The Domestic Football Thread

The 4-4 Newcastle v Arsenal was just one of those matches that makes you glad to be a football fan, even from a neutral perspective. It was a phenomenal comeback from the Geordie boys, and what made it even sweeter for me was that as a Bolton fan, we have had to deal with snide comments and play-acting from Arsenal for years (stemming from the fact we used to beat them every time we played).

It was fantastic to see Arsene Wengers team collapse when the pressure got too much for them, and once again end the season trophyless. Tough luck Arsene ;)

Well done to the Toon though. One of my closest friends is a huge NUFC fan, so I always like to see them doing well. It's a shame that Mike Ashley is such a moron , as the Newcastle fans are some of the best in the world and deserve some success. Nice people too, the Geordies.

Reactions: Lee
According to EuroSport, Blackpool's Charlie Adam is going a complete a 10 million pound move to Liverpool by the end of today with Blackpool also getting Jonjo Shelvey on season's long loan

That means the in Central midfield Liverpool have Gerrard, Henderson and Adam with Maxi Rodriguez on the wing who has looked very impressive under Kenny Dalglish and Carroll and Suarez up front with Reina in goal and to me that now looks like a Top 4 squad and Suarez says that Liverpool can challenge for the title this season and if Liverpool can sign a quality Left-Back and and Centre back then yeah Liverpool will deffinitly be challangeing for the title next season

Liveprool are also rumoured to be intrested in Stewart Downing, so much so that some Bookies have stopped takeing bets on the move happening so that's another massive swoop for Liverpool and it makeing the managerial job at Aston Villa look even more unattractive

That means the in Central midfield Liverpool have Gerrard, Henderson and Adam with Maxi Rodriguez on the wing who has looked very impressive under Kenny Dalglish and Carroll and Suarez up front with Reina in goal and to me that now looks like a Top 4 squad and Suarez says that Liverpool can challenge for the title this season and if Liverpool can sign a quality Left-Back and and Centre back then yeah Liverpool will deffinitly be challangeing for the title next season.

Liveprool are also rumoured to be intrested in Stewart Downing, so much so that some Bookies have stopped takeing bets on the move happening so that's another massive swoop for Liverpool and it makeing the managerial job at Aston Villa look even more unattractive

Here's the thing, Liverpool's own POTY last season was the wee Brazilian who received so much stick under Rafa - Lucas Leiva has looked like a brand new player under King Kenny. Who will the first choice midfield be?

With Downing in his sights, I can see Kenny going to a good old fashioned 4-4-2 featuring two central midfielders and two wingers. I'm wondering if this will mean a return to the right wing for Mr Gerrard?

After the defensive obsessions of Houllier, Benitez and Hodgson; I can't remember being this optimistic - long live the boot room & YNWA!
images

Here's the thing, Liverpool's own POTY last season was the wee Brazilian who received so much stick under Rafa - Lucas Leiva has looked like a brand new player under King Kenny. Who will the first choice midfield be?

With Downing in his sights, I can see Kenny going to a good old fashioned 4-4-2 featuring two central midfielders and two wingers. I'm wondering if this will mean a return to the right wing for Mr Gerrard?

After the defensive obsessions of Houllier, Benitez and Hodgson; I can't remember being this optimistic - long live the boot room & YNWA!
images

Even with the new signings, I cant see Liverpool mounting a genuine title challenge next year, but I think that the year after they could be right back up there. The whole club looks reenergised under Dalglish, and he is obviously being backed in the transfer market. Suarez, Henderson and Carroll are all quality signings (although they did pay over the odds), and should all make a big difference to the squad, plus if Downing arrives too then that is another great addition.

The new signings, plus the younger players like Spearing and Kelly will come on even more during the next year, and add that to the experience of players Like Stevie G, Kuyt, Carragher, Cole and Reina and you could see Liverpool easily getting Champions League football next year. The title will be out of their reach in the nezt 12 months, but there is no reason why Liverpool cannot outdo Arsenal and Spurs next year and get into the top 4 once again, before mounting a serious challenge the year after.

images
Did you really just call LUCAS your player of the season last year? My god.

