• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sheamus; The Leader Of The New Generation?

Ferbian

Has Returned.
Now as some of you may know, in 1996 there was the slammy award for "Leader of the new generation" which was won by Shawn Michaels. As of late we've seen a lot of new faces (the past years time) who have either debuted, or started to truly shine through in this period of time. Sheamus, Nexus, Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger etc.

I found myself watching Brian Fritz from AOL Fanhouse interviewing Sheamus, and he talked about the changing of the guard in terms of the roster getting new additions, new champions, new people being pushed.

[YOUTUBE]6rZbJvZ60DE[/YOUTUBE]​

And really, a lot of what he's saying is something that I find to be rather true. He is certainly the first of the "new-comers" to really step through the ropes and take control. He has cemented himself among the main event guys in a matter of less than a year since his first WWE championship, and has been on a roll ever since. This movement has eventually cleared up for many of the other guys. Nexus has debuted and ran amok on RAW, and Dolph Ziggler has himself a dominating Intercontinental championship reign, Bryan Danielson is thriving in the United States championship picture, and many more things have changed ever since the first reign of Sheamus.

So, is Sheamus really the leader of the new generation? Or is it just all a coincidence?

I think he is, I might not go to as far as to call him the face of the new generation but I think he certainly can fill Trips' spot when he hangs up the boots. About changing the guard and stuff it really depends weather the company would like him to do something like that. What I find problematic is that Miz, Sheamus, Bryan are all up and comers but Orton and Cena will hold E for atleast a good 20 years. ESPECIALLY Cena because you can hate him all you want, but if he's out on injury expect him back in less than six months. So Sheamus could very well be the symbol of big pushes but as far as leader of a new generation--it's still skeptical since he still has many other things to do before the crowd, the IWC take him as a serious, solid ME'r.

Oh and he also plays a fantastic heel in and outta ring.

I think he is "The Leader" like as he said. He's already a two time WWE Champion and in his career I think he will hold the world championship at least 3-4 more times with a couple long reigns. After watching this interview I have gained a lot of respect for Sheamus to be honest. As for Cena and Orton in the next 20 years? Wouldn't count on twenty but I would say about 7-10 more years.

I watched that yesterday. Two things jumped at me a) He must really play up the Irish accent for Raw and b) Sheamus was boring in the interview.

I think it is one of those funny coincidences. HBK, Batista, Taker, and HHH have all left or been on the shelf for most of the time since Sheamus' first run. And as much as having an injury sucks or having one of your favorite wrestler leave, its time to fucking move on.

I watched the same interview, and enjoyed it. I didn't find him boring at all. It was nice to see Sheamus break character from time to time within the intervierw.

As for him being the leader of a new generation, I would have to say yes. He broke through and won a title an hour after Drew McIntyre, but he won the big one, and against the face of the company. I think that alone should say he's become the leader of the new generation.

And yeah, that was around the time that Vince decided he wanted to go with a "youth movement". I know Sheamus isn't "young" at 32, but he's relatively new in the eyes of viewers. And he was the first one who really broke through and did something with his championship reign. He used it to propel himself into a nice feud with HHH, and then, John Cena.

Like you said Ferbian, others have broken through since and made an impact. Nexus has obviously been the biggest of them, but you have to count Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler among them as well. And Sheamus was really the one who began that, because he didsomething with his title reign(propelled himself into large feuds), where Drew McIntyre, who won a title at the same PPV, has not. I don't think its a coincidence at all.

I'd actually say no, but I think he will be. What I mean is, he's had his moments and is a 2 time champion already, but let's not forget there was a LOT of dissent in the IWC for both the way he was booked as champion, and how he won/retained the belt. His stand-out match for me was against Orton at HIAC where I thought he should have won, but instead it seemed to be the start of 'Super-Orton's 5 moves' routine.

Despite him not winning the belt (yet) Wade Barret seems to be the leader of the new generation. He's been in charge of Nexus which has been the big story of the year so it just seems by proxy that Wade gets the nod.

The guys you mentioned are doing alright, but I don't know if I would go as far as to say that Dolph has been dominating with his IC Title run. The whole sideshow with Vickie and Kaitlyn has carried his run in the pat month or 2, and let's not forget that Bryan spanked him 3 times in a row.

First, Dowds, I hope you know enough about wrestling to know Dolph losing had nothing to do with his ability (considering he was in with the best in world, he hung in there ok). Likewise, ability had nothing to do with Seamus being a two time champion. It's based solely on him being buddies with Trips. McIntyre is another who owes his straps to back stage plaudits.

