• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stealing other wrestlers finishers - can you take anyone's?

Allstar

Occasional Pre-Show
Wrestlers stealing other wrestlers finishers and using them for their own. We have seen it time and time again through out all the history of wresting.

From Booker T taking the The Rock's Rock Bottom and calling it BookEnd to Randy Orton taking DDP's Diamond Cutter and calling it the RKO and Sheamus taking Scott Hall's Outsiders Edge and making it is own.

Now of course these example are all fine and there is nothing wrong with any of it but I pose a question -
Is there finishers that can't be re-used? Could you ever imagine someone else using the Tombstone Piledriver that wasn't named The Undertaker? Would anyone get angry if some new comer from NXT came up to the main roster and had the Stunner as his finisher move? After Stone Cold made the move so famous?
I personly would find it awkward and out of place.

What do you guys think?
Are there certain moves that no-one could use because it's so famous due to the wrestler that used it?

Or on the flip side - who's old finisher do you wanna see make a come back?

I don't think there is a single finisher that can not be redone. It's never exactly the same (how many variations of Powerbombs do we have?). I mean, it would just need the right gimmick, and it could be done. You mentioned the Stunner, so I'll use it as an example. Bo Dallas. Stone Bo Stunner, Bo Cold Stunner, etc. All he needs is for someone to say "You're as good as..." and he could make an imitational gimmick off of that. Even today's superstars are doing it. CM Punk had the Pepsi Plunge, which was a variation of Triple H's Pedigree. Now he uses Go To Sleep. It's the same move, same name, and everything, as it's original in Japan.

As far as one I'd like to come back...I can't think of one that I haven't already seen...

I think it will be hard to see anyone use the Tombstone agian after Kane and Taker. Mostly do to the fact WWE really has banned that move along with piledrivers save for Taker and Kane since they have proved they can use it safely. Even still Kane hardly uses it and taker only has one match a year. They let HHH do it awhile back but going foreword i think the Tombstone will be retired with Taker and Kane.

For moves i would like to come back as a finisher

1:Sharpshooter used by someone other then a diva......its a damn shame they are crapping all over that move by having a Diva use it and no one else.

2:Jack Knife Powerbomb. I always liked the mid air release that made it look and feel different from a normal power bomb.

3:The Super Kick i know some use it here and there but no one on the main roster of any note uses it that i can recall as a finisher......not like HBK did.

4: Jackhammer.........give it to Ryback.....lol

5: shooting star or frog splash ( RVD and Rey dont have long so pass the splash on to someone else.) Put both since i am not sure if the shooting star is banned or not in WWE.

5: shooting star or frog splash ( RVD and Rey dont have long so pass the splash on to someone else.) Put both since i am not sure if the shooting star is banned or not in WWE.

Both Evan Bourne and Justin Gabriel do the shooting star press. Haven't seen Gabriel since the random DB run in save and before that. who knows? Bourne has been injured due to a car wreck.

I'd like to add that as long as Cena is around, NO ONE will do the AA, death valley driver, burning hammer, dreamer driver, pimp drop or any variation or modification of the DVD except for Cena or someone in a match with Cena.

Just ask Tyler Reks

Mongo McMichael was using the tombstone in WcW in the 90's. And Wrath was using the RockBottom in WcW as well while Rock was still using the shoulder breaker as Maivia. So Rock copied him. He called it the Dealth Penalty. Sheamus just looks silly, Razor's Edge is just one of those moves that doesn't fit anyone else but Razor. Wish people would be more creative and figure out there own moves. Guess thats not possible.

I think the code, atleast it is in the indy circuit if your in a promotion and a vet has been around for a long time, you both can't have the same finisher or similar nicknames, when I was training down in Dan Severns school this was the code used for Price of Glory Wrestling. it's not a written rule, but it was there if I remember right I wanted to use the ace crusher (Diamond cutter) as my finisher, but couldn't because another wrestler Johnny Dynamo was using it and he had been there since the beginning of the promotion.

I would assume this is a similar rule of thumb if I remember correctly when the spear became Edge's finisher, no one could use it in fear it would make Edges finisher look weak. I think the same rule was made when Goldberg was in WWE in terms of the spear but don't quote me on that. I just think out of respect people don't reuse finishers while someone is around, now I could say this people don't do the sweet chin music in honor of HBK its referred to as the Sabat or Crescent kick. Same for the tombstone, no one in WWE uses it unless they are fighting the Undertaker however they do in TNA. So if you take that in consideration I think it takes time to let someone use the move, or at least be in a different promotion but I don't think a move will ever be retired like a number on a jersey in baseball or football, because someone will always want to use it as a tribute or something.

