• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Starcraft II

Shadowmancer

I am The Last Baron
StarCraft_II.jpg

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Possibly the best RTS of all time in Starcraft is getting its long awaited sequel. (Unlike Diablo 2) Anyway here is the story that Wikipedia has up for the game.

The storyline of StarCraft II will take place four years after StarCraft: Brood War, and will feature the return of a number of heroes and villains from the original game, such as Zeratul, Artanis, Sarah Kerrigan and Jim Raynor. Players will revisit worlds from the original game, such as Char, Mar Sara, and Braxis, along with new worlds, such as the jungle planet Bel'Shir. It has also been confirmed that the Xel'Naga, the ancient space-faring race responsible for creating the Protoss and the Zerg, will play a major role in the game.

Following the events of Brood War, Kerrigan and her Zerg forces are the dominant force in the galaxy, having annihilated the United Earth Directorate's Expeditionary Force, destroyed the Terran Dominion, and invaded the Protoss homeworld of Aiur. However, it has been revealed that after the conclusion of Brood War, Kerrigan retreats back to Char, despite having more than enough power to crush all resistance in the Koprulu Sector. In the four years leading up to the events of StarCraft II, Kerrigan has not been seen or heard from by any of the other characters, although her ultimate attack may come at any moment.

Arcturus Mengsk has been left to rebuild the Dominion, consolidating his power while fending off harassment from rival Terran groups. Valerian Mengsk, a character introduced in the novel Firstborn, will play an important role in Dominion politics, due to his position as heir apparent to the throne. Meanwhile, Jim Raynor, whose role in the events of StarCraft and Brood War have been marginalized by the media under the Dominion's control, has been reduced to mercenary status, and has been shown to be doing business with the "Moebius Foundation", a new faction which is interested in ancient Xel'Naga artifacts. Chris Metzen, Vice President of Creative Development, has emphasized that by the events of StarCraft II, Raynor has become jaded and embittered by the way he was used and betrayed by Arcturus Mengsk. Other new characters to the series include Tychus Findlay, first introduced in the StarCraft II teaser cinematic, a marine who will be a member of Raynor's crew, and Matt Horner, Raynor's second in command, another character originally featured in one of the novels.

Following the fall of Aiur and the death of their matriarch Raszagal, the Protoss have retreated to the dark templar homeworld of Shakuras. There, Artanis, a former student of Tassadar, is trying to unify the Khalai Protoss and the dark templar, who have nearly separated into a tribal mindset as a result of centuries of distrust. Zeratul, tortured over the murder of his matriarch, has disappeared to search for clues to the meaning of Samir Duran's cryptic statements regarding the Protoss/Zerg hybrids in Brood War's secret mission "Dark Origin".

The story sounds awesome with the entire fall of the Protoss story still going on. The Cinematic scenes are returning and if the Trailer is anything to go by they are going to be Glorious.

[youtube]ELhtXtnV3pg[/youtube]​

Here is some of the Development stuff. It sounds like it is going to be an attempt to reach everyone, Hell I might even upgrade the Graphics card on my Laptop just so I can play this game.

The development of StarCraft II was announced on May 19, 2007, at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational in Seoul, South Korea. StarCraft II is being developed, under the codename Medusa, for concurrent release on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Mac OS X. Blizzard has not announced a release date, but they have stated that the game will not be released in 2007. It has been stated that development on the game began in 2003, shortly after Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne was released. The retail development is in the early stages, but the core game is "very far along" and can currently be played in multiplayer mode.

StarCraft II will support the DirectX 9 (Pixel Shader 2.0) software and will be fully compatible with DirectX 10 as well, although the development team has not yet decided whether to add exclusive DirectX 10 graphic effects. The Mac client will utilize OpenGL instead. The game will also feature the Havok physics engine, allowing realistic interaction with the environment, such as "debris rolling down a ramp". In addition, there are plans to implement VoIP into the game as well

Here is the official gameplay Demo with Commentary.

Starcraft 2 Official In-Game Demo 1 with commentary
[youtube]1ipBCEZwbM0[/youtube]

Starcraft 2 Official In-Game Demo 2 with commentary
[youtube]V4L04L1SCcY[/youtube]​

I for one can't wait for this game. I was going to post about it, but I didn't think anyone here actually played. The game looks amazing, and so far the new units and weapons look awesome. I heard that people will be able to control 150 units at a time. Kind of changes the meaning to the word Zergling Swarm... The Protoss look just as dangerous as they did in the original game, and the Terran look like they can actually do something outside of tanks and battlecruisers. Can't wait to hear about the Zerg, as I normally play as them

Terrans in the original game were good if you knew the methods to fight with them. Protoss look really cool. It looks like the Zerg just got more interesting in that they have those underground transport Dragon things I guess you would call it. But the number of Zerglings that they showed is going to be insane and it will lead to a tonne of Rush armies. But as a Protoss/Terran player it looks good. The Protoss Mothership is kickass.

Well I never really did much with the Terran in Starcraft or Brood War, but between the thor, banshee, and the returning battlecruiser I'll probably be more enticed to try em out more. The EMP ability for the ghost is going to be a huge problem for protoss and terran players I think. To me the Protoss collousus looks like the robots out of war of the worlds lol. The mothership looks sick as hell. It should be interesting to see if there is a build limit to the mothership or not though. I don't think anything could stand up to a fleet of motherships and carriers. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the terran and zerg get anything that can possibly counter them

Yeah the Video says that there is a One Mothership at a time thing in the game. It would also consume a huge amount of resources so it would only be feasible to make one anyway. Hopefully the controls aren't too far changed from the original which I loaded up onto the computer to play again so I am ready for Starcraft II.

This looks amazing, I'm a big fan of Starcraft, and Brood War and I still play both on occasion. I'm happy that their keeping the game as a strategy type game and not a First or Third person shooter. I love the new camera angles and the graphics look amazing, a true improvement from the original.

I'm still a huge SCBW fan. I still play it constantly. Has anyone seen some of the new Zerg screenshots? The zerglings look like friggen crickets, and it appears that the Baylings have the ability to explode

Hey guys. The other day the Starcraft fan site I'm a part of released as did the Starcraft II website, the Terran Nomad. It looks pretty cool and it looks like it'll be able to help out in tight situations by deploying a variety of auto turrets onto the battlefield. At the end of SC2's description of the unit it mentions that it replaces the Science Vessel. So it looks like the Science Vessel is out of the game. t should be interesting to see if Blizzard includes Irridate, Defence Matrix, and EMP Shockwave into any other units. I heard the Ghost was going to have an EMP burst, but not sure exactly what it'll do. Also it should be interesting to see if the Nomad or it's turrets are detectors to make up for the lost science vessel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back