The face of the 'new generation' will be either Seamus or, I fear, the Miz. The question will be who kisses up and becomes the better company guy like Cena and Trips. Barrett has a shot as well, given the reports of his brown nosing going down well, likewise with McIntyre. Orton and Cena will be around long enough to hand over the torch as it were. But it will be a changing of the gaurd backstage not on camera which will directly affect who becomes the new 'face'.

Alas I fear for the efforts of the turely talented like Kaval, Del Rio and of course, Danielson. I think the exception(s) will be McIntyre and Seamus. PV

Yeh Malenko I do realise that, I just thought it was a bit strong to use the word dominating and connect it to Dolph's IC run. He has some talent, but I can't tell if he's just slowly getting better or grinding to a halt just now!
I agree with your fear of the Miz though, and for Kaval, Del Rio and Danielson. However, it's been a while since the technically gifted were seen as leaders in WWE, last 2 I can think of were probably Eddie and Kurt in Smackdown several years ago.

I think Sheamus was the first among the bunch of newcomers to win a World Title. But that does not make him the leader of the new generation.

I think that honor should go to Wade Barrett. Frankly Sheamus' first run with the belt flopped. His second run was somewhat better than his firt but I do not think it compares to the stuff Wade has done since his debut. He has been the real beneficiary of the Nexus angle, a title run notwithstanding. Plus there are still doubts over Sheamus' in ring ability as well as his promo cutting ability. As far as Wade is concerned at least no one doubts his promo cutting skills.

So being first does not neccesarily mean better. And of the number of guys who have been pushed to the main event since November 2009 I'd say Wade has been the biggest success. Hence in my opinion he is the leader of the new generation of WWE.

Sheamus is going to be one of the top handful of guys in the next few years.
I don't see the WWE having just one guy at the top (Austin, Hogan etc.).

Sheamus, Barrett, Swagger, McIntyre and the Miz will be the top of the card.

I think Sheamus is going to be the Undertaker if the next few years. When Undertaker leaves, we'll probably even see a streak for Sheamus or something in the future, unless he faces Undertaker at a Wrestlemania.

but yeah, in some way or another, I think Sheamus will be breaking some kind of record, or something else that no one has ever done, as he is really the greatest thing to happen since Brock Lesnar and Bill Goldberg.

When it comes to Wade Barrett, let's not confuse his storyline with what's going on in real life. Despite outward appearances, Wade is being promoted as an individual; he just happens to be working a lengthy program with a group of wrestlers to make us think he's being pushed as part of a group. A year from now, we'll be looking at Wade as a singles wrestler and will barely remember the rest of Nexus.

Sheamus, on the other hand, is a total individual, walking alone through WWE as a loner with a nasty personality and a terrific work ethic. He has no allies, although heels and faces both have wanted him to join them. Sheamus has an awesome look to him, a great body for wrestling, and the ability to work a match smoothly.

The scene he worked with Vince McMahon, in which it looked as if he was going to refuse the title belt and then revealed it was a sham, was classic. I really believed we were seeing a face turn at that moment. That the guy is genuinely liked in the locker room is another point in his favor as far as long term development.

Wade Barrett is a glorified mid-carder who has the advantage of a great program to cement his position in the company. Sheamus is a true leader for the new generation, and an example of WWE scouting a wrestler, giving him a massive push......and being right about it from the beginning.

When it comes to Wade Barrett, let's not confuse his storyline with what's going on in real life. Despite outward appearances, Wade is being promoted as an individual; he just happens to be working a lengthy program with a group of wrestlers to make us think he's being pushed as part of a group. A year from now, we'll be looking at Wade as a singles wrestler and will barely remember the rest of Nexus.

Sheamus, on the other hand, is a total individual, walking alone through WWE as a loner with a nasty personality and a terrific work ethic. He has no allies, although heels and faces both have wanted him to join them. Sheamus has an awesome look to him, a great body for wrestling, and the ability to work a match smoothly.

The scene he worked with Vince McMahon, in which it looked as if he was going to refuse the title belt and then revealed it was a sham, was classic. I really believed we were seeing a face turn at that moment. That the guy is genuinely liked in the locker room is another point in his favor as far as long term development.

Wade Barrett is a glorified mid-carder who has the advantage of a great program to cement his position in the company. Sheamus is a true leader for the new generation, and an example of WWE scouting a wrestler, giving him a massive push......and being right about it from the beginning.

Okay dude how did you get to the conclusion that Wade is a career midcarder? We haven't exactly seen him in the midcard. He was blooded into the main event scene right from the day he debuted on the main show.

On the mic, at least, he has shown that he can match it up with the best in the business. That day when he insulted Cena on Raw at the end of the show finishing off with Cena's own "You can't see me" catchphrase was a damn good promo. In fact I don't think I recall any promo of his that can be called bad.

