• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should it be socially accepted for black people to say the N-word?

BestSportsEntertainer

I Don't Need No User Title
Well, this is a little bit different than the usual threads started by me. I'm usually ranting about certain wrestlers being held down by WWE or nothing meaningful or even both at the same time.

However, this is a completely different "issue", if you would call it that. WWE has cut ties with Hogan because he said the N-word. Some posters have argued that it shouldn't be accepted for black people to say the N-word.

Should it be accepted for black people to say the N-word? Do you have any other thoughts on this incident?

Honestly it's 2015, who gives a shit on who says ****** or not. It is just a word, the only impact, and value the word has is completely relative. Vince McMahon said "*****" on air to John Cena back in 2002 and no one batted an eye. But when Hulk Hogan did it on some radio/podcast/whatever the fuck 8 years ago (in 2007 mind you) he gets shown the door? That's fucking stupid.

I say lets use all the words we want, even if they might hurt someone's feelings. If the WWE or a entertainment company doesn't want their image associated with racism then they shouldn't have had lame ass, all black stable gimmicks like "Crimetyme" or "New Day." What I figure is if they fight all the "plain sight battles" like Hulk Hogan saying ****** on a radio show 8 years ago they can get away with the subtle racism like "an all hip hop heel stable."

You're free to feel however you like from words and you can put as much value, or malice to a word as you like, but you cross the line when you start gathering pitchfork and torches to put a scarlet colored "N" on people and force them out of work.

There is no such thing as a "bad word". It doesn't matter if it's ******, ******, fuck, cunt, shit, dick or whatever the hell else people find taboo and wrong to hear or say. Bad words do not exist. Only bad intentions. The term "******" only has the power it does because of the stigmatization around it, because people are forced to refer to it as "the n-word", which makes the impact of the actual word so much worse than it is, because when you hear it, everyone gasps. Stop gasping. Stop caring and the word itself will have almost no meaning. It'll be no better or worse than any other intentionally insulting term.

The word itself — its meaning — I agree is demeaning, but so is the meaning of "moron" or "idiot" — terms we don't bat an eye at. Why? Because they lack the taboo nature we gave "the n-word" and "the c-word" simply by refusing to even say them out loud. It's like fucking Lord Voldemort.

Long story short, it should be "accepted" that everyone say it. If you took the power away from it it'd be powerless. The same as any other "insulting" term. And by accepted, I mean that we don't get up in arms and collectively gasp and cry foul every time we hear it. No one should be using the terms because of what they actually represent, but the more you stigmatize it, the worse it will be.

Let's get something straight, nobody has any right to determine how anybody else feels about a word. It's subjective, some people care, some people don't. The fact is the word is more often than not used with malice and the intention of offending someone of a certain race just like other words such as ******, spic, Jew, and many others are used to offend others. It's extremely easy to say "Don't get angry and it won't matter" when it doesn't apply to you.

You can say whatever offensive thing you want as long as you can deal with the consequences afterwards whether it be someone calling you out on offending them, being publicly terminated from a job that that employs and caters to people of all races, or simply being verbally harassed in the exact manner.

That being said it's already socially acceptable because no law can be put on a word, regardless of what anybody says or proclaims whether we're racist or not if we dislike someone of a certain color, gender, or nationality we'll use whatever slur to get under their skin. Deal with it and just learn that no matter who you are something about you will be used to hurt your feelings, man up and hurt theirs back.

Let's get something straight, nobody has any right to determine how anybody else feels about a word. It's subjective, some people care, some people don't. The fact is the word is more often than not used with malice and the intention of offending someone of a certain race just like other words such as ******, spic, Jew, and many others are used to offend others. It's extremely easy to say "Don't get angry and it won't matter" when it doesn't apply to you.

