Can Franchises Ruin The Legacies Of Certain Actors & Actresses?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
So I've been watching all of the films in the X-Men film series over the past few days, and I started to think about Hugh Jackman. Jackman has gained a good amount of popularity over the years, his hand and footprints are in the cement at Grauman's Chinese Theatre, and he has become a very recognizable name in Hollywood. Jackman has starred in many other films, but he is known for his portrayals of Wolverine/Logan in the X-Men series. I've always thought Jackman was a very solid actor. The Fountain wasn't horrendous, and I've always thought the critics overreacted when they judged that film. Van Helsing can be an enjoyable popcorn flick, and kate & Leopold could've been so much better, but Meg Ryan ruined that film, because she is an awful actress. Jackman has starred in some entertaining mainstream films, and most of these films were successful at the box office. But if Jackman doesn't deliver a mind-blowing Oscar worthy performance in the near future, Wolverine will become his legacy.

Spider-Man, Batman, Pirates Of The Caribbean, and X-Men are all big name franchises. These franchises are very popular with moviegoers, these films always make tons of money, most of these series have large fanbases, and the characters the actors portray in these films usually have an iconic status. Tobey Maguire has shown some promise in other films, but he gained all of his fame and popularity from the Spider-Man films. Johnny Depp is a great actor, and he has given a few Oscar worthy performances, but when people think of Depp, they will think of Captain Jack Sparrow. Christian Bale has delivered many Oscar worthy performances, but the outstanding success of the new Batman films could overshadow his entire career. Bale still has plenty of time left, but for now, he will be known as Bruce Wayne.

Although, in some cases, franchises could help the career of an actor or actress. Kate Beckinsale has been around for a while, but she really doesn't have that one great film on her résumé, and she hasn't delivered that memorable performance yet. And she does have stinkers like Whiteout and Pearl Harbor on her track record. Yeah, I know, Pearl Harbor was a huge box office success, but this film was just another flashy and over the top piece of shit from Michael Bay, and this film won't have any type of positive legacy. But she has gained some popularity as Selene in the Underworld film series. Beckinsale is known as the bad ass female vampire, and you could say the Underworld film series helped her career.

Depp and Bale do have what it takes to step out of the enormous shadows of their franchise characters. Both men are phenomenal actors, and they have already delivered a number of great performances. But it won't be easy, because Pirates Of The Caribbean has become a worldwide phenomenon, and the Batman film series has new life again. At times, I do think franchises can hurt the legacies of actors like Bale and Depp. They have tons of talent and incredible range. They shouldn't be remembered for the characters they portray in Batman and Pirates Of The Caribbean, because they can offer so much more. As far as Tobey Maguire goes, who knows what he could've been, if he never didn't become the loveable web-slinger? His career won't be looked at as a failure, because although I hate Spider-Man 3 with a burning white hot passion, all three films were a major success at the box office, and Maguire was the star of each of film. But people will think of Spider-Man, when they take a look at Tobey's career, and they won't think about Tobey Maguire the actor.

Also, avoiding the franchise stigma depends on the actor or actresses' ability. Depp and Bale can make us forget about Bruce Wayne and Jack Sparrow, because they have great talent, but Kate Beckinsale isn't on that level. She's a solid actress, and she is one of my favorites, but she hasn't had that one breakthrough performance just yet, and the Underworld franchise has given her career a nice boost. And Ryan Reynolds should hope for another Green Lantern film. A potential franchise could actually help him, because his track record is filled with piles of shit.

What are your thoughts?

Franchises are brands and depending on the actor/actress sometimes their stuck with a brand forever.

Harrison Ford is stuck with 2 franchises that he will NEVER get out of the shadows of (Star Wars and Indiana Jones) aside from a handful can you name any films Harrison Ford has been in not Star Wars or Indiana Jones related. He will always be remembered as Han Solo/Indiana Jones.

Same thing with Sylvester Stallone (Rocky and Rambo) and Arnold Schwarzenegger (Terminator and Conan) these guys will only really be remembered for these franchises.

