• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Ice Bucket Challenge

Any particular reason they can't just fucking walk like any other Awareness Fundraisers instead of wasting thousands of gallons of water?

wetnwild.jpg

Firstly, you get out of contributing to the cause by being narcissistic, which is the exact opposite of what charity should be. Secondly, if you dodge the challenge, you won't necessarily donate, making it pointless. Finally, half the people doing it have no idea what it's for. They're not raising awareness, they are just pouring cold water over themselves.

I understand the need for a gimmick to promote the charity, but the system is very much flawed.

Барбоса;4974423 said:
So flawed that there is seemingly $50 million raised for the ALS charities that would not otherwise have been?

That's more to do with the coverage it's received as opposed to the system itself. If it wasn't for the gimmick that appealed to people's narcissism, it would never have gotten close to viral.

The donations suggest that that system is working fine enough.

As I mentioned already, who cares how it is getting people to donate? The important part is it is getting people to donate.

Sure, it could always be more but focusing on that side of it is completely pointless and in some way is far more narcissistic and glory seeking than those doing the challenge.

If it raised that much its great.

Hey I dont have a credit card and live in Asia. Is there anyway I can donate? I kinda got challenged and do wanna donate too if I do that shit.

It's annoying as fuck that a ton of ***** on my Facebook are doing it without donating/even mentioning what the challenge it's for. It's becoming almost as annoying as those silly neck nominations.

Hey I dont have a credit card and live in Asia. Is there anyway I can donate? I kinda got challenged and do wanna donate too if I do that shit.

Depending on where you're at in Asia you could be on the receiving end of some charities.

It's annoying as fuck that a ton of ***** on my Facebook are doing it without donating/even mentioning what the challenge it's for. It's becoming almost as annoying as those silly neck nominations.

That's what I'm saying! I'm all game for a great cause raking in the donations. But half of the videos don't even mention the cause to begin with.

"Yeh so like I gots challenged to do dis by Stacy. But first let me challenge Amy, Ricky, and my neighbor Joe. You have 24 hours."
*splash*
"Das so cold!!!"

I guess though that at the end of the day it still is doing a remarkable thing for ALS research. Just like everything in life, there's going to be a select few peabrains put their shitty mark on it.

I don't understand why people complain about the ice bucket challenge. Yeah, you could just donate money and ignore the challenge but that doesn't get attention. So what if not everyone donates. More money was raised for ALS in a three week period than all of 2013. How can you possibly argue with that? So the videos on your facebook wall are a little annoying. Who cares? Don't watch them. This thing has been a success.

Is as stupid as the Fire challenge.

Now that's a stupid comment.

Every man, woman, child and their dog has done the challenge if you think thats not wasting water your delusional.

People waste water every day, even yourself. So what's the problem with a fundraiser awareness challenge using a bucket of water?

This being part of people's conversation points is just petty.

I still have no idea what ALS is for and yes i could google it but with all of this attention shouldnt i know whats going on?

Admitting you are too lazy to Google something is not helping. At the point this has reached, everyone knows what the challenge is for. Those who dont know the details, take a very minimal amount of time out of their day to look it up. Nitpicking about how many people describe the intent\purpose of the challenge is just absurd. It's bitching for the sake of bitching.

We here at the THC wanted to let you know that we take all forms of payment for donations. Once you are done drying off that chilly water, warm your heart by donating to feed & medicate your fellow man.

THC- it's what's best for business & our business is people.

Admitting you are too lazy to Google something is not helping. At the point this has reached, everyone knows what the challenge is for. Those who dont know the details, take a very minimal amount of time out of their day to look it up. Nitpicking about how many people describe the intent\purpose of the challenge is just absurd. It's bitching for the sake of bitching.

Most places in the world call ALS Motor Neuron Disease, hence the confusion.

I understand where confusion over naming could play in, but again how long does it take to Google something? Especially when the people complaining about it likely have instant internet access (phone or computer) & already use Google a dozen times a day to look up random things anyway.

As is your god given right.

IDK, what that is, but it sounds delicious. I cant be bothered to look it up though, so you better get to explaining.

When i say i dont know what it is i'm talking like details, people just say "ALS, donate" I'm not going to go out of my way and google something if i have no interest in it(as in I dont find the Ice bicket challenge interesting not raising money for charity)

Also I read somewhere that the money is going to a for profit charity meaning not all the money is actually going to research

I did the challenge.

I donated.

I said on my video what it was for.

And I'm actually doing the challenge again (bigger this time) because the charity organization I am part of as a whole got challenged. So, I'm getting dunked again and donating more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back