• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Summerslam - Flag Match: Jack Swagger VS Rusev

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
After a confrontation this past Friday on SmackDown!, a flag match between Swagger & Rusev has been signed.

On the whole, I can't exactly say that I'm all that thrilled about flag matches as a whole, but it makes sense when you consider the overall story here with the displays of patriotism on both sides. The overall strength of this match will generally revolve around the suspenseful moments in which each guy comes close to capturing his opponent's flag. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't mind if they did this in the form of a ladder match as a means of jacking up the suspense, but that's not gonna happen.

At any rate, I think Swagger will ultimately go over Rusev here and it'll be a means to have Rusev lose in a way that won't require him getting pinned or forced to submit. Hence, Rusev doesn't really lose anything and fans get something of a feel good moment. After this, I see one more match between them that results in Rusev earning a decisive pinfall or submission victory over Swagger before moving on, possibly into a feud over the United States Championship.

I love the idea. We've been wondering for a few weeks now if they'll make it a Flag Match or will it remain a normal one-fall match. Putting the flags out there as a part of the match puts an extra value in as much that that you are now defending the pride, honour, and prestige of your country in the physical form of its national flag; Whoever loses this match will be letting his country down against their most disliked enemy.

I second your suggestion that Rusev should lose this match, not lose any momentum, then go on to beat Swagger decisively at the next PPV... But I see a problem with it: Although the logic isn't flawed, Is this not being a little repetitive? By "this", I mean one guy winning the first match, the other guy brushing it off like it was nothing and winning the second match. For example, we saw this in the Cena-Wyatt feud; its happening now in the Jericho-Wyatt feud.

I like it. It's better than one of their regular gimmick matches that they pull out.

It works because Swagger can claim a victory in this match without hurting Rusev. Swagger has gotten over better than expected and ultimately I hope that he's the one who'll truly benefit from this feud. WWE wanted to push him hard last year for a reason, hopefully they do it again.

For those members of this forum who are eternally "bored" with WWE and claim that nothing new is ever presented, it should be noted that only in the fantasy world of pro wrestling can there exist a concept in which a group of "Real Americans" function as heels. Show me another form of entertainment or politics in which the participants stand with their hands over their hearts and shout "We the People" while getting booed to the rafters. It's a scripting feat worth appreciating, if you stop to think about it.

Jack Swagger is doing better in his feud with Rusev since WWE Creative decided his natural progression as a character would cause him to turn into a good guy; it took only a dose of nationalism to bring it about..... after all, the evil Russians (or Bulgarians, or whatever the hell they are) can't talk about us the way they do, right? Lazy nation? Weaklings? We'll show 'em....and if it takes a couple of former immigrant-haters like Jack & Zeb to do the job, then that's the way it'll go down. After all, they had Swagger beat Cesaro cleanly to show us he's ready to get the best of Rusev. Yes, Cesaro previously proved himself superior to Jack, but a face turn can work wonders, can't it?

A flag match is a great idea. As other posters have said, it allows Swagger to clean Rusev's clock without stalling the big guy's push. Swagger should win and proclaim his victory with a flag-waving ceremony that cements his "face" status while showing the rest of the world we won't be trifled with, but the feud between the two won't end with this match......Rusev is headed for bigger things while Swagger might get a few wins in the coming months over lesser opposition .....but in the end, he's still Jack Swagger, the guy who keeps getting pushed, yet winds up nowhere for all his noble efforts. Rusev will eventually leave him lying.

Enjoy your moment basking in the cheers, Jack. I think there's only a limited amount of time that you and Zeb can feature as good guys.

Eh. Swagger is competent in the ring, but I don't think he "has it". Definitely not a good face.

I hope Rusev destroys him here, and that's the end of this.

On the fence for this match.

I think Swagger should win because Rusev still hasn't been pinned or submitted, however I could also see them having Rusev win and he attacks Swagger after the match, with Swagger eventually kicking him out of the ring and waving the flag regardless.

