Spurs

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
With the San Antonio Spurs playing their 4th game in 5 nights (in Miami against the defending champs). Greg Poppovic decided to rest his top players Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Danny Green so he sent them home to rest instead of being in uniform or even in street clothes on the bench. The Spurs are also without Stephen Jackson and Kawhi Leonard due to injury. For those keeping score at home, that is their 5 top scorers and 6 of their top 8 out against the defending champs on the road. Led by Nando de Colo, Matt Bonner, Tiago Splitter, and Gary Neal, the Spurs have a 2 point lead with just over 2 minutes to play in the 4th.

And it takes a go ahead three from Ray Allen with 22 seconds left to take down the Spurs without their top 5 scorers and only 9 players in uniform. I'm beginning to think the Spurs can plug in any random group of players and as long as Poppovich is coaching they have a legitimate chance to beat anyone.

Popovich doesn't fuck around. He knows what it takes to win in the long haul, and made a real ballsy call here. I don't know if any other NBA coach would have the guts to do what he did and straight up send his best players home to get rested.

The fact that this squad nearly beat the Heat on the road in an incredible contest should tell you something about just how good the Spurs are. There's a reason they're perennially one of the best teams in the West.

Stern already said he'd fine the Spurs for not playing all those guys. You know, because it's their fault their schedule is so packed right now.

I love Stern as a commissioner but he oversteps his boundaries at times. This being a prime example.

It's ridiculous. There's no reason for any discipline to be handed down to the Spurs. The team made the decision they felt was best for their team.

Another reason I'll be happy to see Stern gone. One of the NBA's greatest ever coaches rests an aged core in the middle of a brutal stretch of schedule, and early in the season to boot, and he wants to sanction them? Idiotic.

Only questionable part was resting Green, given he's only 25. But he knows his players and his team better than anyone.

Stern simply trying to counter troll Pops trolling NBA/TNT by resting his starters on a prime-time game. Carry on.

I have no problem with Popovich benching the old guys. They need to make sure they are healthy for the entirety of the season, since the goal of every team is to win the championship.

However, I kinda have a problem with not using Green. He's 25. As long as he has no injury issues, there is no reason he can't complete that road trip and play in this game.

Ever see the lineup card Pop turned in last year, stating Duncan wasn't playing the game, stating "old" as the reason? Hilarious.

As far as last night, I have no problem with it. He's a great coach who knows what he's doing. And the almighty Stern has no leg to stand on if he's going to try and fine them. It's not like they were tanking a losing season for a better lottery drawing.

It's ridiculous. There's no reason for any discipline to be handed down to the Spurs. The team made the decision they felt was best for their team.

I disagree. Fans pay big money to see these games, sometimes traveling quite some distance to do so, costing even more money again. They do so expecting to see the elite players, not the benchwarmers. If someone is injured, that's all you can do about it, but to consciously choose to not play the guys and not even accompany the team is wrong.

How would you feel if you planned a vacation in Florida, largely to see this game, and spent all that money to fly from Utah to Florida, bought the tickets, rented a car, hotel, etc., only to find out when you got there that no one you wanted to see was even there?

The league expects their elite to be there for the fans. I think Stern made the right call here.

Anyone know the amount of the fine? I imagine it will be a pittance and the organization will pick up the bill.

If Stern wants to really punish the Spurs he needs to block one of their trades or free agent signings.

I disagree. Fans pay big money to see these games, sometimes traveling quite some distance to do so, costing even more money again. They do so expecting to see the elite players, not the benchwarmers. If someone is injured, that's all you can do about it, but to consciously choose to not play the guys and not even accompany the team is wrong.

How would you feel if you planned a vacation in Florida, largely to see this game, and spent all that money to fly from Utah to Florida, bought the tickets, rented a car, hotel, etc., only to find out when you got there that no one you wanted to see was even there?

The league expects their elite to be there for the fans. I think Stern made the right call here.

I thought fans were supposed to support their teams as a whole?

The latest fan vote I saw shows most of the country agreed with Pop. And for good reason. His core players are all old in basketball age. And no matter what he does, he's not going to please everyone. What's more important, sit his starters for a meaningless regular season game, or play them and risk injury/overwork/etc and hurt your playoff/Championship chances? It's not even close. And you can't even argue the quality of the game because the Spurs damn near won it.

Furthermore, Poppovich broke absolutely NO rules. Like I said, the almighty Stern has no leg to stand on.

Would you buy a ticket to Wrestlemania to watch a main-event of Primo vs. Tyler Reks?

We-ell, yeah I get that, I mean, if I went to watch Real Madrid a few years ago and Zidane wasnt playing I'd be gutted, but it doesnt even sound like it was a tactically bad decision, sounds more like the older guys were rested in order to give new names some big game experience for when they take over from them, which is a perfectly organic part of say, football (World football, not American, although they probably do it in American) which sometimes as a fan you have to accept, plus its interesting to see players for the future. Like when Paul Scholes put on his first Manchester United jersey.

At the end of the day, the teams are the selling point right? They're what garner the support. Whereas in Wrestling the individual Wrestlers are the selling point.

I hate the bastards, glad AVB is running them to the ground.

Pop's trying to win a championship, not please the fans. I understand that some folks may have paid good money to see this game, but there's still nothing wrong with what Popovich did. He's got an old core, had four games in five nights, and felt he needed to rest them to have a chance to win in the long run.

When you buy tickets to a game, nobody is promising you that your favorite players will be there. While it would definitely sting a little to not see your favorite players, I'd assume a true fan would understand their team's choice to rest their players.

Want to know what's really hilarious? Prior to this event, the NBA could not have possibly cared any less about the Spurs. In fact, I'm fairly certain David Stern and the rest of the NBA brass hate the Spurs, with a passion. That's right - the Spurs, the team that does nothing but win, and has won several titles. They aren't a big enough draw, aren't in a sexy enough market (even though it's a huge market), etc.

If any entity hates the Spurs more than the NBA itself, it's ESPN. They would completely ignore its existence if possible. Now, they can't shut up about them.

In short, both can fuck off. Go Spurs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back