Semi Final - (1) Ocarina of Time v (20)Grand Theft Auto III

?

• The Legend of Zelda; Ocarina of Time

• Grand Theft Auto III

Results are only viewable after voting.
My vote goes to Grand Theft Auto 3. That's right Lee, I said it. You know how much I love OoT. It doesn't matter. GTA 3 is getting my support for the rest of this tournament, no game has ever brought it's way into the pop culture so thoroughly, not even Mario can match the mainstream consciousness of GTA 3 and the entire franchise. They're always the most highly anticipated games to come out.

OoT, it's wonderful, it's amazing, it's a fucking masterpiece. I just prefer GTA 3. What do you want from me? I'm a sick, sick human being and I derive pleasure out of slaying countless pixel-people without any silly missions or constraints to hold me back.

A vote for GTA 3 is a vote for FREEDOM people. Vote with the rest of us sic fucks, vote for GTA 3. Your local pimp and drug dealer will thank your vile soul.

Even though I'm not a fan of Ocarina of Time, I have been voting for it throughout this tourney simply because I respect the living out of it. However, that stops now because it's up against one of my favorite games of all time, and a game I consider to be flat out one of the greatest, most revolutionary games in history.

Honest to God, I remember the first time I played Grand Theft Auto 3. I was absolutely blown away by it. I could not believe what I was playing. Not before that, and certainly not since then, have I had that kind of feeling playing a video game for the first time.

The Ocarina of Time was the type of game where I enjoyed watching my little cousin playing it, and helping him out, rather than playing it myself. If I were in my room alone, and popped that in the N64, I would be bored to tears. It's just not something for me. Though, as I've said about about three times already throughout this tournament, I still fully appreciate how good the game is. However, I don't think it's an all around better game than Grand Theft Auto 3. GTA 3 is simply one of the most exciting, mind blowing games in history, and Ocarina just doesn't come close to being that, in my opinion.

I'm backing GTA3 on this one. Whilst I went with MGS in the last round against it, I will still support GTA3 for what it's done for the industry.

But as I have said before, why not Zelda? I cannot get into it. Much like Final Fantasy, I cannot get into this franchise as well. I've played Zelda 2, OoT and Twilight Princess and I cannot get into them. It's just like I can't blend with them games, that or something is mentally wrong with me!

If you go by the trailer alone, GTA3 was a sick game and a revolutionary one at the same time. Sandbox style of play was introduced and a whole new generation of gaming was brought out. I remember playing the likes of GTA1, London & 2 and then when I first see sight of GTA3, I'm like "SHIIIIT, this is awesome!" This was the must have game on the PS2, whether you were above or below 18, anyone had this game because they wanted it so bad and this was one of the games that put the PS2 on the map a year into it's debut.

Much like X said, after this game came out, everyone wanted to get the next one, the moment someone says "Guess what's coming out? Grand Thef..." you'd MTFO before they finished the sentence. The series kept getting better and better, whilst one is not the best, it was the groundbreaking one that lead to the likes of Vice City, San Andreas & 4. Zelda I have respect for, despite not getting into it, but GTA is always going to get a more generalised response while Zelda seems only applicable to those into that genre that have an N64/Wii, etc. GTA is widespread and has more of a public appeal in my full honest opinion.

Vote GTA3

This is insane... I can't even imagine Ocarina of Time going out to a Grand Theft Auto game. Ya, GTA is good, but OoT is, no doubt, the greatest game I've ever played. I wish I had played GTA III in the past so I could compare it better to Ocarina, but I haven't. So I'll just go ahead and say why I love Ocarina of Time so much.

When I first started playing OoT I was probably 6. It was the first time I had ever really played a video game and was the first I ever owned. When I first started that game I was AMAZED by the free roam capabilities and exploration that could occur... well, the truth is my 6 year old mind never seemed to realize the Kokori Forest from the start of the game was nothing more than the introduction to an amazing journey. Me and my cousin would play this game non-stop every day just trying to beat it and figure out what lay outside the mysterious door outside of the forest. We literally spent DAYS avoiding the boulder and trying to get the Kokori Sword, saving up Rupees for the Kokori Shield and exploring the Lost Woods. We literally thought that the end of the game came when you smashed open the rolling boulder and a giant monster would emerge. And yet, without any of the game really open to us, we had the time of our life.

Now, a little while later (a year) we had finally made it to the end of Lord Jabu-Jabu's belly and were on our way to the Temple of Time to finally find out what happened next! We thought, as we saw Ganondorf and Zelda running out into the distance, that we were at the end of the game. Of course, the adventure had just begun. We finally made it to the Master Sword, and as we pulled it from the stone and were transported to the Sage area, I have to wonder what went through our minds as we realized it was just the introduction to the greatest game of all time, and it had NOTHING on what we were to experience next.

