Sheamus's finisher

CM Steel

A REAL American
Ever since we first saw Sheamus debut on the now defunct ECW brand. We've seen him use various finishing moves. First he used the "irish curse" backbreaker. A then upon him being moved to RAW Sheamus started using the "celtic cross" aka the Razor's/Outsider's edge.

And then after that came the brogue kick. Which is a finisher that can not be reversed or counter. And as we saw last night on WWE "All-Stars". Sheamus debuted his version of Deam Malenko's Texas Cloverleaf dubbed "the Shamrock".

If Sheamus could ever figure it out, why can't he just use the F-5 as a finisher? He could bring that finisher back to life! He has the size for it. And he's already gotta that Brock Lesner-like push anyways. And since Triple H endourse's Sheamus's career anyways, why not let Sheamus adopt Kevin Nash's Jacknife powerbomb finisher? He could re-name it "the global yoodle" or something like that?

But I just think that Sheamus could use a better finisher than the one he has now.

There is nothing wrong with any of Sheamus' finishers.

Firstly, I don't believe he ever used the Irish Curse as a finishing move in the WWE. It's always been used as a faux-finisher, in that he'll hit it and then go for the cover, but his opponent will always kick out. Orton does the same thin with his backbreaker, Dolph Ziggler does the same thing with his Fame Asser.

Secondly, I wouldn't get ahead of myself with the Shamrock. Plenty of guys debut submission maneuvers only to see them disappear and make rare appearances. Big Show's camel clutch comes to mind as an example of this.

Finally, Sheamus' Brogue Kick and Pale Justice are both great finishers for him. Pale Justice shows off his upper body strength and is a very dominating looking finisher. The Brogue Kick shows off his speed, agility, and his tree trunk sized legs. There's no reason he should switch finishers again, as that would just be the beginning of a reputation for having a revolving door of finishers.

One of the things that makes Sheamus such a dangerous looking competitor is he now has 3 ways to put people away. The Brouge Kick, Celtic Cross, and the Cloverleaf. The Irish curse backbreaker is down to a signature move now from it being his debut finisher in WWECW. But if he hits either of those two other moves, it's been lights out.

I have no problem with his move set. I think it's great to know that adding the Cloverleaf to his move set makes him more dangerous because now he has a long set up finisher (Celtic Cross), an explosive finisher (Brogue kick), and a submission move (cloverleaf).

I find all these moves to be more impactful than the F-5 which I always viewed as a weak looking finisher (much as I view the A.A. as a weak finisher). It's my understanding that the F-5 was supposed to be a facebuster/DDT like move, but it always looked like a toss. Just like the A.A. is supposed to be a slam, it always looks like a toss as well, you hardly ever see Cena get the look of a slam.

He has one of the most brilliant finishers in the WWE...
Alongside RKO and Zig Zag, its actually a pretty fast move to make and can strike out of nowhere.

The Cloverleaf could and could not be forgotten JGlass, I remember seeing The Undertaker using the "Hell's Gate" in the first place and people saying the same thing, and he just won the WrestleMania match with it.
The reason for a Superstar add a Submission Move in their army, it's for purposes of entertainment, he will use that move once in a while (like Edge) and the move will start to being seen as a threat until it becomes a Signature moves against upper-midcards and main-eventers (CM Punk Anaconda Vise) and it will give some intensity and the expectation will always grow up with it...

First off, "global yoodle" :wtf:? Where do you think Ireland is, Scandinavia?

Powerbomb is too passée and is a variation of the 'Celtic Cross' anyway. The F5 is okay but possibly too similar to the AA. If Sheamus was to redebut an old classic, given his physique I think he'd hit a mean looking 'Clothesline From Hell' and it could be a mean follow up to a missed 'Brogue' - call it something like the 'Gaelic Garrote' or the 'Dublin Decapitation'.

... "global yoodle":disappointed:

Not to mention if you haven't noticed the WWE has stayed away from power bombs since Batista left the company. Its a real easy move to botch and can result is serious injury.

I think his finishers are fine though, seems like this could have went in the thread about right above it...

What's wrong with Sheamus' finisher? Is it the name Cloverleaf? Newsflash, the man is Celtic. A name like Cloverleaf adds another layer to his Celtic Warrior character, as clovers are sometimes associated with that region. You should instead be glad that Sheamus is trying something new because so many guys would not be willing to differ from the style they become comfortable with in the ring. He did a good job with that finisher. I like the Brogue Kick and the High Cross too. Sheamus really has a great selection of finishers. None of them are bad in my opinion.

Not to mention if you haven't noticed the WWE has stayed away from power bombs since Batista left the company. Its a real easy move to botch and can result is serious injury.

