Superman + Batman Film Set For 2015.

There should have been at least one more Superman movie before a team up of any kind. It's obvious WB are doing this to compete with Avengers 2. Will it work? Potentially. Will it be good? We'll see.....

They had a better logo in I am Legend:

legend_poster.jpg

That's closer to the logo used on Batman/Superman comics and graphic novels like Public Enemies. I prefer it as well.

I was expecting WB to go with something closer to this fan made logo, which represents both resurrected franchises better:

wCQFtZj.jpg

The one they've got is fine I guess, especially since they're likely to ditch the Chris Nolan Batman continuity. I'm with jmt, though, my expectations are set very low.

Finally giving a Superman film some action was nice, but Snyder is still awful. Like, Michael Bay awful. Apparently Nolan's taking on a smaller role this time, so that's even scarier.

I don't feel good about this. It's hard to believe Nolan's a fan of Snyder, but apparently he is.

Seeing Batman and Superman together will be enough to get me there, but anything directed by Snyder automatically makes me skeptical.

I've never understood the appeal of Superman. Can somebody explain what is so appealing about him to me, please?

He stands for all that is good and right in the World, only modern audiences are jaded and cynical. Or maybe he's just boring.

He stands for all that is good and right in the World, only modern audiences are jaded and cynical. Or maybe he's just boring.

I don't think it's as much that as it is that Americans like to root for the underdog, something Superman is incapable of being since he's so powerful.

I've never understood the appeal of Superman. Can somebody explain what is so appealing about him to me, please?

He's both.

I don't think it's as much that as it is that Americans like to root for the underdog, something Superman is incapable of being since he's so powerful.

Ehh... Americans say they root for the underdog (and sometimes we follow through, granted), but our actions are usually those of front-runners. The reason Superman is so powerful in the first place is because we like our champions to be the biggest, strongest, and fastest. Superman's appeal is in his unflappable moral character combined with his seemingly unlimited power.

Many find Superman boring because, well, he is kind of boring. Once you get past the whole alien part, there's very little depth to character and even less to sympathize with. He's an attractive Übermensch who always does right, wins and gets the girl. There's no pathos. People have their own personal reasons for disliking him too, I guess, but if there's one overriding cause, I'd bet that's it.

I like Superman for what he is. I've watched the movies, TV shows, and I've got a few graphic novels from the more interesting storylines. He's best when kept lighthearted and down-to-earth. I enjoyed Man of Steel for the spectacle, but frankly the best thing about the movie was Kevin Costner's Johnathan Kent. The Donner films and Smallville are much better representations of the mood and atmosphere that Superman should exist in (IMHO, of course). Man of Steel's box office numbers show that folks are still interested enough in Big Blue, though, so folks can't be too jaded.

Once upon a time, we rooted for the loner as well. The guy who is lost and has trouble fully relating to those around, someone who's essentially all alone.

Yep... we're assholes.

Superman should be a more relatable character than Batman, he was raised on a farm by good, hard working parents, his dad died and all that shite, he's had to go to the big city and make his own way in the world, but he's not Human, can outrun a bullet, can catch a train in his hand and is nigh on invincible, plus he stands in front of us all with this moral superiority, flawless character and goofy costume and you can see why people sour on him.

Of course, that doesn't explain the rise in popularity of Marvel's Thunder God, I believe Thor has grossed more than any Hulk film so far, does a hammer and a bit of arrogance make that much difference or is it because we haven't seen films about him since the 80's?

I've never thought of America as a Country that roots for the underdog, certainly not in the way that England is famous for. So I think if Superman was a cigar chomping Wolverine we wouldn't have this issue, personally I think Wolverine can go fuck himself, now there is an overplayed, dull, shit stereotype of a character. Still, he's an anti-hero, but even anti-hero's are fizzling out now, gone are the days of Stone Cold, as a species we find anti-villains more interesting, because they're even more bad ass; Dexter, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Oz, even those more cartoonish films like Despicable Me and that Will Ferrell animated film.

In short, Superman isn't bad ass enough, maybe if he had a trident, a shotgun and constantly swigged out of a whiskey flask.

Superman should be a more relatable character than Batman, he was raised on a farm by good, hard working parents, his dad died and all that shite, he's had to go to the big city and make his own way in the world, but he's not Human, can outrun a bullet, can catch a train in his hand and is nigh on invincible, plus he stands in front of us all with this moral superiority, flawless character and goofy costume and you can see why people sour on him.

Do people really want superheroes they can relate to?

Of course, that doesn't explain the rise in popularity of Marvel's Thunder God, I believe Thor has grossed more than any Hulk film so far, does a hammer and a bit of arrogance make that much difference or is it because we haven't seen films about him since the 80's?

I think Thor had a great mix of normal Earth-bound simplicity and the ridiculous over-the-top Asgard, something which I think Man of Steel attempted to copy.

