Should the Ultimate Warrior be inducted into the WWE hall of fame?

CM Steel

A REAL American
As a Golden State Warriors fan, I had to post this thread. The Ultimate Warrior is an icon from the WWF era. He was so over with the fans! A life long babyface. He ended the 15 month IC title reign of the Honky Tonk Man and is one of the few men to beat Hulk Hogan clean for the WWF/E championship. From the 1980's to the mid-90's the Ultimate Warrior has been in & out the WWF/E. His last run in the then-WWF was short due to the WWF terminating Warrior's contract when he took time off allegedly to grieve the death of his father. WWF owner Vince McMahon claimed that Warrior had not seen his father in ten years and did not care much for him; therefore, he did not take Warrior's excuse for missing bookings at face value. Warrior disputes McMahon's explanation, claiming that the real reason why he no showed those events was a breach of contract by McMahon, in which WWF sold Warrior's merchandise without giving him a percentage.

Vince McMahon has been known recently to squash beefs he's had with his former employee's for business sence over matter (i.e. Bruno Sammartino). So should both Vince McMahon and the Warrior bury the hatchet so the Warrior can take his rightful place in the WWE hall of fame? It should also be noted that the Ultimate Warrior and the late great Macho Man Randy Savage formed an alliance with each other for awhile. So that would make perfect sence for both of these legends to go in the WWE hall of fame in the same class year.

And hopefully Mr. T as well.

Not to mention the incredible feud Warrior and Savage had. I have said many times in these forums that I was a diehard Hulkamaniac as a kid so The Ultimate Warrior was not one of my favorites. After he beat Hogan at Mania 6 I absolutely hated him. That being said he most certainly should be inducted in the HOF. As mentioned in a thread in the old school section, The Warrior had one of the most impactfull years in pro wrestling history with his clean win over Hogan. As the OP said he defeated Honky ending a 15 month IC title reign, and he just blew up from there. He didn't have the longevity that other stars have had, but when you look at the HOF Warrior definitely deserves to be there. As a side note, Savage is way more deserving, but Warrior should be there to.

If they can induct Donald Trump and Mike Tyson, why in the blue hell not?

P.S my opinion about Warrior echoes everything you've mentioned.

The Warrior would be the most anticipated inductee of whatever HOF class he finds himself in. He's deserving, I'd even say he should be the headline act.

It'll happen at some point. He'll likely accept the offer when he begins to fear what will happen to his legacy. That's why Sammartino & Bret Hart accepted invitations.

I think Warrior should be in. hope they give him a lot if time for his speech.

I will say this though. Warrior should be the main attraction and should be the sole headline inductee. I dont think Warrior would want to be over shadowed or share the spot light.

Absolutely purely based on the superman achievement his character did during the height of the Hulkamania era however i have my doubts they would want him on a televised appearance, given his track record of ranting

so the character definately deserves to be in but the person behind it doesn't IMO.

That's why Sammartino & Bret Hart accepted invitations.

His legacy is already well and truly screwed by himself and Bruno and Bret didn't take up the offer specifically for that reason IMO they had mended some of there burnt bridges and needed the money obviously. Do you really think Bruno woulda done it if they didn't pay him? His legacy was set in stone along time ago he didn't need to be in that spotlight to prove it. Not long ago he coulda cared less about WWE and turned down HOF offers time after time if anything like Superstar Billy Graham and the like went out of there way to bag Vince and WWE in general until Triple H or someone else said we've changed and here's some money then suddenly it's all good.

and Bret and HBK kissed and made up which was the major thing holding him back from ever dealing with WWE again.

I could write a well spoken and detailed reason for him to be inducted but I'll just go with this:

Koko B. Ware....

Yes Ultimate Warrior should be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.

I was never a fan of Warrior. He just never clicked with me, even as a kid. I think his win over the Honky Tonk Man is pretty overblown because, in my opinion, HTM was a generally lousy IC champ. He wasn't that good of a wrestler and he was little more than an Elvis impersonator. WWE would be ridiculed to no end in this day & age for having such a guy on the roster, especially if said wrestler held a title for over a year. People complain when Santino gets a title run even though he's FAR better than HTM ever was.

All that being said, however, Warrior is someone who would be worthy of being in the Hall of Fame simply because of how huge he was in the late 80s and early 90s. He was a major player in wrestling and looked to be the next Hulk Hogan for a while.

However, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. There's too much animosity between Warrior and...well...damn near anybody he's ever had anything to do with in wrestling. It seems that whenever I read an interview or hear one in which Warrior is asked questions about his days in wrestling, he slams pretty much everyone that he's ever worked with. Flair, Hogan, Heenan, Hart, Rude, Bischoff, Triple H, etc. are all guys that Warrior has just repeatedly blasted whenever he's gotten an opportunity. After finding out what a world class douche the guy is in real life, it's a wonder that he can stand himself.

His animosity towards WWE is especially well known. When WWE released The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior DVD, Warrior sued them for defamation of character. He claimed that the DVD was injurious and slandered his character because the DVD itself wasn't flattering. The title itself is a clue that it's not a DVD compilation that celebrates the guy's career. A judge ultimately threw Warrior's case out because WWE had a mountain of evidence showing that Warrior had been doing what he'd accused them of for years, long before the DVD was released.

I think the only chance it has of happening is if when Vince is no longer running the company. Even then, it might be risky as Warrior might simply decide to go off the reservation and blast the company & anyone associated with it in his acceptance speech.

I always preferred Hogan over Warrior (and Bret Hart over Hogan). But I do think Warrior should go in and go in next year or the year after whilst fans remember him still. His IC title win over HTM was amazing - mostly because HTM was an awful wrestler and annoying (that is the character he portrayed) - and when his music hit and he came running out to win the IC belt - what a pop. What a moment. Warrior also had epic encounters with Rick Rude (who should definitely go in to the HOF too) and his match with HH at WM6 was nothing short of a miracle given how 1 dimensional they both were.
Then there was UW's matches with Randy Savage - WM7 being the best, and his last good match. If you recall after that match he went quiet, tagged with Hogan at SummerSlam and then got fired right after the match. He did not resurface until WM 8 and by then he had lost loads of muscle and people did not believe it was the original Warrior. Then after this- he did not return for 4 years. He never did anything of consequence again. But on balance yeah he should definately be in the HOF for the work he did from 1988 to 1992. He was a household name and a star that drew.

Why are people so concerned with him giving a Hall Of Fame speech? It's not like it would be on live television anyway and even a cell phone recording of a possible negative rant by Ultimate Warrior wouldn't be acknowledged by the company in any form after the fact. Also there's the consideration that for Ultimate Warrior to even get the opportunity to be in the Hall of Fame, he'd have to agree to terms and stipulations that would probably include him signing a legends contract solely for the purpose that the WWE can legally bind him from negatively mouthing off about the company or any past/present employees.

As for him being deserving of a place in the Hall Of Fame, I certainly think so. He is the only singles wrestler (outside of Hogan) who in the early 90s was visually synonymous with the WWF in many people's minds who never cared to watch the product. I think he belongs there for all of the superficial reasons one can muster up. At the height of his popularity, you'd see his face in the face-paint mask and you knew immediately what the promotion, ad, commercial, blurb, or billboard was for. He was a wrestling marketing department's wet dream! In my opinion, anyone who becomes that iconic in wrestling is deserving of a spot in the Hall Of Fame.

I think that what needs to happen in order for his induction is a real behind the scenes, man-to-man, apology to Ultimate Warrior for that very unnecessary and inappropriate DVD. And the apology should come from Vince McMahon, Triple H, and anyone else who feels compelled. Ultimate Warrior may not have been the best guy on the planet and everyone is entitled to their opinions whether good or bad. But with that known, it shows a strong lack of class for a company to publicly release an array of biased insults and critiques about a former employee just because guys in the company dislike him or have a grudge.

It's a tough call. A guy who was a legitimate world champion (having cleanly beaten Hulk Hogan, of all people) should go right into the HOF, one would think. The excitement and controversy he stirred up speaks in his favor, too. In his time, he was huge.

The problem: When we think of Warrior and WWE, we get a lot of negative connotations; it's difficult to say he represented WWE well. Of course, if you go down the list of HOF members, you could make arguments that a lot of them didn't.....in fact, many of them never represented WWE at all; consider people like Gordon Solie (who never set foot in WWE) or Bill Watts (who never wrestled for them).

Also, if you want to include people who represented WWE well, how do you explain Bruno Sammartino? As glad as I am he's finally in there, he can hardly be proclaimed a WWE loyalist the past 25 years, can he? Yet, he definitely belongs for his contributions in the 60's, 70's & 80's.

On deeds alone, I would think someone who performed for WWE the way Ultimate Warrior did belongs in the HOF.

One caveat: to be inducted, I think the performer has to want to be in there. This surely applied to Bruno, and it should be applicable to Warrior, too. Since that's not likely to happen in this lifetime, I say......leave him out.

