So Hulk Hogan is back in WWE, just what is it about Hulkamania?

lowandmighty

lowandmightyer
Hulk Hogan returned to WWE this past Raw and once again he returned to a thunderous standing ovation from the crowd chanting his name and had a positive reaction to everything he said.

I was a Hogan fan back in the day but the last few years I was seriously over him and thought he had overstayed his welcome.
However once again I found myself getting goosebumps watching his return to WWE and I want to hear from Hogan fans on why you like him.

So the question is why are Hulk Hogan's returns so full of positive energy every time when a huge contingent of wrestling fans especially in the IWC hate his guts?

What is it about Hulkamania that makes you smile? He doesn't seem to do anything that great but still has always had an energy, sort of like an aura that nobody else possesses.

I can't quite put my finger on it so I want to hear from all the true Hulkamaniacs or anyone in the know, what is it exactly that makes Hulk Hogan and Hulkamania special?

It's simple acknowledgement to me. He's actually a rather ridiculous gimmicky character these days in you think about it. But it's all about paying homage and sharing a communal (almost religious) experience amongst us fans. No matter what went down in the past.

You can go nuts for Daniel Bryan, you can boo Batista, you can give Cena his typical mixed reaction, you can hijack the Royal Rumble pay-per-view, but the Hulkster should always have a home here, and pay it forward now that he's officially out of active competition.

HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN has always known how to make fans feel a part of the show. As if he was truly doing it for them and if their cheers truly brought him to victory. Unlike guys like Daniel Bryan who needs some simple catch phrase (and a leader to tell them when to chant it) to make them feel a part of the show, HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN'S very actions in the ring controlled the fans' emotions making them feel happy, scared, suspenseful etc... all of which helped to suspend belief and become engulfed in the story. By the time he would make his trademark comeback, the fans had been taken on such an emotional roller coaster that all the energy came out to a glorious climax as we cheered the HULKSTER to victory. In short, his matches were always FUN.

HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN has always been the master at drawing energy from the crowd and crowd energy is the secret that truly makes any live event exciting.

hulk hogan is the wwe. or the wwf for us old school fans. go up to anyone over the age of 25 and say wwf, and they will say hulk hogan.

What I have learned in my career is that no one man is as big or bigger than the company he or she works for. That includes Hogan, sure he was at the forefront of the WWF for a generation but time passes and we the company can survive without him.

It's actually insane to think that the guy has been getting monster pops for 30 years now. I've never been a huge fan of Hulk Hogan but I was of Hollywood Hogan so I can understand it. He knows how to work a crowd better than any wrestler ever, that includes Austin, The Rock, Flair or whoever you want to throw in to the mix. Couple that with the fact that he is as big a part of WWE's success story as Vince and I guess him returning home will still get a monster pop regardless of when he comes out.

Seeing Hulk Hogan is the maximum bit of nostalgia possible for WWE fans of a certain age. If you grew up in the era of Hogan being THE guy, then of course you are going to love seeing your hero. Hogan meant everything to wrestling fans in the 80s- he was the main reason why the business became so popular, everything he touched turned to gold and made the WWE the powerhouse it is today.

For alot of wrestling fans, HOGAN IS WRESTLING. He made them a fan of the business, and they just love the guy. The Rock and Stone Cold will receive similar pops if they come back for the odd appearance in 10-15 years, from fans who grew up on them in the Attitude Era, but for now Hulkamania is still running wild brother!

I hate Terry Bollea's guts. His daughter is a **** and his son is a no-good bum who ruined a fucking US army guy's life because his rich daddy could afford his spoilt brat of a son a fucking sports car.

As far as my "unbiased opinion", Hulk Hogan can do NOTHING for wrestling, NOTHING to make a show more entertaining , or cannot bring any damn thing to the table. Hulk Hogan is swimming in a pool of others' hard work, sweat and perserverance. Hulk Hogan used steroids and shit to create is superb body, he was a household name decades ago. But essentially, HH has been taking much more from Wrestling than he ever gave since 1994. (Ask Ric Flair, Mark Madden).
Today, Hogan is back for yet another few easy paychecks he gets for flashing his aged grandpa muscles and saying "Brother" and "Hulkamania" for a few times. This man should have died the worst death ever and is an abomination to Wrestling. I can't wait for Vince Mcmahon to utilize his useless old ass in whatever ways he can before uttering the words "Your FIRED".

