Saints/Vikings

Hold on, hold on.... that was most DEFINITELY a catch by Meachem. It didn't look like it on some of the angles, but there one was great angle that CLEARLY showed he had one hand under the ball. Whether it hit the ground or not, there was no clear camera shot of it, so how could it get overturned?

And as far as the ball positioning... that was another case where it wasn't indisputable evidence to overturn the call. To the naked eye it looked like Pierre got passed the first down marker, and that's all that really matters.

After Favre's what, 3rd turnover of the game, I knew the Gods of Football were smiling upon this day.

I don't care how much talent you have, 5 turnovers is not going to give you a win, especially with a trip to the SB on the line

Also it never ceases to amaze me and how annoying Viking fans can be, especially when they lose, I had to leave my friends house cause he and his GF were throwing a huge temper tantrum over the lose, serious they were throwing a fit like they were a couple of two year olds, and somebody had just taken their toy away

Oh I dunno the whole "maintain possession to the ground" rule comes to mind. He juggles it the whole time going down and the ball hits the ground and he somehow gets a hand under it AFTER the fact.

I dunno maybe just MAYBE in any other game that's an incomplete pass?

Yeah he looked over before he lost the ball.. As it was coming loose the ball put him behind the marker. I thought that was a clear turnover on downs.

I honestly don't care who won that game because I think the Colts are winning the SB :)

Oh I dunno the whole "maintain possession to the ground" rule comes to mind. He juggles it the whole time going down and the ball hits the ground and he somehow gets a hand under it AFTER the fact.

I dunno maybe just MAYBE in any other game that's an incomplete pass?

Dude, we actually never saw the ball hit the ground, did we? All you can do is assume it did because of the odd positioning, but you still couldn't see it, and because of that, you can't overcall the ruling on the field.

I don't care how much talent you have, 5 turnovers is not going to give you a win, especially with a trip to the SB on the line

But it's Favre! If he can't make 5 interceptions in a playoff game and make it to the Super Bowl, then he's not getting there.
Also it never ceases to amaze me and how annoying Viking fans can be, especially when they lose, I had to leave my friends house cause he and his GF were throwing a huge temper tantrum over the lose, serious they were throwing a fit like they were a couple of two year olds, and somebody had just taken their toy away

I know what you mean. I distinctly chose not to send a taunting text to one of my friends who is a Vikings fan, because I knew if I did I wouldn't be talking to her for a week. Vikings fans are extremely touchy when they lose, but can't wait to storm the streets when they win. I had to learn all about that the two times they pegged the Packers.

I saw the ball hit the ground clear as day.

cafe.jpg

As a Vikings fan I am majorly disappointed. But I gotta give the Saints some props. They really are a good team. Favre is a freaking warrior. The dude just took every hit the Saints threw at him. There were some questionable calls, but every game has those calls. I'm not gonna blame them for the loss. We killed ourselves with turnovers and we stayed in the game because our defense did a great job of containing the Saints in that span. The football Gods just weren't on the Vikings side today.

This season was definitely one of the most exciting seasons I've ever watched as a fan of the Purple. And I wish the best of luck to the Saints, they deserve it.

Dude, we actually never saw the ball hit the ground, did we? All you can do is assume it did because of the odd positioning, but you still couldn't see it, and because of that, you can't overcall the ruling on the field.

When did jmt225 and Becker become one?

Yeah, I strongly believe he wasn't over on fourth and one because the ball was coming loose. I strongly believe that P.I call was bull shit because it was floating out of bounds and was over thrown. I believe that pass hit the ground and Meachem(I think it was him) didn't maintain possession all the way through. Favre did fuck up, but those fumbles inside the ten weren't his fault. The Vikes had a chance to put it away but A Pete and Berrian decided to let loose a little bit.

The key word here was "strongly believe." NFL officials cannot overturn a call on the field because of a "strong belief." They need "indisputable video evidence." There was not indisputable video evidence of either play to warrant overturning the call on the field. If the calls on the field were opposite (not a first down or not a completion), they most likely wouldn't have been overturned.

Regardless we turned the ball over 5 times. Our bad I know this. But those 5 came in regulation and when it came to overtime, the horrible spot on the 3rd down throw. The extremely horrible spot on 4th down. The interference call was absolute horse shit, and then to call that pass to Meachem a catch is unfuckingbelievable. Yeah we shot ourselves in the foot but for the refs to shoot us in the chest with a shotgun is fucking ridiculous.

We had 5 turnovers and still got it to overtime, only for the refs to hand the game to the Saints

The Pass Interference call wasn't a good call, but that happens sometimes. From the referees angle, it probably looked like he tackled the receiver. NFL officials aren't perfect, and to expect them to be is ridiculous, especially considering NFL official isn't even a full time position, these guys have a 9-5 too.