Ocarina of Time had so many different styles. You could be enjoying the bustle of the Market. You could be comically avoiding guards at Zelda's Castle. You could be racing a ghost through a tomb filled with zombies. You could be leisurely fishing at Lake Hylia. It was a game of so many possibilities and tones, and it made every moment unique and entertaining. I had more fun exploring and trying to figure out what to do next, and from 6 to 14 I never once forgot about Ocarina of Time. This game will always live on as a true classic, but unlike some games it's the type that you love to play and will beat all the way through every time. After years of practice I can now beat this game in 5 days with my cousin, so even though we've gone a long way from finding ways to crack a huge boulder, the awe and wonder we felt towards Ocarina of Time has never died.

That's all well and good Jane, but can you throw a molotov cocktail at someone in Zelda? No? Then it fails.

Forget all this hoighty-toighty "games are art" bullshit. Games should be fun. And nothing is more fun than Grand Theft Auto 3. Trolley rides maybe. None of that in Zelda either. Shame.

Vote GTA 3. Because games should be fun. And nothing says fun like murder and arson.

X, that is bull. OoT may not be as violent as GTA, but it is more fun. That's why it's so great. It can stand as art in the video game industry, but it is also very fun to play. Add in that it's far more emotionally involving and breathtaking than GTA ever was.

X, that is bull. OoT may not be as violent as GTA, but it is more fun.

Maybe for nancy boys who like fairies and pumpernickel yum-yums it is. For us men GTA 3 ranks slightly below beer, red meat, and pussy.

Add in that it's far more emotionally involving and breathtaking than GTA ever was.

How exactly does a video game take away one's breath? Is there WiFi capability for that?

Maybe for nancy boys who like fairies and pumpernickel yum-yums it is. For us men GTA 3 ranks slightly below beer, red meat, and pussy.
Is that really your argument? Poor form. Just be cause it's loud and violent, doesn't mean it's fun. Oh and the wandering around and killing random people that people think is fun in that game has to be one of the most boring experiences I've had in gaming. Could anything be more pointless/futile?
How exactly does a video game take away one's breath? Is there WiFi capability for that?
Have you even played this gave through? For real? Especially at the time it came out, but it still more than holds it's own in this era of advanced technology.

Is that really your argument? Poor form.

Not a connoisseur of sarcasm are we?

Just be cause it's loud and violent, doesn't mean it's fun.

Have you ever murdered someone with a baseball bat? It's rather fun.

GTA 3 isn't fun now? Really? Is that actually your argument? I think just about every gamer on the face of the planet might disagree with you there.

Oh and the wandering around and killing random people that people think is fun in that game has to be one of the most boring experiences I've had in gaming. Could anything be more pointless/futile?

You've just described the same formula for thousands of games, Zelda included. Go here, get item/fight boss, go there, repeat. Except planting car bombs is about a thousand times more fun then shooting fairy arrows and saving princesses.

Have you even played this gave through? For real? Especially at the time it came out, but it still more than holds it's own in this era of advanced technology.

Lee knows of my love for Zelda. I'm just being a prick. Couldn't you tell? I've played OoT many, many times. Love it. GTA 3 is getting my support though.

Vote GTA 3. Or you're a racist.

Not a connoisseur of sarcasm are we?
You're still supporting GTA, right? If so I will continue this argument.
Have you ever murdered someone with a baseball bat? It's rather fun.
In GTA? Not really. Melee in GTA is probably one of it's weaker areas.
GTA 3 isn't fun now? Really? Is that actually your argument? I think just about every gamer on the face of the planet might disagree with you there.
For the most part GTA is not particularly fun. Some missions are, but it's severely over-rated.
You've just described the same formula for thousands of games, Zelda included. Go here, get item/fight boss, go there, repeat. Except planting car bombs is about a thousand times more fun then shooting fairy arrows and saving princesses.
I'm talking about outside the context of missions, bud. The fact that every time I see someone else play, it devolves into pointless 'let's see how high my wanted goes' sessions. Makes me want to kill myself.
Lee knows of my love for Zelda. I'm just being a prick. Couldn't you tell? I've played OoT many, many times. Love it. GTA 3 is getting my support though.
So we can agree that GTA isn't in the same league as OoT...right?
Vote GTA 3. Or you're a racist.
I'd rather be a racist than a nihilist.

This is bullshit.

Ocarina Of Time, one of the greatest games of all time and highest rated game of all time might be getting nipped by a GTA game. Fuck. So you can argue it out a bit here GTAIII brought us the first open world sandbox world and it has continued to be a hit spawning many clones and other games who have used it. It was fun but really the appeal of this game and most other sandbox games runs out eventually and usually pretty quickly within beating the game and exploring the mini-games (Which GTAIII's are pretty bland). Let's not talk story here, because it was as smart as a Paris Hilton film. Uninspiring and boring. I forgot to mention rememing Z-targeting in Zelda? Awesome little feature, obviously Rockstar didn't pick up on that whole thing even though it was the main part of the time, the targeting was atrocious and wouldn't be completely fixed until 2004 with San Andreas. OoT came out in 1998.

