First Round: Dallas - Barry Windham vs. The Miz

Discussion in 'The Tokyo Region' started by klunderbunker, Apr 20, 2010.

?

Who Wins This Matchup?

1. Barry Windham

2. The Miz

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a first round matchup in the Dallas Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated.

[​IMG]

Barry Windham

[​IMG]

Vs.

The Miz

[​IMG]

Voting is open for 4 days.

2. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

The Miz may be awesome right now, but he's got a LONG way to go before he can defeat someone like Barry Windham in his prime.

I don't need to explain things about the Miz. You all know him and love him (or hate him).

Windham, on the other hand, was a Four Horsemen. Oh, and he won a few championships, too:

Championship Wrestling from Florida
    o NWA Florida Global Tag Team Championship (1 time)
    o NWA Florida Heavyweight Championship (6 times)
    o NWA Florida Tag Team Championship (2 times)
    o NWA Florida Television Championship (3 times)
    o NWA North American Tag Team Championship (Florida version)
    o NWA Southern Heavyweight Championship (Florida version) (2 times)
    o NWA United States Tag Team Championship (Florida version) (3 times)
    * Jim Crockett Promotions | World Championship Wrestling
    o NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
    o NWA United States Tag Team Championship (1 time)
    o NWA Western States Heritage Championship (1 time)
    o NWA World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
    o NWA World Tag Team Championship (Mid-Atlantic version) (1 time)
    o WCW World Tag Team Championship (3 times)
    o WCW World Television Championship (1 time)
    * Music City Wrestling
    o NWA North American Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
    * NWA All-Star Wrestling (North Carolina)
    o NWA World Tag Team Championship (1 time)
    * NWA New England
    o NWA New England Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
    * NWA Southern Championship Wrestling
    o NWA Southern Heavyweight Championship (Tennessee version) (2 times)
    * Pro Wrestling Illustrated
    o PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (1982)
    * Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling
    o BTCW Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
    * World Wrestling Council
    o WWC World Tag Team Championship (1 time)
    * World Wrestling Federation[4]
    o WWF Tag Team Championship (2 times)
    * Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
    o Rookie of the Year (1980)
    o Match of the Year (1986) vs. Ric Flair on February 14
    o 5 Star Match (1987) vs. Ric Flair at the Crockett Cup Tournament on April 11
    o 5 Star Match (1991) with Ric Flair, Larry Zbyszko, & Sid Vicious vs. Brian Pillman, Sting, Rick Steiner, & Scott Steiner (February 24, WarGames match, WrestleWar)
    o 5 Star Match (1992) with Nikita Koloff, Ricky Steamboat, Sting & Dustin Rhodes vs. Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton, & Larry Zbyszko (May 17, WarGames Match, WrestleWar)

Um... yeah. Say goodnight, Miz.

3. Ferbian

Ferbian Has Returned.

I think Barry has to go over on this one, while I absolutely love what Miz has going for himself right now, I think something that's gonna play into this match up is the fact that Miz hasn't even been in his prime yet, and I think that's gonna be playing a factor in my choice.
    I think Miz will go on to become great certainly, but he's not at his top just yet, mabye next year he'll go over Barry, but now now.. (Sorry Scotty)

Edit: And as D-man said, certainly the titles and the fact that he's a Four Horsemen member is gonna play a huge factor too, titles and associations always does..

4. Scotty

Scotty I have a PHD in Horribleness

I am gonna be completely honest. That is a very impressive list of accomplishments. I find myself torn between logic and being a fan boy. While I do believe that Windham will go over (which I would be OK with), I still find myself with the only knowledge of Windham being as The Stalker and in the West Texas Rednecks. From the list of accolades I can see I missed a lot, but my vote will go towards The Miz.

5. Baller

Baller WZCW Veteran

I took the Miz on this one. Now Windham's accomplishments are undoubtedly superior to the Miz but similar to Scotty, my love for the Miz right now has swayed me to give Miz my vote.

6. GenMe

GenMe GenMe

The Miz is awesome and young, he will have a good long wrestling career, But right now I'll have to go for Barry Windham. Barry accomplished a lot of championships in his wrestling career, he was also good in side the ring. I will vote for Barry.

7. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

Nothing short of sickening. The Miz - a mid-card upstart - versus the man Ric Flair himself once called the most natural professional wrestler he'd worked with?

Windham was a Horseman and a World Champion. Miz hasn't spent more than 4 months outside of a tag team.

Windham may have the best pro wrestling "look" in the history of the business. Miz looks like a 16 year old kid who just got his first dumbell set.

Windham is a classically trained pro wrestling icon. Miz is a decent mid-card heel.

This isn't even close. If you vote Miz over Windham here, you'd better give me a DAMN good reason, because Admin red rep is a bitch.

