Scott Hall never winning the WCW/World Heavyweight Championship

To Honkey_Kong, dude I understand your point as clear as you explained it. But you failed to pay attention when I meant the meaning behind it. Do we even really need to mention that wrestling is pre-determined?

I know that theres been numerous times when someone has won the world title at wwe or wcw and it makes you go huh what? But taking that out, when you're considered a great wrestler/storyteller/draw you're considered by the top brass to be the World champion of that company. Scott Hall (excluding his personal issues and d&a abuse) fit the mold perfectly. He had been wrestling for many years, he could wrestle, he had mic skills, he was a draw.

I think what hurt Scott's chances was he was under that cloud of craziness that was going on at the the time in WCW and wrestling in general. Plus his well documented d&a issues. If he would have been a focused man, and walked up to Bischoff and the top wcw brass and said "look, Im world championship material, I would like my opportunity at the belt" things would have looked promising for him.

Instead he just sort of got lost in the shuffle.

Two things.

1. Go ask shawn michaels, chris jericho, cm punk, edge, christian, bret hart, sting, and ric flair if the world chamionship means anything. Why don't you walk up to john cena and ask him why he carries a prop around with him. You may get slapped. No, they didn't really win anything per say. But when given the opportunity to be world champion do you know what that means? It means a group of guy sat around and said "hmm, who is a guy we can trust to help so and so carry this company? Who is going to be the guy right now that we can trust to be THE guy?" Go watch the chris jericho dvd when he explains how he felt when he became champion, and what it meant to him. Then you can try coming on here and telling me its "just a prop". It matters.

2. If hall didn't leave WWF in 96 you all know damn well there would have been a 3rd ladder match for the title between shawn and razor. They may have even feuded over it. He was "the bad guy" after all.

I think it was more that the WWF guys that one the title, Nash, Hogan, Macho, Bret were past WWF champions. So they had that recognition as a champion. WCW only pushed there own home grown guys, DDP and Goldberg, to championship reigns at the time. Scott Hall may have been better than a few of those guys but if in his prime he was only an IC champ for the other federation why would they make him a champ for theirs? Perhap it was more of an egotistical thing for WCW. They didn't want to seem weak by making their rivals top mid-carder into they heavyweight champ.

This idea of Hall never being world champ has always troubled me, he seemed to have such good hype throughout his career and was always a good performer. I myself always liked the guy, he had sweet promos and nWo was badass. I'm sure giving Hall a 2-3 month reign wouldn't have hurt the company.

OH well, its beyond me.

Hall was a major star in WCW, but was only the 3rd biggest name in the group. Hogan and Nash were always going to be the 2 who were sniffing around the World Title when the trio was together as a faction, with Hall being the top guy of the supporting cast.

I would have liked to have seen him have at least one run with the top belt, as we are stuck with an endless list of "What If?" surrounding Scott Hall's career, but for the reason I just mentioned, and his personal issues it was just not meant to be.

Hall's in-ring skills, look, promo skills and size were more than adequate to be champion. He was easily good enough, but its well known that he has had serious substance abuse problems, and you simply cannot rely on a guy like that. You cannot make him the face of the company, the go-to guy and the World Champion who represents your company when you are constantly worried about what shape he will be in when he turns up and whether he is capable of wrestling a good match. That was especially the case when WCW was in the middle of a war with WWE, and putting the wrong guy on top could be a crucial mistake. I known Shawn Michaels had problems too, but it never affected his in-ring work. Whether he was drugged up at night or not, HBK was always 1st class in the ring.

Hall also didnt seem the sort of guy who was bothered about the title, although I am sure he would liked to have won it at some point. He was interested in money, and its' well known that he didnt like having to put more effort in that he needed to, which isnt really what you want your champion to be. Hall seemed content in his spot in WCW, earning big bucks for little work and remaining at the upper mid card level.

However, I think if he had wanted to be, and could have remained clean, Hall could have been a good champion in WCW, maybe even leading the challenge AGAINST the nWo. The fans always liked him, and I would have liked to have seen him in that role. I guess we will never know just how good he could have been, and how far he could have gone, as his substance problems got worse as time went on....

I've watched a lot of videos on Scott Hall and listened to a ton of shoot interviews from Erc Bischoff, Kevin Nash, and even Vincent(Virgil) They all said Hall had a horrible drinking and pill problem even then. He could not control it, he was showing up to the shows drunk, there were times they had to cancel his appearance on Nitro because they had no clue what he would do out there. Scott Hall had all the potential in the world, he was making the IC belt just as big or of not bigger than the WWF title at that time. I wonder if his demons had anything to do with him being released by WWE the 1st time.(it did the 2nd time) There is a video on youtube of Scott in Massachussetts(spell check) this year, it will make you want cry if you have been a fan of this guy since Razor Ramon. He has people helping him to the ring, he looks so fucked up it's sad. He was tag teaming with Justin Credible and after the match even Justin said he was amazed they let Scott go to the ring.

The best thing I've heard about Scott Hall is, a few months later he admitted that he has a problem, that's the first step to any type of recovery. Scott really seems like a down to earth guy, and he's always been more than nice to his fans(met him in 94) I really hope he turns his life around. Godspeed Scott Hall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back