Paul Burchill's C4 is an amazing move. I think Sin Cara did it for a while, but I feel it would best fit Seth Rollins

I think the code, atleast it is in the indy circuit if your in a promotion and a vet has been around for a long time, you both can't have the same finisher or similar nicknames, when I was training down in Dan Severns school this was the code used for Price of Glory Wrestling. it's not a written rule, but it was there if I remember right I wanted to use the ace crusher (Diamond cutter) as my finisher, but couldn't because another wrestler Johnny Dynamo was using it and he had been there since the beginning of the promotion.

I would assume this is a similar rule of thumb if I remember correctly when the spear became Edge's finisher, no one could use it in fear it would make Edges finisher look weak. I think the same rule was made when Goldberg was in WWE in terms of the spear but don't quote me on that. I just think out of respect people don't reuse finishers while someone is around, now I could say this people don't do the sweet chin music in honor of HBK its referred to as the Sabat or Crescent kick. Same for the tombstone, no one in WWE uses it unless they are fighting the Undertaker however they do in TNA. So if you take that in consideration I think it takes time to let someone use the move, or at least be in a different promotion but I don't think a move will ever be retired like a number on a jersey in baseball or football, because someone will always want to use it as a tribute or something.

Sorry if this is a little off-topic but to me I would think if someone else for example did a death valley driver and their opponent kicked out it would make the move look stronger for Cena when he does it and wins.

I think it will be hard to see anyone use the Tombstone agian after Kane and Taker. Mostly do to the fact WWE really has banned that move along with piledrivers save for Taker and Kane since they have proved they can use it safely. Even still Kane hardly uses it and taker only has one match a year. They let HHH do it awhile back but going foreword i think the Tombstone will be retired with Taker and Kane.

1:Sharpshooter used by someone other then a diva......its a damn shame they are crapping all over that move by having a Diva use it and no one else.

2:Jack Knife Powerbomb. I always liked the mid air release that made it look and feel different from a normal power bomb.

3:The Super Kick i know some use it here and there but no one on the main roster of any note uses it that i can recall as a finisher......not like HBK did.

Funny thing is Ryback hit Cena with this on SmackDown! last week and of course, Cena kicked out of it

In his return match on this past Monday's episode of Raw, Tyson Kidd used the Sharpshooter to make Fandango quit during the mixed tag match of Nattie/Kidd vs Fandango/Summer Rae.

I think that the Death Valley Driver would fit Kaitlyn since she's billed as one of the strongest women in the WWE..She could use her Spear as a set-up move for the Death Valley Driver..Except that I can't see any women in the WWE outside of Nattie, Tamina and AJ actually being able to take the move.

I think that Punk could use the Flatliner as a good set-up move for the Anaconda Vice. It's a quick, decisive move and is perfect to use as a set-up move for the Anaconda Vice because it saves Punk from using the Go To Sleep all the time..That way he's not lifting bigger guys like Ryback's size up for the GTS but instead using a very effective move which doesn't require Punk to lift his opponent up since he'd take them straight down and it'd put them in perfect position for the Anaconda Vice.

There are very, very, very few moves that seem to be off limits when it comes to using them as a finisher in WWE. Off the top of my head, there are only a couple of examples that I can think of. The first one is the Tombstone Piledriver as, outside of Taker or Kane, I haven't seen anyone in WWE use that move in many years. It's really even rare for Kane to use the move. Another finisher is the Pedigree and I haven't seen anyone in WWE use Triple H's finisher. When it comes to genuine influence & power, Taker & Triple H are probably the top two guys in WWE. Triple H is going to be running WWE one day I have a feeling that he's someone who'd be pissed if someone else utilized his finisher. As for Taker, Taker's possibly the most respected guy in wrestling among both fans & insiders. I don't know if he's the type who'd take it as a sign of disrespect or not, but it'd be best to play it safe. Besides, any variation of the Piledriver is pretty much banned in WWE. I remember reading a report earlier this year alleging that Vince blew up backstage during the Cena vs. Punk match on Raw back in February when Punk used the Piledriver on Cena. Nothing happened to them, as far as I know, but they're two exceptions. Just as with almost any other aspect of life, there are always going to be a few examples of people that're able to get away with more because of who they are. It's not exactly fair, but neither is life for that matter.