I think his finishers are fine though, seems like this could have went in the thread about right above it...
That Batista clone gone wrong Mason Ryan uses the powerbomb now Josh! Pay attention to the product!

And that other Sheamus thread was there after I finished typing mine because I didn't see it in time. And if Sheamus or any other wrestler uses the PB. They will be made sure that it's done well while wrestling in the WWE. Unlike that time in WCW where Kevin Nash super botched the Big Show (Giant) in the ring.

-yawns- Every time someone attempts to evolve as a character someone has to bitch and moan. The way I see it, I've always seen the addition of a submission finisher as a good thing because the regular finishers can be countered, reversed, or just not right. Let's go back to when Brock Lesnar used the Brock Lock. Great submission hold, but he couldn't get the proper leverage on Rey Mysterio to cinch it in properly, so he went back to the F5. Here's another example: Big Show. He's used the chokeslam for years and years, but he has the KO punch for a quick finish, the Final Cut (that legdrop thing he does now and then) and the Colossal Clutch for submission and humiliation purposes.

I quite like the idea of evolving his moveset and adding/changing finishers on occasion. It really improves his ability to build a match. He's very similar, for example, to the Undertaker, in this regard. Taker has finished, at varying points in his career, with the Last Ride, the Tombstone, and the Hell's Gate. Other guys have a similar thing happening for them. It's very good for the WWE style. When one examines a big WWE match, it usually involves hitting a lot of big, signature moves. The more well established these moves are, the better. I feel like between the Irish Curse, the High Cross, the Brogue Kick, and now the Cloverleaf, Sheamus has built a complete profile of big, signature moves that look like a threat to anybody. Contrast this with, for example, Randy Orton. One of Orton's big moves is his special backbreaker. While a good move, it never looks like it's a threat to pin anybody. In the same situation, Sheamus can pull out a move that looks like a big threat and might end the match. It adds a lot to his matches and makes him better all around.

Sheamus has a moveset, that has some very good impact and power moves, hell he's even doing slingshot moves, he's moves show that he has ability of being high impact, power and even agile. Him debuting the Cloverleaf was entertaining, that's all it kind of was used for, he could add it to his regular moveset as part of his character too. Sheamus has always been a favourite of mine and his moveset too because it shows what kind of things he's capable of.

I like his adding of the cloverleaf to his move set. It makes sense that he'd add a that move too, due to the name and his Irish gimmick... er heritage. Not only does it add ways for him to win his regular matches, it allows people to think he's a legit threat in a submissions match.

Hopefully, he doesn't over use the move. It'll keep it in our minds as a way he can win and it won't become old and expected.

Sheamus is fine where he is right now. I think his two most vicious-looking regular moves are the clubbing blows to the chest while his opponent is tied against the ropes on the outside apron, and the knee to the face from the apron. The Brogue kick is such a brutal looking move and actually looks like it could knock out people. Like Randy Orton, Sheamus can hit it at any moment (ex. Daniel Bryan). His Irish Curse back breaker adds to his destructive force. All in all, the guy has a downright strenuous power moveset. The addition of the Texas Cloverleaf only strengthens what he already has. There's no need to change anything.

Ever since we first saw Sheamus debut on the now defunct ECW brand. We've seen him use various finishing moves. First he used the "irish curse" backbreaker. A then upon him being moved to RAW Sheamus started using the "celtic cross" aka the Razor's/Outsider's edge.

And then after that came the brogue kick. Which is a finisher that can not be reversed or counter. And as we saw last night on WWE "All-Stars". Sheamus debuted his version of Deam Malenko's Texas Cloverleaf dubbed "the Shamrock".

If Sheamus could ever figure it out, why can't he just use the F-5 as a finisher? He could bring that finisher back to life! He has the size for it. And he's already gotta that Brock Lesner-like push anyways. And since Triple H endourse's Sheamus's career anyways, why not let Sheamus adopt Kevin Nash's Jacknife powerbomb finisher? He could re-name it "the global yoodle" or something like that?

But I just think that Sheamus could use a better finisher than the one he has now.

First of all, the F-5 shouldn't be brought back in this generation. That was just a messed up move. So damn....ouch...that's all......

There's nothing wrong with the Brogue Kick. I love it when big characters use the Pump Kick. It's quick and can be hit from out of nowhere. The Irish Curse is more like a momentum stopper move.
Global Yoodle?......... Seriously?

Addition of a submission move to a wrestler's moveset is always a good thing to me. Most of the wrestlers should try having at least one of these type of moves to their ammunition. Best example was Randy Orton using the boston crab at Over the Limit and before that, no one would have thought he could have a chance in a submission match should he appear in one. I hope he uses it again though.

