• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superstars And Their Gimmick of Expertise

Little Jerry Lawler

Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids
You think Russo used a lot of gimmicks. Imagine if he was in WWE with all these gimmick PPV's currently in place. I've noticed over the last decade that it seems different gimmick matches have been the forte of different wrestlers. Let me explain.

I Quit: I don't think anyone would argue that Cena is better at this type of match than anyone else. He has had victories over JBL, Randy Orton, and The Miz. His character is the type that will never get up despite how much pain he is in.

Last Man Standing: This honor goes to Randy Orton who has two or three LMS victories over HHH and another one over Punk at Extreme Rules of this year.

Ladder/TLC: I didn't know if I wanted to separate these so at the end, I kept them together. I give this both to Edge and Jeff Hardy. Hardy was the high risk perfromer who would awe you with his moves and Edge was the more calculating performer but both performed extremely well in this gimmick match

Hell in a Cell: Even though HHH has less singles losses than the Undertaker, this is still the Deadman's match. Undertaker has had great performances against HBK, Batista, and Orton. We all know about Mankind.

Elimination Chamber: This goes to the Cerebal Assassin with four victories but Cena's creeping up on him with three. However, HHH just seems fit for the Elimination Chamber. Who can forget when Goldberg dominated in 2003 but fell with one shot of the sledgehammer. I've never heard a crowd go silent that quickly.

So do you agree with my choices listed above or do you have differing opinions?

Do you think that the masters of these gimmick matches will be replaced with younger wrestlers in the next decade?

So do you agree with my choices listed above or do you have differing opinions?

Yessir. Everyone you listed was perfectly suited for each match. Yet, I have a problem with this one;
Last Man Standing: This honor goes to Randy Orton who has two or three LMS victories over HHH and another one over Punk at Extreme Rules of this year.
When I think Last Man Standing, I don’t think of Randy Orton at all. While you listed John Cena as the master behind the I Quit match and I agree with it and all, but this match too belongs to Cena. He holds victories over (off the top of my head) Edge, Batista, Umaga and Randy Orton. Each match was unique in its own right with him taping Batista's feet in his match with Batista, him using the rope to lock in the STF in the Umaga match, and him overcoming the odds when Randy Orton tortured him - still one of the hardest things I have watched in wrestling. Randy Orton is a psychopath and is a perfect candidate for the master of the Last Man Standing match but John Cena's LMS matches seem so much more memorable.

Do you think that the masters of these gimmick matches will be replaced with younger wrestlers in the next decade?

Nah, mostly because I don't want to admit it. But I seriously doubt there will be another Edge or Jeff Hardy in the TLC/Ladder Match. I seriously doubt someone will ever overtake Cena's record in I Quit matches and I don't think someone will ever become accustomed to the Elimination Chamber or Hell in a Cell like Triple H and The Undertaker. It is possible, but with the current roster, I don't see anyone who could fit the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back