You say that is repetitive but really not sure what else they can do as the nature of thew fued has two outcomes....A) Guy A beats guy B multiple times or B they trade victories. That is how feuds work.
I second your suggestion that Rusev should lose this match, not lose any momentum, then go on to beat Swagger decisively at the next PPV... But I see a problem with it: Although the logic isn't flawed, Is this not being a little repetitive? By "this", I mean one guy winning the first match, the other guy brushing it off like it was nothing and winning the second match. For example, we saw this in the Cena-Wyatt feud; its happening now in the Jericho-Wyatt feud.

I actually called this match,im right 1 in about 10 times Haha! Anyway,it is amazing what a match like this can do! Or a face turn anyway.. Flag matches are unique,we know how it works. Matches like these,always are a good way to show how patriotic one is towards their nation..

I think Swagger goes over in this match,he almost has too.. IN this match though,Rusev really wont lose anything he wont be pinned or made to submit at all.. Jack has been really hot lately,as Zeb as the mouthpiece and Jack not saying anything and just going to work.. This is the way they should have done this with jack to begin with.

Some guys are just better off,going to work letting others be their mouthpiece.. But I wanna see Volkoff accompany Rusev to the ring and have Good ol Nikolai sing the Russian National Anthem just for good ol times sake

Should be good. Both guys have been very physical, as all of Rusev's matches has been (and he's won me over because of it). I'm interested to see how they book it.

I'm hoping the feud ends at Summerslam so Rusev can move to feud with somebody like Sheamus for the US Championship, if they choose to not unify it with the IC Championship anytime soon.

It would make a lot of sense for him to pursue the US Championship eventually since he's anti-American

I am enjoying Rusev and Lana. Kinda brings me back to my childhood in wrestling in a way. It has been done over and over, but the foreign heel is working for me this time. I love the flag match and like was said before, this gives Swagger a chance to win without hurting Rusev. Swagger get the win here I believe and they both move on after.

This has been one of the best feuds going recently besides Ambrose/Rollins. I think the feud continues honestly. Losing a flag match won't hurt Rusev since he's not being pinned. I've got Swagger on this one.

I wanna say that Swagger will win. I really do. But something in my gut is telling me that after this feud, Rusev will be moving on to something better. Swagger is over more than what I would have predicted, so props to WWE for finally turning him face.

Rusev will probably go after the U.S. title on Sheamus, which if he can win, will be good because of the Russian background. And WWE will capitalize on that due to the attention from the media.

Swagger, well, I'm not exactly sure where he goes next. The American gimmick will only go so far. This isn't the 80's anymore.

But Rusev has this one. Sorry Jack.

In a very weird twist, I think Swagger should win this. His face turn has been wonderful and, given the circumstances, he could be a contender for the World Title.

Rusev is good but I feel he hasn't a chance to show what he can do in the ring. Lana is strong on the mic and they are a good combination but Swagger has a lot of potential. Swagger winning this could give him some momentum that could be carried forward in a major feud. The fact it is a flag match means Rusev doesn't have to be pinned and he can simply move on to feud with someone like Big Show or Mark Henry who have nothing to lose.

20140730_LIGHT_SS_matches_Swagger_Rusev_homepage.jpg

It's time for Rusev to lose. The promos Lana has been doing have been building up to something like this match type, and the victory here would do a lot of good for establishing Swagger as a face. Rusev sucks. He may seem like he has more to lose, but he's not the first generic boring big guy and he won't be the last. Swagger benefits more from the win due to how and it would give a good moment to the fans when Swagger wins and proudly holds up the American flag while Zeb leads a loud WE THE PEOPLE chant. I don't have particularly high expectations for it considering the match type but also the fact that Rusev sucks. It probably won't be any better than their Battleground match. This goes on earlier in the evening, I'd say second or third.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Jack Swagger will defeat Rusev.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back