It does apply to me. You assume I'm from an all-white family. I'm not. My mom was born in Haiti. She's not white. She's not "black" either, but she's not white. My first cousins are black. A huge chunk of my mother's side of the family are dark-skinned. It doesn't affect me directly because I'm not black, but it's quite presumptuous of you to assume I don't know the horses in this race, even if I don't own one (no pun intended).

Oh, and my best friend is also dark-skinned from Dominican Republic. And he feels exactly the same way I do about the term. It's fucking stupid that people actually get upset over it, because you are picking and choosing which terms are "bad" and which aren't. For decades it was fine to use the term "******ed", but now it isn't. But somehow "moron", "idiot", "imbecile", etc. are all still OK. They missed the "******ed" cut. Why? They are all intentionally demeaning, insulting terms that make light of the intelligence level of the person they're being applied to.

Point being, let's not pretend that just because "******" is taboo that we haven't found new ways to say the same fucking thing. "Thug" and "savage" for example.

You can say whatever offensive thing you want as long as you can deal with the consequences afterwards whether it be someone calling you out on offending them, being publicly terminated from a job that that employs and caters to people of all races, or simply being verbally harassed in the exact manner.

Agreed. I never said a thing about the actions of private companies in reaction to use of the term. Your job has every right to fire you if they feel you being employed by them jeopardizes their status because of something you say or do.

And I am all for being called out publicly when what you say or believe is wrong, or offensive. Take the Confederate flag, for example. I said repeatedly that private citizens should be able to wear them, own them, fly them, what have you. And other private citizens should be allowed to call those people racists, and insensitive pricks.

That being said it's already socially acceptable because no law can be put on a word, regardless of what anybody says or proclaims whether we're racist or not if we dislike someone of a certain color, gender, or nationality we'll use whatever slur to get under their skin. Deal with it and just learn that no matter who you are something about you will be used to hurt your feelings, man up and hurt theirs back.

Law and "social acceptance" aren't always the same thing.

It does apply to me. You assume I'm from an all-white family. I'm not. My mom was born in Haiti. She's not white. She's not "black" either, but she's not white. My first cousins are black. A huge chunk of my mother's side of the family are dark-skinned. It doesn't affect me directly because I'm not black, but it's quite presumptuous of you to assume I don't know the horses in this race, even if I don't own one (no pun intended).

Oh, and my best friend is also dark-skinned from Dominican Republic. And he feels exactly the same way I do about the term. It's fucking stupid that people actually get upset over it, because you are picking and choosing which "words" are "bad" and which aren't. For decades it was fine to use the term "******ed", but now it isn't. But somehow "moron", "idiot", "imbecile", etc. are all still OK. They missed the "******ed" cut. Why? They are all intentionally demeaning, insulting terms that make light of the intelligence level of the person they're being applied to.

That wasn't directed at anyone specific but more so people in general who think they can tell someone what they can be affected by, if you feel that's you then I believe you're wrong, if not then alright. I'm of the mind that I won't demean anyone unless they give me a reason to. I'd like to hope everyone would treat each other as they would like to be treated but I'm sure you're more than well aware that's not the world we live in.

All the words you said do have a negative connotation and I'm not going to start an argument about which is worse but know that one has hundreds of years of historical backlash against a large group of people while others are often used as a petty insult and rarely has any real malice behind.

Again though, taking these words lying down isn't something anyone has to do.

Law and "social acceptance" aren't always the same thing.

Rap music, certain kinds of television and movies, and any closed door conversations have given an unspoken rule that the word is socially acceptable as long as it's not to the person of that color,you're not publicly famous, or someone of that race tells you it's okay to say it first.

Honestly I'm seeing a little too much Ignorance on one post and I don't usually comment a lot but I feel like I should ... Its not the word itself that's offensive its within the context of how you use it , he could've said anything about the guy without racially slandering him , it was completely offensive and I would be offended if he was saying it about me ! Its 2015 man " *****s " needa get it together ! Now did you take that out of context ? Can you say I offended you in any way ? I doubt it ... Let's be real , in light of everything that is Going on this is a issue that couldn't go unnoticed and HAD to be addressed and dealt with ! And it was

This is why I hold back when I'm around people that I'm not entirely sure what they find offensive. When I'm around people that understand I'm not serious unless I state otherwise I will make jokes about anything and everything.

