tdigle Talks House and Europop

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
So, I got some rep from Smooth Sexual Chocolate the other day about how he's a fan of a little known electronic group called Ratatat (you'll find some recommendations from me in here, bro, although Ratatat is only one of the handful of electronic rock groups that I enjoy). Also, Dewey mentioned in the Bar Room the other day about how the music section is filled with nothing but threads on metal and rap. So, I've decided to spice things up in here and talk about my favorite types of music: House and Europop.

Me talking about my favorite types of music is a mixed blessing. On one hand, I don't have a fucking clue about musical terminology, so don't expect any posts of mine to be on par with something you might read in Rolling Stone or Blender (is Blender ever around anymore?). On the other hand, I'll post frequently in this thread, as I won't be so self-conscious about what I post: I love House and Europop, and I'll explain in depth what it does to me emotionally, but I don't have to worry about the technicalities since I know fuck all about musicology.

All right, here are the individuals/groups I plan on covering this week:

• Vito Lucente / Room 5 / Junior Jack
  • Glass Candy
  • Galleon

So this opening post won't be considered spam, I invite anyone else to talk about House or Europop in this thread. Are you all that familiar with these types of music? If so, are you a fan? If you're a fan, what are some of your favorite artists/groups? Are you knowledgeable about the myriad types of House sub-genres? Would you care to explain the difference between them?

I don't tend to be great with definitions either. So I am a bit unsure what is meant by either House music or Euro pop. The latter I think I will probably know slightly more about. Hopefully it is indeed pop music as played in Europe :p

But yeah currently one of my favourite artists at the moment is Miss Li- a Swedish singer/songwriter whose song styles range from manic to sad and poignant, though generally they are always good for a dance and her lyrics tend to focus on relationships. Media player puts her down as World and Rock and Indie for each album I have so I might be off track a bit. I'll throw in a song in any case.

[YOUTUBE]eyRB3s19INE[/YOUTUBE]

But if this isn't really what you mean by Euro pop I also like a French artist who is a bit more dance related. Yelle's songs switch from pop to dance quite frequently and I actually like both versions of this song- A Cause Des Garcons and so I will give you both to see if either fits more.

First the popier version
[YOUTUBE]tmLjZrH0VlY&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

And now the dance remix (which is actually on the album rather than the original)
[YOUTUBE]aUduYknAGe8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Finally just in case electronic music was more what you were looking for here- I'll throw in a song from Alice in Videoland who are a Swedish synthpop band.
[YOUTUBE]RANSSx7nqoo[/YOUTUBE]

So yeah hopefully one of those were sort of similar to what you were looking for- still no real idea about House music- but I am sure I will discover soon :)

I listen to House music on occasion as well as a bit of Europop. Nitafrong House can generally be described as stuff you would get from Ministry of Sound on their compilations, and it has a bit of variation on it you can go from remixes and covers of songs like this.

through to songs like this.

great clubbing music. Fucking love many of the music videos, and you can see why with these few videos.

If EMI weren't possessive fuck wits I would be showing one of the most awesome videos that there is out there. But there are also the cool videos out there that make you think and merge great music into them like this.

Vito Lucente / Room 5 / Junior Jack

DJ_Junior_Jack_1.jpg

Tentative Sub-genre Classification: French House / Disco House / Funky House

So, tdigle, what would you care to tell us about this particular artist (skip the boring biographical details, please)?

Well, first, I'd like to apologize for not classifying Mr. Lucente under one particular sub-genre of House music. However, there's definitely a reason behind this seeming indecision. Although I first became acquainted with Mr. Lucente through his Junior Jack alias, he first gained widespread recognition with the album, "Music & You," under his Room 5 moniker in late 2003. With "Music & You," Mr. Lucente presented to the world of House a catchy, groove-worthy, French / disco house release similar to Daft Punk's "Discovery" and Modjo's single, "Lady (Hear Me Tonight)." While "Music & You" produced hits with the title track and "Make Luv" (with the latter being widely recognized now as a House anthem), it was the track, "I Need U," that drew in yours truly.

That being said, Mr. Lucente's real claim to fame in the world of House came a few months later when he released "Trust It" under the name of Junior Jack. While Mr. Lucente managed to keep things light and playful throughout "Music & You," he produces something much more dark, taut, and edgy with "Trust It." Although "Trust It" remains faithful to the disco house genre (just listen the aptly-titled "Stupidisco," which samples from The Pointer Sisters' "Dare Me"), the influence of such Trance artists as Ferry Corsten is readily apparent. Ultimately, this makes for an extremely likable fusion that could be classified as a Deep Funky House.

All right. Supposing that I'm familiar with House, which tracks of this artist would you recommend?

Well, if you're a fan of Daft Punk's "Discovery," I obviously recommend the album "Music & You." The most popular of its tracks, "Make Luv," is very similar in sound to the tracks "Something About Us" and "Voyager:"

[YOUTUBE]qauvxV3u_mQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]H8RgMU9YYvA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Dkik97YkiE0[/YOUTUBE]​

And, if you're a fan of Ferry Corsten's later work, especially his album, "L.E.F.," then I recommend you take a listen to the whole of "Trust It." Here's Ferry Corsten's "Fire" and Junior Jack's "Da Hype:"

[YOUTUBE]04Uuarao5hM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]INXJAce_I_o[/YOUTUBE]​

So, I got some rep from Smooth Sexual Chocolate the other day about how he's a fan of a little known electronic group called Ratatat (you'll find some recommendations from me in here, bro, although Ratatat is only one of the handful of electronic rock groups that I enjoy). Also, Dewey mentioned in the Bar Room the other day about how the music section is filled with nothing but threads on metal and rap. So, I've decided to spice things up in here and talk about my favorite types of music: House and Europop.