In the ring too he is quite okay. He had a good match with Cena at HIAC 2010. We haven't seen a whole lot of him in the ring but Sheamus hasn't had a great match either which you can use as an example to show that he is better in the ring than Wade. And Sheamus has been around for a year now. Still he has had no great matches.

I may be a Barrett mark, but Sheamus is undoubtedly the leader of the youth movement. He was the first young guy to get the insane push out of nowhere and take a main event spot by the horns and make it his own. He's been very very good since he was called up and he was rewarded in turn. I do think that his initial push could have been handled better, but his programme with HHH just solidified his place there.

Barrett has, in my opinion passed Sheamus' position on Raw (i.e. he's top heel not Sheamus) but that's because he has recieved a massive and well booked push with a stable behind him. Don't get me wrong, Barrett would have made it to the top sans Nexus but they made the rise so much better.

And Sally, Just so you know, Sheamus and Barrett were scouted at the same time (September 2007) while they (and Drew McIntyre) were more or less carrying the UK wrestling scene at the time. To say that Sheamus was an example of WWE scouting somebody, pushing to the moon and being right about him from the beginning and Barrett isn't is just plain wrong.

Okay dude how did you get to the conclusion that Wade is a career midcarder? We haven't exactly seen him in the midcard. He was blooded into the main event scene right from the day he debuted on the main show.

Because he pretty much was a midcarder (or at least booked as not being as good as Drew or Sheamus) right up until he was called up and won NXT. And he pretty much came out of nowhere before doing that. He spent most of 2009 on the injured list, before becoming the single most entertaining man in FCW on commentary and getting pushed as soon as he was given the green light to return to the ring.

On the mic, at least, he has shown that he can match it up with the best in the business. That day when he insulted Cena on Raw at the end of the show finishing off with Cena's own "You can't see me" catchphrase was a damn good promo. In fact I don't think I recall any promo of his that can be called bad.

Same applies to Sheamus on the promo front.

In the ring too he is quite okay. He had a good match with Cena at HIAC 2010. We haven't seen a whole lot of him in the ring but Sheamus hasn't had a great match either which you can use as an example to show that he is better in the ring than Wade. And Sheamus has been around for a year now. Still he has had no great matches.

Sheamus has been consistently better in the ring than Barrett. I love Barrett and I think he's good enough in the ring to be where he is right now, but Sheamus is better in the ring by a long way.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread first does not mean best. Most people say that Sheamus was the first young guy to be pushed and make his push count. Well thats not true. With all due respect Sheamus' first run as a champion failed. He was, however, eventually a success. Now I guess people can say that Wade is too fresh onto the scene to be proclaimed a leader, but as things stand now I would rather place my money on Barrett.

And its also totally wrong to call Barrett a glorified midcarder as he has already proved himself as a main eventer.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread first does not mean best. Most people say that Sheamus was the first young guy to be pushed and make his push count. Well thats not true. With all due respect Sheamus' first run as a champion failed. He was, however, eventually a success. Now I guess people can say that Wade is too fresh onto the scene to be proclaimed a leader, but as things stand now I would rather place my money on Barrett.

In order to be called a "leader" of something you tend to have to do something first i.e. lead the way. Sheamus was the first young guy to get a push to the ME and make it work. His initial reign was booked poorly, but that was no fault of his. Sheamus has been a huge success in his push. Barrett, in my opinion could have made that sort of push work (thanks to his mic skills) but it was Sheamus who was called for the push not him.

And its also totally wrong to call Barrett a glorified midcarder as he has already proved himself as a main eventer.

Kane is a jumped up midcarder. Being in the main event doesn't stop you being a glorified midcarder. Barrett needs more time to prove that he can stick in the Main Event after his initial push is stopped.

Now, I'm a complete mark for Sheamus since his time on ECW working with Goldust, so I might be a little biased, but I agree with the guy. McIntyre might have won the first championship, but he defeated John Cena in the main event for the world championship. McIntyre hasn't exactly tasted serious singles gold for quite some time, where as Sheamus is a 2-time champ who's put out HHH, faced Orton, Jericho, Edge, Cena and other brand names of the company.

One could make a claim for Barrett, but while Barrett has gotten his push being based around being new blood along with most of the Nexus, he hasn't held gold. He's been forced to tap out by Cena in a rather quick fashion, his faction has lost steam more than once due to injuries to members plus bad booking that has seen the faction lose its focus from dominating the WWE to basically harassing and teasing John Cena. :suspic:

Plus, while Barrett is the better promo-man, Sheamus is the more rounded complete package and has been more believable thus far as a threat to any champion.

The scene he worked with Vince McMahon, in which it looked as if he was going to refuse the title belt and then revealed it was a sham, was classic. I really believed we were seeing a face turn at that moment.