Basically my thoughts are, its acceptable for everyone to say any word. However they should be aware of their surroundings as just as its acceptable for someone to say something, its just as acceptable to get offended if it concerns them.

My belief is that words are words. Feelings are what drive you. Of course that doesn't mean that the word, won't be found offensive. Also, one can hide his feelings. I could walk around, call everyone a cunt, asshole or whatever and then say "hey, no hard feelings", but in reality, I'm just hiding my feelings because I don't want to get my ass beaten.

When a guy like Hogan calls every black man a "******", and then comes out and says "I'm no racist, bro", what am I supposed to believe?

To answer your question. NO. They shouldn't. Seriously, I never understood why it is acceptable among black people to call themselves "*****", but a white can't say it. If someone around the forums could fill me in, I'd appreciate it. On topic, if we're talking about equality here, then white people should be able to use the word, too, not only black.

Also, how you use the word is pretty crucial. The way Hogan did it, for example, was racist, since he seems to believe that black people are inferior beings and wouldn't mind his daughter to fuck a black man, as long as he's rich, otherwise he's not worth it (that's what I heard, don't know if it's true). However, if I had friends, black, I'd probably call them ***** or ******.

Black people use it in a friendly manner, but, the fact that the word has become rap's trademark line, is absurd. Lil fuckin' Wayne. The word doesn't matter, feelings do, but, words are there to express your feeling right? So, that means that we should use words according to our feelings and not in a friendly fashion. But, 0% of people do that. And I don't blame them.

NOTE: I'd appreciate someone to fill me in as to why it is okay for black people to say the word publickly and it's not when a white man says it. I understand that most white people mean it in a racist way, but since they call themselves ******s, why can't we call them ******s as well?

Because White people created that word out of Hate ... We just took it and made it something completely different ... No black person I know of uses the word " ****** " or even refers to anybody as a " ****** " ... " ***** " and " ****** " are two whole different words with two different meanings in their own rights ... You could say whatever you want about the situation as a whole , YOU know what he said wasn't right , let's just be real and think about it

Because White people created that word out of Hate ... We just took it and made it something completely different ... No black person I know of uses the word " ****** " or even refers to anybody as a " ****** " ... " ***** " and " ****** " are two whole different words with two different meanings in their own rights ... You could say whatever you want about the situation as a whole , YOU know what he said wasn't right , let's just be real and think about it

Except that they aren't. They're thought to be two different words, but are actually the same word, just stylized differently. So that "******", with an -er, is considered racist, but "*****", with an -a, is not. They both have racist, hateful histories. Blacks simply chose to adopt the stylized variation in an attempt to "take the word back" — to take its power. In a way, they have. I applaud the rap and hip hop communities for doing so, but at the end of the day the terms still actually mean the same thing. You need no further proof this is true than to hear a white man say "*****" around blacks. He can justify the use by saying "no, no, no, I didn't say it with an -er, I said it with an -a!" but the response will likely still be largely negative because he isn't black. So in reality, all blacks have done is taken the word for themselves, much as whites created it in the first place for the same reason.

No one should be using the term at all because of what it means, but anyone should be able to say it, because it's just a word. Those who choose to use it also must understand and accept the social pressures and potential consequences for doing so.

Well where I'm from , NY city everyone uses the word " ***** " freely , you could almost say its a part of our culture ... I know people of all races and different backgrounds that use the word freely without getting any feedback whatsoever , negative or positive ... Its almost like saying " Bro " ... We don't say ****** I'm sorry its just not the same thing , that's why Vince can say " ***** " on national TV but Hogan is being slammed and his career is coming to a halt for saying " ****** " ... Like I said , two totally different things .. You could compare and contrast the two but at the end of the day , its just not the same ...