So far as I know, there's no strict rule as it pertains to "stealing" the finishing moves of other wrestlers. I'm sure there are some wrestlers that can see it as a mark of disrespect, for some reason, if others take it upon themselves to use their finishers. I remember a few years back in which Kurt Angle was ranting & raving to anyone who'd listen about how Jack Swagger & Randy Orton were "stealing" his moves. Swagger has used the ankle lock for a long while and Orton incorporated the Angle Slam into his offense for a while, but didn't use it as a finisher. As much as I like & respect Angle, I remember thinking that, to me at least, it sounded as though his ego was too big for his own good. Angle wasn't the first guy to utilize the ankle lock and the Angle Slam comes off as more of a cross between a Fireman's Carry and a modified back suplex. However, had Angle been part of WWE when it was going on, he'd have probably raised a fuss over it and caused some issues backstage

Why would you give it to anybody whose DNA doesn't have Hart in it? The only other person who I'd accept using the Sharpshooter is Tyson Kidd... unless WWE decides to take the risk on Teddy Hart. It's in that same vein that I would rather Charlotte come to the main roster and use the figure four and have Miz find something else.

From Booker T taking the The Rock's Rock Bottom and calling it BookEnd to Randy Orton taking DDP's Diamond Cutter and calling it the RKO and Sheamus taking Scott Hall's Outsiders Edge and making it is own.

You do realize that Booker T was using the Book End back when he was still with Global Wrestling Federation in 1992, back when Dwayne was still playing college football right? And that John Laurinaitis actually invented the cutter, right?

But whatever, we'll continue on...

---

There are a lot of moves that can be re-packaged someway some how. To be honest, I haven't seen someone use a decent Shining Wizard since Gregory Helms last used it in WWE. Maybe someone like Dolph Ziggler or The Miz could use it. They've got the build to pull it off, and it wouldn't look too bad with them doing it.

Another finisher I haven't seen used in a while is the Flatliner. It used to be everywhere in the beloved Attitude Era, now it's a rarity to see. And honestly, I don't know why. If a DDT is able to be used the surely someone could utilize the flatliner.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Ziggler go back to the Sleeper Hold. He had something going with that move. Maybe they could have Bob Backlund come up and teach him the Chickenwing and he can utilize that from now on.

To be honest, I haven't seen someone use a decent Shining Wizard since Gregory Helms last used it in WWE. Maybe someone like Dolph Ziggler or The Miz could use it. They've got the build to pull it off, and it wouldn't look too bad with them doing it.

I could see Miz using it with the NEW name....Shining Mizard....tell me it wouldn't be possible with that name!

As for Ziggler using a Sleeper Hold. Me personally, a sleeper hold has been gotten out of SO MUCH now, that it doesn't have the same appeal as it did back in the day. It's just a filler move now, imo. Nothing more. I wouldn't mind him learning a variation of it though that would be considered credible. I always liked Low Ki's Dragon Clutch and the Taz(z)mission...

Morrison was using the shining wizard as a finish just before he was future endeavored.

I think the Mannibal Claw is a great finishing move for the right wrestler. Right now though in wwe I could only really see wyatt or ambrose doing the move justice, and they both currently have good finishes. But I'm sure that someone will see the value in the Claw in the future.

Personally I would like to see more submissions. Moreso older legacy versions. Crossface Chickenwing, Cobra Clutch or maybe the Rings of Saturn

Are there certain moves that no-one could use because it's so famous due to the wrestler that used it?
Not at all. With time, any move can be used by anyone. Wrestlers retire, moves don't. Powerbombs, cutters, chokeslams, ankle locks, and so on are never going to go out of style. And thus they'll always be rinsed and repeated through talent.

And it's a good thing that moves will always be re-used. Otherwise we'd enter a wrestling world where everyone's doing overtly complicated, Teddy Hart-esque moves that: 1) make no sense, and 2) look like the worker taking the move has to do more work than the guy giving it.​
Or on the flip side - who's old finisher do you wanna see make a come back?
Off the top of my head; I'd like to see the Beast Choker, the Shining Wizard, and the Torture Rack make a return.​

I don't recall anyone using a stunner as an actual finisher since Stone Cold, and it should stay that way.

EDIT: Looks like R Truth used a Vertical Suplex Stunner as a finisher while he was Ron Killings.

As far as finishers I'd like to see make a return, that I've not seen in forever is the STO (Space Tornado Ogawa) created by Naoya Ogawa.

I fell in love with that move when playing wrestling games on the N64 (I think it was that far back) and have rarely seen it in actual wrestling.

