Sting Clown Persona Finished? How Did You Take It?

Smiter

Dark Match Jobber
I didnt watch impact much recently but saw sting in crow gimmick,so is the clown done with after achieving what he wanted...hulk's face turn.?
And how did you take the insane icon?

Yes, and it was really a joke, to me. It was ******ed at times and had me shaking my head. I'm glad hes back the way he was in his greatness.

Well, just wait until next month. It's TOKYO DRIFT STING!

I always had a hard time swallowing Crow Sting. The character wasn't bad, but everytime I saw Sting, I saw Brandon Lee instead. Everytime I saw Joker Sting, I just shook my head and said "really?" The former is better than the latter, so it's an improvement. Crow Sting resonates better with fans than any other Sting, so fuck it. If we're going to have Sting, we might as well have the Sting people liked best.

I agree that it"s nice to see the "crow" Sting. I think the other issue was the "heat" generated because the Joker gimmick was already used by inde wrestlers Krimson(sorry about the spelling) and Chance Prophet. Both of whom, do a much better use of the "Joker" persona.

the joker sting was awful. i didn't care that he may or may have not ripped it off another wrestler. that part never bugged me since wrestlers rip off others all the time.

but he just didn't have the persona to make it believable. it felt forced and he didn't seem comfortable with it after awhile.

personally, i'd like sting's next gimmick to be nothing. no face paint, etc. he's been behind face paint for so long, i'd like to see his last days as himself.

It was different, but it was a GIMMICK!

People are always saying that they wished their were more gimmicks around. If this happened with someone in WWE, people wouldn't hate as much.

I didnt watch impact much recently but saw sting in crow gimmick,so is the clown done with after achieving what he wanted...hulk's face turn.?
And how did you take the insane icon?

The clown gimmick was a really bad idea and it was very poorly executed. And truthfully, they didn't need that to sell the Sting v. Hogan angle. What they could have done is delve deeper into their professional pasts and bring the new fans up to speed and the longtime fans a recap of how we got to this point. What they thought was that they could rip off the joker character from the Batman movie, hopefully bringing in that younger generation that's into those kinds of movies and movie characters.

I for one am glad that one is over.

I liked it. It gave Sting a chance to let loose, update his facepaint and have fun with a character. I'm glad it was short term because the schtick got old, but it worked for the storyline. In my eyes paying homage to a classic character is a part of wrestling and perfectly welcome. It helped place Sting in 2011, I'm sure young fans loved the act.

I loved it. You got to see the emotions inside of Sting and his love for this business played out through that character.

He really seemed to resurrect himself over that feud.. I thought he shoulda been done after his match with Styles, but he has proved me wrong with that gimmick. It worked. And it was the best thing Sting has done since coming to TNA.

Fuck the haters. Your hate... drives my praise.

Criticism of the character doesn't mean anyone hates Sting. Fact is, I've been a big fan of his since his very early days in the NWA/WCW. I just happen to think the character/gimmick wasn't really needed and thought it was a bit over the top, even for wrestling.

I Really enjoyed it, people was saying he ripped off the joker, but at first he wasn't but he kept getting accused of it and he just decided what the hell, might as well paint my face like the joker if i'm getting accused of it!

I Think it suited him and was refreshing. I Really was digging the red suite and the face pant and he should ware that every tna impact taping for the role he's playing.

i thought it was horrible and it looked like a mix of beetle juice/jim carrey more than the joker so if he never comes out like that again it would be fine by me

I find it weird that when Sting debuted as The Crow in 1996 it was already a couple of years out of date and then in 2011 he's the Joker which was also a couple of years out of date and the hype for the character had really died down. I couldn't get hyped up for Joker Sting. I would love to see one more run as the Sting of the early 90's. That character was the first I really went for as a kid.

Sting as the Joker character was from the most recent Batman movie. I didn't see that Batman movie so it's hard to me to comment on how he did in that character.

I think the best Sting gimmick recently was actually not even done by Sting. I liked the Sting character that Anderson did there for a short time mocking Sting. he looked so much like the old Sting from early in WCW/NWA.

now that Sting is the guy in charge on Impact, I like the way he is now. not wearing any face paint. it's easier to take him seriously now with him being more serious.

