• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Six Sides - Forgotten?

ARLO

On A Break From Sig Requests
So just over a year ago when the Hogan era was ushered in, the decision was made to replace TNA's unique six-sided ring with a traditional four-sided one.
At the time there was a major uproar from TNA fans everywhere. Many felt it was what really set them apart from WWE.

However, a year has passed and everyone seems content with 4 sides.

Do you still miss the 6-sides?
Looking back, was it a good idea to change to 4-sides?
Will TNA ever revert to the 6-sided ring?

I'm glad they switched to 4 sides, which is what a real wrestling ring should be. 6 sides may have given TNA something to set them apart from other promotions, but it also made them look like a promotion that didn't honor the tradition of pro wrestling. Four sides is also a lot easier on the wrestlers because the ropes and ring have more give than a six sider. I saw somewhere that A.J. said he was hesitant to work in the 4 sided ring but quickly learned to like it because it was a lot easier on his body. I think TNA has benefited from the change because when new viewers tune in they see a familiar atmosphere and not some strange looking ring they aren't used to seeing. The 6 sided ring reminded me of something that would be used on a show like American Gladiators, not a pro wrestling show.

Ric-Flair.jpg

Fans complain about any change, they've gotten over it, and its now accepted.

I liked the 4 sides, I liked anything that Set TNA away from WWE(Not to say its overall a bad change).
X Division matches seemed more fast paced under 6 sides than inside normal wrestling rings.

I wonder if they still have the 6 sided ring, If they still have the equipment available to set it up, I could see a PPV, or special Retro-Impact where you see a 6 side setup for 1 night only. but I don't see them going back to it full time ever.

Every two weeks or so, we are treated to another Do you miss six-sides? thread. Is it coming back? Did it make TNA look unique?

I haven't jumped on the Hogan/Bischoff train much in the past year, but getting rid of that thing was a great move. Why? Because it was a gimmick, and it looked cheap. For months, I've heard people talk about how it improved match quality, when it didn't. I've heard it called original, which it wasn't. I've heard it called an alternative to the WWE, which is total crap.

The wrestling business seems to take a great deal of pride in its history. Four sides are the norm, and it really shouldn't matter. No one has convinced me 6 sides did anything to improve the product, so I still do not see the need for such a gimmick.

So no, I don't miss it. I hated the thing when they brought it in, and just thinking about it makes me angry. I know I probably shouldn't hate it as much as I do..but I do.

No, I don't miss the six sided ring because when I watch a wrestling match, as I'm sure everyone else does, I watch the wrestlers, not the ring itself so when I would watch it, it wouldn't even matter what shape it was because I would be too interested in what was happening in the ring to even care. There are some though as per the "We want six sides" chant the other week.

Yeah, I think it was a good idea. I think as far as presentation goes, when someone's doing a promo or a camera panning the crowd it just looks more professional. It wasn't that much of a huge benefit to them anyway, it wasn't helping them beat WWE at all so it's good they decided to go the more professional route on that aspect of their show.

Nope, not unless it's involved in some sort of stupid storyline where Fourtune wants the six sides back because it was a TNA original thing and has to beat Immortal to get it back.

I can't remember what was going on now but, a few weeks ago something was said in TNA and the crowd start chanting something to the extent of wanting the 6 sided ring.

I personally loved the 6 sided ring. It was different and something I thought set apart TNA from the alternative. I can see most of the responders reasoning, but I disagree. I think TNA should go back to it.

Hogan changed so much when he came to TNA. I always thought of TNA as being different. Not so conservative. Hogan just seems like the kind of person who things things need to be done a certain way. The old way.

TNA was new and exciting and Hogan ruined it. (TNA is still better than WWE, but that's a different topic).

i think that they are really missing out changing to 4 sides. they x division is really falling off the map. it was the main reason i liked watching tna. the high flying acrobatics are really entertaining. even though the 4 sides is more traditional, they 6 sides let tna stand out.

