• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

That Other Beta Fell A While Ago (But I Just Got A Key) - Starcraft II

About a month or so ago, the beta for the first part of the Starcraft Trilogy was opened. Though the beta is invitation only and invitation seems to be rather random, I finally got my key the other day and have been playing non stop ever since.

Alot of people have complained that it feels simply like a graphics update of the original Starcraft, I think these people took one look at the game and decided to talk out their ass. Starcraft II is taking a perfect formula and expanding on it, the core game is exactly the same, but I guarantee there would have been more pissed if Blizzard had tampered a perfect formula.

The graphics are fine, in a game that doesnt need to look pretty to be fantastic (as the original proves still to this day). The gameplay somehow feels faster then the original, which is saying something considering the original was one of the fastest most frantic games out there. Although I would say I am above amateur level in the original, I have been getting my ass handed to me over and over this time around. To say it is the same game is ridiculous, I have yet to see all the new units myself, but with the removal of certain units and addition of some, the game has changed entirely. No longer can one pester a potential rival expansion with a cloaked wraith, and for that matter, Terrans can now jetpack into bases backdoor style, Protoss finally have a fantastic air unit other then their Carriers (Void Ray), and Zergs have been the least appealling to me so far.

As far as balance, I am not sure if I am getting my ass kicked because certain units are overpowered, or because I just havent found the correct way to handle them yet. Notable units are the Terran Thor who have plown through my baes over and over, the Battlecruisers seem faster, and much more efficient, Protoss Void Rays have several times made me feel like a pathetic human in 'War Of The Worlds', and Zerg.... Well I have yet to be defeated by a Zerg player, perhaps they are the worst of the lot this time, or perhaps (and more likely) no one has figured them out to well yet.

I am going to play this, over and over, as new strategies develop I am sure it will be figured out very shortly which units need to be nerfed and the game can generally balance itself a bit more. It took the original Starcraft about a year or two after release to finally become the wonderfully balanced game it is today, and I do not doubt the same will apply here.

This beta gets a huge thumbs up from a decade long Starcraft player, makes me very eager to play the finished product.

I too play the Starcraft Beta and I am quite proficient. I do feel that the game is a worthy successor, and that the game is reasonably balanced. Starcraft was released in 1998, but didn't achieve an appropriate level of balance until 2002 or 2003, I think considering that comparison, Starcraft II is very impressive.

The game is most definitely faster, the game revolves a lot more on knowledge and strategy and less upon mechanics such as mouse speed and skill at unit production. In fact, knowing which units are the most effective at the respective match-ups is something that I would say the vast majority of players haven't grasped.

There are some units that are quite strong, but look back to the Starcraft. Psionic storm, lurkers, dark swarm; all of these are examples of extremely strong units & abilities from the original game, but this was necessary because it allowed comebacks and devastating battle upsets because of the unpredictability. To remove these strong units would further push Starcraft II towards a state where once a player nets an advantage it will be extremely hard to even up the game.

If you ever want to discuss strategy or what not send me a PM, I would be more than happy to discuss or help.

If you ever want to discuss strategy or what not send me a PM, I would be more than happy to discuss or help.

I might just do that when I am more familiar with the game.

I had a feeling mouse speed wouldnt be as important this time, makes me curious to see the matches on a professional level. I have yet to try out the Templars, as well as the Zerg race in general. Becoming rather familiar with the Terrans first though they were the race I never used in the original.

After every match I am being more and more impressed with how different the game is to the original, I dont get the complaint that its the same thing. Strategy wise, this is a different beast entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back