Zelda might not of been the first open 3D world, but it sure helped pave the way for many many more to come, GTA probably could give a little thanks for this game. The adventure OoT took you on and the rich world oh Hyrule embraced you in a 3D adventure game like no other, you didn't want to stop and you swore you would beat this game and rid of Ganondorf. For the first time in the series the story and presentation was in full excellence and topped any other game with it's dark mood.

I can't think of too many games that was so engaging bringing you into a world and also it's entire universe of events (Halo is gone...fuckers).

Let the Triforce reign.

Hit play...and so we begin. Anyone who has played the game will now have memories flying back to them of standing in the shop at Kakariko village and buying your bombs or arrows ready to finish that journey.

The jump

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time was a massive game for its time, it did what many people thought was not possible...it took one of the franchises that Nintendo had in the mid card of gaming franchises and rocketed it to Main Event Status, something the franchise holds to this day.

The Legacy

Game Rankings 97.6%
Metacritic 99/100
Edge 10/10
IGN 10/10
Famitsu 40/40
It has wildly topped greatest games of all time lists, and rightly so, it's something subsequent LOZ games can only aim to hit the levels of.

Story

Apparently GTAIII has a plot...everyone knows that the plot is pointless in GTA games, the aim is to run people over and steal cars.

Well give me a storyline that covers seven years any day, one that is so in depth it is still praised to this day. It was the point when Nintendo stood up and went, there's more to our games than saving the princess.

Add to that the elements of the side treks, collecting the Gold skullatas, the random item trails among others.

Conclusions

GTAIII has its moments of fun, but to me it gets dull quite easily. OoT is one of those last games that had you going..."one more level" and next thing you know it's 6am and you've done nothing but look for poes in Hyrule field!

Then you look at it logically....

GTAIV > GTAIII

Yet OoT decimated GTAIV.

ZELDA_OCARINA_OF_TIME.jpg

Vote Zelda

How the hell is OoT losing?!

Ocarina of Time was beautiful, influential, and above all a shit ton of fun!

GTA3 is also fun, but not as fun as Zelda. It is inferior in every way, except for the violence. And it's only "violent" because there is blood. There are bombs, explosions, projectiles, and swords in Zelda, but since GTA has blood it must logically be superior!
BULLSHIT.
If you're going to use violence as a reason for voting GTA, think of this: GTA used violence indiscriminately. Zelda has a ton of violence, but knew just when to pull out the real stuff for effect. Dried blood in the Shadow Temple contributed so much to the atmosphere. Ganondorf hacking up blood. Stabbing Ganon in the throat. Violence is there. It was just used better.
Zelda had great controls, insane puzzles, replayability, an awesome story, and it never stopped being fun. Even the Water Temple was frustrating in the fun way.

Vote for Ocarina of Time.

Seeing as it's currently tied, I figured I should post.

I voted for GTA3, due to the simple fact that Zelda games are not entertaining in the slightest, to me. I could list off hundreds of games that I would rather fire up before Zelda would even cross my mind. I'm not a huge fan of GTA3, and I'd prefer to play any of the games that came after it. That's it, I suppose. I like to run over people with cars, shoot down cops, and throw cocktails in the mall, not save a princess with an elf looking thing.

I went GTA just for the same reason 48.7 did. I never liked Zelda games never will. I have this game and I loved it. It was fun, i liked the story and the gameplay so I have broken the tie and gave GTA the lead

Although I did enjoy playing GTA III, I'm more of a fan of OoT. I've always sided with Zelda games because they are just that damn good. Believe me, I'm not exactly a huge fan of fairies, monsters and magic. However, the Zelda franchise seems to be completely different to those type of games despite it being relatively similar. I can't explain it but I shouldn't have to, since anyone who has played OoT at least once would already know this. Some may find it "nerdy" and it might not be their cup of tea, but running around Liberty City holding a chainsaw above my head killing anyone that moved isn't exactly my cup of tea either. On the other hand, GTA offers gamers the chance to do whatever the hell they want. There is a plot in the game, but if you fancy driving around Liberty City listening to 70's rock music then by all means knock yourself out. The freedom in this game has to be it's best feature, how you could stick to the story one minute then do whatever you want the next. I believe it's what makes the GTA franchise so special.

As for Zelda, well anyone who is a fan of adventure games would easily put Zelda up high on their list of favorites. Not only is the story brilliant but the original background music is like no other. I personally prefer rock music, but you could find me humming the Hyrule theme song anywhere at anytime. I could go on and on for hours listing what makes OoT the greatest game of all time, from the gameplay to it's legacy. But the main reason why I'm voting for Zelda once again is because whenever I think of Zelda, OoT is the first thing that pops into my head. Not the characters nor the graphics but rather the game itself. When I think of GTA, this particular game doesn't seem to be able to leave it's mark with me. Don't get me wrong, this GTA was awesome, but without the more recent games I can't find a reason why this game should be able to beat OoT.

I voted OoT for the exact reason 48 voted for GTA III.

I've played GTA III and OoT and I like OoT more. All GTA games are boring as hell and I could never get into them the way I could get into any Zelda game.

Vote OoT.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time wins in a very hard fought battle by both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back