• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shane O'Mac: Most Underrated of all Time??

shadyfozzie

Occasional Pre-Show
Looking at other posts (Like best matches of all time, underrated/overrated, etc), and it got me thinking:

Was Shane McMahon the most underrated wrestler of all time??

Now granted, he wasn't a full time wrestler, and was seen maybe 2-3 months out of the year, but when he was there, man could he do it.

I mean think about some of the rivalries he had: Kurt Angle, Vince, Randy Orton, Kane, Rock, DX, X-Pac just to name a few

And the matches:
Angle's No Holds Barred Match (the suplex through the glass)
Kane when he jumped off the titantron
Rock in a steel cage
Vince street fight
Just to name a few

And what about when he went on WCW?!?! HOLY MARK!!

Now I know, your thinking: These are just bumps he took. but watch the actual matches. I watched the Angle NHB match, and he can friggin wrestle. Submissions, reversals, actual wrestling moves (I think he has more moves than Cena!!)

So my questions to you:
Is Shane the most underrated of all time?
What is your favorite Shane O'Mac moment?
I love his entrance music, do you?

THE NUMBER 1 SHANE O'MAC MARK!!

He's not underrated at all. I don't see how you are saying that. They have acknowledged his big jump across the ring across the ring numerous times. This guy is a fucking McMahon and there is no why Vince is going to let a McMahon be underrated anyway. Everyone knows the bumps that he can do and yes they are Foley like lol. But you have to remember as well. Shane sold his stock and he wanted out of the company "at least for the time being. There where talks about how he is trying to get into ufc. But no way is he underrated he is exactly where he needs to be at.

But for fav. moment is the wrestlemania jump towards vince. How can you even think that he was underrated at all by that? Not too many people can do that.

Hes music is old news. Ya its cool but its old news.

But ya this guy can take crazier bumps then foley.

How is Shane under rated? because he never won a world title?
Old saying in wrestling the promoters son(s) never get the World belt, I guess Vince is the exception to the rule.

Shane was given the European belt, did a little with it but not a great deal, and Shane made Steve Blackman look absolute bad mofo with the SummerSlam 2000 Hardcore match. Shane did a lot of great things for a short career (wrestling wise) IMO Shane is far from under rated.

not under-rated at all. especially considering the time that he spent inside the ring as a wrestler. all combined, this guy maybe wrestled for 2 years. and he gets worlds of recognition for the matches, feuds and bumps that he had.

not under-rated. sometimes a bit forgotten, but that's again because of his short amount of time inside the ring. but when push comes to shove, nobody forgets the crazy things this guy did.

favorite moment: too many to name. quick list:
1. jump off the titantron and breaking thru the stage - against Kane.
2. fall from the scaffolding to the stage area below - against Blackman.
3. coast to coast dropkick into a trash can - against Vince.

Here is the thing about Shane, he comes in every few years and pops the cherry at the events he's at, because he a McMahon and nobody can tell him not to, even thought hey should.

Shane can burn up all his wrestling ability in one match because he knows he won't have to wrestle for another year. It's like a flare, its super bright for a few minutes. He doesn't have to worry about telling a different story the next night, and the next month and the next year, like other wrestlers.

95% of the wrestlers could do what Shane did, but wouldn't be allowed because wrestling is about building up to pinnicle. But Shane wanted to show that he can perform so he practices his match and spots for a few weeks and looks good. But other wrestlers dont have the option to prepare for one single match, they spend a lifetime learning a craft so they can wrestle on the run, calling their own matches night after night.

There is a reason why every match doesn't have wrestlers jumping 100-feet off scaffolding. Because it would soon becomes routine.

The E keeps very high-spots to a rarity, and it's a shame that Shane uses them, when other more deserving people should be granted the honor.

I can imagine the conversation.

Shane: Hey Pat, you know this is my first wrestling match all year, I've stolen RVD's VanTerminator and plan on using that, then how about i leap from 80-feet above the titan-tron.

Patterson: (in a french-canadian accent) You know Shane, maybe that's not the best idea for the company. Maybe you should let Malenko, or maybe Saturn, Benoit, Jericho, or Eddie, do something like that. They could use a moment like that to propel them.

Shane: Hmmm? No, I think i will do it. Bye.

Outsider, I agree with you about the flare, but I'm thinking more along the lines of talent. If you watch the matches besides the big bumps, he actually can wrestle (and he sells pretty well too). I know that he is not a full time wrestler, but given what I have seen he is probably the best 'non-wrestler' that I have seen..

Shane was never underrated. Shane was more of an on-screen character who occasionally wrestled. He's very much like Vince McMahon.

Shane was never really meant to be a kind of in-ring competitor I would like to believe. He just like Vince was pulled into ring action when it made sense, or when it could further a feud. But obviously Shane got into more matches due to being younger.

Shane to me will always be mostly known for being an on-screen character. And he was a good one at that, and he's praised equally to just that. He never needed to be champion of any kind. Because he wasn't a completely active wrestler.

