• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Super Six boxing tournament(s)

Ferbian

Has Returned.
With the Super Middle-weight Super Six Classics going on at the moment, I had a thought, seeing as the "hosts" of the Danish pre-show for Mikkel Kessler vs Carl Froch said that this match was thrown on Pay Per View purely for the fact that it would cost a lot to setup, but ultimately it would earn in a fair deal of money for the people involved.

So it had me thinking: Should the boxing world present more of these tournaments, for different weight classes, or new participants in the specific weight classes all depending on "Who's the top dog around now"

Seeing as the success of the current Super Six tournament, I think it could prove to be a way of making boxing more exposed again all around the world (seeing as Mikkel Kessler is the only boxer who's mainstream in Denmark for example) and it would prove incredibly profitable.
Plus, while it will ultimately end peoples "undefeated streak" at least for the majority of them, I still think it will prove to be a way for all the boxers of the different weight classes to properly prove themselves rather than fighting no name contenders for their titles, or fighting no name boxers just for the sake of boxing (I'm not saying they're completely no name, but they're nothing compared to the actual boxer who would be put into the Super Six tournament)

What do you think? should this be the only Super Six we ever encounter, or encounter in the nearest future, or should Super Six tournaments be a regular thing to introduce to the boxing fans and those who's looking to get into boxing as a proper fan?

Yeah, there definitely should be.

If you can get one or two names from a division to participate in a tournament like this, then you HAVE to do it. Not only is it a way to keep them busy and challenged, but it will make people watch and then make the lesser known fighters in the tournament more known to casual fans. For example, I didn't know who Andre Dirrell was before this tournament, and now I do. Do I like him? No, but I will watch his fights from now on (in hoping to see him get his ass kicked, lol). And I'm sure there are PLENTY of guys you could do that with in the Light Heavyweight, Welterweight, Lightweight, Bantamweight, and Featherweight divisions. Heavyweights are out of the question, but every other division I feel would have a very successful tournament where new stars would be made.

This was a great idea for the Middleweight division, and it'll undoubtedly be a great idea for other divisions as well. Showtime and HBO both should DEFINITELY continue the concept with other divisions in the future.

If you can get one or two names from a division to participate in a tournament like this, then you HAVE to do it. Not only is it a way to keep them busy and challenged, but it will make people watch and then make the lesser known fighters in the tournament more known to casual fans. For example, I didn't know who Andre Dirrell was before this tournament, and now I do.

This is exactly what I mean, having two "world renown" people to fight in a tournament, a champion or two of the weight classes as well (just like the super six currently has) and it will eventually prove to be putting people out on the marked to become more world renown alongside the two there's already in it.

I have to admit I only knew of Mikkel Kessler before the Super Six, and the matches not involving him isn't as widely shown in Denmark, but having looked at it, and some of the highlights from the pre-show to Mikkel Kessler vs Froch had me learning more about all the guys, and I have to admit I'm growing to like them, while I was the nationalistic guy who's all like "FUCKING KILL HIM KESSLER" I still liked Carl Froch a lot, and while him winning more will prove to eventually kill off Mikkel Kessler's possibilities of advancing (at least from the look of it) I still hope he'll do good in this tournament, I can definitely see him going places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back