Second Round: Dallas - Barry Windham vs. Ricky Steamboat

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Barry Windham

• Ricky Steamboat

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round matchup in the Dallas Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated. Assume one week has passed since the first match ended.

reunion_arena.jpg

Barry Windham

Barry_Windham.jpg

Vs.

Ricky Steamboat

ricky-steamboat.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

Another one I think would be pretty clear, while Barry Windham has put on some decent matches, has achieved things in his career and has been a part of the four horsemen, which is probably gonna draw him a fair share of votes, it is nothing compared to Steamboat's achievements.

Barry Windham didn't wrestle 60 hour draws with Ric Flair, Barry Windham didn't win the amount of titles Ricky did (at least from the looks of it, I believe I counted Ricky to have won a few more titles, I could be wrong.. they've both won a lot) and hasn't had the impact on the business that Ricky had.

I don't believe Windham would be able to return this time in his life, and put on matches with the abilities that he had back when he was an active wrestler, Steamboat did that pretty damn well against Chris Jericho, and I think this just shows what an incredible wrestler Steamboat is.

Putting Barry Windham over Ricky in this one, would be a shame, a real shame, and that's why I'm not gonna do that.

This would be a great match to see, a great old school match by two of the best of the 80s. When you look at the accomplishments of both me, it's hard not to be impressed. Both of them won a ton of championships over the course of their careers and were stars. Windham was probably at his overall strongest in Florida, Steamboat was a major name in the Mid-Atlantic region and both were also stars in WCW.

This would be a pretty competitive match up but I give the edge to Steamboat. Steambot was an overall better athlete and just overall better in the ring than Windham. What ultimately hooks me for Steamboat however is he did something that, try as he might, Barry Windham was never able to do. Ricky Steamboat beat Ric Flair for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. The series of matches Steamboat and Flair had in 1989 were among the best of the decade, maybe among the best of all time. Windham and Flair had some damn fine matches too, but Windham always came up short for one reason or another.

Against Steamboat, I think Windham is going to come up short again.

Windham would put up a damn good fight with Steamboat guys. I voted for the Dragon because I'm almost positive they've wrestled before and Windham's never beat him. It went something like Windham wearing out Steamboat for 15 minutes, Steamboat comes back, nails chops to the chest, goes off the top rope. Nails chop to top of the head, then a high cross body pins Windham. Sounds about right.

Widowmaker meets HIS maker here. Vote Steamboatizzle.

I'm planning to give most of these matches a while for the arguments on both sides to build up before I vote, but I think I am safe here.

With both wrestling in the same era against similar opposition, a match like this is easier to call than some of the different era or location matches we have seen. Here, I can't see past a Steamboat win - he was on top for longer, has taken down a number of top opposition including matching Flair at the peak of his career, and dominated a higher place on the roster than WIndham ever occupied for more than a few months.

Steamboat all the way.

Here is another heartbreaker for me.

I grew up idolizing Barry Windham. He was the mix of power and technique that I loved. I never once got bored watching one of his matches.

But... He's up against Ricky Steamboat. One of the best of all time. Not only did I never get bored with him I can only think of one match that didn't absolutely wow me. That was the pathetic match which was his loss of the IC title to HTM.

Sorry BW. It's gotta be the Dragon.

Whoa. Steamboat is absolutely dominating this tourney so far. I honestly think this should be pretty close, as Windham was probably on a level right around Steamboat's. I still had to go with Steamboat though as his Savage match alone would put him over a lot of people. I know Windham did a lot of stuff for pro wrestling like wrestling Ric Flair and stuff, but he's quite an uninspiring legend. Think about it, how often is Windham talked about on here? Not much at all. That has to tell you something. Ricky the Tugboat all way.

Steamboat in a walk. That's not to downplay Windham though. Both men were great and did a lot of amazing things in the ring. Steamboat was just simply better. Steamboat has defeated Barry in just about every match they have had anyway. The Dragon is one of the most well arounded performers in history. That can be said about Windham as well, but Ricky just had more to work with skills wise.

Windham goes for a superplex but gets tossed off the ropes. Steamboat hits a flying cross body and pin for the victory.

Barry Windham was very good.

Ricky Steamboat was amazing.

These guys have wrestled before to the best of my knowledge and of course the matches were excellent.

But whereas Barry Windham is remembered in wrestling history as a very good worker who was highly underrated, Ricky Steamboat is remembered as one of the best ever.

Barry was good, but he was no Ricky Steamboat.

The Dragon pulls this one out for me.

I think Steamboat should win this, but I'm suprised by the number of votes in his favour. Ultimately, both of them were pretty big deals in the late 80s, but for me the fact that Steamboat got his chance in a deep roster, and Windham had to wait till the numbers of stars depleted, that probably says enough really. Steamboat won on the big occasions, and I think Steamboat goes over here.

Ferbian said- Barry Windham didn't wrestle 60 hour draws with Ric Flair

Yes, he did. So much so that in 1987 Inside Wrestling magazine ran an article asking the NWA to give Flair and Windham 90 minutes time limts.

Ferbian said- I don't believe Windham would be able to return this time in his life, and put on matches with the abilities that he had back when he was an active wrestler, Steamboat did that pretty damn well against Chris Jericho, and I think this just shows what an incredible wrestler Steamboat is.

Which just means that Steamboat has kept himself in better shape. Since this is a prime vs prime thing this point is pointless.

Windham would put up a damn good fight with Steamboat guys. I voted for the Dragon because I'm almost positive they've wrestled before and Windham's never beat him. It went something like Windham wearing out Steamboat for 15 minutes, Steamboat comes back, nails chops to the chest, goes off the top rope. Nails chop to top of the head, then a high cross body pins Windham. Sounds about right.

[YOUTUBE]MBWek5rgdHs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hzooVBT9rqM&[/YOUTUBE]

You forgot the part where Windham rolls threw and gets the pin.

Via Armbar said- Steamboat has defeated Barry in just about every match they have had anyway.

Other way around. Take away the tag matches and Windham won his fued with Steamboat in early 93.

Clear winner in Steamboat here.

Ricky and Ric Flair had countless matches in the past where both men were basdically dead-even in skill. Ric Flair was always on the winning end with Barry Windham. If you put two and two together, you get Steamboat for the win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back