The six sided ring didn't really add much so whats the point? Better to go conventional so they could get conventional wrestling fans. We wrestling fans don't take to change very well so unless the six sided ring added a lot to the matches it really doesn't make a difference. The regular ring adds a sense of legitimacy to TNA whether the hardcore fans will admit to it or not.

I can't remember what was going on now but, a few weeks ago something was said in TNA and the crowd start chanting something to the extent of wanting the 6 sided ring.

I personally loved the 6 sided ring. It was different and something I thought set apart TNA from the alternative. I can see most of the responders reasoning, but I disagree. I think TNA should go back to it.

Hogan changed so much when he came to TNA. I always thought of TNA as being different. Not so conservative. Hogan just seems like the kind of person who things things need to be done a certain way. The old way.

TNA was new and exciting and Hogan ruined it. (TNA is still better than WWE, but that's a different topic).

Wow, Hogan ruined TNA? No. And TNA taking away the 6 sided ring had nothing to do with it being better then WWE, in your words.

It was a gimmick, like everyone else said. It was a gimmick on top of more gimmicks. Did the Ultimate X match change? No. Did the Cage match change? No. Why would we need 6 sides. 'Oh it made it soooo different from WWE, it changed the whole product'. Again...no. What was so different about TNA with the 6 sided ring then with the 4 sided ring, that actually had to do something with wrestling?

I agree with everything you said except I think WWE is better then TNA at the moment.

6 sides are what tna was founded on. Now I am a huge Hogan Mark but was pissed about the ring change. I still feel that tna can bring it back and still have that aspect part of their coulture. It was uniquie & TNA. Not like Hoagn is wrestling n e more. And why does flair have to bleed in every match?????????

it helped the high flyers. more room better moves. hogan didnt liek it cause he thought he had to wrestle. Once his body gave out evryone went along with it. If u remember TNA Wrestlers were upet about it but came ove just cause hoag wrestled.

Wow, Hogan ruined TNA? No. And TNA taking away the 6 sided ring had nothing to do with it being better then WWE, in your words.

It was a gimmick, like everyone else said. It was a gimmick on top of more gimmicks. Did the Ultimate X match change? No. Did the Cage match change? No. Why would we need 6 sides. 'Oh it made it soooo different from WWE, it changed the whole product'. Again...no. What was so different about TNA with the 6 sided ring then with the 4 sided ring, that actually had to do something with wrestling?

It made tna's own ring. did matches change?.............. no
Did the landscape?........ Yes
sometimes not about being different but changing the game.

I was a big fan of the ring but understand why they changed.
If they're keeping the shows going on the road, then it would be awesome to see the 6 sided ring periodically. And it would be great to see it used as a theme to Destination X. To celebrate what helped the company.
It creates a bigger environment for the Ultimate X match.

If I remember it was gotten rid of for the older guys having problems with it (Nash).
Its also smaller than a four sided ring.
Since the company has gotten younger and its something veterans have worked with before, its not a bad idea. Angle, Styles, Sting, Steiner.
Even the knockouts are familiar. Mickie James can adapt. And she could help put on a great match as she did on Impact in the cage.

It set the company apart but I don't feel it is necessary. I would welcome it back.

I don't miss it. It was a nice novelty but it also had its issues. for one the adaption factor. Whenever they get a new wrestler from the indies or wwe now you have an extra adjustment period to get used to working in the smaller, tauter, 6 sided ring. Can make for some awkward matches during the transition. 2ndly it really only helped the X Division sized wrestlers, the larger guys tended to look out of place in it like a parent in a kids desk at a PTA meeting. 3rdly the cage matches look less confusing. You all know how difficult it was to see the action from the outer cams during a 6 sides of steel match. Overall I think it was a good idea.

6 sides are what tna was founded on. Now I am a huge Hogan Mark but was pissed about the ring change. I still feel that tna can bring it back and still have that aspect part of their coulture. It was uniquie & TNA. Not like Hoagn is wrestling n e more. And why does flair have to bleed in every match?????????

