• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rumor: Possible Problems Between Punk & WWE

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Recently, it was reported that CM Punk will be making an appearance on the Talking Dead, which is sort of a post show for the Walking Dead on AMC. The WWE has done nothing to promote this appearance, nor have they mentioned anything about him being named the Grand Marshal of the Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Punk took to Twitter and posted some comments. At the time, I mostly just thought it was Punk staying in character, part of me still feels that, as one of his Tweets had disrespect in it, which is a word he's said very frequently.

However, PWInsider.com is reporting that there's been some issues between Punk & the company that've developed. A little while back, it was said that someone with a lot of standing in the company went off on Vince McMahon backstage in front of some people. Some reports indicate that it was John Cena but PWInsider.com is reporting that now some people, sources I presume, are saying that it was CM Punk who spoke out. A lot of people have initially thought it was CM Punk because Vince was allegedly told that he was out of touch, which is something Punk has said as part of his promos sometimes.

The report also alleges that some feel WWE is doing Punk wrong because he currently isn't featured in any of the WM 29 promotional material despite that he's held the strap for more than a year. The report goes onto state that people aren't sure how Punk'll react if WWE puts the title on The Rock at the Royal Rumble.

If all this is indeed legit, then it's hard not to see why Punk is upset. The Walking Dead is pretty much the hottest thing on television right now. Aside from Monday Night Football, it's the most watched show on cable tv each week. Each episode of the show this season has drawn well over 9 million viewers with the Talking Dead show drawing about a third of that. You know that WWE would be all over it like a duck on a ladybug if Cena was going to be on the show, or if he was the Grand Marshal for the turkey day parade on one of the country's biggest cities. They'd be covering it and hyping it left & right. There are some rumors that Punk agreed to being on the show without running it by WWE first. If that's true, then that's probably what has Vince's panties in a wad because the man's a well known micro-managing control freak.

I can believe that Punk is a legit pissed about this and if so I agree with him, he has every right to be. He has been WWE Champion for over one calender year now and still get overlooked by the WWE in favor of part time guys like The Rock. I have no problem with Cena getting promoted all over the place he much like Punk worked his ass off to get where he is so more power to him. Rock worked hard to get where he is too but he walked away for a long time and I love having him back as much as the next person but Punk should be getting more of the limelight right now than The Rock.

It's obvious that Vince doesn't like Punk, I don't know why he doesn't, Punk has drawn in so many numbers and his 'Best in the World' t-shirt is the only one ever to outsell a Cena t-shirt. Anyone with a brain cell would make CM Punk THE guy, but sadly Vince still thinks people care more about the look of the champion rather then everything else. Last year there was a report that they would be focusing more of shifting some of the company's face onto Punk, but I'm yet to see this. It's all well and good keeping him as champion, but the fact that he has only main evented PPVs that include Cena is a joke.

I am also someone who is a strong disapprover of Punk's heel turn, as this pretty much stops his shifting into the face of the company dead. Yeah, I know that when the Attitude Era was knocking about, with Steve and Rock that Rock did his best work as a heel and I believe that about Punk too. But Punk is a face, he gets cheered and Cena gets Booed, the only reason why Cena hasn't turned heel is because Vince gets a stiffy over him, that's it. I'm hoping with the power shifting to Triple H that, he's not as short sighted as Vince and puts his personal preferences ahead of the company, but only time can tell...

To play devil's advocate for a second, I don't think it's an industry secret, nor do you have to be an "insider" to know that CM Punk isn't really a "company guy". He doesn't like to play by the rules, follow anybody's lead or play nice with others in the locker room. Some might see this as Punk being more "real" than the rest of the roster, not willing to kiss ass and pretend he's on board, just to get ahead. But whatever the reason, he's not a nice guy. He's not willing to do whatever Vince wants. And yeah, I could see him throwing a giant fit if he lost the match at the Royal Rumble to the Rock and had to turn over the belt. I could see him threatening to quit again. Do I think he'd be so unprofessional as to do something in the middle of their match to screw it all up? To "stick it to Vince." I'd like to say no, that he's mature enough and respects the business enough to stick to script...but I don't know if I'd put money on that. I just honestly don't know.

