Sport 'traditions' that annoy you

You're right. I am stuck on the method of winning, because it matters. I think so, and so does the NHL, it's Board of Governors and it's Owners, else wise the decision to institute the ROW stipulation would never have taken place.

Fact is, how a team wins matters, not just how many wins they have.

As I just noted, the playoffs are continuous OT, which means any and all plays that result in a win (minus the rare penalty shot, which is awarded in only the most extreme of scoring potential circumstances) comes by means of team effort, not individual, be it goaltender or scorer.

There absolutely should be a distinction between wins/losses recorded in regulation/OT or shootout, and this isn't even the only case of it.

Brodeur has 600+ wins in his career. Wanna know how many came via shootout where they'd have been registered as a tie in the old days?

You're right. I am stuck on the method of winning, because it matters. I think so, and so does the NHL, it's Board of Governors and it's Owners, else wise the decision to institute the ROW stipulation would never have taken place.

Fact is, how a team wins matters, not just how many wins they have.

As I just noted, the playoffs are continuous OT, which means any and all plays that result in a win (minus the rare penalty shot, which is awarded in only the most extreme of scoring potential circumstances) comes by means of team effort, not individual, be it goaltender or scorer.

There absolutely should be a distinction between wins/losses recorded in regulation/OT or shootout, and this isn't even the only case of it.

Brodeur has 600+ wins in his career. Wanna know how many came via shootout where they'd have been registered as a tie in the old days?

And a team can win a baseball game in the bottom of an extra inning by a single player hitting a homerun. No team effort, just one player, hitting one pitch. The rest of the team at bat is in the dugout, and 8 of the 9 players in the field just stood there. The only player on defense that was involved was the pitcher. Still counts the same.

I don't care about Brodeur's wins, because they are completely irrelevant. The rules back then were the rules back then, and the rules now are the rules now. A lot of Hall of Fame NBA players would have higher career point totals had the NBA had a 3-point line back when they played too...but they didn't, so they don't get any credit for hypotheticals either.

And a team can win a baseball game in the bottom of an extra inning by a single player hitting a homerun. No team effort, just one player, hitting one pitch. The rest of the team at bat is in the dugout, and 8 of the 9 players in the field just stood there. The only player on defense that was involved was the pitcher. Still counts the same.

I don't care about Brodeur's wins, because they are completely irrelevant. The rules back then were the rules back then, and the rules now are the rules now. A lot of Hall of Fame NBA players would have higher career point totals had the NBA had a 3-point line back when they played too...but they didn't, so they don't get any credit for hypotheticals either.

Apples and oranges. Baseball is played exactly that way, so a home run being hit by a single player off a single pitch is part of the way the game is naturally played. It's why it's called sudden death. It's the equivalent to a guy scoring on a break-away in overtime in hockey.

Again, they are no irrelevant. They may be irrelevant to you, but they're not to the NHL, it's BOG or Owners, and certainly not to the record-keepers, who've been petitioned to include an asterisk next to his name regarding all his record-breaking wins because of the influence of the shootout that eliminated ties from the game, and as such artificially inflated the number of "wins" the team earned because of it.

I get it. You are upset that your divisional rivals are seeded above you, but objectivity is critical here.

Another thing that annoys me is seeding in the playoffs. Particularly in the NFL, NBA, and NHL. I don't mind that all division winners make the playoffs but the seeding should be based on record. In the NFL this past season the Denver Broncos went 8-8 which was the worst record of all NFL playoff teams. They were rewarded for their efforts with the 4 seed and a home playoff game against a Steelers team that went 12-4 and were tied for the second best record in the AFC.

In the NBA right now the Boston Celtics have the 4 seed (which gives them home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs) while the 5 and 6 seeds each have two more victories. In the NHL's Eastern Conference the Bruins have the 2 seed but have less points then the 4 and 5 seeds. The 3 seed in the East has less points then the 4, 5, and 6 seeds. The 3 seed in the West also has less points then the 4, 5, and 6 seeds.

