Should TNA Go After Ted DiBiase Jr?

Dibiase has a chiseled look. he looks like a movie star. he looks like the type who would be a QB in high school that gets all the girls. I think he could talk about how he doesn't have to earn anything, that he is the son of a millionaire. he just looks like an arrogant cocky guy, perfect for being a heel.
I wouldn't want him in Aces and Eights. I don't think he fits there.

people might not start watching TNA just for Ted Dibiase JR, but they're not going to change the channel either. viewers can say ohh I know that name, and watch to see what he does. you throw out most guys from the indy scene that most of your viewers don't know, and there's an easier chance the channel gets changed.

since I haven't really seen him I don't have much to say on how he wrestles, or what he sounds like. but I don't think it would be a bad move to sign him.

Dibiase has a chiseled look. he looks like a movie star. he looks like the type who would be a QB in high school that gets all the girls. I think he could talk about how he doesn't have to earn anything, that he is the son of a millionaire. he just looks like an arrogant cocky guy, perfect for being a heel.
I wouldn't want him in Aces and Eights. I don't think he fits there.

people might not start watching TNA just for Ted Dibiase JR, but they're not going to change the channel either. viewers can say ohh I know that name, and watch to see what he does. you throw out most guys from the indy scene that most of your viewers don't know, and there's an easier chance the channel gets changed.

since I haven't really seen him I don't have much to say on how he wrestles, or what he sounds like. but I don't think it would be a bad move to sign him.

Sorry brother, but there's more to wrestling and selling it than look. If that weren't the case, there's a laundry list of body builders at Venice Beach who TNA should be lining up to sign right now, and plenty of them look like a cocky quarterback type too.

DiBiase's greatest asset, literally, is the fact he's the son of Ted. Just like Garrett Bischoff. It's been years since I've seen him wrestle, but I remember plain as day his struggles with getting himself over, which is why it's no surprise to me that he's walking away in the first place.

WWE gave Ted DiBiase every possible chance they could.

-When he was with Maryse, Maryse was EASILY the more entertaining one of the duo. And nothing ever came of his time with Maryse.

-Along with Rhodes, they paired him with Orton to for Legacy, had him turn on Orton at EC 2010, and nothing ever came of it.

- They brought back the Million Dollar Championship and Virgil for DiBiase, and nothing ever came of it.

Mid card titles, push after push, you name it, and Ted had it, but everything flopped. Ted doesn't have an ounce of personality or charisma in him, and being competent in the ring isn't enough to justify a TNA contract.

It looks as though it's all moot as DiBiase has announced that he's going to work for an e-commerce website. The Mississippi Business Journal is reporting that he'll be working for CollegeGarageSales.com. The site is generally targeted towards college students and lets people buy & sell items typically bought for use by college students.

So, it looks as though Ted DiBiase, Jr. is leaving the world of pro wrestling behind. Can't say that I'll miss the guy all that much. Prior to the reports of him not re-signing with WWE, I haven't given the guy a thought in forever.

TNA shouldn't go after Ted for the simple fact that Ted doesn't want to be in the wrestling business anymore. Ted has never claimed to be dissatisfied with WWE, as a matter of fact he said it's a job he loved. Giving up on a dream job, especially one where you have a family presence in that can open doors for you, is only reasonable if theres something else you're passionate about. Theres absolutely no way TNA can offer Ted a better deal than the one he had with the WWE, even if they give him extensive TV time. Its not useful to derail someone's dreams or aspirations, especially in the wrestling business where morale plays a huge role in performance.

a guy should have some wrestling ability, but you don't need to be great in the ring at wrestling to become a star. all you really need wrestling wise is a few spot moves. that is if you have a good look and are good on the mic. example number 1 is Hulk Hogan.
I don't know how Dibiase talks on the mic so can't comment there.
the same goes the opposite way. you could be great at actual wrestling moves, but if you don't have a good image/character and can't talk very good on the mic, then chances are you're not going to be very successful.

a guy should have some wrestling ability, but you don't need to be great in the ring at wrestling to become a star. all you really need wrestling wise is a few spot moves. that is if you have a good look and are good on the mic. example number 1 is Hulk Hogan.
I don't know how Dibiase talks on the mic so can't comment there.
the same goes the opposite way. you could be great at actual wrestling moves, but if you don't have a good image/character and can't talk very good on the mic, then chances are you're not going to be very successful.