HH is the sort of selfish leech that'll pander to you and lick anyone's ASS as long as he's getting paid for it. Once you can't pay him anymore or do him any good, he'll start the process all over again with someone else while defecating on you. (Ask Dixie Carter, and former Mrs. Terry Bollea)
I hate his damn guts. Hulk Hogan should be killed. I wish I could spit on his damn face.

I hate Terry Bollea's guts. His daughter is a **** and his son is a no-good bum who ruined a fucking US army guy's life because his rich daddy could afford his spoilt brat of a son a fucking sports car.

As far as my "unbiased opinion", Hulk Hogan can do NOTHING for wrestling, NOTHING to make a show more entertaining , or cannot bring any damn thing to the table. Hulk Hogan is swimming in a pool of others' hard work, sweat and perserverance. Hulk Hogan used steroids and shit to create is superb body, he was a household name decades ago. But essentially, HH has been taking much more from Wrestling than he ever gave since 1994. (Ask Ric Flair, Mark Madden).
Today, Hogan is back for yet another few easy paychecks he gets for flashing his aged grandpa muscles and saying "Brother" and "Hulkamania" for a few times. This man should have died the worst death ever and is an abomination to Wrestling. I can't wait for Vince Mcmahon to utilize his useless old ass in whatever ways he can before uttering the words "Your FIRED".

HH is the sort of selfish leech that'll pander to you and lick anyone's ASS as long as he's getting paid for it. Once you can't pay him anymore or do him any good, he'll start the process all over again with someone else while defecating on you. (Ask Dixie Carter, and former Mrs. Terry Bollea)
I hate his damn guts. Hulk Hogan should be killed. I wish I could spit on his damn face.

Wow you would think you grew up beside him and his entire life, when in reality you dont have any idea what you are talking about. Seriously grow up, since 1994? Wow, that would eliminate the rest of his wcw face run, nwo, wwe returns and feuds, Rock, Vince, Undertaker, Orton, and of course his most recent 4 year run with TNA. (Ask Ric Flair, Mark Madden). Mark Madden? Irrelevant source for anything! Ric Flair will NOT say this. If Flair felt this way he wouldn't have toured and partnered with him as late as 2009. What happen to Nicks friend was an unfortunate accident that happen during a felony. Nicks friend was probably a racer as well so I'm sure he wouldn't slap the blame on Nick.

I for one love Hogan for the same reason I love most wrestlers. They have sacrificed so much and earned their stripes! They deserve the love and respect I give them for providing me with a such a great business and historical moments. The older the wrestler, the more respect he deserves. A lot of old technique gets lost as the business evolves and adapts. These vets remember the original ways of doing things and for that alone hold some value to most companies!

Wow...Tell us how you really feel!

I think that last night was a big indication of what Hulk's legacy has become. He's overstayed his welcome and is played out. BUT he's a legend nonetheless and I would actually be upset not to see him at a Wrestlemania anniversary as long as he's able to physically make it.

He's far from a perfect man but from what I can see, he's only made decisions that he thought were best for himself and the product. He may have been wrong a few times but he always cared enough to try.

It's simple acknowledgement to me. He's actually a rather ridiculous gimmicky character these days in you think about it. But it's all about paying homage and sharing a communal (almost religious) experience amongst us fans. No matter what went down in the past.

You can go nuts for Daniel Bryan, you can boo Batista, you can give Cena his typical mixed reaction, you can hijack the Royal Rumble pay-per-view, but the Hulkster should always have a home here, and pay it forward now that he's officially out of active competition.

Yeah I think that probably sums it up. The reaction he gets is recognition and appreciation from us fans for what he did for wrestling.

I think thats whats special about Hulkamania, that it was part of the fire that sparked the boom in wrestling.

