• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sheamus Wants Rusev

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
After Night of Champions Sunday night, Sheamus was a guest on Busted Open, the SiriusXM program, talking about various subjects ranging from his match against Cesaro, regaining momentum after coming back from being injured, locker room morale after the announcement of Roman Reigns' injury, etc. One of the subjects he touched on was that he'd like to feud with Rusev over the United States Championship after the host mentioned they've been "campaigning" for the match.

"I would love to do it too; RUSEV has been on a roll as of late; been a slow and steady build and he put away Mark Henry last night. I am proud to hold the US Title because I am proud to live in this country. Regards to RUSEV I would love to take him on; Big, strong, physical fella. I think a brogue will go really nice on the right side of his face."

I've stated in various posts that Rusev going after the United States Championship is perfectly logical. For months, Rusev has been "belittling" America and humbling any of the wrestlers who "stand up" on behalf of America. Going after the United States Championship and winning it would be the perfect step in, kayfabe, cementing Rusev's dominance as the "super athlete" and a nice middle finger to American patriotism. A strongly booked run as champion, with him possibly dropping it come WrestleMania XXXI, MIGHT be enough to propel him into a main event spot in the post WrestleMania season.

Eh, not a fan of Rusev, but I'd love to see Sheamus taking him down, it will gain him enough momentum to be back on the upper mid cards.

Why they do not have Rusev go after Sheamus is beyond me, as i am sure these two could very well have the feud that actually brings prestige back to the US Title. I am not knocking Cesaro as he is a phenomenal athlete....and let's face it...the US Title is sort of beneath his level of performance (what happened to that baby face push anyway?). While their match at Night of Champions was I a solid, hard hitting bout, could you imagine the absolute slug fest Rusev and Sheamus would have?

Going after the United States Championship and winning it would be the perfect step in, kayfabe, cementing Rusev's dominance as the "super athlete" and a nice middle finger to American patriotism.

In fact, the irony of two Europeans fighting for the US title would be amusing, yet the sight of the two of them battling tooth-and-nail to establish superiority might create genuine excitement in the spectacle, as well as some badly needed interest in the US title itself.

Rusev is moving up. After taking down Jack Swagger and Mark Henry, Sheamus is a solid, logical step forward for Rusev. If WWE plans to continue the solid push he's received so far, he has to go through Sheamus; slowing down the push by forcing Rusev to do battle with Dolph Ziggler or Kofi Kingston just keeps him in a holding pattern.

Sheamus, meanwhile, is no longer cast as a top echelon wrestler; he loses cleanly on occasion, yet seems to represent the gateway to main event status.....you want to get to guys like Cena, Orton and Lesnar? Fine, you gotta go through the Celtic Warrior first.

The matches against Swagger showed that Rusev can handle the rough ring style, which is exactly what Sheamus is about.

I hope it happens. We might even see Rusev' first loss......but I think he'd win the feud and keep advancing upward.

Blah, this is where things get very silly for me.

Rusev isn't just pushed as a devout Russian convert, he's pushed as a guy who has a massive chip on his shoulder regarding American pride. Sheamus is a delightfully Irish chap who plays up his stereotypical behavior to a level where it's as if he's auditioning for an offensive Family Guy cut-away gag.

If these guys aren't battling over national pride, then it's hardly a face vs heel contest.

The US title doesn't carry national pride by the way, it's just another stupid belt if it's on Sheamus. It would be stupid, at this point, to have Sheamus beat Rusev. Rusev changing the belt to the Russian title, as some have suggested before me, would draw massive heat in low-brow jingoistic areas (Texas, Pennsylvania). There's also the fact that Sheamus is basically a red hair dye soaked wet blanket, stopping Rusev's roll would do nothing for his on-air appeal.

Make this a quick feud so we can finally have a US title match at Wrestlemania that's worth the *ugh* 9.99.

Sheamus is a delightfully Irish chap who plays up his stereotypical behavior to a level where it's as if he's auditioning for an offensive Family Guy cut-away gag.

This was ALL Sheamus - no WWe scriptwriters would have had a Scooby. It's always been said that a successful wrestling gimmick is generally one that isn't too far from the truth - Sheamus very much falls in that category.

I like the idea of this feud. It has the potential of actually getting Sheamus some much needed face heat (provided it isn't too OTT). A foreigner singing the praises of the good ole USofA and defending the belt named after her against an anti-American proponent brings a new dynamic to the rinse repeat nature of an All-American American followed by an American Olympian (who next - Hogan? Slaughter? Cena?). We've had decades of the American hero turning back foreign haters and the most famous of these heroes was (kayfabe) Irish American, Sheamus saving Hogan from a Rusev beating could be a great way to start a rivalry.

This would be a good feud, I look forward to it happening. But I think it would be a while before it happens. It really seems they are building Rusev up to be taken down by another patriotic face. I really believe they are building up to a Kurt Angle return.
I think him "going over HHH's head" and talking to Mcmahon, "infuriating" HHH is kayfabe and will set up a rivalry with the authority.

After that, Rusev vs. Sheamus would be awesome.

At this point, the logical step for Rusev is to indeed challenge someone of Sheamus/Big Show's status and either of those guys would be a great pick for his next challenge.

In actual fact, the US title should be below the level of Rusev, but because of Sheamus being the holder, such a feud could take place, with Rusev going over, and then he could change it into the "Russian" title,etc, and have a run until Mania, where someone is put forward to take him down.

As to who should take him down...
If Wrestlemania 31 could be an official "Dawn of a New Generation" event with the Main guys for the future going against guys already established, then I'd love if Rusev goes up against a returning Daniel Bryan or a veteran like Kurt Angle.

Against Bryan, assuming Rusev continues to generate the heat he is currently, I can see a Daniel Bryan Tap Out victory over an undefeated Rusev blowing the roof off the building.

I keep hoping they will have Rusev feud with Sheamus. Putting the U.S. Title on an American hating Russian will be good heat, and a win over sheamus would be a big one that could really bump Rusev up to the next level. Not quite main event, but upper mid card just about to crack the ceiling.

I'm not feeling this feud at all. First of all Rusev has been booked against guys that exemplify the USA almost since he debuted. Isn't that the wrong crux of his gimmick, USA vs Russia.

Sheamus is Irish, so unless all of a sudden he wants a fight with the Irish, and who the hell wants to start anything with the Irish is beyond me, then have at it. Yes, Sheamus is holding the US title, but the way Rusev has been handled, you would think that winning the US title, would be something beneath him. What the hero of the Russian Federation going after the lowly US title. Nah I'm not getting where this would go.

Now it would be interesting if they did it to unify the titles. Like have Rusev beat Sheamus, get the title, and then have the whole locker room make fun of Rusev because the only title he can win is the one he should hate the most. Then he could pitch it into the Gulf of Mexico, you know the place where they like to throw wrestling paraphernalia and other wrestlers. Hereby getting rid of the title, and bamm, we have one mid card title, the IC.

Now that would heartily entertain me, so the odds on it happening are slim to none, but I can dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back