Actually, I'd argue that in order to be a star, the ability to wrestle is actually the least valuable asset to have. The most valuable thing is the ability to talk, followed very closely by look. Actual in-ring talent is a very, very distant third. This is why some of the largest names in the industry's history are hardly some of the best mat tacticians or experts — names like Hogan, Warrior, or even John Cena. It's their character that sells them to the masses, not their ability to pull off whatever spot you can think of.

And DiBiase doesn't really have either of those two things I mentioned — look or the ability to talk. He has an OK look. He's in decent shape, has body definition and a clean, almost preppy appeal, but he has no real "gimmick" to sell, and no voice to sell it in. Hit up YouTube for some of his promos and you'll see what I'm talking about. Watch a few, then tell me what the difference is between him and any other average performer? If he cut a promo with a group of ten independent guys that you only listened to, could you even pick him out?

Obviously TNA should go after Ted DiBiase Jr. After all, the man was an absolute ring technician between the ropes, smooth as silk. Combine this with such a unique, non-generic look and charisma to burn, and it's no shock whatsoever that DiBiase was utilized so thoroughly by WWE over the last couple of years and why they tried so feverishly to get him to renew his contract and stay. This guy has to be seen as an absolute must get by TNA.

Let's face it, TNA has money to burn these days, so how better to use these funds than to go after a commodity as hot as Ted DiBiase Jr. After all, he has a famous last name and is a former WWE "reject". Enough said, let's open the wallets and get this guy signed up.

Unfortunately, CollageGarageSales.com has beaten them to it, so TNA's loss is e-commerce's gain. Too bad though, the addition of Ted DiBiase to Impact Wrestling could have changed the landscape of professional wrestling forever.

He should have ZERO interest in going to TNA, and TNA should have ERO interest in Ted. TNA has a track record of under-utilizing talent, why would he want to jump into another situation like the one he just left? TNA needs to focus on trimming a little more fat (Hogan, Sting, Anderson, Robbie E, Spud) and utilizing what they already have, before dipping into the well again.

All the guys saying no on here are saying no because of a lack of interest in Wwe dibiase. Now, I'm not guaranteeing that he'd be a star, move the ratings, or even have a great character in tna, but if wrestling companies didn't take shots on people who failed to reach certain heights in other companies, had flops in characters, or didn't get over on their first runs, then there would be no Triple H, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, RVD, Raven, and to a lesser extent Undertaker or Stone cold. HHH was a blue blood with regal. Kevinnash was oz and vinnie Vegas. Hall was the diamond studd. RVD was Robbie V. Raven was once Scotty Flamingo. You'd had Mean Mark and stunning Steve too.

Now, I haven't seen anything that tells me that dibiase is the next one of those guys, and I don't think TNA tries to create a new persona for ex Wwe guys. They try to take the Wwe guy and keep his failed character. If they would try something new maybe they'd stumble into something great. The closest they've come was with the pope. But they don't have the creative team to make a fresh character. So, I'd say no, unless they had a way to make dibiase fresh and new. But a wwe rehash in a smaller pond isn't game changing.

Until they quit just applying wwe 2.0 to ex wwe guys, they shouldn't bother.

And do what with him? Put him in Aces and Eights as Dee-Bo?

Best thing for Ted Jr. to do is what he's doing - and that's taking on newer avenues in business and other ventures and be open to the occasional indy show that would be a halfway decent payday.

Ted DiBiase Jr should try to get into TNA. Granted this can't happen for a few months, but it would be good for him. He was severely under-used in WWE. It's WWE's fault really. They had a perfect moment to do a huge face push for Ted when they chose to not have him defeat Randy Orton during the time he was standing up to him at the end of the Legacy angle. Ted could have been a much bigger deal in WWE than he was. I remember thinking his path would mirror Cody's with them being on different shows and slowly making their way up the card. That didn't happen.

TNA would be better for him. They would be more likely to actually push him. He's able to make the fans care about him so a face push is not out of the question and we know what he can do as a heel from Legacy. I'd start him out in the X Division or in a tag team. Whether he will make it further up the card than that is unknown, but surely TNA would push him and use him onscreen in a better role than WWE did. He deserved better. Perhaps he may never win a world title, but he has the skills to make it MUCH further than he did in WWE. I'd like to see him get a chance in TNA for that reason.

