Never Worked For Vince But Should Have

The Brain

King Of The Ring
During the years when the WWF and NWA/WCW coexisted many wrestlers worked for both companies at some point during their career. Guys that were synonymous with the NWA at some point worked for Vince. In the late 80s/early 90s it was strange to see guys like Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Tully Blanchard, Arn Anderson, The Road Warriors, etc. working for the WWF. For the most part every big name had worked for McMahon at some point. Who are some of the names that never worked for Vince that you would have liked to have seen in the WWF back then? The person you pick doesn’t have to be a huge name. He doesn’t have to be a main event player. He just needs to be someone that would have been a good fit in the WWF during a given year.

I loved tag team wrestling in the late 80s/early 90s. I think the Midnight Express would have been a good fit for the WWF around 1988. Neither Bobby Eaton nor Stan Lane ever worked for Vince (Stan did in 1994 but only as an announcer). I’m not crazy about either man individually, but I would have liked to see the team come to the WWF. It would have been great if Cornette came along too, but if not I could see Jimmy Hart managing them. We could have seen The Midnight Express in great matches against The British Bulldogs, The Hart Foundation, The Rockers, and possibly a title feud with Demolition. I thought tag team wrestling was particularly strong during this time so it’s not like The Express would be filling some kind of void, but there was certainly room for more.

It’s actually kind of hard to come up with some names that didn’t work for Vince. The Midnight Express is my choice. Who’s yours? Your pick does not have to be from the NWA/WCW. Maybe there’s someone from the AWA, WCCW, ECW, etc. that would have been a good fit.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PICKING STING. He is an incredibly obvious choice that has been talked about before and I prefer not to see him in every post.

Y'know, I'm tempted to pick a number of Luchadors. La Parka, Vampiro, Jushin Lyger, and so on and so forth, but I know that they'd just get chumped with Vince. I mean, Psicosis and the Juice went to WWE, two phenomenal talents, and look what happened with them? Nothing, that's what. Lots of my faves are foreign talents. Great Muta, Lyger, Inoki, La Parka, etc. And, while some have definitely earned gold, not nearly as many have. Hell, it's a shame that Guerrero died, because he was one of the rarities.

So, I don't know. La Parka chairshotting fools in the WWF backstage, would be really cool. But it wouldn't be worth it, to see him getting his ass kicked by Stone Cold or HHH.

hmm...I can think of a bunch:

1) The Freebirds in their prime: Michael Hayes has contributed heavily to WWE as a manager and staffer, but I would have loved to see the Freebirds in their prime competing in WWE. Whether in the Terry Gordy or Jimmy Garvin era's I think their larger than life personas would have fit perfectly with the tag teams of the era.

2) Scott Norton - WWE has always had a love affair with physique and this guy's look was SO imposing. I think he could have been a great big-man in the early to mid-90's. I'm not sure how he would have really done in the attitude era. I think he would have been better in the role that Kevin Nash played with Deisel as Shawn's Bodyguard.

3) This is a cheat because he did work for WWE later in his career, but Dr. Death Steve Williams. I still think the "Oklahoma Stampede" is a great finisher that someone should use in the WWE.

Im sure there are more.

I would have liked to see Mike Awesome fall into some good hands instead of being that stoner dude in WCW. He was a very physical talented big man. I dont think ECW counts but hey, as far as the older fellows I think that Sting in a WWF/E ring would be something fun, naturally. A nice Hogan Kevin Sullivan fued would have been brutal in the early 90's WWF era.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PICKING STING. He is an incredibly obvious choice that has been talked about before and I prefer not to see him in every post.

good call. if you hadn't put that disclaimer there, i'm sure every post would have included his name. in fact, even after the disclaimer, i still saw a poster making mention of Sting. just goes to show ya...

i'll pick one that's way less obvious than some of the other choices. mad props for the Midnight Express and Freebirds as i think that both of those would have or at least could have been great.

my pick goes to Screamin' Norman Smiley. he certainly was never a great competitor that put on wrestling clinics. but i still think that he would have fit in well with the Hardcore Division. he and Crash Holly kinda reminded me of each other in how they always eeked out wins when they were clearly the underdogs.

i just enjoyed his mic work, his look (with the football pads and helmet) and even some of his ring work. he was a very colorful character that could have fit in well with the WWF during the Hardcore Division years.

I think the Taskmaster Kevin Sullivan would have been good during the days of the Ministry. Sullivan to me was always a good wrestler and entertainer and I really enjoyed his feud with Benoit. I think Vince could have done a lot with him during that era.

I also wish that Stevie Ray would have game to WCW with Booker T I think they could have made a mark in the WWE tag team division up until Booker's title run.