Another thing that annoys me is seeding in the playoffs. Particularly in the NFL, NBA, and NHL. I don't mind that all division winners make the playoffs but the seeding should be based on record. In the NFL this past season the Denver Broncos went 8-8 which was the worst record of all NFL playoff teams. They were rewarded for their efforts with the 4 seed and a home playoff game against a Steelers team that went 12-4 and were tied for the second best record in the AFC.

In the NBA right now the Boston Celtics have the 4 seed (which gives them home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs) while the 5 and 6 seeds each have two more victories. In the NHL's Eastern Conference the Bruins have the 2 seed but have less points then the 4 and 5 seeds. The 3 seed in the East has less points then the 4, 5, and 6 seeds. The 3 seed in the West also has less points then the 4, 5, and 6 seeds.

That much I agree with. I like the idea that divisional leaders are awarded a spot, but it needs to be congruent with the mathematics of the situation. There's no reason the Penguins, with 100+ points should be sitting behind the Panthers who are a good 10 points "behind" them.

Apples and oranges. Baseball is played exactly that way, so a home run being hit by a single player off a single pitch is part of the way the game is naturally played. It's why it's called sudden death. It's the equivalent to a guy scoring on a break-away in overtime in hockey.

Again, they are no irrelevant. They may be irrelevant to you, but they're not to the NHL, it's BOG or Owners, and certainly not to the record-keepers, who've been petitioned to include an asterisk next to his name regarding all his record-breaking wins because of the influence of the shootout that eliminated ties from the game, and as such artificially inflated the number of "wins" the team earned because of it.

I get it. You are upset that your divisional rivals are seeded above you, but objectivity is critical here.

No, the fact that it involves the Red Wings is purely coincidental. Convenient for my argument, but entirely coincidence. This is hardly the first time I have spoken up against the NHL points system, nor am I the only one to do so.

me said:
With the point system the NHL uses, 20-0-62/102 points (.243%) is a better record than 50-32-0/100 points (.609), so a tiebreaker wouldn't even come in to play if the two teams were fighting for the same playoff spot.

This logic still applies, regardless of the Red Wings positioning. The Red Wings situation is only a real life example of this situation happening, albeit to a much smaller degree.

The fact is, there is absolutely no logical defense to a system that would allow a team with 20 total wins to be considered better than a team with 50 wins...and yet, in NHL logic, were those records real, that is exactly what would have to happen. This is an extreme example...yet it is within the possible outcomes per NHL rules. Losing 62 times in OT is considered the equivalent of 31 wins, and it's ridiculous.

That much I agree with. I like the idea that divisional leaders are awarded a spot, but it needs to be congruent with the mathematics of the situation. There's no reason the Penguins, with 100+ points should be sitting behind the Panthers who are a good 10 points "behind" them.

So are you trying to say that they should just do away with seeding once they get to the playoffs which could mean that a division winner may have to play their first playoff series on the road?

If a division winner is worse then a non division winner then they definitely should be playing on the road. The Denver Broncos should not have gotten a home playoff game, if the playoffs started today then the Celtics shouldn't get home court advantage in the first round, and the Florida Panthers certainly don't deserve home ice advantage this year.

The "tradition" I can't stand is the possession arrow in college hoops. It's a pointless rule and it's extremely unfair. If you know the arrow is in your favor, all you have to do is get a tie up (not even steal or have possession of the ball) and you get the ball.

There is no justification for doing it other than "tradition." Some people say that doing a jump ball is too dangerous but give me a break. They do it in the NBA and no one gets hurt. It's one of those stupid traditions that they're keeping around just to be different from the NBA.

This logic still applies, regardless of the Red Wings positioning. The Red Wings situation is only a real life example of this situation happening, albeit to a much smaller degree.

The fact is, there is absolutely no logical defense to a system that would allow a team with 20 total wins to be considered better than a team with 50 wins...and yet, in NHL logic, were those records real, that is exactly what would have to happen. This is an extreme example...yet it is within the possible outcomes per NHL rules. Losing 62 times in OT is considered the equivalent of 31 wins, and it's ridiculous.