Shocky likes this.
  8. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

The man that Ric Flair thought was oh so great, 15 years later. He thought so much of Barry Windham that he decided to take the World Championship with him to the WWF as opposed to lay on his back and put Windham over?

Paul Roma was a horsemen. Sorry, but the Horsemen thing will only take you so far. Windham was a World Champion because there was no one else to put the title on. Does anyone remember anything at all from Windhams title reign?

And John Cena has to deal with Jort jokes, yet he's 1000 times better then Barry Windham. Billy Gunn was "the best pure athlete" in the WWF, or at least JR kept trying to convince me of that. Look mean shit.
    Windham got a nod because his daddy was a Blackjack, nothing more, nothing less. When you're born with a foot in the door, you have an advantage over others.

Miz went from a nobody celbretard, and has turned himself into a legit damn good wrestler. Has he one the big one yet, no, but he's on par with the subpar career that is Barry Windham.

9. DirtyJosé

DirtyJosé Best angle of all: retirement

Kayfabe: Speaking on what I have seen of his career, Barry Windham was a guy that would have been much bigger had he been born years earlier. His career in late 90's WCW was a shame, but is the image burned into most viewers heads. The Miz is hot right now, and shows no signs of slowing. He is one of the few of the latest WWE success stories, and very obviously works hard for the spot he's reached.

Performance: Barry holds the edge here. The Miz may possibly prove to be a great in the ring, he simply hasn't had the experience to make that claim just yet. He does have the heart and the fortitude for it, though.

Personal: This match is another where if I were forced to judge solely on in ring ability, the win would go easily to Windham. However, with the freedom to vote for a variety of factors, I can't deny the feeling that The Miz will reach much higher levels than Windham did.

My vote is for The Miz.

10. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

Shocky, the only reason you consider Windham's career "subpar" is because he didn't reach his full potential. The only reason you think Miz's career is superior to Windham's is because he has already surpassed expectations.

The difference?

Windham's bar was set FAR HIGHER than Miz's. The expectations of Miz were never great, so he lucked out. He's been able to exceed low expectations. Windham was not able to reach what were VERY LOFTY expectations.

And Windham's Horseman run was significantly stronger than Roma's, please don't abase yourself by comparing the two.

11. Theo Mays

Theo Mays Part Time Poster

Miz is the apple of wrestling's eye right now and everyone's favorite uprising superstar. However he is no Barry Windham. Windham is pretty underrated in my mind and the guy could compete with anyone and compete on any spot of the card. He didn't live up to his potential as being a potential world champion contender consistently, but he was damn good. Miz is on a high right now, but Windham is still better than Miz and Miz has awhile to go in my mind before he tops Windham.

12. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

People try to bring a guy up with the "he was a Horseman" argument? I say so what. Aside from Arn, Tully and Flair, that argument really has no weight. Benoit might be the next guy to do it, but he shed the Horseman mystique and carved a career on his own. Guys like Malenko, Windham, Roma, Ole or Hennig were all Horsemen, but it doesn't make them an elite wrestler because of that. The Legend of the Horsemen has been blown way out of proportion over the years, thank you WWE DVD's and Triple H's hard on for all things Naitch.

Barry Windham had a free ride in this business, and coasted because of who his father was, and the fact that he was a fairly intimidating guy in the locker room. He's a big guy, no doubt, and somewhat talented, but he only became successful because Flair took the NWA title with him to the WWF. As soon as Flair was wanting to go back to WCW, guess what happened, Windham dropped the title right back to him.

Did Barry Windham underachieve, of course he did, but how is that a positive at all? He had a legacy made for him by his father, and an open door to the business, plus X amount of promoters over the years that have come out and said in hindsight "Oh Barry Windham was good." Well if he was that good, why did he only have on meaningless title reign that no one cares about?

The Miz is an overachiever, yup. He's done more with less, but I give the guy tons of credit. The Miz was a shit reality show star that turned that into probably the hottest gimmick going today. He's been the most improved wrestler over the last two years bar none. No, he doesn't have the big impressive title win yet, but he's done more with the US and Tag titles then Windham did with anything in his career.

13. Mr. TM

Mr. TM Throwing a tantrum

Out of the 4 major shows on TV right now, 7 hours of wrestling a week, not including pay per views, the most entertaining on three of those shows is The Miz. A guy that many thought was a joke who would just be in the long string people the fans thought were undeserving and talentless. The only difference is that The Miz worked his ass off, worked on his promo, kept in great shape, and has become the most entertaining man in the WWE for my buck. And he is against a guy who played third fiddle in a stable. Not sure why I shouldn't vote Miz here, hasn't won a world title yet, but titles don't mean everything.

