How Will Christian Bale Be Remembered?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We all know Christian Bale as the man who portrayed Batman to a whole new generation. And with the exception of George Clooney, I don't think that there has been an actor that has been quite so successful. That's not to say that Clooney's Batman was particularly good. The point I am driving at, is that George Clooney was already a top actor that was pulling in millions and millions to sign on for a movie. His career wasn't helped or hindered by the Batman role.

Bale has had some pretty big roles in his career already. Who will ever forget his performance as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho? Perhaps one of the craziest performances I have ever seen but completely engrossing and controlled. One could argue that this is the movie that brought him to mainstream Hollywood. When he followed that with The Machinist as Trevor Reznik, Bale really cemented himself as one of the most committed and versatile actors in the business.

However, it was the Batman series that really brought him to the attention of the world. Playing Bruce Wayne can be a lottery (Read: Val Kilmer) but under the direction of Christopher Nolan, the Batman character has been reinvented to be a kick-ass, dark vigilante that everyone is talking about. It would be very ignorant to think that Bale is not, at least, partly responsible for that. His performances as Bruce Wayne have been nothing short of brilliant. And whilst his voice might need a little work, we can all agree that he has played his part in the successful series pretty well.

That said, how do you think Christian Bale will be remembered by the film community?

Personally, I have to believe that the role as Batman/Bruce Wayne will be the role that will define the career of Christian Bale. I know that he has played outstanding parts in some outstanding movies but none of them have been a patch on the Dark Knight series. His role as Patrick Bateman enthralled me from start to finish and his performance in The Machinist is still one of the most perplexing but enjoyable roles I've ever seen him in. But most people, I have to think, will remember Christian Bale as the Caped Crusader.

But perhaps there is something else on the horizon for Christian Bale. With such a good opinion of him around Hollywood, who is to say that he will mot have another career-defining movie under his utility belt? Let's not forget that Bale has had major parts in successful films such as Terminator Salvation and 3:10 to Yuma.
So, with all that said, do we all think that his role as Bruce Wayne/Batman will be the role that defines Christian Bale's career? Or does another film really illustrate his acting talents more to you? Is there another film in the future that will put him in the upper echelons of acting talent in Hollywood? I'm intrigued to hear your thoughts on this.

Tough to say really. With the batman stuff, I think in hindsight people will look back and credit Nolan more than Bale for bringing it back to life in a similar fashion to people remember the first Batman as 'Tim Burton's Batman.'

While Bale was able to perform well in the 2 Batman outings so far, I don't think they are what people will point to as his finest acting roles, you mentioned American Psycho and The Machinist, but The Fighter would be a contender too. He slimmed down again like he did in The Machinist, although not as to the same extremes, and for the most part ceased to be Christian Bale playing so-and-so and just became the character.

Those 3 films are probably the best that really showcase his range of acting skills but he will definitely be remembered for his part as Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Batman. No question, in my eyes. He's somewhat magnificent in any role he takes on, and really throws himself into it, which is something that (as an aspiring young actor) I really do admire.

I'd like to agree with Tin-Tin and also say the film that won him an Oscar for best supporting actor, and the same accolade from the Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild, no less; The Fighter. If you haven't seen it, and you wish to watch incredibly high-quality acting, then watch it.

But, as good as he is in that film, and many others, as Batman he is portraying an icon, and it's that which people remember more.

Bale has always been one of my favorite actors, and I've always thought he was horribly underrated. Of course, he slowly began to gain some real mainstream recognition over the years. His performance in American Psycho was disturbing, and Bale really did look like a nutcase, who enjoyed his murderous rampages. Bale's performance in The Machinist was so outstanding, and Bale really did carry this film. His physical appearance could provide some cringing moments, and Bale was very believable in this film. Both Batman films helped take his popularity to the next level, and Bale really did earn his Oscar for the Best Supporting Actor in The Fighter, because he stole the show in that film. Also, for what it's worth, I actually enjoyed Bale in Terminator Salvation. Yeah, this performance doesn't measure to the bulk some of his work in other films, but he did deliver a very solid performance as John Connor. But it's kind of hard to replace Arnold Schwarzenegger as a main character, and the first two Terminator films will always stand tall on high pedestals (especially Judgement Day).

Bale has always had the goods, but he never received the amount of attention he deserved. The Batman films did wonders for his popularity, and I do think he will be remembered for being Bruce Wayne/Batman. The Batman/Bruce Wayne character has been portrayed by a number of actors over the years. Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, and George Clooney (who was the worst Batman ever) have all played the role of the famous superhero. But the other Batman films can't compare to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. These films will be remembered as the gold standard in the series, and Bale was the main character in both films.

Bale still has a good amount of time left, but when his career comes to an end, I have to believe Bruce Wayne/Batman will become his legacy. Batman Begins was superb, and The Dark Knight is praised as a classic. Yeah, Bale is an outstanding actor, who has some real talent, and he has portrayed more complex characters in other films. These characters had more depth, and the performances required a lot more work from Bale, but when it's all said and done, the popularity and success of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (and possibly The Dark Knight Rises) will overshadow the majority of Bale's career.

If Christian Bale's career was to end tomorrow, he'd be remembered for two things. First and foremost, he'd be remembered as Batman as pretty much everyone else has already said. It's a major film role he's had and most in the general population will recognise him as that. The other thing, which I'm slightly surprised hasn't been mentioned, is the incredibly long swearing rant he went on. That's a pretty well known thing and many associate Christian Bale's name with Batman and saying the word "fuck" a lot. That's for now of course. Only the future will tell what Bale's true legacy is.

When I think of Bale I don't really think of the Baman franchise at all..

I think about an actor who seems to be willing to do anything for a role, even put his own health at risk. He has slimmed down so many times for roles such as the Machinist, Rescue Dawn and The Fighter. The man takes his craft extremely seriously which is why he let loose on his rant as he is prepared to go beyond even common sense to pull off a character.

That's what I will remember him for.. oh and American Psycho...

If there were three movies to sum up how awesome Christian Bale is, it would be Batman Begins, American Psycho, and The Machinist. The man has an acting range and dedication to his craft like few others do. The man can gain and lose weight for a role like no other because of his dedication to his role. The guy is also phenomenal with his phrasing of his words as well. All around fantastic actor. Bale will be remembered for his hard work more than anything else.

Are you guys serious!?!?!?! His most memorable role is that of Jack Kelley from the Newsies! No other movie contends with it!

Alright, all joking aside, Batman was definitely great for Bale, but I think The Fighter is a better showing of his skills. I haven't seen any of the other movies mentioned, but he was so in depth in his character that it was so believable

For me, Christian Bale will always be Patrick Bateman, excusing himself with the line, "I have to return some video tapes."

Dude's a shit-hot actor though, he can do pretty much anything.

I disagree, Bale has his best years ahead of him, Like Michael Keatons portrayal of Batman the comic book community will be yearning for whomever takes on the cowl next, It wont be Bales pivotal role.

Bale is rather adaptable and his best roles are far from being played out the guy has a huge catalogue of amazing roles as Karilas has stated has been acknowledged for roles such as Batemen, Bruce Wayne, John Connor (for the wrong reasons), Dicky Erkland etc.

The guy is too good to be pigeonholed, for now though the role that defines him (until he leaves the franchise) will be batman, but his career is far from over and the best is yet to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back