• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Downfall of Kurt Angle

Mouthy Idiot

Occasional Pre-Show
I dont watch TNA much but I kinda keep up with whats going on and I have to say I am shocked by the putrid booking/use of Kurt Angle. Sunday was TNA's biggest PPV of the year. Essentially Bound for Glory is their Wrestlemania. And Kurt Angle was booked in a "tag team 3 way" match on the midcard. WTF!!!!!! Are you serious? Its shocking to me that they are using Kurt Angle so patheticly on their biggest show of the year. This is a sad fall for a man who some people think is the greatest in ring wrestler of all time.

I dont understand why Kurt wouldnt be used in a co main even slot in a 1 on 1 match on the biggest show of the year for them. I realize Aries and Hardy are younger and capable of being the main event but Kurt should be in one of the featured matches. To have him in a pointless midcard tag team match is beyond stupid.. Its the biggest event of the year ... It wasnt a Thursday night Impact show. It was Bound for Glory. I cant fathom what these writers and bookers are thinking wasting Kurt and even AJ Styles like that. I would rather see kurt vs AJ in a good 1 on 1 20 minute match than see some lame tag team match you could see on free tv.

I remember Kurt being this beast in WWE who used to have the main events and taking on guys like Austin,Brock,The Rock, HHH, Jericho, Edge , Taker and so many others. Now hes going against Chavo Guerrero in a tag team mid card match. This is sad and kurt has ruined his career and legacy in my opinion. Why has this happened to him? Why isnt he back in the WWE yet?? Someone explain this sad fall for me.

Kurt has done it all. What does he have left to prove? He's mainevented BFG after BFG. He held all the titles at once in TNA for crying out loud! A solid tag team run means we get to see something new for Angle, as well as giving up his main event spot for other talent.

AJ and Angle have gone up against other many times in the past. If you want to see that, watch their other encounters! And the tag match was awesome! Except for who won I guess...

Don't worry my friend, Angle will main event again. This is just something else for him to do while we get different guys in the main event scene. Same with Styles. I mean AJ and Angle, that's a dream tag team right? And they always deliver.

I like the Styles and Angle tag team partnership, they are 2 of the best in the business. He has been established for years and they need to get younger guys ready to take the main event slot for when the older guys are gone

I don't think one should mention Angle at this point without mentioning Styles. Both are huge stars and I can see them in any TNA main event, but I can only assume that they are there to give some credibility to the tag-division. At one point AJ was their Cena, but he's probably on the backburner until Hardy's reign comes to an end.

Angle being where he is, I don't mind. He can kick ass wherever he is on the card and he gives more importance to whatever match he is in.

Kurt's career and legacy are just fine. How many guys hit the top and then just disappear? what have HHH or Taker done to help get new talent over it the last 5 years? What about Flair or Hogan? you`re confused because usually a top guy just disappears when they decide to leave the business and instead, Angle is actually working with different talent, getting them over so when he leaves, someone credible is there and if they need him, he can come back with a storyline already in place. this is the sort of thing every main event wrestler should be doing in the later part of their career. I find it very funny that few of the ``greats`` ever do this but ``lesser`` champs like Edge, Terry Funk, etc do it all the time.

Kurt is just fine just in a holding pattern of sorts. I'm actually hoping we see another Joe-Angle feud to really elevate the TV title. I may be wrong but I don't believe Kurt has ever held it. Who knows maybe we can get a best of 5 or best of 7 between the two.

I agree that Angle needs to be near the top of the food chain(esp. the way they pay him) but there just wasn't any place on the card for him. Same thing with AJ Styles. Might as well put them together.

Just because Angle is one of the most recognised stars in TNA, does not mean he is guaranteed, nor should he be, one of the main events to BFG. Randy Orton is one of the biggest stars in the WWE, however he was in the 2nd match of the night against Kane at Wrestlemania. Lets not forget also when Triple H faced Sheamus at Wrestlemania 26 in the fourth match of the night.

My point here is that at some point in any wrestlers career, they will have to take a backseat to other talent, no matter who they are. It will even happen to John Cena one day. So i wouldn't worry about Angle too much. He has done it all, has nothing left to achieve, and will be just fine.

Kurt is fine where he is. I like that he is taking a slight backseat so new stars can shine. Kurt works with all tiers of talent and that can only be a good thing. I have enjoyed him in the tag team division for now, and I am sure he will be in the main event picture again. He is doing nothing to hurt his legacy.

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons angle wasn't in a major role for BFG is because he's currently injured. Tag matches make it easier for him to compete and at the same time not do all that much in the ring. I don't think we're seeing any sort of "downfall" for angle.

I'm glad that Angle is no longer the center of attention in TNA. Since he arrived, TNA has essentially been something of a personal playground for Kurt Angle. He's done everything there is to do in TNA. He's beaten almost every major name to come through the company. He was consistently in the main event spot and overall TNA WHC picture for years. Angle was someone that was in the main event scene so frequently that it got kind of stale.