Like I said, blacks adopted the stylized variation of the term, but they both have the same racist, hate-filled history. They both derive from the same place in history — the same racist place in history. There's science behind the theory that the only reason blacks continue to call one another "*****s" is because they were taught to call each other "******s" back during the slavery era of the U.S. If you refer to a person or object or place by a very specific term long enough, it becomes commonplace, even to those who know the term is wrong. It became institutionalized.

No . He was being a racist prick ... Did you even read the article ? He basically said black people are worthless unless they are a paid athlete ... Only Then they are more appealing ... He didn't just say the N word , he said it inna way to offend the person he was speaking of , he KNEW by saying that one word he would hit it right on the button , right where it hurt ... And it did and you know what ? He could say whatever he wants , cause he is entitled to do so BUT like you said he HAS to deal with the consequences and he IS , plain and simple ... The Real " N " word is so offensive it falls on the same line as a " *** " or a " Goya Bean " or a " Wetback " ... All derogatory , hateful words made up by WHITE Americans ...

You've mistaken my position for one that supports Hogan. I'm not defending anyone who intentionally, insultingly refers to blacks as ******s, as Hogan did. I'm defending the right of anyone to actually "use" the word. The same as I'd defend the right of everyone else around that person to call them a bigot.

The point I've made repeatedly in this thread is that there is no such thing as a "bad word", only bad intentions. That is to say, no words should be "not permitted" to be spoken. You, nor I, nor anyone get to determine which words are OK to be spoken aloud. All words are permitted. Some carry more meaning than others. And when someone does use these terms, we can then act in accordance with them by calling those people what they are for using them in the manner in which Hogan used it — racists.

Again, the term itself should not be banned. No one should be forbidden from saying it. It shouldn't be referred to as "the n-word", the same way cunt shouldn't be referred to as "the c-word". When you treat these words like Lord Voldemort and refuse to even acknowledge them as actual words, you give them so much more power they need have.

Combatting racism begins with actually combatting it, not refusing to acknowledge it exists by not even having honest discussions about racist terminology. You know what the easiest way to out a racist is? Get them to say racist things. The more you cover for them by tip-toeing around what is or isn't OK, the harder and harder it is to actually out racists. That's why you see substitute terms, especially in the media, like "thug" and "savage".

And like I said before , its not much the word that is Offensive its the way you say it , how you say it and what you intended it to mean when you said it ... Im sure nobody would want to get verbally or physically assaulted , looked at differently all due to a simple word ... so why use it if you know the repercussions ? The problem with people like you is that you dont seem to see situations from all angles ... the title of this post asks should it be socially accepted for black people as a whole to use the N word ... but the problem with that question is that it always has been ... so what is the real question here ? I feel like instead , it should just read " why cant white people say the word " ****** " , too ? " so I feel as if I need to break down the difference between the two and distinguish them as two different words ... One with a positive meaning , and the other with a negative ... yes there is no such thing as a bad word , but there are derogatory and distasteful ones ... you should take youre own advice and recognize what is wrong with this situation ... how can you combat racism if you yourself refuse to recognize the word " ****** " as a racist , offensive word ? I mean that would be the basics when it comes to combating racism wouldnt it ? Knowing what to say and what not to say ?
Learn the difference .

Yes, and who are you, or I, to determine which are OK and which aren't? I gave an analogy earlier over the term '******ed' which is considered a bad word today. Yet "moron", "idiot", "imbecile" and other terms designed to insult the intelligence of the person they're being applied to are OK? Why? They all have the same intent. The same as "thug" and "savage" are OK to use when they're applied to blacks, but "******" isn't.