Lot's of the fans cheering him are not necessarily Hogan fans but fans of what Hogan made possible.

I went easy on you the last post, and I think you're just pulling more of the same shite looking for attention, all well and good. I've got some scraps that I can send the way to feed your inner troll, you dick.

For one thing, I nor do I think any others are blown away by the fact that you name dropped Hogan by his "Christian Name" to make your point about your hatred of him. It makes everything else you have to say just so laughable.

Continuing on, hate is a strong word for someone that I bet you don't even know outside of their persona. I'm not going to go into detail about his daughter, totally irrelevant to this discussion.

However, the passenger in the car with Hogan's son was a United States Marine, and not a soldier. Just to educate you, to further educate you, the Marine was of legal age to drink, someone who is of legal age to drink and has a responsibility as high as the expectations of the Marine Corps should have known better in regards to his part in this scenario. I should know, I myself was a Marine for eight years, even though I wasn't a fan of their micromanaging at most times, that's just how that game works.

Had John Graziano not been put into a vegetative state from that accident he would definitely be facing disciplinary action from the Uniform Code Of Military Justice, I can assure you of that.

Not exonerating Hogan's son, but he was only one side of that coin.

I would say that Monday proves your statement to be shite, the fans were wild for it, and Hogan is a nonthreat to others on the roster, he had a five minute in ring promo and wasn't seen for the rest of the regular broadcast.

Like others say, who really gives a shit about Mark Madden's sentiments? Also, Ric Flair has to have some sort of co-existence with Hogan, they've worked together quite a bit off and on, for the what's almost been a quarter of a century.

Again, you're working on getting a rise out of us, I gather that. Just the same, you still come off like a little prick. Wishing death on someone just makes you sound like a little cunt. Plain and simple.

He's earned his right to those paychecks for what he's done in the business, I can't say I've loved everything he's done but he's done a lot more good that outweighs any of the bad.

You've obviously got some major issues, you're probably someone not happy with yourself, suffering from major inadequacies. Wishing death on someone is always the thing that caps this shit off with me when it comes to people like you who piss and moan.

Do fuck off.

I don't hate Hulk Hogan. You'll always get a stigma from many so called MARKS that just because he is mainstream they don't like him. These are like the hipster fans of pro wrestling.

Hulk Hogan did build wrestling in many ways. He had a great gimmick, build, works the crowd, good mic skills, and brought the sport somewhat into main stream media with his movies and was a positive role model to many young kids during his early years (including me). Many of the wrestlers got the spillover effect of Hogan's success, because many events would not have been a big enough draw for them to showcase their talents without him.

With that said, there are is a large list on negatives with Hogan as well.

His move set and in-ring work sucks. Partly because his gimmick involved him being squashed and coming back he stayed on the receiving in most of the match, but even as a Heel that is supposed to dominate and showcase most of the match, you would be lucky to get a back body drop out of him he mostly choked people with his shirt or bandanna, and scratched them.

Because he contributed so much to wrestling, he also inflated his ego to the point of not letting new talent get over, and clouting the booking. He had no business winning the title from Yokozuna after Bret lost it at Wrestlemania, and this was because he thought he was too big for tag team wrestling. Which is fine, every wrestler has to protect their own reputation, but walking out and beating Yokozuna was disgusting. In WCW there was much the same. He dominated the title and main event scene from 1994 when he got there until 1999, by this time he was well past his prime.

His ego has a fairly expansive hit list.

Bret Hart-Wrestle mania 9.
Vader-Extremely entertaining gimmick, big bully red headed beast that was more agile than anyone his size. Hogan squashed him 3 matches in a row.
Macho Man-Hogan always overshadowed Macho Man.
Roddy Piper-Hogan ran shot over Piper in WCW, but I don't really care about Piper so it's not a big deal.
Sting-Instantly took a backseat once Hogan came to the company in 1994. Sting did not have another title run between when the International and WCW title was unified during his match with Flair, to 1997 Starrcade. Despite Sting's role model, baby face gimmick, and years of loyalty to WCW, Hogan comes in and instantly puts Sting on the back burner leaving him making tag team and US title runs. Hogan also refused to lose to Sting cleanly at Starrcade despite the immense anticipation leading up to the match.