Under-rated is the wrong phrase as pretty much everyone respects what Shane did in the ring... Under utilized is a better description as Shane COULD have been a headliner had he not had the McMahon name... He started out as Shane Stevens, a ref back in 1990, had he kept that name, procured a gimmick around it and done what he did in the ring he could have been big...

But the reason Shane was so good was because he was given the best possible training... As Vince's son he had access to the cream of the talent, facilities and backstage angles... That he took to it all so well speaks highly of the man...The truth though is that he was kinda living Vince's dream for him... Vince was barred from active competition by his father... so there was no doubt some pressure once Shane decided to go for it for people to make it work... One thing thats also overlooked is the guy was a hell of an athlete... a Van Terminator is not an easy thing to do, nor is a safe bump from any height, much less a Tron...

Shane could have been, but on the whole I doubt he'll be disappointed he wasn't... He has his place in the HOF guaranteed, likely a job whenever he chooses to return (or steph and Trips bungle things) and the respect of pretty much anyone who ever saw him wrestle...

I agree with Ferbian when he says that Shane was more of an authority figure like character rather than an actual wrestler. I think he actually gets overrated as a wrestler sometimes though he does have a few good matches. Most of his matches are spotfests in my opinion but you gotta give the guy credit for those insane spots.

One of Shane's best moments is getting his testicles fried by Kane or getting hit by the kendo stick by Steve Blackman and falling down 20 feet from the ramp. Actually his most enjoyable match to me is his match against his dad at Wrestlemania 17 but I think its more of a Linda Mcmahon moment rather than a Shane O' Mac moment. The pop she got when she got up from the wheelchair was tremendous.

And yes I like his entrance theme but who doesn't.

When I think of Shane, I don't think wrestler. I think of his character on screen, as Ferbs said, kind of like his father Vince. He did have some good spots in his matches, but his matches were few and far between. The majority of the time we saw Shance on our tv, it was more as of an authority figure than as a wrestler. So to call him underrated is, well, eh. He was never a wrestler so hard tpo use that word on him.

Agree with most people saying he isn't underrated but he is forgotten *which makes sense* but he did do quite a lot in ring and look like he tried his best to do what full time wrestlers could, so hats off to Shane O'Mac.

When I think of Shane O'Mac I think of the stupid dance he does down the ramp. I think how he took the freshly unmasked unstoppable Kane and dominated him while no full-time wrestler could. I remember Shane being able to take out Legacy and half the raw roster all on his own, destroying a lot of Legacy's heat and making the raw roster look stupid. I remember Shane coming out on Raw the night after Survivor Series 2001 and not even selling in the slightest the effects of 5 top guys finishing moves from the night before.

Shane could do a good bump. Had interesting matches but, honestly, over-rated more then under-rated, although I will give him props for the Mean Street Posse period, that was good mid-card stuff

Apparently everyone forgot about the last man standing match at Backlash he had against Big Show, were he first jumped off the titon tron. That and his King of the Ring match against Angle were his two finest moments

Like everyone else, I can't call him underrated. He just gets a lot of respect for doing crazy things and putting his body though hell when he really didn't have to.

He is the son of Vince McMahon; he never had to do anything if he didn't want to. If he wanted he could have done just a little story line things here or there and never had a match. Maybe just come to the ring, cut a promo, and the get stunned by Austin, by the way Steve has stated the Shane was his most favorite person to stun. But Shane didn't take the easy road, he decided to get in the ring and mix it up with some of the biggest names in the biss. He deserves a lot of respect, and I feel he gets it, so he is not underrated.

The guy gets props when he is mentioned for various things, infact he is almost like a complete wrestler, aside from not being the greatest in the ring. Let's face it we all know his cheesey little dance, He has a pretty good signature if I may say so, and he has one of those :wtf: moments that we all remember so I won't piss in the wind by repeating it. Shane O'Mac on the other hand was a wrestler only a limited times. but he is remembered for being the man he took the highest dive ever. Sorry Shane your good but you're a bit over-rated.

When I think of Shane O'Mac I think of the stupid dance he does down the ramp.

Actually when I hear that music I automatically think of when DX had its recent run and HBK came out dressed as Shane doing Shane's dance...I swear to God...I never laughed so hard!!

HBK lampooned him beautifully!!

I could just imagine everyone back stage that was near him trying to keep a straight face!

This is interesting. I would'nt say Shane is underrated. But he damn sure was entertaining...He took bumps that he did'nt have to. I always gave him credit for that. I thought he was an annoying wannabe who hung out with the boys in the back and thought because his daddy ran the company, that he can do what he wants. But it's obvious he had a passion for competiveness. Shane grew on me after the Steve Blackman match when he fell off the titantron. Mad props to Shane-o-mac

I love Shane McMahon. That man can put on an absolutely phenomonal match!

Is he underatted? I'm not sure. I would not say that he is underatted, but he may not deserve the respect he deserves. I personally believe that Shane could have had more matches and a longer career. He had a match with freakin Cody Rhodes that was epic! Not to mention, it was on WWE Superstars! My point is Shane McMahon is responseable for one of my favorite matches on WWE Superstars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back