This is awesome, I'm so glad you made this thread, I literally logged on with the intention of starting an electronic music thread, but this will more than do. Major brownie points for being a fellow Ratatat fan as well, and I must know what other Electronic Rock groups your listening to.

As far as House and Euro Pop go, I'm no familiar, though I do listen to a fair amount of Trance and Psy-Trance which is pretty much in the same family with house music. As far as Trance goes Infected Mushroom is one of, if not the best out there Imo. Their infusion of Rock and even a little Metal in with their psychedelic sound is like nothing else out there.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UpXM0Z7U8c0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UpXM0Z7U8c0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kipooHI1NGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kipooHI1NGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C_0A3eJLrSc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C_0A3eJLrSc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

These three songs give you a pretty good taste of what Infected Mushroom is about, all three songs are a good listed, especially Heavyweight, that song is off the wall.

Junior Jack - Da Hype was an awesome track, and the daft punk is classic, this thread is all kinds of awesome, I'll make sure to come back and post more electronic goodness.

In an attempt to not have by last post be the official death of this thread, I went out and familiarized myself some euro house, well French house to be more specific.

So I will start off with my favorite French Electronic House artist, and that would be Kavinsky (Vincent Belorgey). He specializes in keeping his sounds in tune with the 80's, delicious synths and catchy beats make you feel like you in a high speed car chase on the set of Miami Vice.

Kavinsky
Dead Cruiser

This track totally combines the essence of 80's and house, and blends them masterfully.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pynfeasmlWs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pynfeasmlWs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Kavinsky
Testarossa Autodrive

The full, non remixed version could not be found, but they did a prime cut of the meat, and placed the best 2 min down below, so enjoy.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SQSHg-SJXR8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SQSHg-SJXR8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I have to say I'm pretty happy with my dive into French House music, and hope this thread may be a gateway to a few more quality artists.

SSC, Kavinsky's pretty good. It's really hard to classify him, though. We could classify him as French House, but he's definitely much darker than Daft Punk, nowhere near as heavy on rock samples as Cassius or Justice, and nowhere near as fidgety as SebastiAn.

In my opinion, he seems to be French House (as defined by the groups I previously mentioned) but with a hint of Italo Disco.

SSC, Kavinsky's pretty good. It's really hard to classify him, though. We could classify him as French House, but he's definitely much darker than Daft Punk, nowhere near as heavy on rock samples as Cassius or Justice, and nowhere near as fidgety as SebastiAn.

In my opinion, he seems to be French House (as defined by the groups I previously mentioned) but with a hint of Italo Disco.

I see, I'm still familiarizing myself with the whole french house scene, though I have to admit that I'm starting to find myself being sucked in deeper and deeper, as I'm really enjoying the heavy sounds.

Ive been a fan of justice for more than a few years, and never realized that was french house, I branched off into some Boys Noize and have really been enjoying myself, the stuffs so heavy I just cant help but get up and move, I find it great for running, or any type of exercise.

Boys Noize
& Down

[YOUTUBE]<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VwzRLgJorYQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VwzRLgJorYQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Boys Noize
Jeffers

I guess this is considered proper french house form.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ifcpNy2QfJw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ifcpNy2QfJw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Boys Noize
Lava Lava

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WdVjZWCOn0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WdVjZWCOn0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I can only assume this is the heavy french house that you are speaking off, the heavy rock samples ad upbeat rhythm makes this shit absolutely infectious.

necropost.jpg

Indeed I did just work some of that necro magic and bring this classic thread back from the dead. Looking through my music library I noticed much French and European electronic music. I was like DAMN! SSC, you wouldn't have three quarters of this stuff if it wasn't for that thread Tdigs created. It's the truth too, I didn't have much knowledge about overseas electronic music at the time this thread was created, but a little self education on the subject and I'm a Bona fide expert now.

So I was listening to my itunes on the old shuffle feature when a song from Siriusmo came on, it took me back a few months, which is like a few years in stoner time, and gave me more than enough inspiration to post some delicious tunes for the masses.

Siriusmo, French, and electronic. With that delightful sound that you thought went out of style in the 80's, fantastic high energy dance beats with synths that gently rape your ears in quite the pleasurable fashion.

Enough with the colorful descriptions and onto the music, first I'll start you off with probably my favorite Siriusmo track, though it's tough to pick just one as a favorite.

and

Now for a couple goodies wrapped all tight and cozy inside this sleek spoiler tag.

There you have it, quite the classy Necro job if you ask me.

I was recently pointed in the direction of a guy who goes by the name Feadz. I was told to check out a song titled Suck It, so like a good SSC, I went out of my way (not really) to get my hands on their EP entitled Happy Meal, not being able to find a torrent I had to fork out the big bucks and purchase this like the rest of he general public.

Well the purchase was well worth it, and my interest in euro house is slowly growing into a bit of an obsession, and I can't say that's a bad thing, cause there's nothing that really bangs harder than what these crazy Europeans are producing.

Here's a little sample of what I'm talking about.

I've been enjoying some Surkin as of late, who I discovered while listening to Siriusmo, as well as just looking at the similar artist page on itunes. I've really been diggin' it as of late, especially mixed in with other similar artists, just seem to slow nicely together.

So this stuff is not as heavy as most french electronic, it more so focuses on the house element, and that classic 90's house sound to be exact. Two songs stand out more than the others, though I'm only posting one, because I'm a lazy selfish son of a bitch. So here it is for all you to enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back