• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Championship - Twice?

Hard Hit Prince

Not really working as a
Hey everyone! As I was passing by the Old School Section, with the WrestleMania retrospective threads (which have been fantastic by the way) I thought about what happened at WrestleMania X.

For those who don't know in 1994 the WWE Championship was defended twice due to the fact that both Luger and Bret Hart co-won the Royal Rumble event and therefore both had a legit title shot at the big show against Yokozuna. So and in before you get yourselves all wet, my thread is about Daniel Bryan getting a title shot at WrestleMania while Batista maintains his. The possibility of this happening is as big as Antonio Cesaro's chance of winning the belt Sunday, so not good, but it's an idea that I would like to have your thoughts.

So lets say everything goes out as planned - Batista faces Randy Orton for the WWE Championship. Great, but one has to consider Bryan's position in the card. Most thought about doing a Triple Threat which is more likely if WWE does indeed want Bryan in the title picture. However another scenario is making Bryan win his championship match in the event against none other than Triple H.

Lets say Vince McMahon returns, he had a change of heart and he's a babyface and he doesn't like what HHH and Steph have been doing to Bryan. The match between Hunter and Bryan should be already official by now, but a stipulation should be added and something along the lines of: "If Bryan wins he'll get a championship opportunity in the same night against the champ, whomever he is." I can't see the crowd despising this or thinking it's overbooking, because a similar case has happened in the past and some may say it was the show that created a star in Bret Hart. Also it's a feel good moment because it looks like Bryan will actually get validation for what he's been put through.

This could work in many ways and a lot more if the last match on the card was indeed Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan. The doubt would be there, because after all it's still Triple H and the fact that the match is last can create the feeling that HHH will emerge victorious and Bryan will not have time to challenge for the belt. Lets say Bryan ends up beating HHH and right after it, he has to face I'll say Batista.. He immediately goes after Bryan, but in reality they are both tired because they had both a competitive match and so, the Bryan v. Batista only needs 10 minutes at best and that could end up giving Batista the big heat and heel turn or give Bryan the major push.

I don't think this will happen, this is just fantasy booking. I couldn't care less if you think Bryan should be the face of the universe okay? Discuss the idea.

I was gonna post something similar to this. Orton vs. Batista and Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan early in the card, and the winners of each meet at the end of the night for the Championship. WWE has already set a precedent of having unusual main events for X and XX, so why should XXX be the same?

Either that, or put all four guys in the ring together and have a Fatal Four Way. Triple H gets all his boys in the main event, and Daniel Bryan beats unbeatable odds to win the championship.

It's an interesting idea and one that a ton of Bryan fans would very much gobble up. Bryan taking on Triple H in a match where, if he wins, he gets a shot at either Orton or Batista later in the show would kind of fit when you consider the few times that The Authority has forced Daniel Bryan to run the gauntlet. The scenario here wouldn't exactly be the same thing, as Bryan would have a rest period in between his matches. But the notion of Bryan having to face Triple H and, if he wins, only get his opportunity to become WWE World Heavyweight Champion by facing off against either Batista or Randy Orton could easily be played up as a massive undertaking that lets them continue to play up Bryan as this scrappy, tenacious underdog. Even though the winner of Orton vs. Batista would no doubt be winded as well, the storyline would be The Authority trying to screw Bryan over one more time on the biggest stage in wrestling.

If they decided to put the title on Bryan at WrestleMania via this scenario, them they could also play up the angle of whomever Bryan beats having something of an excuse. A little while back, there was a report stating that a heel turn was planned for Batista after WrestleMania XXX. If that's the plan, then WrestleMania XXX would be a good place to have such a turn go down. If Batista beats Orton, has to defend his title the same night against Bryan and loses it to Bryan, then Batista turns with the story being that he's beyond pissed that someone "like Daniel Bryan" is trying to upstage him, trying to steal his spotlight by stealing his WWE World Heavyweight Championship and that people are actually cheering for this runt. It sets up a rematch and since Orton & Batista both lost the title at WrestleMania, they get their rematch on the same night. As a result, the triple threat match between them takes place at Extreme Rules.

However, I doubt it's going to go down this way. It'd be an interesting twist on things, but even if WWE went this route and even if Bryan won his match against Trips, there are still strong odds that the live audience would hijack the Orton vs. Batista match. They'd probably still crap all over it even if both of them did their best and put on a good match, which would probably piss them off and understandably so. The only guaranteed way to prevent fans from hijacking Orton vs. Batista is to stick Bryan right in the middle of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back