I'm a Wolves fan born and bred, just incase anyone was wondering.

Even with the new signings, I cant see Liverpool mounting a genuine title challenge next year, but I think that the year after they could be right back up there. The whole club looks reenergised under Dalglish, and he is obviously being backed in the transfer market. Suarez, Henderson and Carroll are all quality signings (although they did pay over the odds), and should all make a big difference to the squad, plus if Downing arrives too then that is another great addition.

The new signings, plus the younger players like Spearing and Kelly will come on even more during the next year, and add that to the experience of players Like Stevie G, Kuyt, Carragher, Cole and Reina and you could see Liverpool easily getting Champions League football next year. The title will be out of their reach in the nezt 12 months, but there is no reason why Liverpool cannot outdo Arsenal and Spurs next year and get into the top 4 once again, before mounting a serious challenge the year after.

Usually I would agree wholeheartedly, but the past season has to be the weakest Premiership to date. Who on the United squad would any European giant spend big money on? This isn't a slight at the Mancs but winning the Premiership has to be Fergie's crowning glory because player for player, they didn't appear to have the squad to challenge Chelsea, City, Arsenal... possibly even Spurs.

Dependent on what happens during the Summer, this appears to be a very open race next year. If Dalglish can meld his team (apparently why he is looking to deal early), there is no reason currently for them not to be challenging - United have to rebuild; Chelsea, City and Arsenal need to stop playing as individuals and Spurs appear to lack the belief to progress to legitimate challengers.

Did you really just call LUCAS your player of the season last year? My god.

I'm a Wolves fan born and bred, just incase anyone was wondering.

Lucas suffered under prior managers because he was shackled to a negative system, this looked worse when he played alongside Mascherano because both players where directed to play the same system. Look at Javier now, an integral piece of the current European Champions. Since Kenny has taken the reigns, Mr Leiva has looked like a new signing and is shutting many of his biggest critics (the Liverpool fans) up.

Mick's doing a good job with your boys, here's hoping you don't have as stressful a season next year.

Last time I trust Eurosport as a source as Karl Oyester the Chairman of Blackpool has confirmed that talks between him and Liverpool about possible bids for Charlie Adam but no bids have been made as of yet

But the thing about Liverpool is that they are trying to get all these transfers done as soon as possible which is a smart strategy by Dalglish as it gives his new players time to gel into the team and avoid the inevitable panic buying on the final day of the transfer window so if they can get a left-back sorted out in good time then I think Liverpool can challenege for the title unless the other clubs around them make more impressive moves in the market

In other news another player from the French leagues is set to join a Premier league club as Gervinho from Lille is in negotations to join Arsenal, Not a player I've seen play but he has been described as a smaller Odenwingie so he'll probably fit right into the Arsenal squad in that case, he scored 15 goals and provided 10 assists in Lillie's double trophy season

Kevin Nolan's gone to West Ham. Good riddance I say, most newcastle fans are unhappy because he was "a great captain" etc etc but it was Nolan who was losing pace all season, yeah he got rather lucky position wise and got 12 goals.

It was this 'leader' who persuaded Andy Carroll to go to Liverpool. A club captain who persuades the prize asset to go to another club is not a captain at all. Enjoy waddling with Fat Sam.

Glad to hear someone else talking some sense about Kevin Nolan. Early last season there was a lot of talk about how he should have pushed his way into the England side but now he cannot even find a club in the top division - I do not think that anyone could fall so far so quickly so something must be wrong with how he was/is viewed.

