The 2014 Vikings: Minnesota, or Los Angeles?

Where will the Vikings be in two years, and why?

• A. Minnesota, because both sides are serious about getting a new stadium.

• B. Los Angeles, because the Vikings have been planning a move all along.

• C. Los Angeles, because the Legislature simply can't approve a 3rd massive spending project.

• Both B and C. Both sides are just playing the Public Relations game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Davi323

semi-retired from WZ
As many of the NFL fans know, the Minnesota Vikings are currently trying to get approval to build a new stadium in Minnesota. Their lease on the Metrodome expires after next season, and then they are pretty much free to do whatever they want. They state that they want to stay in Minnesota, and Minnesota wants them to stay. Or so both sides claim. To tell you the truth, I am skeptical that at least one, if not both of the sides is not being completely honest about their intentions...

The case for the Vikings lying:
The Los Angeles market is significantly larger than it is in Minneapolis-St. Paul. The TV revenue increase from local contracts alone would be quite significant. The NFL is desperate to put a team in the 2nd largest TV market in the contract, and would probably make it as easy as possible to entice the Vikings to move. They also know that relocating to the west coast would not be too inconvenient for the league. The LA Vikings and St. Louis Rams swap divisions. That's all it would take. The Rams are stuck in a division they don't belong in, and the NFC North is a MUCH better fit geographically for the team, not only in time zone difference, but travel ability of Rams fans. I don't think there would be too much opposition on either side here. It makes sense for both sides to make such a move, and the Vikings know that already. They also know that the Minnesota Legislature already approved a new stadium for the Minnesota Gophers and Minnesota Twins, and that they may be reluctant to approve a second large expenditure for a sports stadium that quickly. An argument could be made that the Vikings have no real interest in staying in Minnesota, so their negotiations with the Minnesota legislature are just a show for the fans, so that they don't all abandon the team before next season is over.

The case that the Minnesota Legislature is lying:
They just approved a new stadium for the Gophers and Twins. Two brand new stadiums in such a short time is a LARGE state expense, and they may be extremely reluctant to add a 3rd such cost to the taxpayers. However, while they may be willing to let the Vikings go because they don't want to spend the money, they are also politicians. They have to make sure that the taxpaying voters see them as the good guys and the Vikings as the bad guys. The Vikings have stated that they cannot go above 427 million dollars for their share, so what does the Minnesota Legislature do? They approve a measure to build them a new stadium with the Vikings on the hook for 532 million, over one hundred million dollars more than the Vikings are willing to spend. Why would they do that? Simple. They need their constituent Vikings fans to be mad at the team, not them when they can't come to an agreement. They need to paint the Vikings as the bad guys, by giving them a way to say "hey, we passed an approval, it was the Vikings that balked on it, that proves they always wanted to move, and that they weren't serious about negotiating a deal...you can't blame us for them leaving".

Now, it's entirely possible that both sides are serious about working out a deal, and it's possible that both sides understand that the Vikings will be leaving, but are trying to paint it in whatever way makes each side look better. Personally, I am leaning towards the whole thing being a sham, that in two years, there will be an NFL team in Los Angeles again, but I want your opinions.

Truthfully, being that LA is hell bent on getting Farmer's Field built, it wouldn't surprise me if the Vikings did move to LA. But that doesn't mean the move is imminent either. It would be a shake up for certain. I do think that the fans want to keep the Vikings in Minnesota, and maybe the city will grant them a new stadium. Hell they could play where the Gophers play temporarily. The Seahawks did the same thing when they played at Huskies Stadium while CenturyLink was being constructed. I think they'll end up staying.

If I'm not mistaken the deal is already being worked out and the Vikings are not only staying in Minnesota but they will be getting a new stadium as well. I think the idea of an L.A. team is a pipe dream right now. There are too many obstacles there and the city hasn't committed to taking on an NFL team yet anyways. They are still having problems getting the approval for a stadium to be built there, there's money disputes between AEG(the company who runs the Staples Center, part owner of the Lakers, and the company that would be building the new stadium), and the NFL. That's why they need a team to commit to coming there, at the moment no one is jumping at the opportunity, and they aren't going to just start a new team there. The Vikings aren't going anywhere and they're looking to rebuild, right there in Minnesota.

The problem is that the Vikings insist that there is an upper limit to how much they are willing to spend, and both the House and Senate versions of the bill were significantly higher than that limit. Don't forget, the Vikings have to agree to the deal after the Minnesota legislature passes it...Granted, the Senate version is a lot closer than the House was, but it's still not at the monetary level the Vikings claim they can't (or won't) exceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back