I was reading one of the post about other wrestlers using finishing moves, Undertakers tomb stone pile driver first person I seen use that move was Don The Rock Moroco before Undertaker was even in WWF/WWE, he would pick them up lock them in and drop down to his knees, years later undertaker comes in with a tomb stone pile driver which is the same move with a different name

I was reading one of the post about other wrestlers using finishing moves, Undertakers tomb stone pile driver first person I seen use that move was Don The Rock Moroco before Undertaker was even in WWF/WWE, he would pick them up lock them in and drop down to his knees, years later undertaker comes in with a tomb stone pile driver which is the same move with a different name

But was Morocco's belly to belly or belly to back like a standard piledriver? Did he drop them forward unto their backs and go for the pin? Did he lift them in the same way or use the standard piledriver/powerbomb position lift? A proper Tombstone is about the entire move and setup, not jsut how you are dropping and impacting the mat. It's how you lift the person, hold them, position your self just right in the ring, drop down for the impact and then move into the cover. There are a lot of variations on various moves, and no two people do the same move exactly alike for reason of not wanting to be seen as 'stealing' or mimicking someone else's move.

If it was belly to back, then it wasn't a Tombstone, just another version of a leaping piledriver. People often erroneously credit the piledriver Owen used that injured and almost killed Austin as a tombstone, but it was a standard drop piledriver, he just didn't properly tuck Austin's head on his thighs. Lawler's piledriver is a sitdown, where he falls back on his ass while holding his opponent upright in a belly to back position. Owen's was more similar to that, but he leapt instead of just falling back.

There are some moves that given the safety issues are likely never to be recycled or resused by other people. We will likely never see the Vertebreaker again, nor the Pepsi Plunge. I doubt people will start using the Pedigree unless there's some kind of 'official' passing of the torch type moment by HHH, and the same for the real Tombstone or most variations on the piledriver. The VanDaminator is done and unlikely to be repeated. I also doubt anyone in WWE will use the F5 as it's too associated with Brock and his 'monster' role to be acceptable. In another 10years, perhaps some of these might come back into use, but it's unlikely as who knows how it's going to evolve by then.

DDP has stated himself that he personally called Randy and told him to take the Cutter as his move. Randy was according to Page, rather pilled up and incoherent at the time so didn't remember the call and thought he had heat with Page over it.

Owen's "tombstone" wasn't done right, indeed the heat he had with Austin was down to the way Owen performed the move his way despite Austin telling him 3 times to ho to his knees as Taker does. Austin said Owen almost had a "mental block" on it and when the time came he leapt and that's what caused the injury.

Is there a right or wrong way about "stealing a move"? Not really, some moves are off limits due to safety, Taker and Kane are now the only guys ever allowed to do a Tombstone because they have the experience and safety down. Piledrivers in general are frowned on but Cena and Punk got away with it. In other cases it comes down to whether the guy who originates ok's it like Page did...after all this was a guy who won a case over his hand gesture, so if he didn't want the cutter used he could have made life hard for Orton.

It's rare to see out and out "stealing" of moves while a guy is still using it. The F5/FU was perhaps the most obvious "steal" of a move so far as Cena used it in he and Brock's mini feud as a "dig". That he has kept it all these years was perhaps WWE's dig on Brock for leaving as he did and by now it's Cena's move rather than Brock's in the scheme of things.

I guess in the end it comes down to where you are on the totem when the person steals the move.. If someone came in tomorrow and did a Warrior style Gorilla Press then it wouldn't really be stealing it as he isn't there...Page's argument to Orton was "I'm done, take the move". but if someone started using the Pedigree or the RKO while they're still there it would probably be an issue. If someone used the Perfect Plex while Axel was using it, you could see heat from it but it would be based more on it being Curt's move and disrespectful rather than it being Joe's move.

Ultimately there is a finite number of safe moves and variations possible, much like anyone who writes a piece of music now has undoubtedly been influenced by 300 years+ of composition. It's almost impossible to create new, safe moves - anything untried is unlikely to pass due to the safety implications and anything overtly risky will be stopped. The days of creative finishes are gone, you'll likely start seeing more traditional ones coming back as a result so there will be an element of "stealing" from far more recently than previously.

ive think ive seen the tombstone used in a few other promotions over the years not by anyone particulary famous though and it even gets used in the film nacho libre lol that move will always be associated with taker and kane though and as already mentioned due to wwes stance on piledrivers i think once they are finished so is the tombstone.

all moves can be stolen but i think the very hardest one would be the stunner it is a very basic move but i think someone would have to do something very special with that move to make it their own finisher after stone cold hes made it probally the most famous move in wrestling ever most everyone has heard of a stonecold stunner fan or not. guys generally sold it like they just got hit by a dumptruck and austins middle finger followed by trash talking routine during the move made it his forever imo.