Heck sometimes movie producers use that to their advantage 'Starring so and so from this franchise'

I do see what you mean about a franchise can help an actor/actress. Look at Wesley Snipes having been in some good films in the early 90s (Demoltion Man, Passenger 57, New Jack City etc) it wasn't until Blade that he became a big name.

I think a problem with people like Kate Beckinsale is while they're good actors they don't always pick the best roles, people like Johnny Depp and Christian Bale are slightly more careful when it comes to choosing roles. This is why they are not seen as Jack Sparrow or Bruce Wayne/Batman but Christian Bale and Johnny Depp.

And franchises give actors the money to try other things. They can do the low budget film that can let them explore their acting abilities and improve and show the world what they can do and then go make another film in the franchise to make up for it.

Lets be honest. Most "actors" don't go into acting to win Oscars. They do it to make a shit pile of money. Maybe Hugh Jackman might not get specific roles because he has been typecast as Wolverine...but, I bet he doesn't spend too much time in his multi-million dollar mansion stressing over it. Franchises have made actors exceedingly wealthy.

Not to mention, being associated with certain franchises is not really a negative at all. Yeah, Harrison Ford will always be known as Han Solo/Indiana Jones...but you didn't key on the important part of that...Harrison Ford will always be known. He got parts in other movies because movie studios wanted to capitalize on the fact that he was Han Solo/Indiana Jones, and therefore instantly recognizable all over the world. How many people went to see Bladerunner because it starred him, and not some unknown actor? He went from relatively unknown actor making cameo appearances and having brief roles, to being a guaranteed money maker and leading actor...all because of those franchises. He may not always come across as appreciative, (In fact, at times he has stated he hated Han Solo as a character) but Star Wars and Indiana Jones are the reason he has enjoyed a lengthy career. Now, the counter to that is Mark Hamill...how much of his lack of film success was do to being typecast as Luke Skywalker, and how much was because of the motorcycle accident he had that disfigured his face (seriously, the entire Bacta tank scene on Hoth was necessary to explain why baby-faced Mark Hamill suddenly had those scars on his face), but he did not enjoy the same film success. However, you can't really say his career tanked either. When you think of the joker, I bet most people reading this would think of the Joker from the animated series, even over Heath Ledger. Guess who did the voice? Guess who has made piles of money after transitioning from actor to voice actor? He does okay.

Also, I somehow doubt that Robert Downey Jr. wishes he had never accepted the role of Tony Stark as well. His career was nowhere. Now he is back on top. Sucks to be him.

Franchises that are successful tend to enhance an actor's resume, not detract from it. What would you rather be known as, Spiderman, or that kid in that movie whose name you can't remember where it was black and white, but then slowly adds color? The movie was Pleasantville...but I bet a lot people have never even heard of it.

Yeah I definitely believe that franchises can hurt actors, I mean it isn't hurting their wallets but I do believe that these people have movies they acted in that they would prefer to be remembered for and instead are remembered for playing a hobbit or something. I'm sure alot of folks get into acting for the money but you want to leave behind a legacy and you don't want that legacy to be for some successful franchise because then that's all anyone remembers you for.

I gotta go with Davi323. I think most actors are grateful for the experience of being apart of something that people will fondly remember.

Hugh Jackman made other films before X Men, but the franchise clearly opened doors for him and gave him a huge shot in the arm financially.

The Matrix franchise helped Keanu Reeves' sagging career.

No one heard of Hayden Christensen before the Star Wars Prequel trilogy.

Robert Downey Jr. was viewed as a huge risk before the Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes series of films.

Harrison Ford was a struggling actor before the Star Wars / Jones series.

Depp and the Pirates of the Caribbean series made him wealthy and introduced him to a new demographic.

Tobey Maguire wasn't really burning up the box office before the Spider Man trilogy.

The truth is Shia LaBeouf , is a decent actor but he couldn't really afford to be turn down The Transformer franchise. Megan Fox is a household name in large part to the series.

Christian Bale and the Batman franchise have struck gold

Many actors had huge successes with Bond.

Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint (I think that's his last name) will never do anything bigger than the Harry Potter series.

