Steel Cage matches. Do you think they've been done to death?

Are you tired of seeing Steel Cage matches?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheICChampion

The hardcore casual fan
So...we get another steel cage match this Sunday....yaaayyy...

Look, I know there are going to be some of you who say just about every match in any wrestling company has been overdone to some degree or another. But why does it seem like the steel cage match is the go-to match to settle a feud or to keep others from interfering when everyone except maybe brand-new fans who are watching their first ever wrestling show knows that this is rarely, if ever, the case? All I'm saying is I'm getting pretty tired of it, and I know I can't be the only one. I know there aren't really any new matches that they can come up with, but honestly, I would be happy with something added to the cage. I would say a roof, but that's Hell in a Cell in WWE, and Lethal Lockdown in TNA. Maybe if they brought back the barbed-wire every so often. I know they wouldn't really be able to use it, but that could at least sell the idea that one of the superstars COULD, if they so chose. Maybe tease it a little, too. They should also change the door of the cage so that the lock is on the inside so that way the door can't be opened from the outside, leaving no room for interference. Anyway, I now leave it to you. Are you tired of seeing steel cage matches as well? Would you like to at least see something added so it doesn't feel as stale as it is now?

(FYI Mods: I put this in General Wrestling discussion because I was also referring to TNA, who have a whole PPV dedicated to Steel Cage matches)

It's not about how many times you see them. It's about how well they are executed. Case in point, a company you ignored. Lucha Underground. Johnny Mundo and King Cuerno had an insanely good Steel Cage match that came about after the two brawl all over the Lucha Underground Temple. The match was made to keep them contained in the ring. Guess what happened in the match? They stayed in the ring.

If WWE feels like killing the Steel Cage gimmick (it's because they're moron's if you're asking), let them. Other companies still run perfectly fine with the concept.

As Killjoy said, its simply bad booking that's ruining cage matches these days, especially in WWE. TNA have clearly made the mistake of having a PPV with nothing but cage matches, overdoing the gimmick massively (just as WWE have lessened the impact of the TLC and Hell In A Cell matches by having gimmick PPVs based around the match type.

It's not hard to book a cage match right. The whole concept is that the steel cage keeps other people out, therefore reducing the chance of interference. The Face would usually get his revenge 1 on 1 inside the cage after weeks of being beaten down by the cowardly heel's gang of associates. Other companies still book these type of matches well, maybe just not in WWE.

I DO think WWE definitely need to look at bringing in some new gimmick matches, as they've not really introduced an exciting new match type in a long while. It would certainly freshen up the cards.

I enjoy cage matches but they have to be done right and for the right reason. The WWE just has a cage match to have a cage match. A cage match should be between guys that are in a heated feud and can batter and bloody each other in a blow off match. It's been a long time since the WWE did a good cage match but they are also PG so I don't see a return to that.

I voted "No". Reason being-Steel Cage Matches need to be done rarely..As it's been pointed out, TNA overdoes cage matches by having an entire PPV dedicated to them..

Cage matches are feud settling matches and should be rarely done for that reason..The phrase "less is more" truly applies to this..Also, steel cage matches rarely have blood these days..Cage matches in my opinion should NOT be done if there's going to be no bloodshed. The cage is a dangerous weapon and as I already pointed out, a feud-settling match, hence blood is a requirement for a steel cage match to begin with. Without blood, steel cage matches are essentially false advertising. Also, steel cage matches these days usually lack psychology since wrestlers are mostly more concerned with going through the motions of hitting their spots instead of listening to the crowd, using blood as a psychological advantage and having a truly memorable steel cage match.

Far as I'm concerned, the last 2 memorable steel cage matches that the WWE's done are the Ric Flair vs Helmsley Taboo Tuesday 2005 IC Title steel cage match and the Matt Hardy vs Edge steel cage match. Another reason why the Flair vs Helmsley match was so memorable is because they wrestled that match in the way it would've been done in the NWA back in the 1970s.

Both of those matches had blood, psychology and a great feud to give a reason to have a steel cage match. Even though neither of those matches ended those feuds, I still enjoy watching them, which is more than I can say for any cage match the WWE has done from 2005 til today.

Flair vs Helmsley highlights-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86fjHWYAFDc

Here's the full match of Hardy vs Edge-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7K_zNDglWc

I have no issue with cage matches, rather the cage door. For the amount cage matches get talked up, to just have a door there is rubbish imo, and watching a wrestler pretend to attempt to try and walk out as slowly as they can is excruciating. Up & over, pinfall, submission or GTFO

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back