I'm confused…

First you say that there should be no differentiation between Regulation/OT wins and shootout wins, and now you are saying it's ridiculous that shootout wins influence playoff ranking?

Which is it?

So are you trying to say that they should just do away with seeding once they get to the playoffs which could mean that a division winner may have to play their first playoff series on the road?

Basically, yes.

I think seeding should still exist, but it should be in numerical order.

That'd make this year's NHL Eastern Conference playoffs as such:

1. New York Rangers - 109
2. Pittsburgh Penguins - 104
3. Philadelphia Flyers - 101
4. Boston Bruins - 98 (ROW)
5. New Jersey Devils - 98
6. Ottawa Senators - 92 (ROW)
7. Florida Panthers - 92
8. Washington Capitals - 88​

Instead of what it is right now:

1. New York Rangers - 109
2. Boston Bruins - 98
3. Florida Panthers - 92

4. Pittsburgh Penguins - 104
5. Philadelphia Flyers - 101
6. New Jersey Devils - 98
7. Ottawa Senators - 92
8. Washington Capitals - 88​

There are two traditions which bother me in football (soccer).

The first is the pre-match handshake. Usually opponents shaking hands shows a sign of respect. But there have been situations when players choose not to shake hands due to personal disputes with opponents. Examples being John Terry and Wayne Bridge on numerous occasions, and most recent Luiz Suarez and Patrice Evra. This ritual reminds us of past incidents between players, when they can easily be forgotten. The tradition was abandonded when QPR faced Chelsea in the FA Cup, due to a race issue between Anton Ferdinad and John Terry.

The second is the English leagues being without a winter-break. Leagues across Europe all have winter breaks, but for all these years England are still without a winter-break. It is crazy to think football is played the day after Christmas. Not only should players enjoy Chritmas with their familys instead of training. But the conditions of pitches are often destroyed due to snow. Players also suffer from fatigue and could do with a break reducing chances of injury, and producing better quaility football for fans to watch.

I'm confused…

First you say that there should be no differentiation between Regulation/OT wins and shootout wins, and now you are saying it's ridiculous that shootout wins influence playoff ranking?

Which is it?

It's obvious that you are confused.

I didn't say OT wins would affect playoff standings, I said OT LOSSES did, because by losing in OT, you still are given a point. Why would OT wins matter? Both OT and regulation wins are worth 2 points under the current rules. The difference lies in points awarded to OT losses vs. regulation losses. I have a hard time believing that such a rabid hockey fan as yourself would be so ignorant of how the NHL points system works.

Under the current rules, 62 OT losses, regardless of whether the game goes to a shootout or not, is 62 points, as each team is awarded a point for simply not losing in regulation. 31 wins, regardless of if they occur in regulation, OT or a shootout, is worth 2 points.

31 wins x 2 points per win = 62 points.
62 OT losses x 1 point per loss = 62 points.

62 = 62.

With me so far? Good.

It's why 20-0-62 record would be 102 points under the current rules, while a record of 50-32-0, which is CLEARLY better, would be only 100 points.

If we stripped the points system completely away, which is what I want to do, meaning that instead of 3 columns in the standings, we only have 2, (Wins and Losses), 62 OT losses would no longer be worth the same amount as 31 wins. They would be worth nothing. A loss would be a loss, just like every other sport. 20-0-62 becomes 20-62, while 50-32-0 would be simply 50-32.

By stripping away the point system, the 50-32 team would be counted as better than the 20-62 team, as it should be, since they actually won 30 more games than the other team did. I don't think it's unreasonable to state that if one team wins 30 more games than another team playing the same sport, that they are clearly a better team, and that any system that could theoretically have a team with 30 less wins somehow finish higher in the standings is fundamentally flawed.

Baseball: Ground Rule Double

We all know what that is, it's when a ball bounces off the ground, over the wall. But seriously, I think it should go. Either that or change its ruling.