The reason for all of this is the entire concept of empowering words to have more meaning than they should. No one should be saying ******. It's an awful word with an awful history. But that does not mean that there should be laws against it, or that we should begin handing out street licenses, verified by no authority, giving some the right to say it and not others. What about me, for example? Can I say it? I look white, but my mother was born in Haiti. My first cousins are all dark-skinned/black. Is it OK for me? Or no, because I don't "look the part"? And no, I don't actually want to say it. These are rhetorical questions.

The more you tell people what they cannot say, like dealing with children, the more they will want to say it. When you deescalate the situations by taking the power these words have today away, they no longer become taboo.

I dont care if you want to say it or not , both my parents are spanish with dark skin , so youre not proving any points to me ... I have a bunch of friends from all different backgrounds and ethnicities and if they were to say the word " ***** " I wouldnt even blink an eye at him or her because i know it wasnt said in a way to offend me .. It all has to do with understanding the difference , idc if you say the word or not , as long as you not trynna degrade or offend me using the variation ...

It's a fairly complicated issue because there are just so many conflicting opinions on it. Downright prohibiting the use of the word is not only a genuine violation of the First Amendment but even if it wasn't, making it illegal to use the word won't prevent its use. In this country, we all know good and damn well that whenever the government passes a law prohibiting the use of something, it usually causes more problems than it solves. The prohibition of alcohol didn't work whatsoever, people drank even more and it ultimately resulted in the dawn of organized crime in the United States as we know it.

Trying to prohibit something, such as the use of this particular word, won't work because, as another poster mentioned, there's an enormous taboo associated with it. On the surface, it should be a simple thing to just discourage the use of the word altogether but, surprise surprise, human beings have this almost supernatural tendency to make things much more difficult than they have to be. Some black people believe that by embracing the word to be used exclusively by the black community are of the opinion that they're taking power from the word itself, but this often results in a double standard when you consider that the rap/hip hop music industry prominently markets and features the word knowing full well that some 70+ percent of the people purchasing the music are white. So, by the thinking of those who embrace the "it's our word now" philosophy, it's racist no matter what the circumstances are. Others in the black community feel it's a shameful word regardless of who uses it, they feel it's a sign of ignorance and frequently criticize their own community for using it. Some people of all color believe it's just a word and only has meaning if anybody assigns meaning to it.

As with anything else in life, there's no single, definable, all unifying theory of what "truth" is. A fact is something that's truly, 100% known by everyone (i.e. Earth is round, it revolves around the sun, that it isn't the center of the universe, etc.). Usage and philosophical view of the word "******" can be a fact to some and a matter of personal perspective to some others. For instance, since I'm white, there are some who would say that I have no right to decide whether or not it's socially acceptable for blacks to use the word, which is a view point I'm sure that many black people would hold and some white people as well. I'm of the opinion that if you don't want to run the risk of insulting people, maybe it's just best to avoid using words that are generally believed to be racial slurs altogether towards all people. I alluded to a double standard earlier that exists and using racial slurs directed towards white people is something that seems to be acceptable; while I know that racial terms like "cracker", "snowflake", "honky" and some others don't have the history of "******" behind it and that those words are also quite common and have other obvious meanings. However, I think we're all intelligent enough to recognize when they're being used in a racist manner and, to me, a racial slur is a racial slur.

Let's just be real about it, I'm of the opinion that racism is despicable no matter who it's aimed against. The words and terms discussed in various posts are words that can be used to express personal disdain towards someone of a different ethnic origin, the words themselves are meaningless as they're expressions of personal racial bias. You can't know what's in a person's mind, none of us are mind readers, so how can a black person really know that a white friend calling him a "******", "*****" or however the frig you want to pronounce it is doing it in the spirit of friendship because he's seen and heard blacks use it so casually? He can't but, then again, it goes back to that confusion that's been created by music, movies and TV, so, as I said, maybe it's just best to avoid the friggin' thing altogether, be done with it and truly, 100% take away any power associated with the word.