10 yards? The man is 40 years old and no longer the fleetest of foot. He would have gotten 5 yards max. Even then the field goal would have been 50+. Whoever was responsible for the 12 men thing needs to get released or fired. That is what forced Favre to try and make a play. Everyone knows the interceptions come with Favre. He contributed a lot more good then bad in the game and really kept them alive.

Sorry, but when a QB (regardless of age/speed) has nobody near him and a blocker, it is safe to assume that he isn't getting hit for at least 7 yards. Remember that he doesn't have to get out of bounds to stop the clock, because they have a time out. The ball was snapped from the 38. If they get 7 yards (what should be a MINIMUM if he ran it), you're kicking a 48 yard field goal. That's a make-able kick. Even if he threw it out of bounds (a better play in that situation), it is a 55 yard kick, which is long, but not impossible. Both results are better then making a throw a rookie knows better then to make.

Sorry, but when a QB (regardless of age/speed) has nobody near him and a blocker, it is safe to assume that he isn't getting hit for at least 7 yards. Remember that he doesn't have to get out of bounds to stop the clock, because they have a time out. The ball was snapped from the 38. If they get 7 yards (what should be a MINIMUM if he ran it), you're kicking a 48 yard field goal. That's a make-able kick. Even if he threw it out of bounds (a better play in that situation), it is a 55 yard kick, which is long, but not impossible. Both results are better then making a throw a rookie knows better then to make.

Watch the play again. There were 3 Saints defenders about 10 yards away and they are a lot faster then Favre. Plus Favre isn't going to take a hit so he's going to slide. There is no way he gets any more then 5 yards on the play.

Watch the play again. There were 3 Saints defenders about 10 yards away and they are a lot faster then Favre. Plus Favre isn't going to take a hit so he's going to slide. There is no way he gets any more then 5 yards on the play.

And even if he did get 5 yards which I still think is being generous, they still would have been on the fringe for Longwell's range, so it would have been pushing it for him to make that kick.

All they needed was 5 yds. Longwell is a danm good kicker, the Vikes & Favre should have a little faith in the guy

All they needed was 5 yds. Longwell is a danm good kicker, the Vikes & Favre should have a little faith in the guy

It would have been a 50 yarder at the absolute shortest and he is only 22 for 36 in his career from 50+. The 12 men penalty is what really killed them.

Watching the replay, he would have easily gotten 5 or 7 yards, but not 10. That would put the ball between the 31 and 33 yard line. That's a 48-50 yard field goal. And again, even if he only get 2 yards, its still in long field goal range, which is better then making an EXTREMEMLY low percentage throw.

Another thought about that play(thanks to Trent Dilfer of ESPN). Why did the Vikings get so ultra conservative, running the clock down to try a long field goal? They were throwing well, so why didn't they throw once more to get into easy FG range. They went ultra conservative, and it killed them in the end.

And even if he did get 5 yards which I still think is being generous, they still would have been on the fringe for Longwell's range, so it would have been pushing it for him to make that kick.

It would have been a 50 yarder at the absolute shortest and he is only 22 for 36 in his career from 50+. The 12 men penalty is what really killed them.

If you would rather not try to win the game with a 50-52 (or even 54) yard field goal, then your kicker sucks, and shouldn't be in the NFL. No team in that situation wouldn't try the kick. If it doesn't go in, it doesn't go in, but you have to try it.

If you would rather not try to win the game with a 50-52 (or even 54) yard field goal, then your kicker sucks, and shouldn't be in the NFL. No team in that situation wouldn't try the kick. If it doesn't go in, it doesn't go in, but you have to try it.

Excuse me but a 52 yard FG is a stretch for most kickers in the NFL. It takes a lot of accuracy and power to hit a FG that far.

I'm pretty confident that if we didn't get that 12 man penalty Longwell would have sent us to Miami. That penalty is the equivelent of the 98 season when Anderson missed that FG against Atlanta. Scratch that, the Anderson FG was much, much worse.

Theo "Hitman" Mays;1746255 said:
I'm pretty confident that if we didn't get that 12 man penalty Longwell would have sent us to Miami. That penalty is the equivelent of the 98 season when Anderson missed that FG against Atlanta. Scratch that, the Anderson FG was much, much worse.

No comparison there, that 98 FG was heartbreaking. The 12 man penalty was just like: What the fuck more can we do to lose this game?

Excuse me but a 52 yard FG is a stretch for most kickers in the NFL. It takes a lot of accuracy and power to hit a FG that far.

I never said he would definitely make it, or that every kicker in the NFL would make it. What I was saying is that a 52 yard field goal is make-able, and you need to have enough confidence in your kicker to TRY the kick. If you would rather punt, go for the first down, or turn the ball over, then that is your prerogative. I would rather give my team the chance to win the game with a hard, but not impossible field goal, especially considering the time left in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back