I'm gonna have to disagree with both of you because I think Nolan is still a very good player and a good captain who i thinm could walk into the starting 11 of any of the bottom 10 clubs in the Premier League and I think it's a massive coup for West Ham and with Sam Allardyce in Charge of them and Nolan as captain (unless by some miracle they keep hold of Parker) then I think West Ham will come straight back up

Mcliesh looks set to be the new Villa boss, and the Villa fans aren't happy about that as today 500 of there fans gathered outside the club in protest of the appointment and I belive at this rate Villa will go down next season, they've already lost Friedal and Reo-Coker and look set to lose Ashley Young and Stewert Downing, the only decent players they will have are Petrov, Bent and Albrighton (Who I think is the most underated player in the premier league)

And it's a sad state of affairs when a 22 million pound bid is considered a joke

I'm gonna have to disagree with both of you because I think Nolan is still a very good player and a good captain who i thinm could walk into the starting 11 of any of the bottom 10 clubs in the Premier League and I think it's a massive coup for West Ham and with Sam Allardyce in Charge of them and Nolan as captain (unless by some miracle they keep hold of Parker) then I think West Ham will come straight back up

Please tell me how on Earth Nolan's still a good captain. As I noted before, he's not. He persuaded a clubs top goal scorer and one of his close friends to leave said club to go to Liverpool (the team Nolan supports) that is not putting the needs of the team first, it's putting your own personal needs first.

Nolan told Carroll to go and join a bigger, better team. A team with more potential and who will probably continue to be better than Newcastle and do better than them in the league. Nolan simply told Carroll to use his head and go to Liverpool and ignore his heart by staying.

I fail to see how us overpaying for Andy Carroll, which we did in January and were also willing to do this summer is bad for Newcastle? The Carroll deal was practically all profit to the club. They can invest and use it to buy about 5 or 6 new players.

He was a good captain but you arent the first Toon fan to tell me that he wont really be missed as you have replaced him with Cabaye, likely a better player.

Not sure I would be too happy if it came out that Steven Gerrard had been encouraging Fernando Torres to leave, regardless of how good a deal it looks to have been for Liverpool right now.

And if you do think that Nolan was right telling Carroll to go to a bigger club with more potential, then why has Nolan himself decided to drop down a division?

As for Liverpool's transfer targets, we are in need of a winger or two but I do not rate Downing at all but we will probably end up with him as there are not that many wingers left and as the ridiculous money being touted for Alexis Sanchez, the few wingers about are very expensive. I would much rather have had Young, although his move to Old Trafford seems to be done.

We could do with more options in defence - a young centre half (would have loved to see Phil Jones in Anfield red) and a full back (Enrique). Up front, if Ngog goes to Sunderland if expected, we could probably do with a poacher of some sort to add to Suarez/Carroll/Kuyt. I have been surprised that Pacheco never got a proper chance in the first team.

Барбоса;3186854 said:
And if you do think that Nolan was right telling Carroll to go to a bigger club with more potential, then why has Nolan himself decided to drop down a division?

Money

But I say Nolan is a good captain because I belive that after Hughton who was very populer amongst the players was sacked it would of been very easy for the players to be angry or dissapointed and to go ona bit of losing run but thanks to the influence of Kevin Nolan the players kept there chin-up and carried on playing well although they did tail-off towards the end of the season

And right now I think it's vital that Newcastle keep hold of Joey Barton last season he was fantastic and played like a player who had something to prove and the partnership of Him and Cabaye could be deadly if Newcastle can get a decent Striker in

Money and an easy life most likely. Fat Sam would have promised him whatever he wanted. Both Pepe and Steven Gerrard did apparently tell Torres to go if he wasn't happy.

I would love to see Sanchez at Anfield but he has his picks of clubs in the CL. I think we are very seriously in for Juan Mata but a deal wont get done until after the Euros. Downing is third choice and I'd be gutted to pay more than 8-10 mil for him.

Scott Dann is a very likely buy for Liverpool at CB. Jones is going to be very good but £17mil plus is so much money, a much more needed buy for United who need to replace Vidic and Ferdinand. I also think it is a matter of time before we get Wickham, that's an improvement on Ngog. Ipswich are replacing him with Chopra.

Believe it or not we have a fantastic bunch of youngsters who should be capable of stepping in. Raheem Sterling and Conor Coady for example are future stars IMO. However I do hope that we ship out both Cole and Jovanovic who I believe are on 100k plus a week each. They both need to leave pronty as they are bad signings made by the old regime. Christian Purslow you knob.

So Mata, Dann and Wickham in and a pretty significant clearout of the squad would represent a decent summer IMO. I still believe that we will also see a couple of surprise names be brought in but those three are being worked on a priorities.