Instead of being an instant double when the ball bounces over a wall, call it deadball and continue the at-bat. Thus the hitter can re-attempt at getting a better hit instead of only getting to second base.

If you don't like the idea, then simply ignore it. It probably wouldn't work anyway.

Oh and one more thing about my sport, baseball:

GET RID OF THE DAMN DESIGNATED HITTER IN THE AL.

Who else is tired of this? AL pitchers can't hit anymre, and we will never again have a Babe Ruth because of the designated hitted! Just look at what happened to my Bucco's newly acquired guy Aj Burnett! He broke his damn eye because he didn't know how to bunt because he was in the AL where pitchers aren't permitted to hit at thier at-bat. The idea is dumb, the process is stupid, and DH hitters aren't usually that good. Pitchers, in my mind, should know how to bunt a ball so that when they do go to bat in a game they don't bunt the ball into their eye and break something!

Rant over, please continue.

Singing at a BaseBall game at the 7th inning stretch.
Why are we doing this again?? Why don’t we do it in the middle of the 5th inning instead?? Make it a half time show.

Baseball doesn't need a halftime show. It doesn't run on time and it would mess up the flow of the game. It's also done at the 7th inning because that is around the time when the vendors begin to close up.

Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions playing every Thanksgiving.
This is just annoying, especially if your favorite team is in the same division as the Cowboys or Lions. I’m an Eagles fan. It’s 2012. Rotate the schedule already!!

That is why they added an extra game in 2006. And it's not like the Eagles haven't been on Thanksgiving before.

Baseball: Ground Rule Double

We all know what that is, it's when a ball bounces off the ground, over the wall. But seriously, I think it should go. Either that or change its ruling.

Instead of being an instant double when the ball bounces over a wall, call it deadball and continue the at-bat. Thus the hitter can re-attempt at getting a better hit instead of only getting to second base.

If you don't like the idea, then simply ignore it. It probably wouldn't work anyway.

I gotta say, this sounds awful. What if the guy strikes out after going back? Then he costs his team potentially a big inning and an out. GRD is the appropriate amount.

Another 'tradition' that annoys me is having the closer come out in the 9th inning instead of the highest leverage situation. What's more important, having your best reliever get out of a 2 on, 0 out jam in the 7th, or taking out the bottom of the order in the 9th? Saves is another pointless stat, but that's for another day.

EDIT:
Oh and one more thing about my sport, baseball:

GET RID OF THE DAMN DESIGNATED HITTER IN THE AL.

Who else is tired of this? AL pitchers can't hit anymre, and we will never again have a Babe Ruth because of the designated hitted! Just look at what happened to my Bucco's newly acquired guy Aj Burnett! He broke his damn eye because he didn't know how to bunt because he was in the AL where pitchers aren't permitted to hit at thier at-bat. The idea is dumb, the process is stupid, and DH hitters aren't usually that good. Pitchers, in my mind, should know how to bunt a ball so that when they do go to bat in a game they don't bunt the ball into their eye and break something!

Rant over, please continue.

I'd actually have it the other way around. I don't wanna see Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Tim Lincecum, and some of the other great pitchers waste their time and increase their potential to injury by taking some BP and actually trying to hit the ball. They're paid to pitch, not hit. And DH hitters are MUCH better than pitchers hitting. Don't know where you pulled that thought from.

And Burnett just was one of those freak injuries. He knows how to hit. He used to pitch in the NL. It's not like its forgotten over a span of a few years.

I don't understand soccer players holding hands with little children when entering the pitch. It's like FIFA are putting small children in the way of these guys from fighting.

It would more interesting if they walked out holding hands with their wives, girlfriends, mistresses and same-sex domestic life partners.

Ill talk about rule changes some other time, but if theres one sports tradition that i absolutely cannot stand is, when those montreal fans sing that stupid Ole, ole, ole song. god damn that pisses me off. And its not only cause i hate that habs cause im obviously a leafs fans, i especially hated it when GSP fought serra the 2nd time and thats all you could hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back