I have to also go with Midnight Express and Rock N Roll Express. They've feuded everywhere but WWE. As a matter of fact they still do feud in the independents. I think they sould have been good for the late 80's early 90's with Hart Foundation, Rockers and other teams.

The Faces of Fear tag-team to me were awesome. I was a big fan of theirs. I think they would have been interesting against the likes of the Dudley's and New Age Outlaws, Headbangers, etc.

The Wall was a big guy in WCW and would have fit in nicely in the late 90's in WCW.

Others, Lash LeRoux, Van Hammer, Scott Norton, Buff Bagwell (outside of the few weeks he was there) .

the Freebirds actually had a cup of coffee in Vinceland in 1984.
for me i'd say Gino Hernandez. the guy just had "it". looks, mic skills, ring work. he was on his way up when he passed away in 1986 under very very shady circumstances. if anybody is interested in that story, look it up, very weird to say the least.
anyway back to the topic, Hernandez was an awesome heel. his early work in a tag team with Tully Blanchard, and his time in World Class fueding with the Von Erichs got him on the map. according to Gary Hart one of two things would have happened. Crockett was looking to move him up out of World Class and into the NWA, and there was talk of Vince sniffing around with interest in bringing him to New York. either way, the guy would have been gold. played the arrogant heel perfect. watch his vignette with Chris Adams from a downtown Dallas nightclub on youtube sometime. for the 80s it was a great heel promo.

I think Vince would've turned Nikita Koloff into a huge monster. He could've feuded w Hogan, Sgt Slaughter, Nicolai Volkoff, etc. Kevin Von Erich as well is another name I wish would've followed Kerry to WWE after World Class and AWA stints. YES, Gino Hernandez would've been awesome, good call realoldskool! I loved Gino too bad he couldn't say no to the cocaine...

One that everybody has missed, is Magnum TA. If it was not for his major motor accident that ended his career, it would have only been a matter of time before he came across. I mean Ric Flair even came over, Sting the only main player who did not come across. Stan Lane came to WWE, as a commentator and Bobby Eaton was a trainer for a while. The Rock and Roll Express wrestled numerous times in WWE, Survivor Series 1993 for a start, and their 1998 run in the Cornette Led NWA faction. Magnum TA, if left as himself, would have been a huge match up for the SuperHero Hulkster. Sure a heel TA was never really tested as a character, and Vince probably would have wrecked the creative like he did with Flair/Hogan in 1991-1992.

Lane Russell during the Attitude Era. Russell would have been great as Jim Ross' sidekick with Jerry Lawler keeping his role. It's a wonder Lance isn't in the HOF.

Lots of good choices so far. I'm gonna go with a vwry underrated team imo. My team is HIGH VOLTAGE- can't exactly remember their indavidual names but I'm pretty sure one was Kronic. I thought these guys had a very impressive look to them. The crowd was usualy hot for their matches and they usualy a match worth it. In WWF at the time there were a lot of good tag teams with The Hardys,The Dudleys,APA,E&C, RTC,New Age Outlaws, The Nation etc. I realy believe they could have done well against anyone of these teams. To top it off they BOTH had the look Vince creams for so maybe they could have had good single careers there too. Also I totaly agree with the Kevin Sullivan pick , his fued with Benoit is still one of my favorites.

sting and u cant doubt. he would of been perfect for a wrestlemania match with guys like hbk taker and more great talents. Sting was the undertaker of wcw. But sting even said himself. wwe would drop the ball ion him like wwe did to other great athletes.

nikita koloff would be a nice thought in wwf/e as long as vince didnt decide to crush him because he didnt create him but i think he couldve done well there

also buff bagwell--and i know he was there but canned after 1 or 2 weeks i believe it was--he probably shouldve gotten another chance at succeeding there then if he messed up again go ahead and release him

I can't think of his name at the moment that the Jap that wrestled Mike Awesome when they tore the house down at one of the last ECW PPV's......he was built like a brick shithouse.....and could take a beating. I think if he was pushed as a no nonsense wrestler and not some joke like EVERY OTHER ETHNIC WRESTLER THAT COMES THROUGH WWE ----he would definately have made some believers....of course, this would have to be during the blood and guts era of WWE.

Both the Freebirds and The Rock and Roll did work for Vince... Freebirds in the mid 80's for a brief time and Rock n Rolls in the NWA mid 90's angle for WWE...
So far most of those named "never worked" for Vince a lot mentioned did... even Masato Tanaka who the previous poster is referring to (at WWE One Night Stand).. its not who did Vince use once badly or who blew their one shot like Buff...

Guys I think who would have done something in WWE who never did work there...

Van Hammer: Had the look, the gimmick kinda worked, but WWE picked Maxx Payne/Man Mountain Rock instead... Hammer could have worked with a Warrior style push... and he might have learned from some of the other guys around there at the time...

