• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Super Bowl XLVI

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
We began the season with 32 teams all having either legitimate or distant hope at a shot for the Super Bowl. After 4 months and 17 weeks of games, the 20 pretenders were thrown in the garbage and we were brought the real cream of the crop with the 12 playoff teams. Soon, the 12 became 8, then 4, and now finally 2. The final game of the NFL season kicks off later today, and it looks to be a doozy of a game. Here we are with Super Bowl XLVI...

ny-giants-authentic.jpg
VS.
ne-patriots-authentic.jpg
Where: Lucas Oil Stadium
When: 6:30 ET, NBC
Halftime Show: Madonna
Line: Patriots -2.5

Let's first begin with the NFC Champion, the New York Giants. Lead by coach Tom Coughlin and QB Eli Manning, the Giants began their season like a typical Giants season we've seen in the past - start off hot against a weak early schedule (6-2), have a rough stretch of games against tough opponents (lose 4 in a row), then either have a stretch run that will make or break their season (won 3 of last 4).

This years Giants team bares many similarities to the team that ended the Patriots perfect season 4 years ago. They have a talented pass rush with JPP, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, etc., Eli Manning is having a great postseason run, they beat the Packers in GB to knock off the #1 seed, and they made it to the Super Bowl on a game winning FG in Overtime by Lawrence Tynes. Many of the similarities are uncanny. However, this team has some noticable differences. Mainly, the emergence as a pass first team with an ineffective run game. Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz became the first pair of Giants to gain 1,000 receiving yards. Mario Manningham and Jake Ballard are threats as well.

As for the Patriots, after having rough postseasons of one and dones the past 2 years they got back on the right track by ending the run of Tebow and slaughtering of the Broncos in the Divisional Round, followed by a handful of fortunate plays that allowed them to beat the Ravens in the AFC Championship game by a FG. After a few seasons of disappointing results, the Patriots are back where many always expect them to be - playing in the last game of the season.

While this is the 5th Belichick/Brady team to make the Super Bowl, it's most definitely the outlier of the group, heading a defense that was ranked 31st in total yards allowed but having an offense that was Top 5 in main offensive categories. Tom Brady had another fantastic season and we saw the emergence of TE Rob Gronkowski, who set the record for most TDs by a TE. Wes Welker put up over 120 receptions, and Aaron Hernandez and Deion Branch had solid seasons as well.

Needless to say, this is a matchup that has nobody confident on one side or the other. I counted the ESPN expert picks, and the disparity was about 39-32 Giants or the like, on SI it was 5-1 Patriots, and on NFL.com it was 12-7 Giants. This I believe is one of the more evenly matched Super Bowls we've seen recently since both teams have very noticeable flaws that could be their downfall.

Who's Hurting: Giants - RB Ahmad Bradshaw, WR Hakeem Nicks (probable)
Patriots - WR Wes Welker, TE Rob Gronkowski (questionable), WR Deion Branch, S James Ihedigbo (probable)

Prediction: I've been struggling with this pick over the last 2 weeks. You could give me arguments as to why either team will win and I'd completely understand. This game will be a better game then their last SB, although probably not as memorable due to no helmet catch. The Pats will counter the G-Men's pass rush with under routes to Welker and a good run game with Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis. Eli will have a solid game himself, but I'm thinking Tom Brady is gonna shake off his bad game 2 weeks ago (and his last 2 bad outings against NYG) and deliver a performance that is quite memorable. Patriots 28, Giants 24. MVP - Tom Brady

Enjoy Super Sunday everyone, I know I will.

I won't be here, going to watch over at a friends, while eating lots of good food.

Giants-23
Pats-20

I just can't see the Pats losing to the same team three times in a row. Going with New England at this point.

My first Superbowl ever. I'm excited. Not that I'll have the foggiest about what's going on but, the team with the highest amount of points wins, no? That's easy enough to follow. LETS GO TEBOW! He's not playing is he? LETS GO MAGIC JOHNSON!

Christian "Minimum Wage" Cage;3698900 said:
My first Superbowl ever. I'm excited. Not that I'll have the foggiest about what's going on but, the team with the highest amount of points wins, no? That's easy enough to follow. LETS GO TEBOW! He's not playing is he? LETS GO MAGIC JOHNSON!

Don't worry about it, Rohan, we're all well used to you posting in threads on here without having the foggiest idea what's going on :)

Just kidding. But if you're really unsure, let me summarize it for you in one word.

Patriots!

Best part about this game- They're gonna be premiering the new Avengers trailer, more excited for that than anything!

Ugh... Madonna:disappointed:

Other than Ray of Light I don't see her music working at all in a football environment. Her music isn't masculine, rocking or have the party quality that a football audience has come to expect.

I don't think any of the following songs would really work:

- Like a Virgin
- Bordeline
- Holiday (maybe)
- Remember
- Material Girl
- Vogue
- Express Yourself (maybe)

What am I forgetting? What do you think she will play? Is she going to be joined by other musicians? Did all this stuff already get announced and I am speculating on shit everyone already knows? Will she adopt Osi Amenyoura and make Victor Cruz he sex slave? ;)

I think I'll be out of the room during her shit performance, probably going to the bathroom & then heading toward the kitchen for more food & drink.

Halftime shows like the one they have planned for tonight make me miss Halftime Heat.

I heard Nicki Minaj is gonna be preforming with Madonna tonight during the half-time show. I don't know how but they actually made the half-time worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back