• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sting in WWE HOF a good idea?

Sting definitely belongs in the WWE Hall of Fame. Even if you ignore his NWA/WCW career (which WWE never has in their HoF) and if he never wrestles in a WWE ring, you could still say: a) WWE owns WCW and all of his match catalogue during his time there, so they essentially own his career b) He also main evented the last Nitro which was simulcast with RAW, c) He is a character in their video games. But he definitely will be inducted into the Hall of Fame. If maybe for his contributions to the Monday Night Wars alone, which WWE loves to remind us that they won. And they'll make a lot of money with a DVD of his career. Hell, they could even induct him just for being the most successful wrestler to never wrestle in a WWF/E ring.

Sting definitely belongs in the WWE Hall of Fame. Even if you ignore his NWA/WCW career (which WWE never has in their HoF) and if he never wrestles in a WWE ring, you could still say: a) WWE owns WCW and all of his match catalogue during his time there, so they essentially own his career b) He also main evented the last Nitro which was simulcast with RAW, c) He is a character in their video games. But he definitely will be inducted into the Hall of Fame. If maybe for his contributions to the Monday Night Wars alone, which WWE loves to remind us that they won. And they'll make a lot of money with a DVD of his career. Hell, they could even induct him just for being the most successful wrestler to never wrestle in a WWF/E ring.
Could NOT agree with you anymore. You are so correct on this.
Plus, I can see Sting doing a match and then some apperances for WWE.

I would say it's dumb. He never wrestled for WWE.

But given that Sting is one of the biggest wrestling stars ever, and his company went under.....he deserves to be recognized.

The problem is there should be a LEGIT Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame that actually has clout. There isn't. The WWE is now bigger than the wrestling industry, is the only wrestling organization that matters, and while it's Hall of Fame isn't a legit one, it's really the only wrestling hall of fame that anyone cares about.

So....it's not perfect, but induct him!

Nick Bockwinkel is in and the only thing he ever did in the WWF was as a road agent. For better or worse the WWE owns the AWA's history just as it does JCP/WCW's.

Yes I think Sting should and will go into the WWE Hall of Fame.
Plenty of WCW guys are in the Hall of Fame. Booker T, Hogan, Flair are good examples.
I think first Sting needs to give atleast 1 show stopping match and then I'd put him in the Hall of fame.

Like Mudlup50 said, all of the people you mentioned actually did wrestle for the WWE for and achieved great success doing it. Sure they could use his WCW record as the reason. Completely disregarding the fact that he didn't wrestle for them when the WWE bought it.

But it really doesn't matter. If non wrestling celebrities like Mr. T and his mother can make it in, then Sting is a shoe in.

I have no issue with him being inducted into the HOF however I would like him to have a run in WWE to validate it with the majority of fans or younger viewers who don't know him from his WCW days.

Sting doesn't deserve it.

He's not a WWE legend, never stepped in a WWE ring.

Sting was only good in WCW with NWO angle, nothing more.

He's pretty much a nobody in wwe terms. I didn't like him either.

Sting doesn't deserve it.

He's not a WWE legend, never stepped in a WWE ring.

Sting was only good in WCW with NWO angle, nothing more.

He's pretty much a nobody in wwe terms. I didn't like him either.

Incorrect. Sting's feuds with Ric Flair were very good. He had some good feuds/matches with Vader too. There's a reason Sting was such a big deal to even be a part of that NWO angle. He had grown a bit stale as a character and wrestler and the changing of his gimmick and persona really rejuvenated him. But to act like he was NEVER good before that is flat out incorrect and dishonest.

The "he never wrestled in WWE" argument is invalid because as a few people have stated there are already people in the HOF who never wrestled for WWE.

Sting was much better and more popular than a guy like Abdullah The Butcher.

"Surfer" Sting and "Crow" Sting were both incredibly popular in their times and Sting is still held in high regard all these years later. I know Wolfpac Sting doesn't really hold up anymore and TNA Sting can go either way. It doesn't change the fact that Sting pulled off two totally different characters in the same company while still being extremely popular.

I don't see people making infinity threads about wanting to see Abullah The Butcher in a match against The Undertaker or anyone else for that matter.

There is no reason he shouldn't go in.

The "he never wrestled in WWE" argument is invalid because as a few people have stated there are already people in the HOF who never wrestled for WWE.

Sting was much better and more popular than a guy like Abdullah The Butcher.

"Surfer" Sting and "Crow" Sting were both incredibly popular in their times and Sting is still held in high regard all these years later. I know Wolfpac Sting doesn't really hold up anymore and TNA Sting can go either way. It doesn't change the fact that Sting pulled off two totally different characters in the same company while still being extremely popular.

I don't see people making infinity threads about wanting to see Abullah The Butcher in a match against The Undertaker or anyone else for that matter.

There is no reason he shouldn't go in.

Given how much of the historical territories the WWE actually owns now (AWA, most of the important NWA territories including but not limited to JCP/WCW/Mid-Atlantic, World Class, Georgia, Florida, St. Louis, Mid-South, Memphis) the WWE HOF is the de facto pro wrestling HOF whether the WWF/E marks like it or not.

But sting wasn't working for wcw when wwe bought it. That's like people saying aj styles should go into the wwe hof. He's never worked for wwe so it makes no sense

You OBVIOSULY have no idea what the WWE HOF is, you act like it's a WWE Only or Vince McMahon only HOF. Nick Bockwinkle is in the WWE HOF, for an entire career he had IN THE AWA. Granted, Bockwinkle was great and was a multi time World Champ, just not in WWE.

