• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Scott Hall Truely "the greatest star NOT to win a world title"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM Steel

A REAL American
Even though Scott Hall is in bad shape with his addictions and demons. His wrestling legacy should always be mentioned when it comes to the golden era of wrestling. As Scott Hall in the AWA & WCW, and as Razor Ramon in the WWF. In the AWA after Hulk Hogan left the promotion Scott Hall was getting pushed to be the next Hulk Hogan in the AWA. And then in the WWF as Razor Ramon, Hall has had some groundbreaking matches. Like in the first ever WWF ladder match at Wrestlemania 10 for the IC championship against WWE hall of famer Shawn Michaels, in where Razor (Hall) won the epic match up.

In WCW Hall was in one of the most powerful wrestling stable's in wrestling history, the New World Order. Where Hall was one of the three founding members. And Hall won the WCW U.S. championship a couple times. After getting suspended by WCW in 2000, Scott Hall wrestled in ECW for a short while in matches against his friend Justin Credible. It was kinda sad to see a guy who co-headlined Wrestlemania 10 to see him end up wrestling in a old bingo hall that was ECW, little alone not win a world championship in any of the promotions he's wrestled in.

But that shouldn't diminish Scott Hall's wrestling legacy right? Because when wrestling fans ask the almight question, "who is the greatest wrestler NOT to be a world champion". Scott Hall comes to mind.

Hall certainly could have been a World Champion at some point. Especially in WCW where his popularity was at it's peak. I mean shit, he could have gotten anything he wanted so I've always been surprised that he never got a reign or 2.

Having said that, no. He isn't the greatest never to hold the title in my opinion. I tend to rate guys like Dibiase, Curt Hennig, Owen Hart, and Roddy Piper above Hall. That's not to say that he doesn't belong on the list but to me, those guys were all better.

One name. Mr. Perfect. Curt Hennig pretty much had it all (as in mic skills, in-ring talent etc.) and should of had it all. 1 time WCW US champion, 1 time WCW World Tag Team champion and a two time WWF Intercontinental champion. He helped make the WWF Intercontinental championship as almost as prestigous as the WWF Championship. He's also been on, I think 5 Wrestlemania's. So to answer your question, he is a bigger star than Scott Hall not to win a world title.

Hall certainly could have been a World Champion at some point. Especially in WCW where his popularity was at it's peak. I mean shit, he could have gotten anything he wanted so I've always been surprised that he never got a reign or 2.

Having said that, no. He isn't the greatest never to hold the title in my opinion. I tend to rate guys like Dibiase, Curt Hennig, Owen Hart, and Roddy Piper above Hall. That's not to say that he doesn't belong on the list but to me, those guys were all better.

I agree with almost everything you said except the part where you mentioned Curt Hennig not winning a world title. Curt Hennig is a former AWA WORLD champion may God bless his soul. And Curt Hennig tagged with Scott Hall from back in the days of AWA. So really Curt Hennig is a former WORLD champion. That's just what it is.

Roddy Fucking Piper. Rowdy Roddy is without question (to me) the best wrestler in the history of the world to never be World Champion and Vince McMahon should be put in jail for not giving him the belt! Ted Dibiase is definitely next but then after that I'm not too sure. I might put Hall at number 3 but Owen Hart and British Bulldog were both great entertainers too. I think I'd go with Owen then Hall then Bulldog as my top 5 greatest stars to not win a world title

I agree with almost everything you said except the part where you mentioned Curt Hennig not winning a world title. Curt Hennig is a former AWA WORLD champion may God bless his soul. And Curt Hennig tagged with Scott Hall from back in the days of AWA. So really Curt Hennig is a former WORLD champion. That's just what it is.

Here's the problem with that logic though. Saying Curt Hennig was world champion is a little like saying Joe Hennig was a world champion. Yeah they were world champions but of some rinky-dink promotion no one ever got to see on national television.

All 5 of those guys, Scott Hall, Ted Dibiase Sr., Curt Hennig, Owen Hart, and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, as well as Jake "The Snake". Honestly, it's not the worst thing in the world really. Because look at his company. That's a prestigious group to be a part of.

I'm not going to say that any one of them deserved to be WWF or WCW champion moreso than any of the others because they all undeniably deserved it.