It should be acceptable but it is not and that's OK. I have such bigger problems, concerns, and interests in my life that I don't think twice about cutting it out of my vocabulary. Seems pointless to me for some African Americans wanting to own for themselves but no big deal, many of use grab power wherever we can. And the use of one word that I never planned on using is power I don't mind giving up.

I'm mostly just annoyed that I wasted the last two minutes of my life responding to such a trivial topic.

Should it be accepted for black people to say the N-word? Do you have any other thoughts on this incident?

The way I look at it is this. If someone wants to use any word in the English language they can, provided that they are willing to accept responsibility for the ramifications are that come with them using it. If you can't accept that and just go around shooting your mouth off, then shut the fuck up and think about what you're going to say before you say it.

I've never in my life used the N word, simply because growing up it just wasn't something we did. We were taught to respect other people, no matter where they came from, their colour or ethic background. If other's want to use like I said, go for gold, but if it comes back to bite you in the ass, then it's your problem.

Unless like JH said, the word is taken out of English language, which will never happen, people will use it and this shit will happen again.

If it is a derogatory term, then it should not be acceptable for any civilized and normal person to use it, irrespective of their colour. People like back alley drug dealers and 4chan users don't count, because they don't fit the above criterion.
If I call my fellow country-men "narrow-minded villagers," I should not feel offended when a foreigner does the same.
An important question to consider (the answer to which I don't know), is whether your average black people use the words *****, ******, negro etc., or only the I'm from da hood dawg types do.

Now, all that was what should (or should not) happen. Let's talk about what does happen in reality. Black sensitivity is somewhat like modern-day extreme feminism or minority-appeasement. One side can say (and says) whatever they want and no one bats an eye (did I remind you of The Joker meme there?), but when the other side does something, suddenly everyone feels offended and subjugated. If it were Booker-T or Mark Henry saying offensive things about white people, there would be no controversy and no consequence, because they are from the victimized section of society.

We have come across black people talking about whites having small dicks on many occasions, but that is never taken as racist. Over here, certain religious (minority) leaders routinely bash Hindus (majority), but it's only "freedom of speech" as long as Hindus are not saying the same things back in return. Then it becomes a controversy. Our Prime Minister was forced to get married against his will, as an underage. He didn't want family life, so he fled from home. If it were a woman, she would be hailed as an inspirational figure that didn't accept the norms society imposed on her. But since he is a man, he is often considered as someone that abandoned his wife.

These are some cases of double standards prevailing in this world that we live in. We just have to deal with it, because there isn't much that we can do to change them. If we try to discourage the hyper-sensitivity (not talking about the medical condition), we will be seen as supporting the offender or the offensive act, so why bother?

Yes. Certain groups, whether that's biological brothers, or entire minority populations around the world, have the right to choose what they want to call each other internally, as well as determine who is not allowed culturally to use those terms.

It's very simple.

Also, if you're white, male, Christian, middle class, straight, or any of the other socially privileged groups, fuck off if you think that you could POSSIBLY be discriminated against.

It's a fairly complicated issue because there are just so many conflicting opinions on it. Downright prohibiting the use of the word is not only a genuine violation of the First Amendment but even if it wasn't, making it illegal to use the word won't prevent its use. In this country, we all know good and damn well that whenever the government passes a law prohibiting the use of something, it usually causes more problems than it solves. The prohibition of alcohol didn't work whatsoever, people drank even more and it ultimately resulted in the dawn of organized crime in the United States as we know it.

Trying to prohibit something, such as the use of this particular word, won't work because, as another poster mentioned, there's an enormous taboo associated with it. On the surface, it should be a simple thing to just discourage the use of the word altogether but, surprise surprise, human beings have this almost supernatural tendency to make things much more difficult than they have to be. Some black people believe that by embracing the word to be used exclusively by the black community are of the opinion that they're taking power from the word itself, but this often results in a double standard when you consider that the rap/hip hop music industry prominently markets and features the word knowing full well that some 70+ percent of the people purchasing the music are white. So, by the thinking of those who embrace the "it's our word now" philosophy, it's racist no matter what the circumstances are. Others in the black community feel it's a shameful word regardless of who uses it, they feel it's a sign of ignorance and frequently criticize their own community for using it. Some people of all color believe it's just a word and only has meaning if anybody assigns meaning to it.