Hogan didn't want to put Jeff Jarrett over at Bash at the Beach in 2000 and that's why you saw the whole fiasco with him pinning him with the boot.

Hogan killed the popular NWO black and white vs Woflpack Storyline with his Finger Poke of Doom.

Many would say Ed Leslie, but I feel like Hogan carried him where he wouldn't be that marketable otherwise without him.

Contrast Hogan with Flair. Obviously Flair did not do the same for the sport of wrestling that Hogan did. However, his name within wrestling was just as big if not more so. Despite having a career and reputation to protect, Flair pushed younger talent all the time (Sting, Steamboat, and many others). To my knowledge, Flair has never beaten Hogan on a major promotion. Flair has had several US title runs, while Hogan refused to win the tag team belts. Flair was under Hogan's boot so much in 1997 that he wrestle and lost to Syxx.

Obviously his personal life is in shambles between his finances, divorce, and family. I won't bring up the steroid issues just because so many wrestlers take them and still do, to question his integrity on that issue would be pointless.

I went easy on you the last post, and I think you're just pulling more of the same shite looking for attention, all well and good. I've got some scraps that I can send the way to feed your inner troll, you dick.

For one thing, I nor do I think any others are blown away by the fact that you name dropped Hogan by his "Christian Name" to make your point about your hatred of him. It makes everything else you have to say just so laughable.

Continuing on, hate is a strong word for someone that I bet you don't even know outside of their persona. I'm not going to go into detail about his daughter, totally irrelevant to this discussion.

However, the passenger in the car with Hogan's son was a United States Marine, and not a soldier. Just to educate you, to further educate you, the Marine was of legal age to drink, someone who is of legal age to drink and has a responsibility as high as the expectations of the Marine Corps should have known better in regards to his part in this scenario. I should know, I myself was a Marine for eight years, even though I wasn't a fan of their micromanaging at most times, that's just how that game works.

Had John Graziano not been put into a vegetative state from that accident he would definitely be facing disciplinary action from the Uniform Code Of Military Justice, I can assure you of that.

Not exonerating Hogan's son, but he was only one side of that coin.

I would say that Monday proves your statement to be shite, the fans were wild for it, and Hogan is a nonthreat to others on the roster, he had a five minute in ring promo and wasn't seen for the rest of the regular broadcast.

Like others say, who really gives a shit about Mark Madden's sentiments? Also, Ric Flair has to have some sort of co-existence with Hogan, they've worked together quite a bit off and on, for the what's almost been a quarter of a century.

Again, you're working on getting a rise out of us, I gather that. Just the same, you still come off like a little prick. Wishing death on someone just makes you sound like a little cunt. Plain and simple.

He's earned his right to those paychecks for what he's done in the business, I can't say I've loved everything he's done but he's done a lot more good that outweighs any of the bad.

You've obviously got some major issues, you're probably someone not happy with yourself, suffering from major inadequacies. Wishing death on someone is always the thing that caps this shit off with me when it comes to people like you who piss and moan.

Do fuck off.

I don't give a fuck what you think and what your opinion about me is. Your evaluation of my personal life or psychology hardly matters as you're no one competent nor entitled to make such assertions or reach such conclusions. Am I making judgements about you? Obviously not. You're the one who has an issue and needs to surmount it by trying to put a fellow IWC member down. You should be ashamed of yourself.
That being said, None of your logic matters and I'm firm in my belief that Hogan is a piece of shit, his children are pathetic and it's a matter of time before Vince Mcmahon utters the infamous words to the paycheck stealing spotlight-hogging aged steroid freak that is Hogan.

This paycheck-stealing grandpa ruined TNA in just 2 yrs alongwith his buddy Eric Bischoff. And now he won't even defecate or urinate on TNA name nor Dixie Carter and hopefully that btich Dixie learnt her lesson lol. And yet Grandpa Hogan wasn't satisfied. His son has ruined a US Marine's life, his daughter ruined TNA storylines like Bully Ray(lol) and now Grandpa Hogan wants to see yet another day of sunshine. Thankfully, Vince will utilize this abominable bastard in whatever little capacity, and then kick his butt out of the WWE, FOR GOOD.