14. Big Sexy

Big Sexy Deadly Rap Cannibal

Tag titles maybe, but a lot of that can be attributed to the weak division the last few years. However, when it comes to the US title Miz hasn't done shit. He has had it since October and I honestly think he has defended it less then 5 times and he has only defended twice on ppv against MVP both times.

In a few years my vote may go to the Miz but for now he isn't on Windham's level.

15. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA

Why did I vote for The Miz here?

Because throughout his entire career, he's overcome adversity. He doesn't look like your typical professional wrestler in the first place. He looks like he should be living the life of whatever people on The Real World wind up doing once their 15 minutes is up. The Miz came into wrestling a D-List celebrity, and since then, he's earned everything he's worked for. He's an underdog. He's become a legitimate WWE Superstar and is one of the most entertaining parts of any program that he's on. Miz has also made a career of challenging the very best the business has to offer. John Cena is on another level, but that didn't stop The Miz from calling him out. He's kept on applying his craft, and he keeps on defying odds. He holds victories over some of the biggest stars of this generation.

What has Barry Windham done? He had THREE failed runs in the WWF. People can go ahead and argue he was a member of The Four Horsemen. So were Paul Roma and Steve "Mongo" McMichael. He peaked back when WCW was still a flailing promotion, and he beat The Great Muta for the NWA Championship. Okay, that's impressive, but that was his peak... it also came at a time where the WCW Championship was in flux. Windham also took breaks for YEARS at a time. To me, that shows a real lack of heart, and The Miz has shown he has nothing but a true passion for the business.

The way I look at this is that Windham is just a journeyman. The Miz hasn't even peaked yet, and is a future WWE Champion... something Windham couldn't even sniff in all three failed runs in the WWF. The Miz is only improving as a whole, and if he's ON, he can beat a guy like Windham.

16. Cena's Little Helper

Cena's Little Helper Mid-Card Championship Winner

The Miz embodies everything that is wrong with professional wrestling today. If mic skills weren't such an essential component of how a professional wrestler is now rated, The Miz would probably get a D-.

I never liked Windham, and Shocky brings up some great points about his not being able to do anything with what was handed to him in WCW. I mean, the man beat The Great Muta for the NWA Championship belt for pete's sake. If Windham was truly considered a great, then this wouldn't be such a blemish on Muta's otherwise storied career.

Ultimately, I'm voting for the lesser of two evils, and I will be doing in the HHH/Lesnar match.

Shocky likes this.
  17. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

The Miz sucks, plain and simple. He's a great promo cutter, but that's all he has to offer.

Barry Windham on the other hand, not the most charismatic guy, but man was he a damn fine professional wrestler. I absolutely loved his matches against Ric Flair, in particular. There's nothing The Miz has done, or ever will do, that could top those matches between Windham and Flair.

So, yeah... the Miz would make a great manager, but as a wrestler? He doesn't deserve to beat anybody worth a damn in a tournament like this, let alone someone like Barry Windham.

18. ZeroVX

ZeroVX 2-Time WZCW Mayhem Champion

Barry Windham gets my vote here. Miz can cut a great promo, no doubt. And his wrestling ability is fairly underrated. But he hasn't done much of anything outside of his tag work. Yes, he's the US Champion right now, but he hasn't defended since he became tag champ, which is just wrecking the division right now. Barry Windham is a former world champion, and has wrestled excellent matches with the best of his era. I think that puts him over Miz in this case.

19. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

Come on Shocky. You know better than this. Yea, Benoit, Malenko, fucking Paul Roma, and Mongo McMichael are in this category, but not Barry Windham.

Windham was also as hot as anyone in the company aside from Flair. He was chosen over Luger, Vader, and many other worthy foes. Barry Windham is a second generation wrestler and had to pay dues like everyone else did in that time and even more so because of who he was. I read JJ Dillon's book and a story that stood out was when Dillon, Dusty Rhodes, and Dick Murdoch were in a truck that ended up overheating and was unable to be driven. Barry Windham passed them flying in a truck loaded with ring gear. Now, once Windham realized who it was, he came back...and was promptly put in the back of the truck for about a 4 hour road trip in Texas. During the summer. It was hot. And on top of that, Windham worked a match that night with Rhodes, Stan Hansen and Murdoch AND was on the ring crew helping take down and put the ring back together. So Windham paid his dues and learned from the best wrestlers in the world back in his day.

Because he was in an era of Flair, Vader, and Luger... who were better...wait for it... DRAWS than Windham. No one said anything about drawing money being a factor here. Ring skills alone have Windham thumping Miz here.

I beg to differ. Who did Miz beat for the US Title? Exactly. Windham beat Dusty Rhodes for the crown and carried the belt for nearly a year, defending it against Rhodes, Dr. Death Steve Williams, STING!, and countless other challengers. And turned them ALL back. Miz hasn't paid dues, is about as tough as a fart, and has ZERO credibility as a challenger to anyone of the elite wrestlers in this tourney.