DDP has stated himself that he personally called Randy and told him to take the Cutter as his move. Randy was according to Page, rather pilled up and incoherent at the time so didn't remember the call and thought he had heat with Page over it.

In other cases it comes down to whether the guy who originates ok's it like Page did...after all this was a guy who won a case over his hand gesture, so if he didn't want the cutter used he could have made life hard for Orton.

It's rare to see out and out "stealing" of moves while a guy is still using it. The F5/FU was perhaps the most obvious "steal" of a move so far as Cena used it in he and Brock's mini feud as a "dig". That he has kept it all these years was perhaps WWE's dig on Brock for leaving as he did and by now it's Cena's move rather than Brock's in the scheme of things.

I guess in the end it comes down to where you are on the totem when the person steals the move.. If someone came in tomorrow and did a Warrior style Gorilla Press then it wouldn't really be stealing it as he isn't there...Page's argument to Orton was "I'm done, take the move". but if someone started using the Pedigree or the RKO while they're still there it would probably be an issue. If someone used the Perfect Plex while Axel was using it, you could see heat from it but it would be based more on it being Curt's move and disrespectful rather than it being Joe's move.

Ultimately there is a finite number of safe moves and variations possible, much like anyone who writes a piece of music now has undoubtedly been influenced by 300 years+ of composition. It's almost impossible to create new, safe moves - anything untried is unlikely to pass due to the safety implications and anything overtly risky will be stopped. The days of creative finishes are gone, you'll likely start seeing more traditional ones coming back as a result so there will be an element of "stealing" from far more recently than previously.

A few problems with your post. The F5 and the FU are two completely different moves. The F5 is a shoulder carry into a twist with a side facebuster/reverse suplex style impact face down. The FU is a shoulder carry into an elevated Fireman's carry toss/side drop onto the back. The only similarity is the shoulder carry setup and the name. However it's no longer called the FU, it's now the Attitude Adjusment and has been for about 4 years now.

DDP didn't invent his cutter either. He took it from Johnny Ace and the AceCrusher. It was then used by DDP and others including Bubba Ray Dudley and variations became the Twist of fate and a major mod combining 2 moves of the cutter and the sitout jawbreaker became the Stone Cold Stunner.

Warrior's gorilla press slam was a 'theft' of a move itself as it was apparently originated or popularized by Gorilla Monsoon hence the name. Also called the military press at various times, was also used by powerhouses like the LOD and the like.

You are right that there has reached a stale level of creative new finishers. The human body can only move in so many ways and be manipulated in so many others and with about 100 years of history in 'professional' wrestling, and the way that audiences and wrestlers have evolved a plateau has been reached. It's now at a point were flash needs to be adjusted to improve and maintain safety. The days of constant expanding of limits and pushing of luck when performing some moves has come to an end. Any further pushing could start resulting in more injuries and possibly more serious health risks for the performers. That's not to say that there still isn't a little room between safety margins and creativity for new moves to come about, but those limits are much more narrowly defined then they have been since the late 80's.

Now I didn't bring this up before since I was waiting to see if anyone else did, but something that has been overlooked is the in match 'steals' that happen often during big moments. Times when during a match, one wrestler will use his opponents finish against him in order to try and show him up by doing it better or add insult to injury by beating him with his own move. This is part of the script of the matches and usually planned out ahead of time, but there have been times when it happened spontaneously and added a little bit of shoot into the match. These momentary use of moves is appropriate and welcome as it adds impact and tension to the match, even if only for a short time. And of course, if one person uses the others finish but there's a kickout, then 100% of the time, the opponent who's move was stolen first will then have to make an attempt to use the first person's move as well.

Personally, I think the idea of one person stealing another's move is foolish. Even if someone has invented a new move, once it's out there, it's available for any one to use. The single biggest and most common modern example is of course the DDT. Invented by Jake the Snake(accidentally when opponent fell onto face, he followed him down and a botched moment became a devastating move) it is now used as a staple in the arsenal of all wrestlers. Everyone uses some kind of variation of it at some point, perhaps not in every match, but everyone is trained in how to do in in various situations. In all honesty though, if there was such a thing as patenting a move to prevent others from using it, EVERY single move would have been patented and their inventors making tons of many from being able to demand a royalty for allowing others to use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back