• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Songs everyone recognizes

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
What are some songs that everyone recognizes, even if they are not a fan of that style of music. I'm not asking for "the best" or your favorite, but I'm asking for songs that if you played in a crowd of 300 people of a mix of cultures, more than half of them would recognize the song and probably the artist. I'll give some examples:

[YOUTUBE]nMPmGiuhlMg[/YOUTUBE]

Arguably the most recognizable song in country music history, this song has major crossover appeal. To give anecdotal evidence, even my dad, who basically hates all things country music, likes this song. He's told me a couple of times it's the only country song he can stand and he likes it.

[YOUTUBE]H9nPf7w7pDI[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry, Dolly, but while you may have originally created it, this song will always be tied and remembered to Whitney Houston and her much more famous cover.

I could come up with more, but this is a good start. What all do you guys have?

[YOUTUBE]i6rPEpoX0ZA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bpBP9dALcWw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]6U_hRJHc3eA[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe I am showing my regional-ness again.

Oh, and this song of course.

[YOUTUBE]Jlr9rg_XQCQ[/YOUTUBE]

Oh, Arizona. :p

Good call...definitely a different direction than what I was thinking, but so very true.

[YOUTUBE]wx-8_GI4d2c[/YOUTUBE]

Umm I truly only reconized (from title) SSC's and songs.

[YOUTUBE]5I-SbwCHJ80[/YOUTUBE]

You need to get out more. Good pick on the song though. And anyone who didn't know it before, certainly do now with Glee.

Here you go, a guitar riff everyone recognize (even though most people don't know what the song's called):

[YOUTUBE]9f7LwuVF8Oo[/YOUTUBE]​

It amazes me how many people don't know the name and band of that song.

Good call...definitely a different direction than what I was thinking, but so very true.
I was thinking songs on a worldwide level, and all the modern stuff I kept thinking that old people in other continents wouldn't know, and so I went with something pretty much everyone in a non 3rd world country would know (at least they know the first 5 seconds of).

Here's another one:
[youtube]PEpcjiT1L9g[/youtube]
The singer (like the symphony performing my last one) isn't important. The song/composer/etc is pretty much known all over.

now for some popular music choices. Maybe not as known worldwide, bu nationally definitely.
[youtube]eWNykOk2ckE[/youtube]
[youtube]-Du-CWASm20[/youtube]

Man, when Titanic was out (which pretty much lasted nearly a year), this was the only fucking song you heard:

[YOUTUBE]zmbw8OycJrE[/YOUTUBE]

I don't think any song in history has represented a movie on such a wide scale like that one did.

I think that three of Linkin Park's songs are recognized by almost anyone from any country. I am obviously talking about "Pushing me Away", "In the End" and "Somewhere I Belong". I think that maybe "Numb" also deserves to be on that list.

Some other songs:

Three Doors Down: Here Without You
[YOUTUBE]kPBzTxZQG5Q[/YOUTUBE]

GreenDay: Boulevard of Broken Dreams
[YOUTUBE]gWNRUVMboq4[/YOUTUBE]

Beatles: I want to hold your hand
[YOUTUBE]MKHFUKZ-IXE[/YOUTUBE]

Also, nice choice JMT. Celine Dion's song was a rage and one of the major reasons for Titanic's success.

[YOUTUBE]8BRrCL4u1Nw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Q0PHWKRFgZ0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]p47fEXGabaY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]9JD_TwmK9QY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]MiAxiGZKpGQ[/YOUTUBE]

Another one:

Bryan Adams- Summer of 69

[YOUTUBE]eFjjO_lhf9c[/YOUTUBE]

This is has probably been played in every college around the world.

I can not believe I'm about to post this, but how the hell has no one put it yet?

You want forever embedded songs in your brain? None worse, yet more widely known than...

[youtube]sN62PAKoBfE[/youtube]

EDIT: And, yes, Alberto IS related! (not likely though)

Also, this may not be famous or forever remembered; but dammit if it doesn't wanna make me cry every time I hear it. Saddest music I've ever heard.

[youtube]2Hre5fkdq-0[/youtube]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back