Swagger's win of the WHC felt like a "I bet you didn't see that one coming" special care of Vince Russo where as the WWE has been steadily building The Miz into a legit star over the course of a year. The Miz also, reportedly, works his ass off in promoting the WWE and just getting out there and hyping anything he can. Ideally, I think that's something that the company would want. After all, The Miz's title win and defense last Monday has been all over the media. If Vince pulls the title off Miz soon, it'll just look horrible for everyone all around.

The Miz does come across as a beatable champion. So did Shawn Michaels, so did Ric Flair, so has Randy Orton during various reigns. A lot of internet fans seem to have this almost obssession at times with dominant heel champions that just run wild over everyone. Heels are supposed to be underhanded, they're supposed to take shortcuts, they're supposed to look "inferior" to the faces. When they win titles, it's the most common thing in the world for them to cheat their asses off to score the win and/or at least keep the championship.

I might turn out to be wrong, but I've got faith in The Miz just as I had faith in Sheamus. I think The Miz will show a lot of naysayers what he's got and that he's got the stuff to be a long term player on the big stage.

You bring up a good point.

I wouldn't go as far to say he'll be the best WWE champ in years,(although it is possible, he has only been champ for 3 weeks) but I am very intrigued and excited for his current reign. Now you bring up a good point, Miz will never be the clear favorite to retain the championship, which is good for a heel champion. However, I do feel at points when he'll have to take on some more powerful opponents(HHH, Cena) he'll won't look like a believable champion. But with time I'm sure Miz can cement himself as a great champion and a solid main eventer. A JBL style reign would do wonders for him.

Unfortunately, I do see Miz as a transitional champ at this point in time. It is a very hard few months for a new WWE champion right now, as I can't see WWE advertising Miz heading WrestleMania, but I fully expect him to hold the title until Elimination Chamber. After Mania I also expect him to enter the WWE title scene once again. But who knows, maybe Miz will carry the WWE title into Mania, stranger things have happened.

I say your argument is correct for the most part, but I don't expect Miz show us that he's the best champion in years with this reign. Perhaps down the road he will earn that title. Only time will tell.

You thought of a good point but I have to disagree.

I doubt he will hold the tittle nearly as long as JBL did with Orton, Sheamus, Cena, and HHH around more derseving of a tittle then Mr Awesome Miz. Although if WWE did have him as champ untill atleast the Rumble it would definatly bring him to a higher status.

As MizFit said, "It is a very hard few months for a new WWE champion right now" WWE would not have him headline Mania.

In due time he will earn the tittle and hold for a while I strongly agree with (Unfortunately)

I think the Miz has all the qualities for a great heel champion. There is so much to dislike about the way he carries himself and he simply gets under your skin. He is everything that a heel is supposed to be. I remember Jericho discussing in his book about how heels shouldn't be encourage in anyway to be cheered. Faces are meant to be cheered and the heels are meant to make you want to cheer the faces. That's why Vince was such a good heel. Nobody wanted to cheer Vince in anyway. And as a result, he enchanced every star he came near.

The Miz is about a good a heel as anyone could hope for in a company that doesn't resort to bloodying their guys up and yelling profanities at everyone. Throw in the fact that he came from reality T.V. and he has all the potential in the world as a heel.

I think a JBL type title reign would suit him fine.

I feel that the cowardly heel, cheat to win style could work really well for The Miz. I'm excited to see how his title run could work out. I agree with the OP that he could take the role of JBL and never be the clear, consensus favorite to win but still have a good, lengthy title reign. Miz is very cocky and I feel screwing over his opponents may be the best way to book his run. I don't see him as a credible threat to top names like Cena, HHH or even Orton so something needs to be done to make him be able to retain the title a few times.

If the Miz is doing the JBL role, then he is just warming the seat for the real breakout star of tomorrow. JBL was hardly seen as credible by his peers on screen during the run. HHH even mocked him during the Rumble one year if I remember correctly.