Angle is taking something of a "backseat" in the company and rightly so. For years, TNA has relied almost entirely on former WWE and WCW stars to be the focal point of their company. It's something that's probably done more damage to TNA's image among fans than just about anything else. Having former WWE and WCW guys, especially guys who were long since past their prime, as the key players in the company has only made TNA look like a second rate promotions. They've laid off trying to genuinely produce any stars of their own that weren't already big stars in WWE for years, something they've only started to correct within the past year.

I respect Angle and I've been a fan of him since he first started in WWE. His talent and legit toughness can't be ignored by anyone that knows anything about him. However, as others have said, he's done everything in TNA many times over. He's also getting older and he's been dealing with injury issues for years. Guys like Angle & Sting can't be expected to carry TNA forever after all. Also, if Angle was someone that helped deliver bigger ratings and ppv buys, then I could understand being upset/concerned that he's not in the main event scene. However, Angle isn't a draw in TNA. Since I've been watching on a regular basis, which was a little before Angle came to TNA, the only person in TNA that's really come close to ever being a significant draw for TNA is Hulk Hogan, and then it was only just a temporary ratings pop.

Finally, Angle is someone that's had Dixie Carter wrapped around his finger since he joined TNA. She damn near worships the ground he walks on. If he ever decides he wants to be back in the main event picture, and I'm sure he will be at some point, then Dixie Carter will make it happen.

The main event scene in TNA is very cyclical (an advantage over WWE, who basically has Cena and "Random Heel" every PPV). TNA obvious disadvantage is that they don't have one true "Star" to build the company around and take them to the next level. They are going to try it with Hardy but I have a feeling that may not move them any closer to being a mega company. Angle is a huge name and still a tremendous worker. You can't have everyone in the main event. At some point it will come back around to him. I'd love to see him and Aries at some point.

How is Kurt Angle being in a tag-team match at BFG part of his "downfall"? Angle is still one of the best in-ring talents in the business and was teaming with another world-class performer in AJ Styles, and working with the hottest team in the company in Kazarian and Daniels is not a bad spot.

Kurt is one of the biggest names TNA have, but that doesn't mean he should automatically be at the top of the card constantly. The focus cannot always be on one man or you end up with the situation like WWE have at the moment, with so few top line stars after spending all their time and energy promoting John Cena and pretty much noone else for a few years.

The focus in TNA over the last year has been on their homegrown talent in James Storm, Bobby Roode and more recently Austin Aries and the most over man in the company- Jeff Hardy. There was no space for Kurt Angle in those storylines, but he is good enough to be thrown back into the title picture at any time and the fans will love it. He will be at the top of the card again when the time is right.

However, I am pretty sure I read that Kurt had said something about reducing his schedule in TNA soon, and if that is true then he is doing the right thing and letting the spotlight be placed on younger wrestlers who will be the ones to carry TNA when he retires, which must be within the next few years. Not enough big name wrestlers do this, they want to be at the top until the day they retire. Its nice to see when guys like Angle, Flair, Funk and Foley were willing to put others over as their career drew to a close. That is how it should be done.

Kurt Angle has always been a versatile performer who can add value to an event from any role. He went up and down the card in both WWE and TNA whenever it was needed, but regardless, he pretty much always delivers.

kurt angle can feud with eric young and still be maineventing next month for the world title. Angle has done it all. His credibility as a star, a maineventer or whatever should not be questioned at all. If vince were able to snatch angle today, he would do it in a heartbeat and pair him up against punk, taker, rock, cena etc in high profile feud.

Tna decision to pair him with aj styles in tag team matches was a mistake. (if it was a high profile mega tag team matches then it wouldve been fine) You dont utitilize your top guys in this way. You want to get the most high profile matches out of each guy as much as possible. That is like pairing hbk/hhh against some tag teams at wrestlemania!

kurt angle can feud with eric young and still be maineventing next month for the world title. Angle has done it all. His credibility as a star, a maineventer or whatever should not be questioned at all. If vince were able to snatch angle today, he would do it in a heartbeat and pair him up against punk, taker, rock, cena etc in high profile feud.

Tna decision to pair him with aj styles in tag team matches was a mistake. (if it was a high profile mega tag team matches then it wouldve been fine) You dont utitilize your top guys in this way. You want to get the most high profile matches out of each guy as much as possible. That is like pairing hbk/hhh against some tag teams at wrestlemania!

Except it isn't like that at all because Angle and AJ have already been going back and forth with Kaz and Daniels and there's all sorts of history there.

They'd already put on a match of the year candidate performance those four, and they obviously hoped that they could capture that magic again on their biggest show, along with Chavo and Hernandez, and they did just that putting on a fantastic wrestling match on a wrestling show.

If you actually followed the show properly then you would see why this really wasn't the issue that you want to believe it is.

Exactly what I was thinking! Kurt Angle mainevented 3 BFG! 2 of which were in 2010 and 2011! 4 in total if you count his enforcing position in 2006! Other years he was featured in the 2nd ranked main event, against Jeff Jarrett, and even Morgan, I love Kurt Angle but TNA is smart the way they cycle pushes, Kurt doesnt need to be in the main event of BFG to prove everything he is, he's used often and always has big matches at the big ppv's

Mouthy Idiot, watch TNA more before you judge and speak

I enjoy Kurt's work. He's close to perfect at whhat he does, even though he ain't the youngest guy on the roster...