The two main reasons nolan left were to do with his contract firstly he was earning big money as when Mike Ashley took over the money did get thrown around a bit and players like Nolan, Barton and Colcochini got big wage increases. You can see Newcastle are trying to get rid of their high earners as they have recently told Barton he wont get a wage increase and low and behold he's also making noises about moving clubs. In fairness id say good riddance to the both of them as they are earning more then they are worth to be honest and they only have about 2 years left at their top level.

The other reason Nolan left was because he wanted a five year deal(which he got at west ham today) despite being 28. This would mean he would be at the club untill he was 33 and past his best. That would leave the toon in a bad position as they would be paying him a lot of money to sit on the bench.

Also the whole Carrol situation diddnt help either i'm a liverpool fan and i thought he was out of line doing it weather it was a good deal for Newcastle or not. It was very unprofessional to act that way, when a club is paying your wages that club comes first.

I really thought that Cole was a good signing at the time. Something must have gone seriously wrong with him behind the scenes because even when he is fit he seems to be nowhere near the First XI and has made no impact from the bench. His best performance came in the 45 mins he played in his league debut before getting sent off against Arsenal...

I have seen the rumours regarding Dann, Mata and Wickham, all of whom I would be happy to see in the squad. Also would like to see a sneaky bid for Adam Johnson. There were times last season where he looked like the next big thing but then Mancini refused to pick him under suggestions of a poor attitude. Not sure I would take Mancini's word for it but maybe it is something that makes me a bit wary; although I think that KK, being cut from the same managerial tartan as SAF, would not take any of that kind of shite.

Adam Johnson would be a quality signing. I am sure that his lack of games at City is due to it being City. Any other team he would be a first teamer, Im certain of it. Liverpool have a dire need for wingers, we are being linked with Gutierrez but I think it's a smokescreen while we tie up the real deal for Enrique (someone who I think will also sign sooner than Dann, Wickham or Mata).

Cole came to us not really fit, didnt start well with the debut red card and never really picked up. Also we couldn't play him anywhere but the wings because you arent going to pick him ahead of Gerrard or even Meireles in the AM position. I wouldnt be unhappy if he stayed because he does still have the skill and he never really got match fit last year - we should try and renegotiate his deal though. Jovanovic can piss off - useless.

Барбоса;3186975 said:
Mancini refused to pick him under suggestions of a poor attitude. Not sure I would take Mancini's word for it but maybe it is something that makes me a bit wary

The same Roberto Mancini who picks Mario Balotelli in his first 11 on a weekly basis?

But Adam Johnson is being wasted on the Man City bench much like Shay Given (Who I hope moves to Celtic this Summer) and I think Liverpool would be the best choice for Johnson as I can see him getting first-team football on a weekly basis and be in a club who will be challenging for a top 4 place

Heards lots about Connor Wickham but haven't seen him play much as everytime Sky Sports were showing an Ipswich game I was usally doing something else but if he just join Liverpool during this transfer window then I think it would be wise if Pool sent him back out loan as I carn't see him getting many games when your competing with Suarez/Caroll/Kuyt

Also i'm starting to read rumours about Q.P.R's star player Adel Taarabt being linked with a move to the big European clubs, apparently Chelsea have made contact with him, Juventus have a had a bid rejected, Man Utd and Liverpool are also apparently intrested

Apparently Johnny Woodgate and Owen Hargreaves have been released by Spurs and United respectively. Not a shocker, they've played about 20 minutes of football in the last 2 years between them, such a shame though, as they were bucketloads of potential, Woodgate was touted as better than Ferdinand, although players are always rated better when they cant actually play, strange that.

Still, if a team could get either or both on a pay as you play contract it might be worth the punt, both looked close to coming back this season but had various set-backs, and if your getting them for free anyways then why not? Even if they dont play they can still help out with the younger players. Mathew Upsons also been released, but well, you know.

Apparently Johnny Woodgate and Owen Hargreaves have been released by Spurs and United respectively. Not a shocker, they've played about 20 minutes of football in the last 2 years between them, such a shame though, as they were bucketloads of potential, Woodgate was touted as better than Ferdinand, although players are always rated better when they cant actually play, strange that.