The role would be to make it believable that the next breakout star can beat him and thus become a world champion. JBL was someone that the crowd believe can be beaten by Cena and we know what happened after Cena won his first title. The first step towards mega stardom. For all we know he could be warming the seat for a Morrison/Kofi/Ziggler run as champion.

Umm nothing needs to be done to make Miz retain the title. Something needs to be done so he loses it. I am wondering if a lot of younger fans are the ones saying the Miz kicks so much ass, because most of the people who have been following wrestling for most of their lives see him as one of the latest jokes to be handed a world title without deserving it. Maybe I should go on MTV and look like a ******, really that is all this guy has done.

I doubt he will just be a transitional champion, but anything can happen. He wont be a dominate champion in my opinion because that's not his character.I agree with the comparisons to JBL. Miz could be champion for a long time just like JBL was. He is hated as much if not more than JBL was, and people will pay to see him get his ass kicked and hopefully lose.

I think the WWE has done a great job building him into a top heel. I'm sure he'll get cheap wins against guys like Orton and Cena before dropping the title to probably either Orton or Cena. I think WWE will keep the belt on him for a while mainly because they're getting a lot of press for having a former reality TV star being champion.

Umm nothing needs to be done to make Miz retain the title. Something needs to be done so he loses it. I am wondering if a lot of younger fans are the ones saying the Miz kicks so much ass, because most of the people who have been following wrestling for most of their lives see him as one of the latest jokes to be handed a world title without deserving it. Maybe I should go on MTV and look like a ******, really that is all this guy has done.

Oh so the fans know who deserves the title and not the people IN THE COMPANY.

Miz worked his ass off to get where he is. Being the host of smackdown to this? That's an accomplishment.

He was also in the indys before tough enough which some people forget.

I sense some jealously from so many people because they continue to complain about wrestling and Miz being champion for example, acting like they can do better but wont go for it when the Miz did and accomplished it.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
finally somewun speaks the truth! im sick of all this Miz jock riding. i mean yeh he may be entertaining to listen to and good on the mic, but how can this guy be taken seriously?? ITS THE GUY FROM THE DAMN REAL WORLD, and now he's spose to be wrestling the top guys in the business? AS CHAMPION!? gimmie a break. YEah i respect what he's been able to accomplish, but i also respect Souljah Boy for accomplishing what he has too lolz

its not Miz's fault tho. if i worked hard for my dream and somwun gave me an oppertunity to do it, hell yeah id jump at it. My thing is no matter how hard he's worked, he has no business being champion, especially when u have greats that were never even given the oppertunity

and as far as this goes:

He can build feuds and matches very well, but his wrestling ability is still a work in progress but better than average.

:wtf:...........Better than average?????.....come on now, lets not make jokes...:disappointed:

ok seriously the Miz is gold. He is the next HBK the only difference is the condence all the on air stuff it took HBK 8+ year into 3-4. (oh and before you say I'm a starry eyed kid Ive been watching wrestling for over 20 years) He became relevant as a tag team turned on his partner, won numerous mid-card singles titles with legitimate reigns in which he cleanly beat many future main eventers.

He has better mic skills than Orton (He carried an imaginary fued with Cena for over a month by himself basically) nearly on par with Cena and Jericho.

He has instant recognition with those of us who grew up in the MTV Real World era... drawing in a demographic that wrestling in general has lost since the PG era began

He has steadily improved his in ring skills and before you laugh at me I have one question "Since when does in ring ability matter?" the anwser is simple... I get beat down a bit then shoulder block 3 times, back body drop, 5 knuckle shuffle, and and AA to finish it off 1... 2... 3 ding ding I just summed up every match of the 9 time Champion John Cena.

All in all the Miz is the WWE champion he earned it and he deserves it and unlike with Jack Swagger the WWE did not make a mistake. I forsee a very Edge like title run where he will beat people in classic heel ways (why do you think they gave him Alex Riley as a lackey) but he will defend the title legitimately every so often to give him crediblity. However I doubt he makes it out of Elimanation Chamber as champion but I see a possible 3 way at Wrestlemainia and he weasels his way to a win over Cena and Orton.