..."Global yoodle"? WTF? Ooookay, moving on... *shakes head*

I think that Sheamus--or anyone--adding a submission move is an interesting game-changer. Frankly, the idea that a single finishing move is the only way a guy can win a match, and a surefire way of doing so, is kind of absurd, if you really think about it from an overly-simplistic standpoint (why not do it first thing in the match, if that's the case?). Having ways to vary that is pretty awesome, and makes a "big match" more interesting--think of how many different moves HBK had to counter in his 'Mania matches with 'Taker. Adding to a moveset shows growth and dedication. It's when guys swap established and good moves for others, never to do them again, that is a bad thing. If he stopped doing the Brogue kick, for example and exclusively used the cloverleaf, it would suck. I see no reason to believe that that would happen, however.

Adding a submission maneouvre to his repertoire gives him one of the most complete movesets in WWE. A guy being able to end a match in a variety of ways, plus having some high impact "signature moves" (Irish Curse, slingshot shoulder block, charging double axe-handle) that could also feasibly do so makes every second of his matches dramatic and suspenseful. It's also a unique balance of power and agility--and now technical skill--that I struggle to find a match for in WWE.

I have to say, he has come such a long way from the (IMO) undeserving champion who looked uncomfortable on the mic and lumbered around the ring trying to look fierce to one of the most well-rounded and entertaining Superstars, both in the ring and on the mic. I used to hate the guy, but have become a huge fan.

As an aside, does anyone else think that the sudden addition of submission moves (sleeper, ankle lock, cloverleaf, etc.) is a reaction to UFC?

I always thought that every major star in the WWE needs a faux-finisher or signature move, power or quick finisher, and a submission. I think that it's a great idea to give Sheamus a submission move. This is because in 5 years Sheamus will be a top heel.

I realize that many top stars don't have a submission move. Randy Orton, Miz, and Rey are now the only TOP stars without a submission finishers. Reys to small for one anyway.

First off Mack Swagger when is the last time Mason Ryan wrestled a singles match on Raw? Yeah, I couldn't tell ya' either.

And the few time I have seen him (debut attack of Cena and match with Kane come to mind) he uses a side slam as his finisher. When is the last time Mason Ryan power bombed someone on Raw?

Know your product donkey.

And the power bomb is a dangerous move whoever executes it, WWE worker or not. Its real easy to drop someone on there neck doing a power bomb. A lot of things can go wrong. For you to act like WWE workers don't botch moves makes me think you don't watch the product. Call me crazy.

There's nothing wrong with his current finishers. The Pale Justice and the Brogue Kick are still his primary finishers, I'm sure they probably just wanted to add another wrinkle into his character and make him more dangerous, so why not give him a submission maneuver? Plenty of guys have adopted submission finishers later on in their careers, Undertaker is the obvious example, he added the Hell's Gate just a few years ago. It's simple really, it just makes the wrestler have more depth in their move set. It allows for a variety of different finishes and it just makes Sheamus seem more brutal.

What you're saying here makes no sense. You're complaining about the amount of finishers he's had and all the changes he's made, so you want him to switch it up again? There's no need. His finishers fit him perfectly, not only that, but you want him to go from a Razor's Edge to a Powerbomb? It's NEARLY the same move. I thinking you're just pulling at straws here, there's nothing wrong with Sheamus' finishers.

/\ Exactly. His kick can be hit out of no where and Pale Justice is a power finish. Adding the Cloverleaf just makes him more well rounded. It makes for more possible match finishes and make him not look like such a raging bull to technical wrestlers.

The AA, GTS and the Wasteland all start with the fireman's carry and the hold gets kicked out of almost always. At least Sheamus is original with his finishers.

Also, I saw Christian "counter" the Brogue Kick by ducking out of it and letting Sheamus hit the ropes awkwardly.

First off Mack Swagger when is the last time Mason Ryan wrestled a singles match on Raw? Yeah, I couldn't tell ya' either.

And the few time I have seen him (debut attack of Cena and match with Kane come to mind) he uses a side slam as his finisher. When is the last time Mason Ryan power bombed someone on Raw?

Know your product donkey.

And the power bomb is a dangerous move whoever executes it, WWE worker or not. Its real easy to drop someone on there neck doing a power bomb. A lot of things can go wrong. For you to act like WWE workers don't botch moves makes me think you don't watch the product. Call me crazy.

Your crazy, donkey!

Mason Ryan has powerbombed a few guys down the line since he debut on RAW. You can youtube a Mason Ryan match if that will help you? But I know WTF I'm talk'in about here "kid".

Look at Mason Ryan's debut and more recently his match with Kane, he used a side slam as his finish. My point is Mason Ryan is so terrible in the ring, he rarely gets on TV anyway so it doesn't really matter.

And why does it matter? This thread is really about an established main event and how he should over haul his whole move set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back