Abdullah The Butcher was one of the most memorable villains in 70s & 80s wrestling...In The NWA, In the AWA, In World Class...In Puerto Rico, NEVER in WWE.

The Four Horsemen are considered the original cool heel group, the first villain "Super Group" in wrestling, the fore runner to the NWO and the all time legendary heel faction that The Bobby Heenan Family, The Dangerous Alliance, The NWO, Evolution, The Corporation, etc were based on. They are in the WWE HOF. They never wrestled a single match in WWE.

Several wrestlers were inducted who had a cup of coffee in WWE, often doing very little of distinction, while having legendary careers elsewhere. Dusty Rhodes is a prime example.

The entered The Rock's grandmother for her work as a promoter....In Hawaii, not at all affiliated with WWE.

The Von Erich Family were legends....In World Class, they never appeared in WWE.

Ric Flair had a nice 1992 in WWE. He was the second biggest star in all of US wrestling in the 1980s....for THE NWA. What do you think got him inducted into the HOF, WrestleMania VIII or ten years of Starrcades, Great American Bashes, and title defenses all over the US, Japan, South America, Belgium, New Zealand, etc...defenses of the NWA Title ?

WWE runs a HOF for all of American Pro Wrestling, and have continually honored the legends of the industry, even those like The Von Erichs & Bockwinkle who did absolutely nothing for WWE itself but were major players for many years in the industry as a whole.

Sting CERTAINLY would qualify, regardless of whether he ever steps into a WWE ring.

You OBVIOSULY have no idea what the WWE HOF is, you act like it's a WWE Only or Vince McMahon only HOF. Nick Bockwinkle is in the WWE HOF, for an entire career he had IN THE AWA. Granted, Bockwinkle was great and was a multi time World Champ, just not in WWE.

Abdullah The Butcher was one of the most memorable villains in 70s & 80s wrestling...In The NWA, In the AWA, In World Class...In Puerto Rico, NEVER in WWE.

The Four Horsemen are considered the original cool heel group, the first villain "Super Group" in wrestling, the fore runner to the NWO and the all time legendary heel faction that The Bobby Heenan Family, The Dangerous Alliance, The NWO, Evolution, The Corporation, etc were based on. They are in the WWE HOF. They never wrestled a single match in WWE.

Several wrestlers were inducted who had a cup of coffee in WWE, often doing very little of distinction, while having legendary careers elsewhere. Dusty Rhodes is a prime example.

The entered The Rock's grandmother for her work as a promoter....In Hawaii, not at all affiliated with WWE.

The Von Erich Family were legends....In World Class, they never appeared in WWE.

Ric Flair had a nice 1992 in WWE. He was the second biggest star in all of US wrestling in the 1980s....for THE NWA. What do you think got him inducted into the HOF, WrestleMania VIII or ten years of Starrcades, Great American Bashes, and title defenses all over the US, Japan, South America, Belgium, New Zealand, etc...defenses of the NWA Title ?

WWE runs a HOF for all of American Pro Wrestling, and have continually honored the legends of the industry, even those like The Von Erichs & Bockwinkle who did absolutely nothing for WWE itself but were major players for many years in the industry as a whole.

Sting CERTAINLY would qualify, regardless of whether he ever steps into a WWE ring.

Exactly. Just one quibble: The Heenan family wasn't a Vince creation. It started in the AWA back in the '70s and into the '80s so it predates the Horseman. And Bockwinkel was a charter member of it along with his tag partner Ray Stevens :)

Exactly. Just one quibble: The Heenan family wasn't a Vince creation. It started in the AWA back in the '70s and into the '80s so it predates the Horseman. And Bockwinkel was a charter member of it along with his tag partner Ray Stevens :)

I stand corrected. While I believe the WWE idea of The Heenan Family as large, mega heel stable was their defacto version of JJ Dillon & The Horsemen, many fans forget Heenan actually was a big part of the AWA for several years, doing basically the same character and routine as in WWE. His AWA "Heenan Family" probably never got the credit it was due in comparison to his WWE versions or The Horsemen or later factions such as The NwO or Evolution, etc, but they were the dominant heels of the company, Ray Stevens was one of the best heels in the business in the 70s and while 80s fans may have memories of Bockwinkle as the "elder stateman" good guy during his last big run in the AWA circa 86-87 and his battles with Stan Hansen, Larry Zybusko, & Curt Henning, most of his career he was a nasty villain as well, one of the industry's best at the time.

I stand corrected. While I believe the WWE idea of The Heenan Family as large, mega heel stable was their defacto version of JJ Dillon & The Horsemen, many fans forget Heenan actually was a big part of the AWA for several years, doing basically the same character and routine as in WWE. His AWA "Heenan Family" probably never got the credit it was due in comparison to his WWE versions or The Horsemen or later factions such as The NwO or Evolution, etc, but they were the dominant heels of the company, Ray Stevens was one of the best heels in the business in the 70s and while 80s fans may have memories of Bockwinkle as the "elder stateman" good guy during his last big run in the AWA circa 86-87 and his battles with Stan Hansen, Larry Zybusko, & Curt Henning, most of his career he was a nasty villain as well, one of the industry's best at the time.

The contrast between Heenan and Bockwinkel in their promos was worth the price of admission :worship:

Why not put Sting in HOF, everyone else is in there, I can see it now HOF 2015 inductees;
Sting, Raven, justin credible, el torito, david beckham, the rocks eyebrow and the cast of big bang theory.

WWE HOF is a joke its prestige and importance went out the window years ago and inducting drew carey proves my point

Why Sting would want to join this ludicrous fraternity is beyond me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back