I get the OP's point. Kinda like Edge was when he was doing his Ultimate Opportunist gimmick. He will keep the belt till WM I believe. I think him and Orton will have a main-event program at 'Mania.

This coward heel gimmick is great for Miz, because he obviously doesn't have the dominating brawler chops of Austin or the over-agressive mat-skills of a Angle or Tazz to be ever booked superior in a match.But when someone does beat a heel like that, the crowd does pop huge for the face and make him even more popular.

He is the guy that anybody and nobody can beat at the same time

but see the difference here is that Edge can actually wrestle and put on a decent match and is good in the ring. Miz wudnt be sooo bad if he was actually a wrestler. I cant take him seriously. its almost like another hornswoggle as far as im concerned

I think he could potentially do anything. I truly believe the sky is the limit for him. I think he is better than decent in the ring, has a great Finisher and is obviously STELLAR on the mic.

I do not think this is his lengthy title reign though. Given all the guys that WWE seems to want to push, I don't know how long he will be able to hold onto it.

Also, even though he is bringing more mainstream coverage in the media and whatnot, I do not think he is ready to be the main event for Wrestlemania. I think he has what it takes to headline other PPV's, but not Wrestlemania yet.

So, I think he will probably lose it before Wrestlemania and WWE will set up some other feud for him as they do the same for the WWE Title.

I think next year he will probably be in position to Main Event it. But at this point, it feels a little too soon.

Now Miz could be a transitional champion judging by last week's booking of Miz's first defense. But what I saw was a similar match structure in that of when JBL was champion. JBL was nothing much and nobody really cared about him as a single's competitor but his title reign made people notice him. And I say let The Miz take a similar route.

The Miz is a beatable champion, and what I mean by that is he never looks like a certain winner which is good for a heel champ. The Miz should be booked as a coward that no matter what the odds he finds a way to win a screw over his opponent. The Miz is very good on the mic. He can build feuds and matches very well, but his wrestling ability is still a work in progress but better than average. The Miz is whiny, cocky and entertaining much like JBL. A similar booking of Miz would be excellent for The Miz as WWE champion and really cement him as a main eventer.

This is a VERY good post. I initally hated the fact that The Miz had become champion, but the more I see him with the belt, the more I think that if booked right, he could work as a champ. Exactly like JBL as you said.

He will never be able to be a dominant champion, he hasnt got the look or size to do that, but as a sneaky, cowardly heel I think he could be a success. They need to book him to barely escape with the belt every time, looking like he is going to lose before either cheating to win or pull out a surprise win. This will infuriate the fans who will end up being desperate to see him lose the title.

He can use his excellent promo skills to wind up the crowd more, claiming how awesome he is and how he is the greatest, msot dominant and spectacular champion of all time, while they all know how lucky he is to still be holding the gold.

As with JBL, the longer he held the belt and continued to cut excellent promos about how great he was, he ended up being a believable champion, who looked like he SHOULD be at main event level.

I think The Miz could do something similar, and be a very good champion for the WWE, with a decent length reign. Perhaps a bodyguard could be useful for him too, and could help him pull out even more cheating/lucky victories.

The main problem that I have with the analogy that some have been making in comparing Miz to some other prior champions (HBK, edge, JBL) is that the others, while sneaky and certainly cheating, were still built as legitimate contenders that belonged in the title picture. As of right now, Miz is being portrayed as legitimately weak...he can't even defeat daniel bryan for the intercontinental champion, so how is he a legitimate heavyweight title holder?

And last week, he couldn't even defeat the King without Cole's interference. Call it what you will, but if the WWE wants us to take the Miz seriously (and I suppose by "us" I mean those that aren't slavering Miz moaners) he should at least be somewhat credible of a contender. So right now, no, I don't see him as a good champion.