Hogan is the biggest piece of shit in Wrestling. A lot of wrestlers know it. It's only because of his goddamn brand value because of what he did back in the 70s that people even invite him. He's no respectable man. Mark Madden knows it, I know it, but ignorant fanboys like you will refuse to acknowledge it.
The man ruins everything and every place he goes to. Even Warrior knows it and has been outspoken about it. So it makes the three of us Warrior, Madden and myself that refuse to respect that abominable creature. Look at what he did to his own wife. And the sextape? Haha. It's a joke you're getting upset because people HATE that man. Hulk Hogan-the person and the wreslter both do suck and there is nothing you can do about it .Deal with it.

renaissanceman2014 /

Dude, are you Warrior in disguise?

Having so much hate for a person, says more about you, then anyone else.

People like you need help, a psychiatrist, weirdo.

Anyway.

I agree with everybody else.

Hogan has that "aura" it's hard to describe it.

I dont know what it is, but he has it.

I think Tony Schivanoe describe it best in this video.

3:20 in the video.

Tony described Hulkamania at 3:20.

[YOUTUBE]0tYU3SHE-64[/YOUTUBE]

I don't give a fuck what you think and what your opinion about me is. Your evaluation of my personal life or psychology hardly matters as you're no one competent nor entitled to make such assertions or reach such conclusions. Am I making judgements about you? Obviously not. You're the one who has an issue and needs to surmount it by trying to put a fellow IWC member down. You should be ashamed of yourself.

The only thing I'm ashamed about is feeding a troll, however I am going to be honest with myself here and admit I am someone that is one petty SOB. But hey I gladly f'n admit it.

In case you didn't know you dickfaced peckerwood, the wrestling business is far from a sainthood. None of us here, at least objective people, that are major fans of Hogan like I myself will unabashedly admit, are going to say he is perfect. Well known people have a penchant for not being in line with their public images.

I look at it this way, if our world leaders have dirty laundry that often gets aired and their own dark sides to boot...how in the fuck can you expect people in a profession like professional wrestling to be saints, either? It's simple, you can't.

Guys like Steve Austin have beaten their wives, and live-in girlfriends, because getting busted the first time wasn't enough.

Blackjack Mulligan and his son Kendall Windham got busted for counterfeiting.

The Iron Sheik supposedly would plant drugs in other wrestler's bags whilst traveling due to fear of being flagged by security due to his substance abuse and drug test failure past.

Chris Benoit spend an entire weekend murdering his family and then doing himself in.

So yeah, I get it you weren't talking about and you've taken offense to my taking exception over something you said about Hogan, so be it.

Don't kid yourself and us by talking like a douchebag moralist.

Most fans here are well adjusted, level headed rational people that don't kid themselves that the people they're watching aren't perfect. But even with mistakes like steroid abuse, and that god awful sex tape I can forgive Hogan.

It's those strings of direct to home video celluloid atrocities that I have more an issue with in regards to the man.

And once more, while his son was more than irresponsible, there's no way in hell I'd ever let a 17 year old who's half in the bag drive me ANYWHERE in a vehicle. That young man, the Marine who you erroneously referred to as an Army member was 22 years old, he should have known better. That doesn't mean I am glad that happened, anytime a fellow service member is in harm's way, it's upsetting. But he had his part in it and should have remained accountable.

So like I said earlier, get off your fucking high horse.

As some have said about Hulk Hogan...

He has that "IT" factor. That Aura that captivates a person.

He is someone who gets your attention, whether you hate him or you like him.

And that Entrance Music doesn't do a Bad job in helping everything along,does it?

Cheers/ :);)

Most contributors (one exceptionally idiotic hater aside) have covered this very eloquently but I do feel I have to add one point that is missing so far - Hulkamania is the property of the WWF/e and that is why it has never really worked anywhere else.