I enjoyed Joker Sting. Thought it's very refreshing even though he was basically the old Sting with funny face paint on in week 4 of the transformation. It seemed like Sting was having a hoot with it, the fans loved it and it added another layer to the storyline regardless of what the almighty critics say.

Sting showing up without his face paint in his new role is a very smart move and I for one hope he sticks with it. It makes you take him more seriously as a GM or whatever they call him. His face paint is symbolic with in-ring action whether it be a promo or a match. This is a good change. Plus, he couldn't be Joker Sting forever. He needs to rever to Crow Sting eventually and this will allow him to drift away from the clown and eventually go back to the black and white face paint.

Let's put it this way; he was my favorite thing in wrestling for a good month or so. The reasons are plenty. It gave me faith in an Icon in the business in Sting, that he was more than just the man with the perfect gimmick. It always seems funny that the man who will probably be best remembered for not speaking is one of the best active speakers still walking.

It also opened up a new perspective to me. Kurt Angle is over the 40 margin, HHH is well into his and The Undertaker is closer to 50 than otherwise. All men deliver big now, but an evaluation of their work will tell you it is far from the prime of their careers. You throw all of the great matches you want from any such man and you'll have an impressive body of work. But all three are comparatively less well-versed in their mic work than we may have been used to a half-decade, or more, ago.

Sting was as good as I'd ever heard him at the not-so-tender age of 52. I'll go and find you what I mean:

[YOUTUBE]A7w_pE62kZo[/YOUTUBE]

Now you may be thinking, Sting barely managed to squeeze a reaction of just over a thousand people, what's your point? Re-evaluate. This is the iMPACT zone. Assembled here on a weekly basis are a collaboration of the most nonchalant, brain-dead, dull, lifeless, hand-warming zombies you'll ever have the misfortune to witness. As I've mentioned, that is a post-50 Sting. He is trying to hype a match between himself and Hulk Hogan, both epicly lying beyond the prime of their careers and abilities. Now re-watch that video. That's a pretty big pop eh? What I believe you're watching is nothing short of a minor miracle. It made me step back and completely re-evaluate my attitude to older guys performing. Whereas previously I was at 'OLDER THAN 40! FIRE 'EM!! GET 'EM GONE'. It made me understand that it's difficult to put an age limit on talent, the talent that Sting has and always has had in spades. Whilst other older guys have faltered in their ability to excite when it comes to talking, he's not aged a bit on the stick and for that I regard him as someone I respect reverently in the business because of the hope he gave me.

What Sting did was take a classic idea for a gimmick, put a twist on it, made it fresh, made it new and most importantly, made it work. He was probably the MOST over face in all of TNA for a while and that was no mistake, he deserved to have that spot.

But I think the biggest success story of the whole affair is watching how a man, who's been performing the same role (albeit, not on a consistent basis) for well over a decade be able to successfully re-invent themselves when called to. Sting could have tapered out into the sunset, fizzled in the gas mark 5 oven that is the remainder of his career. He took it upon himself to do something different and he made it work. It gave me a great deal of joy and hope at the ability of others to succeed in the same way. To say I enjoyed it would really underplay my emotions. I loved it.

But to add to all of that, I second Z_Z. I think removing him from that gimmick now is the right idea. He doesn't need to be drawing loads of attention to himself anymore, he's there to help the other guys and it'll be hard to do that successfully as Joker Sting. He's one thing in a perfectionist's mind that has played out just dandy, no hitches, for his duration.

i find it ironic that Sting has no face paint on, and it`s now Hallowean, anyway i thought the joker persona was very funny. Sting played this new charactor well. I know theres been the crow sting, nwo sting, but my fave sting ever has got to be the red and black and white, tna sting!

Joker Sting was seriously WrestleCrap worthy as soon as it happened. The fact that they kept pushing that Sting was "crazy" and "lost his mind," but all they ever did was have him SAY it. "Oh boy, I came out and fell on my face! I sure am nuts!!" There was nothing displayed in his matches or his promos that fit the character they were trying to put over. Seeing a 52 year old man put himself through such a ridiculous, campy gimmick was cringe-worthy too, only topped by seeing Flair blade himself anytime a camera is on him or Hogan wrestle a match in 2011.