The Miz becoming champion definitely reminds me of JBL's title reign, I was younger back then and I literally couldn't wait to see JBL get his ass handed to him because of how much I hated him. Which just proved how good of a heel he was. I can see The Miz being the exact same way as in really getting under people's skins and fans buying ppvs hoping that he will lose. I hope he won't become a transitional champion, hes not the greatest wrestler ever, but hes entertaining as fuck and deserves the spot hes in despite how much ive always hated him.

I think the Miz isn't going to have a long title run, THIS time. He's going to be with the WWE for the long haul and will win mulitple world titles though. I see him losing it at the Rumble and winning it again sometime around Summerslam next year. Just my idea of course with no proof. I just don't seem him holding the title for a long time or being in the main event picture for Wrestlemania.
Whether I'm wrong or right, it could be an interesting title reign. I just hope he gets some legitimate wins and not just 'flukes' like Sheamus had.

Im not sure how that would qualify Miz as the best WWE Champion in years. You mentioned JBL and his ability to win by any means necessary. He wasn't exactly a great champion, Resourceful, yes. Great, absolutely not.

A great champion needs to be one that takes on all comers and still comes out on top. Randy Orton was a great champion even as a heel because he won clean at times. I look at John Cena at the best champion in recent memory. The logic is really quite simple.

When Cena won the belt from Edge at Unforgiven 2006 in a TLC match, he defended it in every means possible, against every type of competitor. His resume along the way reads:

-Defeated Edge in a at Steel Cage match 2 weeks later to retain the title.
-defeated Umaga.at New Years Revolution 2007 to end Umaga's undefeated streak
-defeated Umaga in his return match at the Royal Rumble in a Last Man Standing Match
-Defeated Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 23 by submission.
-Pinned Randy Orton in a Fatal Four Way Match at Backlash.
-Handed The Great Khali his first submission loss at Judgment Day.
-Handed The Great Khali his first pinfall loss the following month at Extreme Rules
-pinned Mick Foley in a five way Champions challenge match that also included Booker T, Randy Orton, and Bobby Lashley at Vengeance.
- Defeated Bobby Lashley by pinfall at the Bash.
-defeated Randy Orton by pinfall at Summerslam.
-Retained against Randy Orton again at Unforgiven.

I only make this list to show what a strong champion Cena was, and what Miz would have to accomplish to become said great champion you propose he can be. A nice coo for the Miz would be for him to defeat some of the big names within WWE like John Cena and Randy Orton, and it doesnt have to be clean either. As a heel, he can get away with cheap victories, and still be a good champion. I do see some validity to your argument here.

But I do see miz as a transitional champion. And there's nothing worng with that. Edge is a 9 time transitional champion. CM Punk is a 3 time transitional champion. I could list more, but Im sure you get the point. Being a transitional champion isnt necessarily a bad thing. If Miz can have a few successful title defenses, cheap or not, his first title reign will be a good one.

In comparison to other champions I see The Miz being booked simliar to Chris Jericho's first title run as the Undisputed Champion. Which actually happened 9 years ago yesterday. Regardless, Jericho was an underdog champion who got away with "stealing" wins from Rock and Austin at PPVs and only had a 3 month reign. Thats essentially teh same type of role Miz is playing currently.

Meanwhile I am on the subject of The Miz....I'm no big Miz mark but I don't understand why people talk so much shit about him being on The Real World and it means he has no crediblity as a WWE Superstar....Does no one realize that he trained and wrestled at UPW for 3 years before entering WWE? This is the same school that taught Cena, Samoa Joe, Victoria, Kazarian, Mike Knox, etc and none of them get shit on. So what the guy was on Real World...how does that make him less of an athlete?!? We all know he's not in this for the fame and truly LOVES wrestling and has wanted it his whole life so thats not even a good excuse...Its just getting REALLY old.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
finally somewun speaks the truth! im sick of all this Miz jock riding. i mean yeh he may be entertaining to listen to and good on the mic, but how can this guy be taken seriously?? ITS THE GUY FROM THE DAMN REAL WORLD, and now he's spose to be wrestling the top guys in the business? AS CHAMPION!? gimmie a break. YEah i respect what he's been able to accomplish, but i also respect Souljah Boy for accomplishing what he has too lolz

its not Miz's fault tho. if i worked hard for my dream and somwun gave me an oppertunity to do it, hell yeah id jump at it. My thing is no matter how hard he's worked, he has no business being champion, especially when u have greats that were never even given the oppertunity

and as far as this goes:

:wtf:...........Better than average?????.....come on now, lets not make jokes...:disappointed:

These posts are somewhat redundant, as well as ridiculous. But more than anything, this particular post is contradictory.

How can you say he is entertaining and then say he does not deserve it? Isn't that the point of being a pro wrestler? TO ENTERTAIN!!??

Miz being on the Real World should have no effect on his credibility. The guy has worked hard to get where he is. He definitely has paid dues. You name it, he has taken criticism everywhere. From "The WWE Universe", his peers, and critics.

The Miz obviously has talent. He might not be the biggest or have the most shredded physique. But he is built to be a wrestler. He is easily serviceable in the ring and is improving all the time.

His mic skills are beyond the need to defend. If someone can't see his talent there, they have no business commenting here, or even watching wrestling period.

But, the thing about him that goes the most unnoticed or unappreciated, is his overall aura in the business in general. His ability to tell a story and bring heat to himself is very underrated. AND that is a true attribute in the business. The way a guy can get the crowd to react to him is what defines him.

He plays his character more than great. When was the last time Lawler was in a match? His TLC match with Miz has been talked about pretty favorably. Who is responsible for that? The Miz is. He did a great job carrying that match.

Complaints are made about Legends who deserved, but never captured the WWE Title. Jerry Lawler, in a sense, is one of them. Sure he is passed his prime now, but it should be noteworthy, as well as commendable, that Miz made a "Legend" look so damn good.

The complaints need to stop, really. It can't be changed. So it really seems like haters continue to add up. Just because the guy already had made a name for himself before he started wrestling, does not mean he doesn't deserve it!!

When people achieve their dreams, it is natural to have some other type of employment or opportunities before you have succeeded. The guy always expressed his love for wrestling and was able to do what it took to get there.

If WWE is going to book The Miz as a transitional champion or filler so the next big thing can come in and get the spotlight, all I can say is WWE fails again. The Miz is the first truly developed talent to make it to the main event since Jeff Hardy. And now you are gonna tell me that the better part of 10 months making the guy seem big are just so a bigger guy can knock him off? Does that make sense? I'm not much of a fan of the guy, but doing that sort of thing would kill every ounce of potential for him. Just like it did for Sheamus last year. Big title win, but no substance to his actual title run.

But as for being the best WWE Champion in recent years, no. He might be a good one, but not the best. He's still fresh into this territory. You can't assume something simply out of sheer comparison.

I think this reign will be like Sheamus this time last year!! They tried him out as the champion and well it worked on Sheamus.. I don't think he will go as far as WrestleMania with the title.. but this reign, even if its til Royal Rumble I think Miz could make it as a good champion..Maybe not since years!! but we'll have to see about that after this reign.

He might. But it's too soon to tell, he hasn't even been champion for a month yet.

I like the Miz. However, I'm getting really annoyed at how a lot of people have been going "he works his damn ass off" etc etc
Well, here's the thing though. MOST of the WWE superstars HAVE worked their asses off. Look at Daniel Bryan, he's arguably the best technical wrestler in the world, and he didn't become that good by just wishing on some wishing well, he's probably worked harder than the Miz. Most guys who are better than the Miz have worked their asses off to become as good as they are. Not every talented in-ring wrestler is a natural like Shelton Benjamin. Most of the wrestlers who are better than the Miz have become that good BY WORKING THEIR ASSES OFF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back