Vote Barry Windham.

20. FromTheSouth

FromTheSouth You don't want it with me.

I have been voting old school like a motherfucker, but, honestly, I am going Miz here. I think Barry Windham was the worst Horsemen pre-Mongo. He was The Horseman who would always job to make them look beatable for a face to get pushed. He was basically the Kane of the late 70's and early 80's. He was a name who squashed jobbers, but lost when it mattered.

The Miz is an incredibly entertaining champion. He continues to go over big time champions. He has wrestled Cena at least one **** match. Windham's best matches were against Flair in his prime. Mid 80's Flair could carry me piss drunk to ****. Windham is a jobber to the stars, Miz is a star....do the math.

21. CynicSteve

CynicSteve Jobber to the stars!!!

This one was way too easy. BW without a moment of hesistation.

The Miz is on a huge push to the top right now but still needs a couple years before his peak.

Windham was a great worker, won a myriad of championships, and was able to work any spot on the card as either a heel or face. For those of you who say he got everything because of his father. I have two words to dispute this. Kendall Windham. He had the same pedigree but never reached the top because he didn't have the drive or passion. Barry did. He would do anything to make sure the fans left happy. This is like saying Bret Hart only got what he did because he was Stu's son. What Randy Savage is Angelo Poffo's son? I. Guess we can keep him around for a while. This is just a dumb argument.

22. deem

deem Getting Noticed By Management

Ok. So. I'm considering everything in my vote to make this tournament realistic.

1) Miz frequently upsets bigger stars than him.

2) Steamboat is the winner of this matches likely second round opponent.

3) Steamboat shines against heels.

For the logic of the tournament, I'm saying that Miz would probably upset Windham, brag about defeating a legend, before jobbing to Steamboat in a classic retribution storyline that professional wrestling holds so dear.

I just can't see the darling of the WWE right now jobbing first round in a tournament like this - Windham is the PERFECT person to give him an upset against. He is a legend, but not one with a legacy to the extend that he would look ridiculous going out in the first round.

I actually think, right now, Miz is more relevant than a prime Windham and as such I'm voting that way. It's not like his ringstyle could never feasibly beat Windham, he strives on taking a beating and pulling out an upset.

23. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Barry Windham's list of accomplishments is impressive. If one goes by that alone, it's easy to see Windham getting votes. The problem is that most of those wins took place just before the territory system started to go belly up. Windham came out when there were still lots of good wrestling companies out there that one could go to and earn a good living. I don't think it's all that out of the realm of possibility to believe that the Miz couldn't have won his share of NWA regional titles had he been born 20 or 30 years earlier. I'm a fan of Barry Windham, but I do think that The Miz could beat him. The Miz is someone that's hot right now, it's true, and he's definitely surpassed the low expectations that many of us had for him a couple of years back. Barry Windham was someone that never really lived up to his potential. I know, there's that damn word that you sometimes hear. Windham had some damn good matches, especially against Ric Flair but I'm not giving Windham a vote simply because of things Ric Flair says about him or just because he was a Horseman. As far as Windham's look goes, what was so great about it? Windham was a tall, lanky guy from Texas with long bleached blonde hair. While I don't always put stock in "the look", I think Windham had far from an ideal look.

I can't blame someone for voting for Barry Windham, he was great in my opinion. Was he as good as he possibly could have been? Probably not. The Miz is someone that has a bright future ahead of him and, in my opinion, has shown that he might be a legitimate main eventer some day. I like The Miz, have for quite a while now and I'm gonna give the guy a chance. I know he'll probably lose via the votes, but I'm going with him.

24. PsychoBlack

PsychoBlack Damn it feels good to be a Taylor!!

windham takes this one not because how good he is but because miz is just to young and inexperienced in a few years miz will tae this match up but now barry goe over and this is in texas so barry has home field advantage

windham for the win

25. Suneeboy

Suneeboy Big Boot, Leg Drop, 1....2....3

I voted for The Miz based off of potential, and simply because I like him better. Windham has a great list of accomplishments, but in a case like this I don't give a damn about accomplishments. The early rounds aren't about accomplishments in my view, they are popularity contests in most cases. I'll save the in depth analysis for the later rounds when the arguments and votes really matter. Neither of these guys are going to go that far, so why try to make a case for Windham, when there's no denying that the Miz is far more entertaining than Barry ever was? The Horseman were Flair and Anderson. The other two and subsequent replacements are only known by wrestling enthusiasts like us.

Vote Miz. His recent mic work has been out of this world, and that alone is enough for him to get my vote. I won't even get into how much more entertaining he is than Windham and how much he has improved over the past 2 years.