Btw, anyone got a video on that? I need to watch it again.

Okay dude how did you get to the conclusion that Wade is a career midcarder?

As to Wade, I think his future will be as a mid-carder. The whole "Nexus" program is massive.....and the entire thing revolves around him, even more as time goes on. I'm sure he realizes how fortunate he is to have had this done for him, just as I suspect a lot of guys who never got a push like that must wonder why Wade has been so lucky. But I feel we shouldn't confuse the program with the man. Once Nexus is finished, I think that Wade will be just another good wrestler plying his trade and making what he can of his career. Without the Nexus program, I don't know that Wade would have ever caught on as he has.

Conversely, Sheamus' push has been the result of hard work in the ring. At first, I considered it ridiculous that WWE had him facing Cena for the title so quickly; yet, Sheamus made a believer of me by how he handled himself in the ring. His subsequent efforts have impressed me even more.

His personality is appropriately nasty, he has one of the most unique physiques I've ever seen, and what he does inside the ropes has impressed me greatly, especially in view of the probability that he'll get even better.

The subject of this thread was who we think is going to be the leader of the new generation. Give me Sheamus above all the others.

By the way, I think "dudette" would be a more apt thing to call me.:)

Reactions: TLC
As to Wade, I think his future will be as a mid-carder. The whole "Nexus" program is massive.....and the entire thing revolves around him, even more as time goes on. I'm sure he realizes how fortunate he is to have had this done for him, just as I suspect a lot of guys who never got a push like that must wonder why Wade has been so lucky. But I feel we shouldn't confuse the program with the man. Once Nexus is finished, I think that Wade will be just another good wrestler plying his trade and making what he can of his career. Without the Nexus program, I don't know that Wade would have ever caught on as he has.

I disagree that Wade's future is as a midcarder. His work as heel has simply been too good for him to drop down to the midcard. You're right that the Nexus has got him to where he is, but he was given the monster push for a reason. And that reason is how damn good he was on NXT. He was flat out the best man on that show, including Danielson (who while miles better in the ring was worse than Barrett in just about every other department). Nexus or no Nexus, Barrett would have ended up in the main event. He wouldn't be there now, but it wouldn't have taken him long to get there.

Conversely, Sheamus' push has been the result of hard work in the ring. At first, I considered it ridiculous that WWE had him facing Cena for the title so quickly; yet, Sheamus made a believer of me by how he handled himself in the ring. His subsequent efforts have impressed me even more.

As was Barrett's. When given the ball he ran with it. He did that on FCW, when he was put on commentary and became the most entertaining man on the show. He did that on NXT when he obliterated everybody else on the mic and looked like he belonged with the WWE stars. Sheamus deserved his push and is in the right spot on the card (in the ME). Equally Barrett deserved his push and is in the right spot.

His personality is appropriately nasty, he has one of the most unique physiques I've ever seen, and what he does inside the ropes has impressed me greatly, especially in view of the probability that he'll get even better.

Most of what you said about Sheamus could also be said about Barrett, who has played the "bastard" to perfection and also has a unique look. He's also decent in the ring (though admittedly, not as good as Sheamus)

The subject of this thread was who we think is going to be the leader of the new generation. Give me Sheamus above all the others.

He is undoubtedly the leader of the youth movement. Not least because he got the first push.

I think that Mustang Sally might have a point, at least potentially, when it comes to Wade Barrett. I think Barrett has done a great job in his role as the leader of Nexus and the angle in and of itself has really been woven around him. The other Nexus members have benefitted as well no doubt, but Barrett has been the centerpiece. I do think that Barrett's future as a main eventer might hinge on how he follows up after Nexus comes to an end. How is he going to do on his own? How is he going to do when he's not playing the role of a domineering leader of a faction? I do think these are legit questions as it pertains to Barrett in terms of being a main event player. I'm a Barrett fan and it's natural for fans to want to see wrestlers that they particularly enjoy to be in the main event scene. Even if that doesn't happen for Barrett though, I still think he could have a great future even as a mid-carder.

As for Sheamus being "the leader" of a new generation of wrestlers to come in the WWE, I'd say that it's probably pretty accurate at this point in time. The WWE got behind Sheamus, they took a chance and gave him an opportunity to show that he can do it. Despite all the hate that this guy got in the early part of this year, Sheamus has endured it and I think has more than proven the haters wrong. Sheamus, at 32, is still a young man for all intents and purposes. He's not a 21 year old wrestling prodigy or anything, but then who the hell is? Sheamus is fresh, however, and was a desperately needed breath of fresh air to a Raw main event scene that'd become almost tear jerkingly stale in 2009. He stepped up and he hit one out of the park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back