Still, if a team could get either or both on a pay as you play contract it might be worth the punt, both looked close to coming back this season but had various set-backs, and if your getting them for free anyways then why not? Even if they dont play they can still help out with the younger players. Mathew Upsons also been released, but well, you know.

Woodgate was offered a pay-as-you-play deal by Spurs but he turned it down and if continues with that then I think Woodgate's career maybe over I think offering him a full-time contract is far too much of a gamble considering his injury problems

Patrick Veira is also on the free-transfer list after being relesead by City and I've heard whispers that Blackburn are intrested in him

Other Players who have been released are Sebastian Larsson who is been linked with a move back to Arsenal, David Vaughn from Blackpool who was actually voted Blackpool's Player of the Year despite the impact Charlie Adam made and has already sstated Matthew Upson who I think could do well at one of the promoted clubs like Swansea who need to tighten up at the back or I can see him doing well at a club like Wolves

Hey liverpool how did that signing of Marveaux go?
0,,10278~9744476,00.jpg

Another french born player, another free. I know nothing about this guy but I do know he's left sided winger and ment to be pretty good. Despite press claims they he wasn't fit enough he hit and and said ""I do not want to go into details, but if I did not sign in Liverpool, because there was a contractual disagreement between the parties on Thursday night."

Fair enough.

Oh we also signed Demba Ba on a free tarnsfer as well. I've been impressed with Ba last season and was one of the brightest things about West Ham (he's better than Parker).

0,,10278~9743563,00.jpg

So that's three official signings for Newcastle and £4.8million spent. Not bad, not bad at all.

From what I heard, Liverpool pulled out of the deal for Marveaux because they did not think that, despite him not failing a medical, there were enough question marks about his long term fitness to worry them over the wage demands he was making. Clearly Newcastle were not as fussy. Do not know that much about him though.

Demba Ba on the other hand looks to be a good signing. He impressed me with not only his ability but also his drive and determination at West Ham last season

I agree that Ba is a good signing for Newcastle, I've always felt that he was too good for West Ham and he is definitely too good for the Championship.

I've always felt that Nolan is overrated because he had such a good season in the Championship. Last season obviously took a toll on him(fitness and effort wise) seeing as he dropped to the Championship for some easier football I think. He was always a lazy player that relies on being in the right place at the right time.

I don't see Liverpool winning the Premiership next season(especially if Lucas remains a regular in the line-up). I do see Liverpool finishing in the top 4 though and finishing ahead of Spurs, City and maybe even Arsenal. Dalglish has revived the football club and has been a Godsend.

I hear that Chelsea are going to make an improved offer on Modric and that he wants to join. I like Modric as a player but in all honesty I don't think of this as a necessary signing, I'd still be happy to just have another top class player though in the squad. The position Modric plays or his role is almost identical to Benayoun so I don't see him staying or if he does I don't think he'll hardly get any football and will barely make the bench.

Game Of The Season
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal
Without a doubt, I remember at half-time checking the score with Arsenal 4-0 up and thinking wow this could end 5 or 6-0. Then I checked the final score and thought to myself so many things like it possibly being the best Premier League comeback of all time or Arsenal have fucked up yet again(which always makes me smile). The amount of Newcastle fans that left early too was very laughable knowing the final score. What a way to end the game also, Tiote's volley was always up there for goal of the season IMO especially considering the vitality of it and the result is topped off.

The only thing that ruined the 4-4 game for me was the refereeing seemed to inconsistant I think I remember Diaby getting a straight red for a nothing incident but then Nolan did something very similer and only got a booking for it and Newcastle were also awarded a very dubious penalty to make it 4-3, I'm not trying to shit on Newcastle achievment, it was an amazing comeback and a game I will probably never forget but the referee makes it only the second best game for me

But Demba Ba is a good signing for Newcastle, he looked very impressive for West Ham and Stoke must be kicking themselves for letting him get away and having to rely on players like Walters and Carew and i'm intrsted to see whol will partner Ba up front unless there planning to play him on his own

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back