As with anything else in life, there's no single, definable, all unifying theory of what "truth" is. A fact is something that's truly, 100% known by everyone (i.e. Earth is round, it revolves around the sun, that it isn't the center of the universe, etc.). Usage and philosophical view of the word "******" can be a fact to some and a matter of personal perspective to some others. For instance, since I'm white, there are some who would say that I have no right to decide whether or not it's socially acceptable for blacks to use the word, which is a view point I'm sure that many black people would hold and some white people as well. I'm of the opinion that if you don't want to run the risk of insulting people, maybe it's just best to avoid using words that are generally believed to be racial slurs altogether towards all people. I alluded to a double standard earlier that exists and using racial slurs directed towards white people is something that seems to be acceptable; while I know that racial terms like "cracker", "snowflake", "honky" and some others don't have the history of "******" behind it and that those words are also quite common and have other obvious meanings. However, I think we're all intelligent enough to recognize when they're being used in a racist manner and, to me, a racial slur is a racial slur.

Let's just be real about it, I'm of the opinion that racism is despicable no matter who it's aimed against. The words and terms discussed in various posts are words that can be used to express personal disdain towards someone of a different ethnic origin, the words themselves are meaningless as they're expressions of personal racial bias. You can't know what's in a person's mind, none of us are mind readers, so how can a black person really know that a white friend calling him a "******", "*****" or however the frig you want to pronounce it is doing it in the spirit of friendship because he's seen and heard blacks use it so casually? He can't but, then again, it goes back to that confusion that's been created by music, movies and TV, so, as I said, maybe it's just best to avoid the friggin' thing altogether, be done with it and truly, 100% take away any power associated with the word.

I agree with you in principle, but I need to point out the bolded here is wrong.

Facts are something that has really occurred or is actually the case. They are known to be true by actual experience or observation. Nothing is truly 100% know by everyone, like the Earth being round. That’s taught to children in science classes early, but a two-year old has no concept of this, so would this cease to be a fact for them? It would under your definition.

When you say “usage and philosophical view of the word “******” can be a fact to some and a matter of personal perspective to some others”, what you are doing is committing two logical fallacies — the first being the relativist/subjectivist fallacy (what’s true for you isn’t true for me), the second infringing on special pleading (an argument in which you deliberately ignore aspects that are unfavorable to your point of view).

The word “******” is a racial slur with a racist history. This is fact because we know it to be true. We can trace it’s lineage all the way back to the Latin word niger, meaning black. That word became the noun “negro” in English, “negre” and “negress” in modern French language and additional early substitutions (often fueled by a lack of education and accents) like “negar”, “neegar”, “negar” and “niggor”. The prevailing theory is that “******” became the phoentic spelling of the White Southern mispronunciation of “Negro”. By the early 1800’s, it was firmly established as a derogatory term for Blacks.

This is how we know it to be a fact, on top of it’s persistent use by racist groups specifically when talking about blacks. This would not change whether you knew this to be true or not. It’s a fact irrespective of how much or how little you know of its history. It’s not true for those who know the history and not true for those who don’t. This is why facts are true regardless of whether you believe in them or not. They are what has really occurred or is actually the case, not what you believe to be such, or hope to be such.

I just choose not to say it. Despite what Webster says it's definition by Webster is only used generally when someone is trying to defend their hated fill use of it. Some write it off as no big deal and some such as myself have delt with the term being used towards me throughout my life. Rather it's by my color in the 'gga' use or the 'er' I hate to hear it - even from fellow AA. I don't believe in the whole; "we flipped it and made it a positive" bullshit. So to answer the question, no it's not okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back