• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should TNA Have A Sting Farewell Tour?

CM Steel

A REAL American
The icon Sting's legendary career is coming to an end soon after being inducted by Lex Luger into the new TNA "hall of fame". Sting is in his early fifty's now. And has been wrestling since the early 1980's. But if Sting is still contracted wrestling for TNA/Impact Wrestling or not. Should and could Sting have a farewell tour?

Remember a few years ago when Hulk Hogan had the "Hulkamania tour" in the down under headling against Ric Flair before signing with TNA? Should there a Sting farewell tour in his honor as a wrestling legend? I think so! It wouldn't be about the $$$$$$. But about love, respect, leadership, thanx! Sting needs to go out on top! And not in a losing form like Flair and HBK did in the WWE at those two different Wrestlemania's.

So should TNA have a Sting farewell tour?

I agree with Prestonluv. If Sting doesn't go to the WWE for one last run with a major company than losing like Flair or HBK is no better. Sting vs Taker needs to happen but if Sting does not go to the WWE than why not I suppose. Give the man something for being one of the greatest characters of all time.

The only real problem I could see with a "farewell tour" for Sting is that you never know when the guy will quit the business for good. It's possible that he'll "change his mind" later, like Flair did - and wrestle again...after he "retired" from the business. What if TNA gives him a big send-off, and he goes and wrestles for WWE? I know that everyone (including me) wouldn't mind seeing him in a WWE ring before he's done for good, but it might taint his legacy if he has an "official retirement" (like the WWE gave Flair) and then he ends up wrestling in another company. Not that it really hurt Flair's legacy overall, but people were still pissed about it. Maybe it had more to do with Flair leaving the WWE and going to TNA though. The fans would probably be more forgiving of Sting, if he did the same thing Flair did (only backwards, by leaving TNA for the WWE after a "retirement send-off"). After all, fans have been clamoring for Sting to wrestle in the WWE ever since WCW shut it's doors for good.

If Sting is finally ready to retire, then of course a big send-off for him would be great. Even though I'd love to see Sting end up in the WWE (especially for a match against 'Taker), deep down I'd rather see him wrestle his final match in a TNA ring. There's a certain mystique about Sting, and most of that (at least in my eyes) comes from being the most famous wrestler in the world that has never worked for the WWE. When I say "final match", I mean exactly that. The very last match Sting ever wrestles. I don't mean a "fake" retirement (for lack of a better term), like Flair had in the WWE.

I was actually thinking about this a few weeks back, about whether or not Sting would ever have another run with the TNA WHC. Maybe his day for being Champ has come and gone, but maybe not. Maybe TNA would honor the Stinger by giving him the title one last time. Then again, I think even Sting knows that it's time to let the young bucks shine...Sting is so big, he doesn't need another title run to "solidify" anything (let alone the legacy he'd leave behind). On the flip side, TNA no longer needs Sting to be their Champ anymore either (for name recognition, or whatever).

If Sting does have some kind of farewell tour, I'd like to see him have his send-off in TNA...not an independent tour (like Hogan's was?), or with the WWE. But then again, he could say he's never going to wrestle again this week on Impact - and I'd be "okay" with it. Sting has given us so much in his career, that almost anything he does wouldn't take away from his illustrious career (when he finally does retire for good).

Johnny savage covered this well. Farewell tours seem hollow and opportunistic to me. They seldom turn out to be accurate assessments of the future, and the centerpiece usually winds up wrestling again.

I would like to add that I do not want to say goodbye to Sting. Since I was a child, first watching a promo for a tag team called "the Bladerunners" I have been fascinated with this guy. I liked them both at first, but Helwig turned me off several times, and Borden seldom, if ever, has. I want Sting being wheeled into the building by his grandchildren at the age of 87, just to howl at the crowd.

None of this is why I chose to comment, though (JS up there summed my thoughts up well enough.)
I hope that this whole thread was not inspired by a misguided idea that once you are a hall of famer, you should retire. This is not WWE, nor is it "real sports." this is pro rasslin, and only Vince does that. WCW certainly did not. They inducted Arn Anderson long before he retired, I believe. Just because Vince does it (probably to limit
the number of guys begging him for a spot) does not mean that "this is how it is done." I remember a time that Vince was just one wrestling promoter among many. I see scant evidence that he had a better handle on the "wrestling" part, only the "promotion" part. Were this a WWE forum, rather than TNA, this attitude would bother me less, but Vince may be awesome, but he is hardly a god. Things can be done in ways different than Mr. McMahon does them.

ETA: sorry if I was ranting, there. Too little caffeine today.

The only real problem I could see with a "farewell tour" for Sting is that you never know when the guy will quit the business for good. It's possible that he'll "change his mind" later, like Flair did - and wrestle again...after he "retired" from the business. What if TNA gives him a big send-off, and he goes and wrestles for WWE? I know that everyone (including me) wouldn't mind seeing him in a WWE ring before he's done for good, but it might taint his legacy if he has an "official retirement" (like the WWE gave Flair) and then he ends up wrestling in another company. Not that it really hurt Flair's legacy overall, but people were still pissed about it. Maybe it had more to do with Flair leaving the WWE and going to TNA though. The fans would probably be more forgiving of Sting, if he did the same thing Flair did (only backwards, by leaving TNA for the WWE after a "retirement send-off"). After all, fans have been clamoring for Sting to wrestle in the WWE ever since WCW shut it's doors for good.

If Sting is finally ready to retire, then of course a big send-off for him would be great. Even though I'd love to see Sting end up in the WWE (especially for a match against 'Taker), deep down I'd rather see him wrestle his final match in a TNA ring. There's a certain mystique about Sting, and most of that (at least in my eyes) comes from being the most famous wrestler in the world that has never worked for the WWE. When I say "final match", I mean exactly that. The very last match Sting ever wrestles. I don't mean a "fake" retirement (for lack of a better term), like Flair had in the WWE.

I was actually thinking about this a few weeks back, about whether or not Sting would ever have another run with the TNA WHC. Maybe his day for being Champ has come and gone, but maybe not. Maybe TNA would honor the Stinger by giving him the title one last time. Then again, I think even Sting knows that it's time to let the young bucks shine...Sting is so big, he doesn't need another title run to "solidify" anything (let alone the legacy he'd leave behind). On the flip side, TNA no longer needs Sting to be their Champ anymore either (for name recognition, or whatever).

If Sting does have some kind of farewell tour, I'd like to see him have his send-off in TNA...not an independent tour (like Hogan's was?), or with the WWE. But then again, he could say he's never going to wrestle again this week on Impact - and I'd be "okay" with it. Sting has given us so much in his career, that almost anything he does wouldn't take away from his illustrious career (when he finally does retire for good).

I agree with this. I would like to see Sting have his sendoff with TNA. I just don't see the point anymore in him doing the one year WWE thing. It would have been awesome a few years ago, but now I think TNA is the best place for him to finish up. Sting has been one of my favorites since I was a kid, and if he wants to wrestle longer I am cool with that. If he gets a farewell tour in TNA that's fine to.

i don't think so. your legacy is what you did in your career, not the last few months of it. look at Edge - he was putting on great matches and then all of a sudden, he was done. Sting is known right now for still being able to put on good matches after a long career, no reason for a farewell tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back