Go back to WCW, fans adored Sting over him every day of the week and that is the true reason that 'Hollywood' was created. Temper that with when he returned to the WWF and the fans turned him back to Hulkamania from 'Hollywood'.

Fast forward to TNA and the same rhetoric was coming out. "Fans don't care about Hogan anymore!" Last night (again) shot that idea down.

Hogan and WWF/e "fit" and I really think it's as simple as that.

Wow you would think you grew up beside him and his entire life, when in reality you dont have any idea what you are talking about. Seriously grow up, since 1994? Wow, that would eliminate the rest of his wcw face run, nwo, wwe returns and feuds, Rock, Vince, Undertaker, Orton, and of course his most recent 4 year run with TNA. (Ask Ric Flair, Mark Madden). Mark Madden? Irrelevant source for anything! Ric Flair will NOT say this. If Flair felt this way he wouldn't have toured and partnered with him as late as 2009. What happen to Nicks friend was an unfortunate accident that happen during a felony. Nicks friend was probably a racer as well so I'm sure he wouldn't slap the blame on Nick.

I for one love Hogan for the same reason I love most wrestlers. They have sacrificed so much and earned their stripes! They deserve the love and respect I give them for providing me with a such a great business and historical moments. The older the wrestler, the more respect he deserves. A lot of old technique gets lost as the business evolves and adapts. These vets remember the original ways of doing things and for that alone hold some value to most companies!

OK, First, Mark Madden probably knows more about the wrestling industry than anyone else on this site, he's been covering it professionally since the 1980s (before many of you were even born!!!) and has worked in both WCW and WWE at different times. He is not irrelevant, if anything he has the most informed opinions of anyone on WrestleZone.

As for Flair's feelings on Hogan...Flair made it very clear that he thought Hogan was too self centered on his own character at the expense of the program and abused his "creative control", he said as much in his autobiography. Flair did add that while he didn't like how Hogan handled things regarding his character and matches he didn't blame him, pointing out that wrestlers do not have a union or very much negotiating ability and that much of your success comes from both the people you work with in the ring and the people who do the booking/writing, and you career can suffer if you are constantly booked poorly for whatever reason. He clearly makes a point that Hogan's "Creative Control" had bad side effects for WCW but given how easy it is to get lost in the shuffle he didn't blame Hogan for taking care of his brand, he blamed Eric Bischoff for not exercising enough control (saying Vince McMahon never would have ceded that much power to one performer). Flair also praised Hogan for his charity work, particularly the Make A Wish Foundation.

Fact is, much has been written by numerous sources over the years regarding Hogan and his "backstage politics", much of it basically saying the same thing. Much like Shawn Michaels, it gets hard to defend a lot of what you hear although I think Flair got it right in pointing out how damaged your brand can be depending on how you are booked (he should know).

Why does Hogan still get such a positive reaction ?? It's respect, regardless of anything else that may have happened Hogan was the focal point of the company during the single biggest boom period in the industry history, the "face of the company" during their national expansion and during the massive pop culture explosion of the industry as a whole. It's the same reason fans still pop huge every time Flair appears, his contributions to the industry's success in multiple decades is greater than almost anyone alive today, even if the act is a bit stale it's still entertaining, in part out of nostalgia and in part out of the recognition of how much they both did for the industry.

Personally Im not a Hogan fan. In the 1980s I was a huge wrestling fan but always found Hogan to be a boring character and in no way could he compete with Flair in the ring. Still, just because I wasn't a big fan of his doesn't mean I don't recognize how important a figure he is, both to the industry as a whole and WWE in particular.

Also, as far as the history of wrestling is concerned, Hogan should finish his career as an ambassador of WWE, same as Flair. Hogan cant wrestle anymore so he cant get the "Final Match" send off that Flair & HBK got, that Undertaker will likely get at some point, but he is a big enough star (fact is he is the biggest star all time) that he deserves to finish his on screen career in WWE.

I don't hate Hulk Hogan. You'll always get a stigma from many so called MARKS that just because he is mainstream they don't like him. These are like the hipster fans of pro wrestling.

With that said, there are is a large list on negatives with Hogan as well.

