• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Smackdown MVP for June 10th, 2011

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
I'm gonna be doing one of these every Friday I'm gonna choose an MVP for Smackdown that week. I'm not just gonna choose my favorite every week so I (with the help of JGlass & Dwayne_Jason) came up with a list of criteria I will use to choose the MVP.
Crowd Reaction (Basically what it says. The Reaction they get from the crowd)

Promo/Mic time (a good Promo coupled with a bunch of lackluster matches means that the MVP doesn't even have to be in a match, although it does help)

Quality of their match (Self explanatory. The better the quality the better a wrestler's chances)

How they handle their character (it can be through a Promo or pre match, during the match or after the match but if they stay in character and furthering it if they need to then their chances are better)
now with that out of the way, without further ado Smackdown MVP for June 10th, 2011 is none other than

Cody Rhodes
codyrey.jpg

Crowd Reaction: He got great heel heat as usual especially when he caused the DQ during the Dibiase/Cara match. The man might get the best crowd reaction out of any heel on Smackdown.

Promo/Mic time: His Promo in the locker room with Dibiase was A+ gold as usual. I haven't heard a bad promo fro Cody in a very long time.

Quality of their match: Cody and Dibiase go together like PB&J. He also works great opposite Daniel Bryan Sin Cara is the odd man out in this scenario but in no way was he any less then the other 3. The quality of this match was great.

How they handle their character: Cody didn't need to further his character but he handled it perfectly. His Promo was Grade A+ material and may have been my favorite part of the entire show.

Christian was a very close 2nd but the fact the wasn't in a match and he did the generic cost the face he's feuding with his match made me go with Cody instead.

feel free to Pick your own MVP and post in here. You can come up with your own Criteria or use mine if you want.

Cody Rhodes is an interesting pick, and a perfectly different one, but for me, it's Sheamus, with Randy Orton coming in at a close second.

Sheamus and Orton put on a heel of a match tonight, a ***1/2 ordeal in my book. The pacing was great, the psychology was good, and they put on some very impressive spots. Sheamus gets the nod from me because I liked his promo better than either of Randy's, and he's the one that took that vicious steel stair bump.

I would give it to Christian.

Cut a great heel promo. He turned the entire crowd on him, in a matter of seconds. Some credit should be given to Michael Cole (brilliant move bringing him in there, whoever thought of that deserves a raise). But, Christian proves, once again, how he's a much better, more interesting heel. As a face, I just didn't care. I never blamed him for it, he wasn't given much to do.

Second would a tie between Orton and Sheamus, and third goes to Trent Barreta for taking an amazing back bump. That's right -- a back bump takes third place.

I'm with Nick on this one. My pick is Christian. his promo was freaking fantastic and it showed just how good a heel he can be. Christian really has always excelled as a heel and I was iffy on the turn as Christian has been a great face, but he just proved he still has that heel style deep inside. I can't wait for Christian heel turn to continue and it has me itching for next week and what happens between him and Orton.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the Uso brothers. They showed some good things in the ring today and deserve some TV time. Clearly they didn't get chances to develop a character or mic time, but their ring work was fantastic tonight. If Slater and Gabriel still had the titles it would be a great way to get these guys more time and a potential title run.

I'm with Theo and Nick on this one. It is not just a case of this week though. Christian has been the MVP of Smackdown ever since he appeared on Smackdown with the World Heavyweight Championship belt after Extreme Rules. The story on Smackdown has been the story of Christian.

Christian turned a full blown heel on Smackdown after cutting a fantastic promo on the fans, Theodore Long and later, on Randy Orton. The use of Michael Cole, as Nick has mentioned already, was a nice touch. Content wise, it was not really an epic promo. It was a classic heel turn with the angry guy berating the fans for his misfortune but then hardly anything in this feud between Orton and Christian has been new, storyline wise. It is also an indication, though, that simple storylines with talented performers playing the central roles work better than complex stories most of the time.

So my MVP for the week is Christian for being the dominant story on Smackdown for, I think, the seventh consecutive week. I'd give the runners up trophy to Randall Keith Orton for putting up a great match and also doing his job well in the promo that Christian cut on him via the titatron. The Celtic Warrior gets the second runners up medal for putting up a good match.

This one has got to be Christian. But Cody Rhodes is an alright pick. Christian, I believe turned full fledged heel this time. He is more interesting as a heel. His peeps must be lovin' this heel turn!

I'm divided between Christian and Sheamus...

They were fantastic tonight, but Christian was freaking insane, he really managed to turn heel in a matter of seconds, a great heel turn.
I also loved the promo between him and Orton and the fact that he costed the match for Orton.
Sheamus was also fantastic, he won an incredible match against Orton, that is now making 4/5 stars matches every single week.
He had a great promo too, and he looks more relaxed now in front of the camera, a great improvement from the Celtic Warrior.
In terms of reaction Christian has it.
In terms of wrestling Sheamus won tonight.

I think that the OP had a strong argument about Cody Rhodes, but he wasn't near the main event quality story that we had last night...

So my final call is: Sheamus - he scored the first victory over Orton on SmackDown!!

Sheamus really is a terrific worker. I haven't seen a single match of his that I didn't enjoy. He works clean, in that he always seems to hit his spots and is always in position for his opponents to hit theirs. Give him a "situation" to work in (a storyline) and he always delivers. That's something that's been missing in past months with the way they've buried Sheamus (made me wonder who in the front office he pissed off). I love the way he's been inserted into the ongoing saga between Orton and Christian. His work last night was stellar and it's great he got the win over Randy, no matter how sullied.

But, you know what? I want to give last night's MVP to the girls. That A.J. vs Tamina match was terrific; so much better than the usual "hit a few spots and get out of the ring" diva match. Yes, the match was choreographed, but I had the feeling the girls were given a chance to work a little, too.

I have no idea who that tiny little thing A.J. is or where she came from, but she and Tamina put on a great show.

Christian. The way he made his heel turn was funny, playing someone who literally doesn't want to talk to the fans, and instead asks people to ask the questions for him. It's smart and I found it rather funny. He used Michael Cole who is one of the most over heels WWE have to make the fans dislike him that little bit more, and his microphone work was fantastic this week. Shows when you hand him the mic he'll come up big for you.

100% Christian vote for me, guy is the biggest thing currently on the brand.

I agree with FutureShock. It comes down to Christian and Sheamus who put on the most impressive performances of the evening. I will give my vote to Christian because was a little more impressive this week to me for his heel actions. It made me even more interested in where the feud goes from here.

First off, great thread idea. :)

Second, I am coming from way out of left field, but I am gonna dub the Usos are my MVP for the show. I've always felt sorry for the Usos because they came in and had some gawd awful matches with those fucking Hart kids. This lead to no one caring about either one of them. (That first promo was shit too btw)

But two weeks in the row, they proved that they can be some kick ass babyfaces. The crowd sorta gets into what they are doing (not bad considering how they have been booked in the last year). They show a genuine excitement and passion for what they are doing.. And who doesn't love to see Heath Slater get the ginger kicked out of him? I am glad that they are giving these guys a chance to shine because they are really fun to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back