Should he? Of course! In the early 90s, he was tied with Hulk as the biggest star in the wwf. Warrior I would compare to Cena in that he wasn't a great in ring worker, but sold lots and lots of merchandise. I met Warrior recently at a wrestling convention on the same day as wm 29. I asked him "Bruno Sammartino finally accepted the HOF, are you". He said he won't unless they tell his story right. I think he means that they would have to make a better dvd of him. They should do a 3 disc Warrior set with the first disc being a documentary and the last two discs matches. They should definitely do that and put him in the hall of fame.

He may have to be inducted posthumously if he cant be reasoned with

He and Hogan were the apex of the business when wrestling finaly became mainstream

definitely deserves the spotlight at the Hall of Fame ceremony.

They should do a 3 disc Warrior set with the first disc being a documentary and the last two discs matches. They should definitely do that and put him in the hall of fame.

Nobody on earth would be able stand a 2 disc dvd of warrior matches, he's had a handful of good matches. Savage, Rude and maybe a few others but there is no way he can fill up 2 discs without viewers ready to throw their dvd/bluray players against a wall. This is the same reason why I dont understand why there is going to be a 3 disc dvd on Goldberg.

As for if warrior should be in the HOF, i think he does deserve it because he was a unique character with a lot of fans. He couldnt wrestle much but he still had a cult following and if tyson,trump etc are making it in, warrior deserves it too.

The WWE Hall of Fame--should be a fun discussion. But, ultimately, it is a bunch of losers comparing every potential inductee to Koko B Ware or someone else they don't understand. I like the Hall of Fame because I get a kick out of hearing old stories, reliving moments from my youth and strolling down memory lane. ...and then I get back to real life. Unfortunately, real life for most of you who will read this IS WWE and everything having to do with it. Go ahead and get mad, only someone who knows it's them would find that offensive. I think people--and by people, I mean the idiots that make up majority of this page and forum--take it way too seriously. It is simply a way for Vince to honor those who have helped him make his millions. It isn't for the best wrestlers only, or only for those with the highest merchandise sales, or not credible because of who isn't in yet--shut up! I will now respond for the ones out there who simply enjoy wrestling history and have fun with it. ...not the white trash with Austin 3:16 tattoos who just spilled their midday cereal all over their DX sweatpants because I made fun of their non-life.

Hey normal people, how's it going? To me, the WWE Hall of Fame honors those who contributed to the WWE or wrestling/sports entertainment in a way that Vince appreciates. Hulk Hogan was WWE's biggest star ever; so, he is in there. Koko B. Ware contributed with wrestling, crowd enjoyment, music and merchandise; so, he is in there. Donald Trump hosted and participated in WrestleManias; so, he is there. There are plenty of different reasons that Vince inducts these people: contributions, the fans want them, and--to be fair--personal preference..he likes them. While this enrages the bozos I eluded to earlier, it's his monster and he can do whatever he wants with it. Vince: "Hmmm, I don't want to induct Randy Savage..but 42-year-old guy living in mom's basement wants him in there. This guy will still buy my PPVs and shirts and tickets...yeah, I'll stick with what I want."

As for Warrior, I think he belongs in there. He was HUGE, albeit for a short time, but back when WWF was really coming into its own. Classic moments, classic feuds, merchandise, crowd appeal..the guy had all of that. I could list his good matches on a post-it; but, he was more than a wrestler. He was a major player in one of the most successful timeframes for the WWF. No, it won't shock me if he doesn't get in...and it won't bother me either. I liked what he gave me back then and appreciate it now. I don't need someone else's validation. I guess I don't get the passion of fans, in general. I root for my teams, but when they lose, I move on. I don't understand the people who are SO invested in a wrestler's or team's success. But, that's fine. Good for them! I don't judge. (I make fun of the jerks on this site, but only for kicks. They're responses humor me when I'm bored.)

To all you true wrestling fans, my vote would be to induct the Ultimate Warrior for how much he meant when he was relevant.

I was considering creating this thread last week when I downloaded Colt Cabana's "Art of Wrestling" podcast with Ted DiBiase Sr. Colt brought up the question to The Million Dollar Man, and he flat out said no. He felt The Warrior didn't respect the business or anyone that helped him to get to the level he got. I actually agree. I was a fan of Warrior's as a kid, but I definitely liked Hogan better and over the years I grew to like him less and less. I honestly don't care if Warrior goes in or not. Someone else argued that if KoKo B. Ware is in, why not Warrior? What I do care about is who does or does not go in before him. Quite simply, guys like Randy Savage, Owen Hart, Davy Boy Smith, Jake Roberts, Rick Rude, etc. deserve it more.