His ego has a fairly expansive hit list.

Contrast Hogan with Flair. Obviously Flair did not do the same for the sport of wrestling that Hogan did. However, his name within wrestling was just as big if not more so. Despite having a career and reputation to protect, Flair pushed younger talent all the time (Sting, Steamboat, and many others). To my knowledge, Flair has never beaten Hogan on a major promotion. Flair has had several US title runs, while Hogan refused to win the tag team belts. Flair was under Hogan's boot so much in 1997 that he wrestle and lost to Syxx.

Flair never beat Hogan cleanly but he did pin him on a Jan 1996 edition of WCW Nitro (Hogan's first pinfall loss in WCW) and he did beat him for the WCW Title in a NO DQ Cage Match in 1999. Hogan also submitted to the Figure Four at the Aug 1996 Clash Of Champions but the match was ruled a DQ due to interference by the NWO.

Randy Savage to my knowledge never got a pinfall win over Hogan

Most contributors (one exceptionally idiotic hater aside) have covered this very eloquently but I do feel I have to add one point that is missing so far - Hulkamania is the property of the WWF/e and that is why it has never really worked anywhere else.

Go back to WCW, fans adored Sting over him every day of the week and that is the true reason that 'Hollywood' was created. Temper that with when he returned to the WWF and the fans turned him back to Hulkamania from 'Hollywood'.

Fast forward to TNA and the same rhetoric was coming out. "Fans don't care about Hogan anymore!" Last night (again) shot that idea down.

Hogan and WWF/e "fit" and I really think it's as simple as that.

HulkaMania didn't work as well in WCW because that fan base was loyal to Flair and wanted him to win (at least not be stampeded). Also, by 1994 older fans who had enjoyed Hogan as a kid decade earlier ad grown bored with Hogan's character in comparison to Flair (a far more colorful character with the womanizing, drinking, "Dirtiest Player In The Game" , etc) and appreciated Brett Hart who was basically playing the Hogan character in WWE but with the twist of being a much better in ring performer. Hogan till drew ratings initially, he just didn't couldn't ignite the same "HulkaMania" magic playing to a fan base that for years was cheering for his competitor. Still, his heel turn was the catalyst for the NWO explosion and played a huge part in the storyline's success. Say what you will about Hogan's backstage politics but even the initial lackluster response to "Hulka-Mania" reborn didn't impede him from being a central figure in the wrestling boom period n the mid to late 90s.

As far as Hogan In TNA, Hogan's ability to draw is limited somewhat by the fact he cant wrestle anymore. Flair & Austin were huge draws too but today they don't spark the same level of interest simply because there is no payoff in he ring. Today John Cena is a bigger draw than Hogan, Flair, or Austin is right now but get any of those guys at or near their prime and they were all as big or bigger than Cena ever has been.

Also, TNA in general isn't cared for by wrestling fans. Most Fans I know didn't even know guys like Hogan, Flair, or Foley even appeared there, I wouldn't blame Hogan's lack of ratings success in TNA so much on him as it is a reflection that wrestling fans just don't watch TNA regardless. If CM Punk goes to TNA most fans wont even know he is there.

Hulk Hogan is the GOAT and a living symbol of the golden age of pro wrestling. People like me who grew up when Hulkamania was running wild are always going to mark out for Hogan. Even though I usually preferred the bad guys like Million Dollar Man, Macho Man, Ric Flair, Rick Rude, Sgt. Slaughter, etc., I enjoy seeing Hogan because it reminds me of an era when the product was at its best.

The only thing I'm ashamed about is feeding a troll, however I am going to be honest with myself here and admit I am someone that is one petty SOB. But hey I gladly f'n admit it.

In case you didn't know you dickfaced peckerwood, the wrestling business is far from a sainthood. None of us here, at least objective people, that are major fans of Hogan like I myself will unabashedly admit, are going to say he is perfect. Well known people have a penchant for not being in line with their public images.

I look at it this way, if our world leaders have dirty laundry that often gets aired and their own dark sides to boot...how in the fuck can you expect people in a profession like professional wrestling to be saints, either? It's simple, you can't.