However, Scott Hall & Jake "The Snake" are the only two that aren't in the WWE HoF (Owen too but that's because of his widow and not WWE's doing).

Finally, what you said is technically true as it reads. Scott Hall was "in the first ever WWF ladder match at Wrestlemania 10 for the IC championship against WWE hall of famer Shawn Michaels" but that's only because no one else was in a WWF ladder match at Wrestlemania 10 for the IC championship against HBK.

Bret Hart was the first winner of the first ladder match in the WWF. It was Bret that suggested the idea of a ladder match in a WWF event. It was HBK that really took it to the next level however. Just setting the record straight.

Jake the Snake could have slithered his way into a world title run back in the 80's in my opinion... he had a series of GREAT fueds, and was the master of ring psychology. I always enjoyed Razor too, but Jake was a bigger star to me. All of the others mentioned were awesome too... a shame that the belts get handed around a lot more today to guys who couldn't carry Jake the Snake's jock back in the day (i.e. Jeff Hardy).

Here's the problem with that logic though. Saying Curt Hennig was world champion is a little like saying Joe Hennig was a world champion. Yeah they were world champions but of some rinky-dink promotion no one ever got to see on national television.

Oh Jesus, you do realize AWA was on ESPN during Hennig's Title reign right? So that's the problem with YOUR logic. And as far as the topic goes, I'm a huge Scott Hall Fan, I love the guy but I'd argue Piper as a bigger star to have never won the big one over Hall. Hall's demons I think cost him those kind of opportunities where as Hogan's politics probably played a factor with Piper.

Well this is my top 10 Superstars that should have been World Champion:
1. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
2. "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase
3. Mr Perfect
4. Razor Ramon/Scott Hall
5. William Regal
6. Owen Hart
7. The British Bulldog
8. Jake "The Snake" Roberts
9. William Regal
10. Shane McMahon

I'll explain why Razor Ramon, Scott Hall, whatever the fuck you wanna call him, wasn't at the top. He didn't really appeal. Maybe it's my opinion, but, look at guys like Piper and Mr Perfect, two different, yet appealing guys that you would always remember for one thing or another. Where as I remember Hall for the Ladder Match and the nWo.

Piper and Mr Perfect. Why the fuck were you never champion? I know. You never kissed ass.

Other mentions like Bulldog, Hart, Regal and Roberts were because they were either different, good wrestlers or appealing to the crowd. Obviously, Hart's career was cut short massivley, and I have no doubt (same applies with Bulldog) that if they had never died they would be World Champions and possibly still with the company as a trainer or one of its verteran superstars.

And the Million Dollar Frigging Man. You were so bloody close to the gold you even had it before it was vacated. The Million Dollar Championship may have been a good idea, but, it is still no WWE (or at the time F) Championship. :(

1. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
3. Mr Perfect
5. William Regal
6. Owen Hart
7. The British Bulldog
9. William Regal
10. Shane McMahon

Does anyone else see what I see?

Owen Hart, I think was still kinda bracketed into the old school way of really jumping through hoop after hoop to make it to the top, and had not quite yet earned his stripes. He definitely would have been world champion, and probably even the face of the company instead of Cena. He was a couple years younger than HBK afterall.

Sorry but I have never liked, in any capacity other than disgusting heel, William Regal. Not trying to troll, I'm just saying, I can't stand him. :p

Honestly I think when you're talking about a top 10 list of guys that didn't win the world title, Earthquake has to rank pretty high, as does Big Boss Man/Ray Traylor.

I'm not going to rank a list of who deserves what because in reality their is/was reasons why each didn't get the belt. Did Hall deserve a World title run, in WWF had he not of bailed for WCW I generally believe he would of been the guy to dethone Shawn in late 96' but we'll never know.

In WCW what kept Hall down was his drinking, he had World title shots in 2000 on PPV and IF Hall had been clean I think he would of had a run but again who knows, Hall had some memorible matches and title runs in wrestling and was part of probably the biggest angle that was re-hashed in WWE and TNA (NWO/Band) so Hall had some major, positives on wrestling but world titles he didn't need.

The fact is they all deserved a title run at some point and its hard to say any one of them deserved it more than another but what i do think is Hall would have benifited most from a world title run in WWE. If he had stayed in WWE I am sure he would have truly cemented his legacy as one of the all time greats and maybe been in better shape today. But like i said they all deserved it as much as each other.

1. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
3. Mr Perfect
5. William Regal
6. Owen Hart
7. The British Bulldog
9. William Regal
10. Shane McMahon

I'll explain why Razor Ramon, Scott Hall, whatever the fuck you wanna call him, wasn't at the top. He didn't really appeal. Maybe it's my opinion, but, look at guys like Piper and Mr Perfect, two different, yet appealing guys that you would always remember for one thing or another. Where as I remember Hall for the Ladder Match and the nWo.

Piper and Mr Perfect. Why the fuck were you never champion? I know. You never kissed ass.

Other mentions like Bulldog, Hart, Regal and Roberts were because they were either different, good wrestlers or appealing to the crowd. Obviously, Hart's career was cut short massivley, and I have no doubt (same applies with Bulldog) that if they had never died they would be World Champions and possibly still with the company as a trainer or one of its verteran superstars.

And the Million Dollar Frigging Man. You were so bloody close to the gold you even had it before it was vacated. The Million Dollar Championship may have been a good idea, but, it is still no WWE (or at the time F) Championship. :(

ok so you've explained all the other choices, all debatable but you make a case supporting your choices so i respect that... my question is how the heck you have shane mcmahon on that list??? And how rick rude is NOT on that list? Shane could have had it in the sense that he had the stroke to get the title on himself, but fortunately he had the business sense not to... wish the same could be said for his dad and the ECW title.

i think in a different era the rest of those guys could have easily been champions, back in the 80s though it was all about a handful of champions whereas from attitude on, damn near everyone deserving did get it at some point or another.

I would have to say "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff. When he was feuding with Hogan back in the day, a lot of people thought for sure he would be the one to knock Hulkamania out. My other favorite none world champion that everyone has overlooked is "Magnificent" Don Muraco, he had the look, the charisma, and the ability to be a great world champion.

Yea like the posts above me,there are a ton of names that deserved to have a run as top champ but to answer your question I wouldnt say he wasnst the "greatest" star not be a world champ.
My favorite memory of Scott hall was definitely his time in wwe as Razor Ramon - if I had a top 5 of the early 90's he would be up there! I truly thought he was next to reach the top gold until he jumped ship

I do not consider winning the AWA title equivalent to being WCW/WWE champ. Scott Hall is up there, but not top 5, I would really have to research this to give you a top 10. I'm going off WCW/WWE

1. Roddy Piper- no explanation needed, next to Mr. Wonderful he's probably the best heel ever. Mr. Wonderful got serious death threats in the 80's

2. Mr. Perfect- When you have a great ring technician like Bret Hart saying Curt Hennig is the best guy he ever wrestled, that's saying a lot. Not only did he have it in the ring, his promo's were just as good as Ric Flair or Dusty Rhodes.

3. Ric Rude- He was in the right place at the wrong time. Hogan, Savage, and Warrior were doing there thing, and for some reason WWE liked the idea of 2 faces in the championship angle during his era. I think he would have made a great heel champion...better than sgt slaughter, sorry that gimmick was lame.

4.Ted Dibiase-Another great heel who should have been champion atleast once. He owned his gimmick, and he could give a killer promo.

5. Mr. Wonderful- Like I said earlier, he worked his character so well he was getting death threats, and this was during Hulk Hogans first title reign. IMO he's one of the great wrestlers nobody talks about. Pretty Wonderful was an awesome tag team in WCW too.

I do not consider winning the AWA title equivalent to being WCW/WWE champ. Scott Hall is up there, but not top 5, I would really have to research this to give you a top 10. I'm going off WCW/WWE

1. Roddy Piper- no explanation needed, next to Mr. Wonderful he's probably the best heel ever. Mr. Wonderful got serious death threats in the 80's

2. Mr. Perfect- When you have a great ring technician like Bret Hart saying Curt Hennig is the best guy he ever wrestled, that's saying a lot. Not only did he have it in the ring, his promo's were just as good as Ric Flair or Dusty Rhodes.

3. Ric Rude- He was in the right place at the wrong time. Hogan, Savage, and Warrior were doing there thing, and for some reason WWE liked the idea of 2 faces in the championship angle during his era. I think he would have made a great heel champion...better than sgt slaughter, sorry that gimmick was lame.

