The Art of Worked Punching

nwojeff

Dark Match Winner
There are so many things about today's product that I feel are inferior to previous eras. To me, wrestling, especially in the WWE, has been different in a bad way post 2003, and definitely since late 2006. One of the major things I see that I just don't understand is how most guys can't even throw a good worked punch anymore. Isn't that supposed to be one of the first things you learn in training? And how hard is it anyway?

Punching, when you think about it, is the most common, basic, fundamental move in pro wrestling. It's something that allows you to transition between moves, and it's what limited wrestlers used to fall back on as a crutch when they couldn't do much else. There was always, punching, kicking, raking of the eyes, etc. There has been some great brawls in the history of wrestling that consisted mainly of these things, but they worked and were entertaining because the performers knew how to throw worked punches and also how to sell them. I believe that art is gone these days.

I've always like the guys that threw them with a closed fist as opposed to the open handed slap, even though that's technically illegal according to the "rules." But my favorites throughout the years that have thrown the best worked punches have been Jerry Lawler, Terry Funk, Ric Flair (when he wasn't doing the chop he threw awesome punches), Hulk Hogan (they were over-the-top and exaggerated, but a lot of them looked like they connected and looked good overall), Randy Savage (especially his jabs), Jake Roberts (same thing with the jabs), and Sting. Some of the guys that threw the best open-handed punches in my opinion were Steve Austin, The Rock, and Bret Hart.

But on today's roster the only guy that throws a good, solid, semi-realistic worked punch is Randy Orton. Everyone else is subpar or worse. And just to point out some guys that are completely inept at it, what the hell is wrong with Erick Rowan and Luke Harper? I have never seen such poor worked punches. Another standout for not knowing how to throw a simple, good-looking punch is Dean Ambrose.

So my questions are, which wrestlers do you feel threw the best worked punches in the history of the business, and why is it that almost every current, full-time WWE wrestler can't seem to do it right, or sell it right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back