There's a great picture of Sting & Hogan in the ring from an episode of Impact prior to their match, captioned with "Can't Tell If I'm Watching TNA Impact 2011 or WCW Nitro 2000." The really sums up the whole gimmick and fued going into Bound For Glory. Badly replicating things done a decade ago in a failing company.

Here's what I don't understand. So we were supposed to 'believe' if you will, that he was nuts! Then we were supposed to 'believe' that it was all an act to get Hogan back in the ring for 'one more match' to put the company back in the hands of Dixie Carter. THEN, the predictable Hogan face turn post-match (which was the worst kept secret heading into BFG along with the fact that Hogan was going to job to Sting!)

Then Dixie puts Sting in charge of the company, Hogan is now in a feud with Bischoff and Immortal, Hogan says Roode isn't ready, Storm wins the title....whew! Wow! Talk about a mish-mash mess.

Again, they could have gotten to the same point and drawn much more heat for the match and PPV by going back over their history, which had far more intrigue than having Sting 'act' like he was bonkers!

But this is TNA isn't it? Turn everything upside down and see what falls out!

It seemed like Sting was having a hoot with it, the fans loved it and it added another layer to the storyline regardless of what the almighty critics say.

This is what made me enjoy the recent "Joker" gimmick: the fact that Sting seemed to really be enjoying himself the whole time. I also appreciate the fact that it was a take on Sting that was a drastic departure from his previous work, where he was mostly quiet and kinda sad looking. This was Sting's chance to play a colorful, likeable character, and I feel he did a pretty damn good job at it. Say what you will about it being a ripoff (as are most things in wrestling), but it was entertaining regardless.

Personally, I really loved the Crazy Sting gimmick. I loved it from the very beginning and am now sad to see that it's seemingly over with. But, it's also good, cause maybe we will see Sting reinvent himself once again. Which is not only an awesome thing that a man at his age can change it up like he does all the time, but it's also a necessity.

Joker Sting was seriously WrestleCrap worthy as soon as it happened. The fact that they kept pushing that Sting was "crazy" and "lost his mind," but all they ever did was have him SAY it. "Oh boy, I came out and fell on my face! I sure am nuts!!" There was nothing displayed in his matches or his promos that fit the character they were trying to put over. Seeing a 52 year old man put himself through such a ridiculous, campy gimmick was cringe-worthy too, only topped by seeing Flair blade himself anytime a camera is on him or Hogan wrestle a match in 2011.

There's a great picture of Sting & Hogan in the ring from an episode of Impact prior to their match, captioned with "Can't Tell If I'm Watching TNA Impact 2011 or WCW Nitro 2000." The really sums up the whole gimmick and fued going into Bound For Glory. Badly replicating things done a decade ago in a failing company.

Spoken as a true WWE mark... Go give some more oral to the Miz.

Hey dumbass... did you know that WCW Nitro was routinely doing 4.0-5.0 cable ratings for the first part of the year 2000? Wouldn't it be great if Raw could do numbers like that? To compare WCW to TNA is so unbelievable! WCW was a successful company that almost put WWE out of business. TNA is an upstart company that is trying to become a major player in the business. You are a COMPLETE TOOL for thinking that TNA is anywhere near the level that WCW was. Then again, the only thing that you know about WCW is what is on the Rise and Fall of WCW dvd that Vince put out.

Joker Sting was enjoyable. Sting played the part well, and you can tell that he loves Impact Wrestling and wants to help contribute. He didn't have to play that gimmick; he chose to. Very impressive for a true legend to do something like that.

you guys just prove that iwc is out of touch w what's making money and what's not everytime you post.

joker sting is way over and in my mind the best thing in wrestling right now. even hulk said the carrier sting gets the more over he gets. i don't expect joker sting to be gone yet

Spoken as a true WWE mark... Go give some more oral to the Miz.

Hey dumbass... did you know that WCW Nitro was routinely doing 4.0-5.0 cable ratings for the first part of the year 2000? Wouldn't it be great if Raw could do numbers like that? To compare WCW to TNA is so unbelievable! WCW was a successful company that almost put WWE out of business. TNA is an upstart company that is trying to become a major player in the business. You are a COMPLETE TOOL for thinking that TNA is anywhere near the level that WCW was. Then again, the only thing that you know about WCW is what is on the Rise and Fall of WCW dvd that Vince put out.