But just after the MEM storyline and for about 6 months afterwards, I was sick of seeing him main event and win every week.

It took his fueds with Wolfe and Anderson to reignite my interest. I think Kurt's versatility is the best part. He can tag for a while, have a fued, back to tag, go for a belt and it's all believable, and more importantly will show some great matches.

At the moment, Kurt's busy putting Chavo and Hernandez over. Consumate pro.

The closest thing to any sort of downfall I've seen for Kurt Angle would be when he goes online to Twitter or gives interviews where he winds up sticking his foot in his mouth. To me, it shows that his ego has gotten a bit out of control. He accuses wrestlers of "stealing" some of his moves or he sometimes belittles other wrestlers or makes grandiose statements like Hulk Hogan often does. It's just kind of silly.

For instance, now Angle is accusing WWE of stealing "concepts" from TNA such as what's going on with the affair storyline with John Cena & AJ. Let's just say that it's true, Angle seems to have been perfectly fine with TNA stealing "concepts" from WCW or WWE the entire time that he's been there.

Angle's a great wrestler to this day but he really needs to get over himself. I know he's great but he comes off like an ass when he gets on his Hogan style soap box.

"good painters borrow. Great painters steal" Pablo Picasso

Angle is a showman. There is no such thing as bad publicity. I would bet that he knows exactly what he is doing there, and realizes how silly his statements are. As long as we talk about him, he is doing his job.

But let us assume he means what he says here. He has fallen into the trap that I have seen wrestling fans spring on themselves over and over at least since WCW Nitro first aired, if not my whole life. "oh noes! This promotion stole that from another promotion!". Shocking.

Get over it folks. This is how pro wrestling works. Since the beginning. Every promotion keeps track of what other promotions do if it works. They then use those ideas.
Complaining about it is like complaining about "WWE rejects" in TNA. Wrestlers wrestle wherever they need to to (to steal a line from George W. Bush) put food on their family.
They wrestle here, they wrestle some other place. It is how it always worked. Get over it Kurt. And fans, too.

And I am shocked by your putrid sense of how Angle has actually been used in TNA since, after all, you don't even watch it.

The only thing "sad" in this thread is your completely ill-informed opinion of a performer you blatantly admit to not having actually watched performed the last number of years. Who are you to comment on the status of a performer in a company if you're basing all your accounts on the accounts of others?

He's 40+ and on the decline in his career. He's accomplished EVERYTHING in TNA. Absolutely everything. He's said himself repeatedly that he wants to help get all the young guys over on his way out, and that WWE wasn't a return option for him due to the condition of his body and where he's at travel-wise with TNA.

Pay attention, son, you're missing plenty while you're off reading dirt sheets and other useless rags that pass for "news" outlets these days. Or better yet, stop being such a tool and just watch the program yourself if you expect anyone here to actually take your opinion on anything TNA-related semi-serious.

The closest thing to any sort of downfall I've seen for Kurt Angle would be when he goes online to Twitter or gives interviews where he winds up sticking his foot in his mouth. To me, it shows that his ego has gotten a bit out of control. He accuses wrestlers of "stealing" some of his moves or he sometimes belittles other wrestlers or makes grandiose statements like Hulk Hogan often does. It's just kind of silly.

This.

If you'd created this thread back when Angle was being caught for DUI and stuff, you'd have had a point, but considering you even admitted to not fully viewing the product, at least not week-to-week your opinion on the situation holds no merit. Hes being booked fine, their booking him to a lesser extent as he may have been in years gone by, but he's nearing the end of his career and they need to push younger guys. Kurt Angle is actually the most reliable person TNA has, even if they do push him back just a tad, without hesitation if they tell him to go put on a four-star match he'll do it. That's not downfall, its trust and respect.

As Jack-Hammer stated however, Kurt Angle's ego is running wild all over his twitter account. He seems entranced by whatever WWE, CM Punk and John Cena are doing these days. If WWE put on a good match Kurt will come out and say how he could have done better, if someone calls themselves the best in the world to enhance their character Kurt comes out and says hes the best in the world; hell if someones uses a move frequently used by Angle he moans and threatens. On that side of things, Angle's acting like a douche but isn't experiencing a downfall.

Fantastic performer, probably the greatest athlete in pro-wrestling history, a egocentric douche but still highly respected.

I dont watch TNA much but I kinda keep up with whats going on

That's the problem. If you aren't watching you don't know why your complaint is wrong. AJ and Kurt lost the titles to Kaz and Daniels while the whole Claire storyline was going on. Now that that is over they are on the path to trying to retain them. They are a prominent fixture in the tag team division and have put on excellent matches with Kaz and Daniels. There isn't really much room in the main event scene and Aces and Eights are taking up the attention of people like Bully Ray. Roode and Storm were just in a feud so they weren't available. RVD is busy in the x division and Samoa Joe is busy in the television title/mid card scene. At least Kurt and AJ have a back story and, history and motive to go after Daniels and Kaz. There really is no downfall here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back