Guys like Steve Austin have beaten their wives, and live-in girlfriends, because getting busted the first time wasn't enough.

Blackjack Mulligan and his son Kendall Windham got busted for counterfeiting.

The Iron Sheik supposedly would plant drugs in other wrestler's bags whilst traveling due to fear of being flagged by security due to his substance abuse and drug test failure past.

Chris Benoit spend an entire weekend murdering his family and then doing himself in.

So yeah, I get it you weren't talking about and you've taken offense to my taking exception over something you said about Hogan, so be it.

Don't kid yourself and us by talking like a douchebag moralist.

Most fans here are well adjusted, level headed rational people that don't kid themselves that the people they're watching aren't perfect. But even with mistakes like steroid abuse, and that god awful sex tape I can forgive Hogan.

It's those strings of direct to home video celluloid atrocities that I have more an issue with in regards to the man.

And once more, while his son was more than irresponsible, there's no way in hell I'd ever let a 17 year old who's half in the bag drive me ANYWHERE in a vehicle. That young man, the Marine who you erroneously referred to as an Army member was 22 years old, he should have known better. That doesn't mean I am glad that happened, anytime a fellow service member is in harm's way, it's upsetting. But he had his part in it and should have remained accountable.

So like I said earlier, get off your fucking high horse.

I am nobody to impose "morality" upon you IWC members, wrestling fans or wrestlers in general. I wouldn't be any less happier or sadder were half the world to burn to hell tommorow. I'm perfectly content where I am, who I am and who I aspire to be.

As for Hulk Hogan and the abomination that he represents, none of Chris Benoit, or Steve Austin ruined "wrestling" in the way that parasitic leech has. Warrior knows it, Mark Madden knows it, and I am the representitive of that sad truth where Warrior and Madden's voice cannot reach. Shame on you fans for even extolling the virtues of Terry Bollea-the same man who ruined TNA wrestling so much that it's sole face and a workhorse like AJ Styles couldn't even get a contract or the said money. Is Dixie Carter that much of a bankrupt sore now that Styles is gone? Where're all that paychecks which Styles deserved? Oh yes, in Terry Bollea's pockets.

Name ONE good thing resulting from his time in TNA ? Hulk Hogan is the biggest bastard in Wrestling, notwithstanding how morally degenerate and pathetic he is as a human being. Would stone cold involve his own daughter into TNA storylines? I almost feel bad for Dixie Carter and Bully Ray.

There are numerous known cases about how he ruined WCW during NWO's time and beyond. (Refer-Mark Madden's articles as he was an insider) This abomination of a human being should be held in contempt but instead you IWC bums want to extol him and disparage and impeach an honest person such as me, someone who'd never steal as much as $5 in the name of improving the "wrestling business". This bastard has probably looted millions of dollars from Dixie and now like that sycophantic chameleon is going to defecate on TNA while praising the WWE. Hogan should be killed.

What is it about Hulkamania that makes you smile? He doesn't seem to do anything that great but still has always had an energy, sort of like an aura that nobody else possesses.

Many of the folks on this forum are too young to remember Hulkamania, but they've been "treated" to numerous mentions of it on WWE programming over the years, even as Hogan was employed by rival wrestling companies. His era was huge and it's to WWE's credit that they keep the memory of it fresh. Those of us old enough to have lived it have our own memories of how big it was.......and I admit to having enjoyed it, even with the largely negative thoughts I have of Hogan now. There's no question that he was at the head of a genuine crossroads in the sports entertainment industry.

So, when he shows up on stage today, he looks essentially the same; simply an older version of what we saw in the 80's.....and it's fun to watch. Yes, Hogan takes too much credit for the success of the Hulkamania era; his statements over the years suggested things like: "I taught Vince McMahon the wrestling business, brotha!" and the implication was that he did it all himself, while the truth is that the company set the table for Hogan and he functioned as a great host for the party.

Still, when he shows up on WWE programming, who cares about any of that? He's back, doing the stuff we enjoyed seeing him do all those years ago. Nothing wrong with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back