Joker Sting was enjoyable. Sting played the part well, and you can tell that he loves Impact Wrestling and wants to help contribute. He didn't have to play that gimmick; he chose to. Very impressive for a true legend to do something like that.

You know nothing about me, yet from my personal opinion (which this thread asked for) on the Joker Sting gimmick, you were able to discern that I am an alleged WWE mark, know nothing about WCW and a "dumbass." Obviously you don't have any hostility issues. But if you wanna talk about TNA's quality, I'll go...

Your ratings argument is pretty null & void considering wrestling was at an all time high in popularity, regardless of brand, in the late 90s, numbers that either company WISH they could have for one night today. Hell, ECW was running one to two televised shows a month back then and getting the ratings of an episode of Raw today. Things change. That's business. But as it stands right now, TNA is left languishing right under the 1.0 mark because they don't do anything but non-stop, non-psychology booking with a change of mind made every week, on top of having to deal with their former head-writer trying to revive things he thought worked ten years ago (that failed then and now).

I should also point out, the last highest ratings WCW drew was on the night of January 4th, 1999. They drew a 5.8 rating for their show and from that point on did NOTHING but plummet until they were bought out. That night was the Fingerpoke Of Doom. Their awful writing, lack of storytelling and constant struggles backstage caused them to languish until they were sold. Nitro was still doing 3.0 ratings in 2000 in an era where wrestling was at its hottest, but Thunder was taking in numbers of 1.5 and below (back when Sunday Night Heat was still getting 2.5-3.0), constantly falling until the end. Plus, it's well documented that WCW went through RIDICULOUS expenses that were completely unnecessary driving it to bankruptcy, such as flying EVERY SINGLE WRESTLER on their roster to their shows, only to tell half of them they weren't going to be on it. Bret Hart said this. Chris Jericho said this. Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit. Ric Flair, Kevin Nash, even people who barely worked for the company like the Insane Clown Posse. EVERYONE in the past decade has confirmed that WCW was flushing money down the drain.

TNA has good people in it. Dedicated, talented people that could make it into something great. But people like Dixie Carter and her father are just as clueless about running a wrestling business as Ted Turner was, so they put their faith in selfish, past-their-prime people like Hulk Hogan. If they don't change, they'll be dead-in-the-water in three years. Just like WCW. BTW, who told you WCW wasn't an upstart promotion? Because, uh, yeah, it was based on Jim Crockett Promotions, but by the time of the name change in 1988, there was barely anyone involved in it that had background with the original company and by 1991, anyone involved in Jim Crockett or NWA was pushed to the side so the company could "start anew" in Ted Turner's eyes. It was just as upstart as TNA is now.

Back to Sting, though, where this should stay (unless you want to make anymore baseless attacks towards me), while I do respect the legend for dedicating himself to the new part, I have to question why people say this is a good part of the gimmick. It's always admirable to see a wrestler really dive into their gimmick and give it life, but when the gimmick has no legs to begin with, there's not much to respect. I mean, come on, guys. Nobody gives Mike Shaw credit for really being into the Bastion Booger gimmick even though he did that for a year and a half. He put all his creativity and thought into being that fat bastard, but no one says "Man, that was an amazing gimmick because you could tell he really put everything he had into it!!" All Sting did was smear his make-up and say he's crazy, without ever acting crazy because he'll never act like a real heel or tweener (same issue with him in Main Event Mafia). So because he put all his effort into emulating Heath Ledger and Cesar Remaro for his own character role, the flawed gimmick that he was portraying should be respected?

you guys just prove that iwc is out of touch w what's making money and what's not everytime you post.

joker sting is way over and in my mind the best thing in wrestling right now. even hulk said the carrier sting gets the more over he gets. i don't expect joker sting to be gone yet

Joker Sting shirts don't sell. TNA adds in cheers when Joker Sting is on-screen. Everyone in professional wrestling and critical wrestling analysis points out the flaws in the Joker Sting character.

TNA Mark response: "UHHH GUYS U DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKIN BOUT, HE'S SUPER OVER."

Literally Impact Wrestling Fanboys.

You know nothing about me, yet from my personal opinion (which this thread asked for) on the Joker Sting gimmick, you were able to discern that I am an alleged WWE mark, know nothing about WCW and a "dumbass." Obviously you don't have any hostility issues. But if you wanna talk about TNA's quality, I'll go...