4.Ted Dibiase-Another great heel who should have been champion atleast once. He owned his gimmick, and he could give a killer promo.

5. Mr. Wonderful- Like I said earlier, he worked his character so well he was getting death threats, and this was during Hulk Hogans first title reign. IMO he's one of the great wrestlers nobody talks about. Pretty Wonderful was an awesome tag team in WCW too.
How can you not consider winning the AWA title equivalent to being WCW/WWE champ?

Isn't AWA where Hulk Hogan got his big break even after leaving the WWF the first time to go film that Rocky 3 flick? That's like saying that Booker T winning the WCW championship 5X's isn't equivalent to winning the WWE world heavyweight championship due to WCW now being defunct.

The AWA isn't/wasn't a rinky-dink wrestling promotion like everybody thinks it was. When you have your wrestling promotion on ESPN TV, that's doing it real big in a aspect!

So to all the new booty's out there. Don't sleep on what the AWA was okay?

Ok, then take Mr. Perfect off of the list, my God. ESPN started in 1979, which was toward the end of AWA, grant it they had some decent years here and there in the early 80's, but they could not hold a candle to WWE or NWA at the time. Almost all of the young talent from AWA jumped to WWE. If AWA was what you're trying to make it out to be, then they would have stayed. WWE and NWA were much bigger. So therefore, it is not equal! Please do not call me a "new booty" if you really want to get into the history of this business. We can.

Have a nice day...Moooommmy!!!

Mr. Perfect was the AWA World Champion. Plus he was also the Intercontinental Champion & during that time it was about the same level as the WWF Championship.

Rick Rude was the WCW International World Heavyweight Champion. But his career was ended far too early. I think he would've gone on to hold the normal WCW World belt or WWF World Title.

Scott Hall does make my list with Roddy Piper, Junkyard Dog, Paul Orndorff, Million Dollar Man, Goldust, Jake Roberts.

Even though Hall was as over as anyone in WWF / WCW his personal issues made him a very poor canidate for world champion. The man who comes to mind for being a deserving world champion for me will always be the hot rod. Capable in ring competitor and if you ask me the greatest talker in wrestling history.

Ok, then take Mr. Perfect off of the list, my God. ESPN started in 1979, which was toward the end of AWA, grant it they had some decent years here and there in the early 80's, but they could not hold a candle to WWE or NWA at the time. Almost all of the young talent from AWA jumped to WWE. If AWA was what you're trying to make it out to be, then they would have stayed. WWE and NWA were much bigger. So therefore, it is not equal! Please do not call me a "new booty" if you really want to get into the history of this business. We can.

Have a nice day...Moooommmy!!!

I just can't see how can you feel that the AWA was a little rinky-dink wrestling promotion. That was "the original" WWF! It was just that AWA was what is FCW is now to the WWF/E, a promotion to bring developed talent. Look at the names who were there before they signed with Vince McMahon Jr.

-Hulk Hogan
-Shawn Michaels
-Mr Perfect
-Scott Hall
-The Heenan Family

I can do this all day really!

You saw those John Cena T-Shirt's from a couple years back when they spun the grapics from the AWA logo on the T-Shirt. So AWA did play a big factor in "the history of pro wrestling worldwide"! And the WWE knows it.

Ok, then take Mr. Perfect off of the list, my God. ESPN started in 1979, which was toward the end of AWA, grant it they had some decent years here and there in the early 80's, but they could not hold a candle to WWE or NWA at the time. Almost all of the young talent from AWA jumped to WWE.

Hogan jumped in 1984. So for 5 years, AWA was broadcast on ESPN with those young talented wrestlers destined for the WWE. And why does any talent in any sport jump ship? More money. By 1984, Vince had plans of going national and Hogan knew what was good for him and took the bigger contract/the larger potential. We all get on Hogan for being in business for himself, so is it any different back then? WWE was looking at a bigger picture but hadn't done all that much in terms of national expansion yet. But WWE had potential for growth, whereas AWA was stuck in its roots of the territory system.

But as to the thread topic: No. Not at all. I agree with many of the other names posted here, and my two personal votes are for Piper and Roberts, with an honorable mention going to Ted Dibiase. Honorable mention simply because I enjoyed how his gimmick was money buys you anything, but it never got him the championship. I thought it was a nice bit of social commentary (even though I'd bet that had little to do with it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back