Okay umm.. founded on? If I recall TNA started with 4 sides.
Unique to TNA? I could have sworn I have seen 6 sides in a AAA match before TNA. (Swore but I could be wrong)
6 sides reminds people of UFC.. then those people will wonder why are they not watching MMA instead? It seems like wrestling in general is trying to get away from reminding fans of MMA.

LOL I don't miss 6 sides it was a gimmick and it didn't fit everyone.. but 4 sides does seem to fit everyone.. so I am okay with that..

I always found it ironic that the people who say TNA tries too much to be like WWE also say that going to a 4-sided ring is a no-brainer, and makes them look like a 'real' wrestling company, like WWE. I enjoyed the difference, personally...made it look closer to the UFC octagon, and gave it a different feel. But overall no, it's not that big of a deal. It helped the X-division do some different stuff, but since they don't really stress the X-Division like they used to, that doesn't matter much.

Bah. Just like any big fuss the IWC has fabricated for the last God knows how many years, it went away in two weeks. If I remember correctly, half of this forum swore to never watch TNA after 10.10.10, yet here we are.

The six sided ring was a nice little gimmick. I can't lie, I liked that thing, and if TNA decides to bring it back - fine, if not - fine. It's really irrelevant. The only reason why I supported it was not the shape but the fact that it was just different from all the other wrestling companies.

However, if TNA is hellbent on showcasing its creativity with the form of their ring, but do not want no tarnish the holy/unholy unwritten pro wrestling rules, perhaps adding different mats for different events/pay-per-views is a step in the right direction. Have the logo on the mat or a flag of the country you're in (if they're out of the US). The little things.

Jesus Christ, let it go already! Seriously –*let it fuckin' go. Six sides is gone. Finished. It's over. It's NEVER COMING BACk. Get the fuck over it already.

It was a baseless gimmick that had no viable benefit to the company. Period. No question about it. People chime off about how it became a trademark for them, but that's just not the case. It was a carnival attraction that people wanted to see simply because they had never seen it before (unless they spent time in Mexico, or watching Mexican wrestling).

Four-sided rings have always been and will always be the traditional marker for professional wrestling, and I for one am glad TNA came around and returned to it (yes, they originated with a four-sided ring).

You want six sides again? Go watch old tape of TNA, otherwise let the last in the past (where it belongs) and move forward with the rest of us!

I know I'm posting extremely late in this thread, but thought I would post about the six-sided ring since Lockdown is coming up.

I personally like the four-sided ring, and I don't miss the six-sides at all. I think I remember hearing that most of the TNA roster is happier as well, since the ring-ropes don't have to be as taut as they were (when the ring had six sides).

The only thing I think I'm going to miss about the six-sided ring applies to the Lockdown PPV. I really enjoyed the "Six Sides of Steel" gimmick for the PPV, I thought it was one of the things that really made the PPV stand out.

I know it's not going to happen, but it would be great if TNA used the six-sided ring EXCLUSIVELY for the Lockdown PPV. It would be great if TNA dusted off the six-sided ring (and along with it, the six-sided cage) once a year, and only used it for the Lockdown PPV. Oh well, I know this is just a pipe-dream that will never happen. I mean, it's not like the quality of the matches will suffer because the cage only has four sides. It's Damn Real! already said it better than I could, or anyone else for that matter:

Originally Posted by It's Damn Real!
Jesus Christ, let it go already! Seriously –*let it fuckin' go. Six sides is gone. Finished. It's over. It's NEVER COMING BACk. Get the fuck over it already.

You want six sides again? Go watch old tape of TNA, otherwise let the last in the past (where it belongs) and move forward with the rest of us!

It was a baseless gimmick that had no viable benefit to the company. Period. No question about it. People chime off about how it became a trademark for them, but that's just not the case. It was a carnival attraction that people wanted to see simply because they had never seen it before (unless they spent time in Mexico, or watching Mexican wrestling).