Nikita Koloff: This guy would have been the steal of the century in 1991 rather than Sid... Same gimmick, put him with Hogan rather than Slaughter... but fate intervened and his wife got sick and later died...Nikita retired... the biz lost someone special as did the "master of the russian sickle"...

Glen Gilberti: Disco Inferno or a similar gimmick would have really flown in the Attitude Era for Vince... Should have tagged him with Honky Tonk Man for a while...

The Great Muta: Man this guy should have feuded with Savage as champ in 1989 or 90 instead of Hogan... how awesome would those matches have been?

Giant Haystacks: He should have headlined WM2 against Hogan rather than Bundy, far better big man, better worker and more charismatic... they could have done a lot with the face/heel british angle with the Bulldogs winning the belts that night... When he was Loch Ness he was already riddled with cancer and near the end... in 86 he was the best big man in the biz full stop... such a waste...

Pat Roach: Another Brit star who had major Hollywood success... (If you have seen the first 2 Indy movies you have seen him fight Ford as the Bald German or the Indian Slavemaster...) he went more into acting but he was basically Sheamus 25 years earlier...and a great monster to have worked with Hogan...

It may be going back to WWWF and Vince Sr, but I would have loved to see Ox Baker work with Vince, even as a colour commentator. He gave the most amazing promos and could work pretty well for a big man in his prime. He also had the whole heart punch gimmick which would have worked as a legitimate tough guy.

Ox was on his retirement plan with Escape From New York sadly... he was a bit too beat up and ready to stop... I actually think he would have been a stronger guy for Hogan to beat rather than Sheiky-baby... but twas not to be... Like the idea tho!

My choice would be Eddie Gilbert. I would love for him to have gotten a shot on the big stage. He was technically sound, one of the great promo guys of his time, and he just really understood ring psychology and the art of the feud. He never rose above the level of regional star, but in my opinion, he was before his time. Given the right opportunity, he could've an alltime great.

Again...Eddie did work there but washed out early... 80's WWF was no place for anyone with ideas other than Vince and Hogan... he was a victim of that as was Michael Hayes... it's telling that Hayes is still such a major part of the machine... Sadly Eddie never lived up to his potential but he was never going to do it in the WWF... If he was around today... head of creative or not far off...

Eddie Gilbert, Ox Baker, Lance Russell...now i'm seeing some names baby!!!!!

how about this one.....Greg Gagne. small, unbelievable looking as a wrestler yet technically sound. wrestled his entire career for his dads promotion. what would/could Vince have done with him? i know he was the complete opposite of what Vince wanted in a wrestler during the 80s but sure would have been an interesting scenario as to how and why he showed up on WWF Superstars one random saturday morning.

The Midnight Express(Condry & Eaton). They actually almost came to Vince back around 1986. Jim and the boys came up North for a meeting but it just didn't work out as Vince and the boys had different view of things about the wrestling business.

Kevin Von Eich. Would have loved to see him wrestle guys like Savage and Orndorff !

I can't think of his name at the moment that the Jap that wrestled Mike Awesome when they tore the house down at one of the last ECW PPV's......he was built like a brick shithouse.....and could take a beating. I think if he was pushed as a no nonsense wrestler and not some joke like EVERY OTHER ETHNIC WRESTLER THAT COMES THROUGH WWE ----he would definately have made some believers....of course, this would have to be during the blood and guts era of WWE.

The name you're looking for is Masato Tanaka, would've been awesome if he'd done well in WWE. If they had brought him and Mike Awesome in to feud with eachother, and done it right, it would've been epic.

Another name I'm going to throw out there is Mikey Whipwreck. Would've been really cool to have him come out and feud with Stone Cold over who the originator of the Stunner would be.

I'd like to say Alex Wright. The guy was a very good technician, seemed to get over well as a face and was still very young (25), but fairly experienced when WCW folded, having defeated Jean-Paul Levesque (later Triple H) at Starrcade 1994 with 19 (!). He could be at his peak right now with 35. I think there could've been some decent programs for him.

But him instead having a wrestling school in Germany is a good thing for me though.:p

At the moment, the only person I can think of is Steve Corino. Even though he was used for the "Jailbird" chants on Crush and was in development with WWE, I think he would've been more suited for WWE than he was ECW as his gimmick is "Old School". He wasnt really a hardcore wrestler, more of a standard wrestler. He could've been good in the IC division imo.

Back in the mid-90's when Vince had some of the Japanese women working for him it would have been great to see Akira Hokuto and Manami Toyota come in. The 2 best female workers in the business coming in to work wth Alundra Blaze would have been awesome !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back