• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sequels That Were Better Than The Originals

JohnJohnson

aka JuanJuanson
This is more in reference to movies, but I guess it can apply to game as well. It seems to have become somewhat of a cliche to say that "the original was better" when discussing any sequel, as if saying that makes you feel proud of yourself. I guess it's the sense of pride that always goes with remarks like that is what led me to think about sequels that were actually better than the originals.

One, which had been a discussion recently at work, is Anchorman 2. It was a funnier and all around better written movie than the first one. There was more of a direction with the story and more laugh out loud funny moments. People tend to say the first one was better, and I'd bet some of that stems from nostalgia. It was funny when it came out, because it is different than a lot of other movies from that time. It brought a unique sense of humor. But then the sequel comes out using the same style and it isn't as unique. But if you were to go back in time and release the Anchorman 2 as the first one and the release Anchorman years later as a prequel, I believe that Anchorman 2 is clearly far greater.

Some other movies off the top of my head include Pirates of the Carribbean 2 and 3 an Matrix Reloaded.

As far as games go, one that I hear quite often is Pokemon. I played every generation of Pokemon and people are always saying that the originals were the best. Usually these are people who only played Gen 1 or sometimes the first two generations. If you look at each game without bias, I think Gen 4 and Gen 6 are definitely the best in the franchise. Generation 1 was phenominal for its time, but Game Freak has definitely included many upgrades and improvements in their later version.

Any particulars that come to your minds?

Last Blade 2 > Last Blade

Final Fantasy VI > Final Fantasy

Mega Man 2 & 3 > Mega Man

Terminator 2 > Terminator

I think the OP is pissed.

Waynes World 2
Home Alone 2
Toy Story 2
Empire Strikes Back
Sister Act 2: Back in the habit
Blade II
Hellboy II
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Oh yea, Dark Knight was far far better than Batman Begins, although they really dropped the ball on Dark Knight Rises. Home Alone is one that I thought about, but it just didn't make as much sense. He wasn't home alone and how the hell did he run into the same crooks? There is a Home Alone 5 now, I wonder if that would be worth watching.

I think Halo is another that stands out. The original was ground breaking and really defined a new generation of gaming, but they did make improvements as they continued. I think had Halo 2 been realeased before Halo, graphics aside, people would think Halo 2 is better.

Land Before Time 2 > Land Before Time

Matrix Reloaded was better than The Matrix?

Spiderman 2
X2
Most people say Lethal Weapon 2 but I disagree
Empire
The two after Phantom Menace
No Man's Land 2 - 169 were all better than the original
Two Towers
I didn't like Men In Black but I liked the sequels
Aliens
Khan!!!!!!!
A slue of Bond movies
The second Hunger Games movie
JohnJohnson's sister was way better than JohnJohnson's mom.

Some Nintendo picks:

NES

Super Mario 3
Mega Man 2
Castlevania 3

SNES

Final Fantasy 4 & 6
A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Super Castlevania

N64

Ocarina of Time
Starfox 64
Mario 64

WTF how is Matrix reloaded better than the original. And the Pirates 3 better than the first one?

Two towers and Return of the king > Fellowship
X men 2 > first one. Third one was shit.
The 2nd and 3rd Bourne films. So good that even James Bond became Bourne lite.

Aliens
Evil Dead 2
The Empire Strikes Back
[REC] 2
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
X2: X-Men United
Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Saw III
Final Destination 5
Fast Five
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
The Expendables 2

If we're counting video games in here then

Red Dead Redemption was the most obvious one for me. Red Dead Revolver was awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back