Four-sided rings have always been and will always be the traditional marker for professional wrestling, and I for one am glad TNA came around and returned to it (yes, they originated with a four-sided ring).

THANK YOU. Nothing infuriates me more than the people whose immediate first reaction is 'Bring Back Six Sides!' like it is a fucking panacea for what currently ails TNA. Yeah, because the goddamn ring is going to give us longer matches, more sensical storylines and a champion who isn't either a) over 50 or b) wasted out of his fucking mind, right?

I started watching TNA in spite of the six sided ring, just like I watch TNA in spite of the idiots in the Impact Zone who are always trying to make themselves bigger than the show itself. It looked bush league, the camera angles were tough to follow and frankly they were never going to be treated like a 'big league' company until they got rid of it.

Now, I can see the potential for a gimmick down the line that has it brought back for a PPV, kind of like the double ring for War Games in WCW. But THAT IS IT.

Six Sides is dead & buried and TNA is better off for it.

Before Hogan and Bischoff "changed TNA forever, brother" I really enjoyed the six-sided ring. I thought it was pretty intesting and stood in stark ccontrast to what I was watching in the WWE.

Everything about TNA was different back then. It was an alternative instead of a copy. At that time TNA would bring in wrestlers from all over the world. Many of them from Mexico where A LOT of promotions big and small use six sides. Some came from Japan where they use six sides as well, but not as much as they do in Mexico.

The six sides were for a faster pace of wrestler and match. It was indy style were they would throw out 5 or 6 finishers each throughout the match. That is why the X-Division was so good, that is why the tag-teams were so good, that is why the main event scene was interesting.

But it's gone now. Along with the quickness. Along with the style. All gone in favor of taking TNA and pushing it in the direction that it never belonged in the first place. No longer the alternative to mainstream pro-wrestling.

It's not about the tradition of pro-wrestling. That's fucking bullshit and just said by fuckheads on these forums to make them seem like they know more about the business than those actually in it. Besides, more than half of these fools grew up with wrestling in the Attitude Era; meaning they know absolute jackfuckingshit about traditional wrestling. That is a fact I would put my entire bank account on.

Bring the six sides back? Not until Hogan and Bischoff get the fuck out. When will they get the fuck out? Right after they bury this once promising promotion in the ground.

The six sides will not be forgotten. They are a reminder of when TNA had its own identity.

Does it really matter? No. Yes six sides made it different at the time, but now it doesn't change anything. The guys/girls still have to wrestle, they still have to do the storylines no matter what the ring looks like.

I've not missed the six-sided ring in the slightest. If it wasn't for threads like this then I'd have forgotten about it completely. It added nothing to the company.

However, some of the fans in the Impact Zone seem to think this is still a big thing. When AJ cut the promo on Eric a few weeks ago when Fortune had turned face, the crowd burst into "We want six sides!" and all that clapping shit. Well get on this, you get in for free and you don't own the fucking company. You have no say at all, so shut up and at least try to get into the matches. The fans in there add even less to the company than the six-sided ring used to. Next time I'm sat at home watching and they burst into that chant, I'm going to stand up and shout "We want real fans!" clap, clap fucking clap, clap clap.

I've not missed the six-sided ring in the slightest. If it wasn't for threads like this then I'd have forgotten about it completely. It added nothing to the company.

However, some of the fans in the Impact Zone seem to think this is still a big thing. When AJ cut the promo on Eric a few weeks ago when Fortune had turned face, the crowd burst into "We want six sides!" and all that clapping shit. Well get on this, you get in for free and you don't own the fucking company. You have no say at all, so shut up and at least try to get into the matches. The fans in there add even less to the company than the six-sided ring used to. Next time I'm sat at home watching and they burst into that chant, I'm going to stand up and shout "We want real fans!" clap, clap fucking clap, clap clap.

You hit the proverbial nail on the head and I am on the floor LMAO, but seriously we don't need the six-sided ring back it did nothing for them except to say we are different but its a new day, it makes them look more professional and we aren't always looking through the ropes to see what is going on now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back