Yes he deserves it most certainly. He was a huge huge household name in the late 80's and early 90's. I never thought he be the one to beat Hogan at WM6 let alone beat him clean. He was a huge draw and at that time as big as Hogan was. When he beat the HTM at Summerslam what a huge moment that was.

Then he goes on to WM6 and beats Hulk Hogan for the Title pinning him cleanly. But with all his success and accolades he is his own worse enemy. If theres one example of a guy who thinks he is bigger than the business its the UW.

He buried himself and those associated with the business. He trashed VKM HHH Rude (Who i think a HOF spot is long long overdue)Eazy E and practically everyone else. When you have a DVD that is titled The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior that is not a good sign your going into the HOF. Dude is a world class Douche Bag he deserves the HOF but not before Rude,Savage,Owen Hart,Demolition,the spanish announce table!

When you consider that even Andre, who very rarely had anything bad to say about anyone, stated that he couldn't stand him (according to Bobby Heenan), makes a point of what he's about. Add to this the fact that he has made homophobic rants, and also ranted about Darren Drozdov being "the cripple", is this REALLY someone anyone should look up to?

As the Aussies say, "I wouldn't p*ss up his a*se if his guts were on fire"

Well, yes. Warrior should go into the Hall Of Fame, but I can't see it happening, while he's alive. Warrior seemingly hates everyone in the wrestling world, and he's drenched all of his bridges in gasoline, tossing a lit match on each one. Plus, Warrior is batshit crazy to the extreme. He might go on some wild out of left field rant during his speech, explaining how he invented the body slam with the possibility of running through the audience nude. I can still remember watching his Karma shoot on Hogan, and sitting in front of my computer in a stunned silence.

He'll probably receive a posthumous induction, because I honestly can't imagine Warrior letting go of his grudge against WWE.

From what I understand Warrior doesn't want to be in the hall of fame. I could be wrong, but I believe that he said in an shoot interview that he doesn't care. As for the problems between he and Mcmahon I would honestly believe Warriors side of the story over that of Vince. Warrior is known for not caring about what anyone thinks of him. Vince has built an empire out of lies, deception, exploitation and all sorts of scandals. I am not faulting Vince for that. He is a businessman and in the business world you do whatever it takes to survive. I certainly couldn't run a business. I am not ruthless enough. I already have problems sleeping and I don't want to make them worse. As for Koko B. Ware... I don't see the big deal about his being in the hall of fame. Sure he wasn't Hogan, Andre, Piper or any of those guys, but at the time he was a very popular midcard guy.

While I loved Warrior when I was younger, and I marked out like crazy when he showed up in WCW, I don't know. For the impact he made, how insane the crowds (mostly the kids) went when his music popped, yes. But for how much he believed in his characters own hype, the insane rants he goes off on, his utter unpredictability, no. Also, it's no secret that he couldn't wrestle worth a damn. When Hogan carries you through a match....

I think there's just too much bad blood between Vince and Warrior to ever have him inducted. It's one of those cases where it probably will never happen, yet it very likely should happen. I'm just kind of mixed on the guy

Yes Warrior should be in the HOF. At one point he was as popular as Hogan and helped carry the company. Yes he is batshit crazy but you can't take away what he meant to the WWF back in the 80's/90's.

From what I understand Warrior doesn't want to be in the hall of fame. I could be wrong, but I believe that he said in an shoot interview that he doesn't care. As for the problems between he and Mcmahon I would honestly believe Warriors side of the story over that of Vince. Warrior is known for not caring about what anyone thinks of him. Vince has built an empire out of lies, deception, exploitation and all sorts of scandals.

It's not just Vince. Wrestler after wrestler have said nothing but negative things about Hellwig. Nobody likes the guy. Guys who have legit heat with each other agree that Jim is a flake. He changed his name to Warrior. That should tell you all you need to know about him.

While he has enough credentials that he could be included, he's one of those guys that doesn't HAVE to go in either. I'm sure one year when they need a filler and Warrior needs some attention he'll be inducted.

It's hard to deny the impact that the Warrior made on my generation. He was one of the biggest stars of the early 90's and deserves to be recognized. The issue isn't so much "Does he deserve to be in the HOF" as much as "Does he want to be in the HOF?". And last I heard, he's not interested. And now there's the Triple H issue. I'm usually a supporter of HHH, but in this case he comes off as petty because the Warrior wasn't interested in hearing spot ideas from a guy who at the time was a glorified jobber. I'm hoping this turns into a situation like Bruno where he does it for his fans. I know there's a lot of people in their early to mid 30's who would mark out big time if the Warrior's name gets called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back