The Twilight series has made the three young actors household names.

Matt Damon has had a great run in the Bourne Trilogy

There can be a tendency to being typecast and the work can dry up. Add to that if the franchise is huge, it can overshadow any other film projects they do. But if they invest their earnings from those projects well enough and have the right people looking for the right projects for them they can find projects that challenge them and show they are more than a one trick pony and they can live comfortably. The benefits far outweight the downside of being in a part of a franchise.

I don't know. I guess it could have some backlash, at least in terms of type casting, but I think franchises do more good for an actor then bad. Look no further then Robert Pattenson. He was brilliant as Cedric Diggery in Harry Potter, but he will always be known as Edward Cullen. However, that is not a bad thing. Sure the films suck ass, but they have made him millions of dollars, as well as a house hold name. I would have to say that is a pretty fantastic thing to happen to him, and it was all because of the franchise he found himself in.

It very much depends on the actor/actress involved, and the type of series or franchise they are involved with. Hugh Jackman might be most famous now for playing Wolverine, but he filmed arguably his greatest work in the Prestige after the X-Men series was over. He also did a great job in his most recent project, Real Steal. But Hugh Jackman is a great actor, and it helps that Marvel (and to an extent Bryan Singer) is decent at making movies...

On the other hand, I doubt very much that any of the main character of the Harry Potter series will break out and have a successful acting career. They were all perfect for their roles in the HP series, but few of them came forth as actually great actors. In that case, it's not the franchise that will ruin the actor's legacy, it's their overall ability.

Like I already said, it's completely based on the actor/actress in question.

Most actors/actresses are concerned about being typecasted at one point or another. But it's not always everyone who plays in some series. Yes, Elijah Wood will most likely never live down his legacy as Frodo. Kate Beckinsale with probably always be known as "that kick ass vampire." But do you think Viggo Mortensen will only be remembered as Aragorn? Orlando Bloom as Legolas? Frankly, if Scott Speedman were remembered as Michael Corvin it would only help his lackluster career. It seems it's mostly only the main stars in the series that are hurt by it.

As for Tobey Maguire, I think he still has a chance because he's so young. He's done other movies since Spiderman, just nothing of note really. Maybe the new Spiderman series will help pull him out of that light.

Christian Bale, in my opinion, has done a great job of doing some good movies outside of the Batman series. I personally think he's given himself enough credibility outside of Batman that it will not be his legacy. Yes, he will always be remembered as doing an outstanding job at it, but he's made other good movies as well that I will remember him for. Not to mention, the directing in those movies have also been a big factor in their quality.

As for Johnny Depp, yes he made Jack Sparrow amazing, but there's no way you can think of him without thinking of many other movies and characters. He's had such an established career before Jack Sparrow that one of the reasons that character stuck out so much is because it was amazing just how well he played him. He's much closer to the end of his career than the beginning.

The one I have to completely disagree with some people is Harrison Ford. Yes, he's remembered as Han Solo. Yes, he's remembered as Indiana Jones. But in NO way did either of those hurt his career. Ever heard of a character named Jack Ryan? Pretty sure he has. Oh yeah, "The Fugitive" was terrible wasn't it? I'm sure Tommy Lee Jones would agree. I mean it only accelerated his career a little bit... Bladerunner anyone?

Anyways, the point is that it all depends on how established a career is before it hits a big series as to how it will effect a career. Some it can help, but others it will hurt. Also, their role can be key. Look at Mark Hamill vs. Harrison Ford. Hamill was THE main character in the original Star Wars, forever typecasting him. Harrison Ford had a lesser role which allowed him to break out if he could and he did.

Hamill was THE main character in the original Star Wars, forever typecasting him. Harrison Ford had a lesser role which allowed him to break out if he could and he did.

Mark Hamill was not typecast. His career in Hollywood stalled because he got into a car accident that scarred his face. The bacta tank scene in TESB? Those are his real scars. Unfortunately, as young as he was, those scars ruined his boyish good looks. However, I think he is probably doing okay, what with being the Joker and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back