Other then the fact that he has a good look and has age on his side, There really is nothing else that DiBiase brings to the table. The guy is far from amazing in the ring and has very little mic skills. TNA have signed former WWE guyd like DiBiase before and it has hardly ever worked. and if TNA were intrested in signing him. then I imagine he would want the same money as other WWE alumni that have joined TNA in the past and with all the cost cutting that TNA are doing right know I really don't see it happening and I would much rather see TNA sign somebody from the indy scene.

I've always felt that Ted was the best of the three in Legacy. At the very least he was a lot better then Cody, both in the ring and on the mic. And wwe was high on him for a while, high enough that they tried to make a star of him by having him star in the Marine 2. Since then though, he lost time while filming and a few injuries halted his momentum and he was placed on the back burner. Then the success of hte NXT guys, first with the original setup as a contest, then as an on air development pool pushed him further as newer guys like Shield, Fandango and Sandow started popping up and (as much as I personaly don't find them interesting) getting some notice from fans.

As far as TNA goes, if they could afford it, I don't see why they shouldn't go after him. Not saying they will, but they could always use more talent. will he set attendance or ppv buy records if they sign him? No. but he could potentially bring a little history to them as a 3rd generation guy, when they don't even have any 2nd gen except for bischoff. Hell, they could make room for him by dumping some of their excess weight in the aces/8's.
a good story line for tna then could be anderson vs dibiase, each taking shots at each other for who's movie was worse: Marine 2 for ted or Behind enemy lines 2 from anderson. Of course they'd have to both admit that hogan's movies were worse then either of them could do. Hey, there's a thought, a feud against hogan based on their movie careers. Ted and Ken could go all hollywood(meant as it was used prior to hogan's nwo turn) and hogan could try and beat them down with a string of ringers to show he's the biggest hollywood star in tna. even sting could throw in his 2cents thanks to that horrible movie he made with cindy crawford.

I've always felt that Ted was the best of the three in Legacy. At the very least he was a lot better then Cody, both in the ring and on the mic. And wwe was high on him for a while, high enough that they tried to make a star of him by having him star in the Marine 2. Since then though, he lost time while filming and a few injuries halted his momentum and he was placed on the back burner. Then the success of hte NXT guys, first with the original setup as a contest, then as an on air development pool pushed him further as newer guys like Shield, Fandango and Sandow started popping up and (as much as I personaly don't find them interesting) getting some notice from fans.

As far as TNA goes, if they could afford it, I don't see why they shouldn't go after him. Not saying they will, but they could always use more talent. will he set attendance or ppv buy records if they sign him? No. but he could potentially bring a little history to them as a 3rd generation guy, when they don't even have any 2nd gen except for bischoff. Hell, they could make room for him by dumping some of their excess weight in the aces/8's.
a good story line for tna then could be anderson vs dibiase, each taking shots at each other for who's movie was worse: Marine 2 for ted or Behind enemy lines 2 from anderson. Of course they'd have to both admit that hogan's movies were worse then either of them could do. Hey, there's a thought, a feud against hogan based on their movie careers. Ted and Ken could go all hollywood(meant as it was used prior to hogan's nwo turn) and hogan could try and beat them down with a string of ringers to show he's the biggest hollywood star in tna. even sting could throw in his 2cents thanks to that horrible movie he made with cindy crawford.

I want to throw out an idea to see if people think this could work. it would have to be fairly well after Aces and Eights are done.
even before mentioning this I'm assuming most are going to say no, but read it and see what you think.
bring in Ted Dibiase. he is 2nd generation wrestler. what other generation wrestlers does TNA have that could be in like a heel stable with Dibiase? Garrett Bischoff? Wes Brisco? I'm not talking about something that would be a major level story line, but something smaller. more of a mid card story line. all 3 seem like natural heels. it's not about the wrestling, it's about the story line and how they are used on TV.
might be something that would not work, but I thought I would go ahead and throw it out there.

I Dig Rask! said:
Absolutely not. He has the personality of a doorknob. There's a reason WWE isn't going crazy trying to get him re-signed. There's no money in him. I get that he's young (enough) and has an OK look, but there's more money in Wes Brisco than there is in DiBiase Jr.

Ummmm...... More money in Briscoe? I doubt that anyone, except Garret Bitching, has LESS to offer the business in anyway! I do agree about his personality, but he has better than average in ring ability. Bischoff and Briscoe are two PRIMARY examples of TNA'S incompetence at almost every level.

Posted from Wrestlezone.com App for Android

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back