• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SLC Punk

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
slc-punk.jpg

(SLC=Salt Lake City)

This is an Indy Comedy-Drama film starring Matthew Lillard and it really helped me remember why i became a punk in the first place about a half dozen years ago.

The plot is simple: Stevo (Matthew Lillard) and Heroin Bob (Michael Goorjian) are 2 punks living in SLC and they are both your typical punks except they like in Utah. the movie consists of them partying and pretty much living the punk lifestyle. Then Stevo meets a girl and starts to question his Punk beliefs. that's really all I can tell you with out giving up the ending so if you want to find out more rent the movie.

If you don't know what Punk is and want to find or just want to learn about the Punk Subculture I strongly urge you to rent this movie.

If you don't know what Punk is and want to find or just want to learn about the Punk Subculture I strongly urge you to rent this movie.

I actually wasn't a fan of this and I couldn't disagree more with this statement.

The best films out there about 'Punk Subcultures' are documentaries. American Hardcore, for example, is fantastic and really takes you in-depth about Punk Rock and its origins and what the genre is all about. And this is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of this particular music.

But yeah... not a fan of SLC Punk. I mean, it's better than garbage like Airheads, but at the same time... I don't think we'll ever see a good representation of the Punk Rock Genre that's fictionalized in film. At least, not any time soon. And SLC Punk was not an exception, in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of this movie, and do think it is great, but I'm with jmt here.

I actually wasn't a fan of this and I couldn't disagree more with this statement.

The best films out there about 'Punk Subcultures' are documentaries. American Hardcore, for example, is fantastic and really takes you in-depth about Punk Rock and its origins and what the genre is all about. And this is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of this particular music.

But yeah... not a fan of SLC Punk. I mean, it's better than garbage like Airheads, but at the same time... I don't think we'll ever see a good representation of the Punk Rock Genre that's fictionalized in film. At least, not any time soon. And SLC Punk was not an exception, in my opinion.

He sums it up best. The documentaries are far better for learning about punk, and the subculture, than this movie. Like almost any movie that is made about any subculture, it sensationalizes it, and takes every little detail to the extreme. While some of the extreme bits are funny (Devon Sawa envisioning Satan, Steve-O fighting on stage), they aren't typical of what punk is all about.

While I'd recommend watching this movie for entertainment value, I'd recommend American Hardcore for an education.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back