Your ratings argument is pretty null & void considering wrestling was at an all time high in popularity, regardless of brand, in the late 90s, numbers that either company WISH they could have for one night today. Hell, ECW was running one to two televised shows a month back then and getting the ratings of an episode of Raw today. Things change. That's business. But as it stands right now, TNA is left languishing right under the 1.0 mark because they don't do anything but non-stop, non-psychology booking with a change of mind made every week, on top of having to deal with their former head-writer trying to revive things he thought worked ten years ago (that failed then and now).

I should also point out, the last highest ratings WCW drew was on the night of January 4th, 1999. They drew a 5.8 rating for their show and from that point on did NOTHING but plummet until they were bought out. That night was the Fingerpoke Of Doom. Their awful writing, lack of storytelling and constant struggles backstage caused them to languish until they were sold. Nitro was still doing 3.0 ratings in 2000 in an era where wrestling was at its hottest, but Thunder was taking in numbers of 1.5 and below (back when Sunday Night Heat was still getting 2.5-3.0), constantly falling until the end. Plus, it's well documented that WCW went through RIDICULOUS expenses that were completely unnecessary driving it to bankruptcy, such as flying EVERY SINGLE WRESTLER on their roster to their shows, only to tell half of them they weren't going to be on it. Bret Hart said this. Chris Jericho said this. Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit. Ric Flair, Kevin Nash, even people who barely worked for the company like the Insane Clown Posse. EVERYONE in the past decade has confirmed that WCW was flushing money down the drain.

TNA has good people in it. Dedicated, talented people that could make it into something great. But people like Dixie Carter and her father are just as clueless about running a wrestling business as Ted Turner was, so they put their faith in selfish, past-their-prime people like Hulk Hogan. If they don't change, they'll be dead-in-the-water in three years. Just like WCW. BTW, who told you WCW wasn't an upstart promotion? Because, uh, yeah, it was based on Jim Crockett Promotions, but by the time of the name change in 1988, there was barely anyone involved in it that had background with the original company and by 1991, anyone involved in Jim Crockett or NWA was pushed to the side so the company could "start anew" in Ted Turner's eyes. It was just as upstart as TNA is now.

Back to Sting, though, where this should stay (unless you want to make anymore baseless attacks towards me), while I do respect the legend for dedicating himself to the new part, I have to question why people say this is a good part of the gimmick. It's always admirable to see a wrestler really dive into their gimmick and give it life, but when the gimmick has no legs to begin with, there's not much to respect. I mean, come on, guys. Nobody gives Mike Shaw credit for really being into the Bastion Booger gimmick even though he did that for a year and a half. He put all his creativity and thought into being that fat bastard, but no one says "Man, that was an amazing gimmick because you could tell he really put everything he had into it!!" All Sting did was smear his make-up and say he's crazy, without ever acting crazy because he'll never act like a real heel or tweener (same issue with him in Main Event Mafia). So because he put all his effort into emulating Heath Ledger and Cesar Remaro for his own character role, the flawed gimmick that he was portraying should be respected?

Joker Sting shirts don't sell. TNA adds in cheers when Joker Sting is on-screen. Everyone in professional wrestling and critical wrestling analysis points out the flaws in the Joker Sting character.

TNA Mark response: "UHHH GUYS U DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKIN BOUT, HE'S SUPER OVER."

Literally Impact Wrestling Fanboys.

I do not need a history in WCW... What you are forgetting to point out is that WCW had it's territory in the south. It already had an established fan base. TNA does not have this luxury. Most people still refer to TNA as that "WWF stuff".

Ted Turner, Eric Bischoff, and Hulk Hogan were clueless? Is that how they managed to man handle the great and powerful Vince McMahon? Just for future reference, when you say that WCW was ran by a bunch of morons that makes your precious WWE look even more pathetic.

The fact of the matter is that Sting playing the Joker character was well done. This is not opinion, but fact. The thing that some people on here bash that character for is that they think the "character" is stupid... not how Sting portrayed the character.

Something tells me that if Sting had signed with the WWE and were playing the "joker" character to get inside the head of the Undertaker, that it would be "awesome" or "cutting edge". However, since Sting works for TNA it isn't any good because how could anything good exist outside of WWE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back