Thor also had the great hero being depowered and stuck in an alien culture where he had to try to fit in. Superman does not have that as he was brought up as a human.

I've never thought of America as a Country that roots for the underdog, certainly not in the way that England is famous for.

I would never have put America in the bracket of "supporting for the underdog." Well, they might cheer for the underdog but in the end, they want the favourite to win. Then again, it is rare that the Americans are the underdogs in anything so why would they not cheer for someone who is more likely to be a fellow countryman about to win something.

So I think if Superman was a cigar chomping Wolverine we wouldn't have this issue, personally I think Wolverine can go fuck himself, now there is an overplayed, dull, shit stereotype of a character.

I am still very much in the Wolverine camp when it comes to movie characters as I think, even with the below power Origins, a good job has been done in portraying him as a far more multi-dimensional character than the likes of Superman - a powerful mutant, uncertain of his place in the world and how his friends end up getting hurt when he is around them but making up for it by having this gruff, sarcastic, tough-guy exterior.

The build up to The Wolverine has gotten me far more interested in going to see it than any comic book movie in recent years.

Still, he's an anti-hero, but even anti-hero's are fizzling out now, gone are the days of Stone Cold, as a species we find anti-villains more interesting, because they're even more bad ass; Dexter, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Oz, even those more cartoonish films like Despicable Me and that Will Ferrell animated film.

This is a good point. There has definitely been a shift towards the villain in the last decade, if only as a knock on from the anti-hero with the villain able to get away with more.

Ooh, I missed this.

Барбоса;4549837 said:
Do people really want superheroes they can relate to?

Looking at the trend of successful ones so far I'd have to say no. Another point against Superman.

I think Thor had a great mix of normal Earth-bound simplicity and the ridiculous over-the-top Asgard, something which I think Man of Steel attempted to copy.

Thor also had the great hero being depowered and stuck in an alien culture where he had to try to fit in. Superman does not have that as he was brought up as a human.

I've always said this is the biggest problem with him, well apart from being ridiculously over-powered, wearing a goofy costume and his moral superiority. Even Captain America has that charming fish out of water quality that Superman lacks, the whole "I get that reference" scene in Avengers shows that.

I would never have put America in the bracket of "supporting for the underdog." Well, they might cheer for the underdog but in the end, they want the favourite to win. Then again, it is rare that the Americans are the underdogs in anything so why would they not cheer for someone who is more likely to be a fellow countryman about to win something.

Like, Andy Roddick is the closest thing they've had to an underdog for as long as I can remember.

I am still very much in the Wolverine camp when it comes to movie characters as I think, even with the below power Origins, a good job has been done in portraying him as a far more multi-dimensional character than the likes of Superman - a powerful mutant, uncertain of his place in the world and how his friends end up getting hurt when he is around them but making up for it by having this gruff, sarcastic, tough-guy exterior.

See, I've definitely had my fill of characters like that, they just seem to be everywhere, add in Wolverines dominance of the X-Men films and I for one am seriously glad Marvel won't be able to use him or Spidey in any Avengers films anytime soon. Whereas I find the more goofy Captain America to be a nice change in direction. Superman is still dull as shit though. I don't see the appeal in the Batman either.

The build up to The Wolverine has gotten me far more interested in going to see it than any comic book movie in recent years.

Completely the opposite, vaguely excited for Guardians, biding time til' Avengers 2.

This is a good point. There has definitely been a shift towards the villain in the last decade, if only as a knock on from the anti-hero with the villain able to get away with more.

I like to think its a redemption factor, we want them to do the right thing in the end and are sufficiently happy/repulsed when they do/don't. Villains that turn good are very easy to root for, see any number of Game Of Thrones characters or even Guy of Gisbourne from that underwhelming BBC version of Robin Hood.

The above sentence contains spoilers from the underwhelming BBC version of Robin Hood.

Apparently the title for the movie is actually going to be Batman vs Superman or vice versa.

Really hope they're still going with World's Finest.

I might go see my first Superman movie if Batman is in it then... actually, this would be my first Superman thing ever, I believe.

personally I think Wolverine can go fuck himself, now there is an overplayed, dull, shit stereotype of a character.

One of the only reasons why I support Wolverine over Superman is because he's played by Hugh Jackman. I'm waiting for the day that they run out of character development for Wolverine and decide to stick him in a musical dance number.

One of the only reasons why I support Wolverine over Superman is because he's played by Hugh Jackman. I'm waiting for the day that they run out of character development for Wolverine and decide to stick him in a musical dance number.

Thanks for that, I've got a mental image of the X-Men cast performing A Chorus Line

I would like to see a Dark Knight Returns (from the animation movies), that would mean a lot more Batman and an epic battle between Batman and Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back