Has Sting Come Up Short on Letting His Time in Wrestling Live on Forever?

Here are some very important points about Sting:

- If the rumors are true, Sting signed a one-year deal with TNA. (I hope that's not a spoiler) That means that by this time next year, Sting will once again be a free agent. What if Sting wanted to wait for a year where he'll get some real recognition? Think about it: this year Shawn Michaels is being inducted. There are a lot of classy icons that will be inducted this year but Shawn will be the biggest by far. Why go in this year when next year (or even 2013) he could be the marquee guy? I know it's in Atlanta where WCW's headquarters was but with he can do one more year in TNA to give them time for a big send-off (if they felt so inclined) then face The Undertaker at WM 28 for match #20 (yes, I am a WWE mark in addition to TNA so insult me all you want) and have a one-year legends contract for 2012-2013.

- For those worried about his age, remember that Flair can still work a decent match at 60+, and Sting is actually in much better shape. He always has been and while he wants to work the lighter schedule, I think Sting could easily go another 2-3 years. Point is, he'll decide when he's done.

-The WWE owns all of his old-school footage from WCW, so any tribute DVDs the WWE puts out won't include Sting until he's out of TNA. I don't even think he'd need to sign with the WWE as a talent; he'd just need to be not signed with TNA, which makes sense due to contractual obligations. As much as some people hate, despise, or loathe the WWE, you have to admit the WWE does a great job with creating DVDs and shows from their archives for legends in this business, and not just the ones that were in the WWE. It's obvious Sting doesn't need the money; but the legacy that he has created should be immortalized, and even the fans who have no idea who Sting was and what he was all about would be curious and interested in just how great he was. Plus, he could be included in the action figure line as well. Small crap, I know, but it's part of the package.

- The WWE Hall of Fame isn't the only Hall of Fame, but it's the biggest one on the biggest stage. Sure, he could be on the NWA Hall of Fame, but why should he simply alienate the WWE for whatever reason? Even if he wanted to be the only big name icon to never be in the WWE, where does that leave him? What does that accomplish? When Sting is dead and buried, will the legacy he leaves be "Hey, Sting never signed with the WWE for X reason?"

- Going to the WWE is the last thing left for him to do. Why not spend just one year there? Would one year destroy Sting? Would one year kill TNA? Sting has done everything he can for TNA. He has gone through regime changes and different storylines, he's been the focal point of storylines both as the top face and as the top heel, he's put over many young wrestlers, and he's been a multiple-time World Champion. What's left for him to do besides retire? Do you really think he would not win at least the World Heavyweight Championship once?

- Last thing: let's put this offensive WWE crap to rest. The WWE has been a PG show for years, so Sting being offended by the WWE's content now is ridiculous. The character butchering is a legit concern, but by this point in his career, how is it different between putting over Alberto Del Rio or Jeff Hardy? I just can't see McMahon or even HHH (who is so close to running things anyway) killing Sting's character after spending so long trying to sign him. Even if things went bad, it'd be like Goldberg: though he had strange moments of interaction, Goldberg was still a dominant force in the WWE in his one year in. It'd take a lot of crushing for Sting's character to be so irrevocably ruined in the WWE at this point.

When he said no due to possibly having his character butchered by Vince that was back in the early 2000's. Now I think it's because TNA only tapes a couple times a month so he only has to work a few days out of a month and I doubt WWE can offer him that. His knees aren't in that great a shape so the less he has to work the better for his health.

Is it me or is everybody's more concerned about Sting joining the WWE than Sting is. Listen to me, STING DOES NOT WANT TO SIGN WITH THE WWE. If he wanted to, he would have signed a long time ago. Also, what makes you think that the WWE wants Sting at this stage of his career. As far as the Hall of Fame, it is Vince McMahon's decision whether or not he will induct Sting into his Hall of Fame. Let put the rumor to rest about Sting's relationship with Vince McMahon. Sting has no problem with Vince and Vince has no problem with Sting. In fact, Sting had said Vince has been very good to him. They had discussions about Sting joining WWE, but things didn't work out. Sting wants to travel less and be home with his family more often. The WWE's schedule doesn't allowed him to do so, but TNA's does. I don't really see what's so prestige about the WWE today. All they have is John Cena, the Miz, Sheamus, and the soon to be retiring Triple H and Undertaker.

Does it really matter, the WWE hof is really the Vince Mcmahon hall of fame. It is not and will not be a real wrestling hall of fame since it doesn't go on talent but more by who will show up to accept their ring.

Until there is a sold Hall of Fame where people can go like the other sports have and until it's up to someone else besides one man to decide who does and does not get in it's a joke. You put in guys like Jim Dugan while ignoring people like Macho Man really?

IF they wanted to make it legit they would open a REAL hof and instead of letting vince make the choices let the people who are in the HOF vote on who should join them. Let the guys who put the boots on and wrestled 200+ times a year vote for who they think should be in.

No, because his time in wrestling will live in forever, regardless of whether or not the Monopoly Man and his incredibly boring Connecticut product just so happen to now own the vault containing his history in WCW, and that is certainly no (non self-serving) reason for Sting to sign with WWE simply to appease some notion of joining a Hall of Fame he has no business being in seeing as it's the WWE Hall of Fame—a hall dedicated to WWE superstars, despite the fact that it has inducted non-WWE stars in the past—just so he can also have a DVD put out in his honor.

There's something to be said of the loyalty and honor a performer like that has when he still refuses to join the ranks of Vince's brigade after all these years and still holds true to his convictions.

Viva la Sting. Viva la loyalty!

If anything, I think Sting not signing with the WWE enhances his legacy. How many guys can say they are an icon and mega star in the wrestling business having never competed for the WWE? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. Sting doesn't need to be in the WWE Hall of Fame to be recognised as a legend of the business. Would Hulk Hogan be less of a wrestling legend if he had never been inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame? Is Coco B Ware more of a legend because he has been inducted?

This is so untrue that it is almost laughable. Just because the things he's done in places like TNA and WCW didn't take place in the godly "WWF/E" it doesn't mean that he didn't do anything with his career. Even the biggest WWE fans know who Sting is and for some reason or another, everyone remembers him. I honestly don't think he needs a spot in the Hall of Fame because he'll never be forgotten or lost in the minds of wrestling fans, and I think his days in TNA has just solidified that. When he does decide the time is right, he'll hang up the boots for good and he'll have an admirable exit and he'll forever be remembered in the minds of the older fans and the newer ones who happened to take to TNA. I know it's been vaguely said before but there are others who haven't been inducted or who never will, yet I'm sure people will remember them all for as long as their minds will let them. An HOF spot doesn't make you a great wrestler, it is what you do in the ring that does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back