It's not only possible that there is tension or bad blood between Vince and Punk, it's got to be a reality. A man like Vince who holds grudges for eternity isn't just going to forget that Punk held out on the company until the final minutes before his match at Money in the Bank 2011. He's not going to forget that he went out and ran down the company on social media before he made up his mind to re-sign. He's not going to like the fact that Punk made it on his own, or became a big star despite just about everything trying to keep him down. He busted through the glass ceiling, and while I think Vince puts up with Punk because he brings in a lot of cash, there will come a point when that won't be enough. That he'll need to respond to the awful ratings and low pay-per-view buys. And all that blame will come down squarely on Punk's shoulders.

Or maybe not. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. On the flip-side of all of that, I don't think Punk would still be Champion if Vince wasn't taking a huge leap of faith. We've seen ridiculous creative decisions made on the fly to respond to a low rating. But this year, amidst terrible ratings and all of Punk's segments taking viewership drops, he's still the WWE Champion. He has Paul Heyman - a guy that the McMahon's hate with a fiery passion - as his manager. He's beaten Ryback's streak. He's become the 8th longest reigning WWE Champion in history. He got a documentary made about him. He's the poster boy for a revolution and a WWE video game. He does have his face on WWE trucks, posters, 7/11 cups, and whatever else. He got everything he asked for in 2011.

But who's to say that wasn't all part of his contract? There have been reports that Punk asked for some creative control, and had a list of demands for re-signing. Who's to say that Punk didn't DEMAND Paul Heyman be brought back. That he didn't demand to hold the WWE title for an entire year. It's all speculation, internet rumor and what we hear from Punk himself. It's impossible to know where the line is between reality and his character. I guess all we can really do is look back on this in 5-10 years, and figure it out in retrospect.

If this is even true, could we be looking at a Montreal screwjob type of situation with Rock and Punk? It's interesting to think about but I don't think The Rock would do it.

I have to assume that the agreement with the Rock was that he will beat Punk for the belt at the Rumble, so how could Punk not know at this point that that is the plan?

If this is even true, could we be looking at a Montreal screwjob type of situation with Rock and Punk? It's interesting to think about but I don't think The Rock would do it.

I have to assume that the agreement with the Rock was that he will beat Punk for the belt at the Rumble, so how could Punk not know at this point that that is the plan?

I think it has more to do with the fact that even though Punk is building to a match with the Rock he is going to lose, that WWE is not doing anything to build Punk up. He is having to do it all on his own. WWE is ******ed to not realize how popular Punk is and not promoting him being on anything even if not WWE related is just stupid. They go out of their way to make sure everyone knows every time Rock or Cena or Austin for that matter take a shit, and they won't promote Punk being on the most popular and highest rated television drama right now? I can understand him being pissed about that.

I think it has more to do with the fact that even though Punk is building to a match with the Rock he is going to lose, that WWE is not doing anything to build Punk up. He is having to do it all on his own. WWE is ******ed to not realize how popular Punk is and not promoting him being on anything even if not WWE related is just stupid. They go out of their way to make sure everyone knows every time Rock or Cena or Austin for that matter take a shit, and they won't promote Punk being on the most popular and highest rated television drama right now? I can understand him being pissed about that.

I agree. I think that WWE is looking at it like this: Once Punk loses, he's just "another guy" in terms of wrestlemania hype and build up because you're most likely going to have Rock vs. Cena II for the belt, Undertaker in some sort of match, World title match.... Those are the 3 main events and so WWE is thinking that Punk will be on the card but not featured, hence why build him up for the Wrestlemania hype? That's how they're looking at it.

Or it could be that Rock v Cena is the main event and it's already been decided and they're debating what to do with Punk. If they don't have a concrete plan for him it's logical they wouldn't push it. If they decide to give him to Undertaker, then you cannot push that till the belt is off Punk and Taker returns. If he faces Brock or someone like Austin, the same thing applies. Hell, he could end up in the Smackdown title picture before all is said and done. How about just waiting a bit and realizing that as long as he's the champ you cannot book his after title run properly.

Or it could be that Rock v Cena is the main event and it's already been decided and they're debating what to do with Punk. If they don't have a concrete plan for him it's logical they wouldn't push it. If they decide to give him to Undertaker, then you cannot push that till the belt is off Punk and Taker returns. If he faces Brock or someone like Austin, the same thing applies. Hell, he could end up in the Smackdown title picture before all is said and done. How about just waiting a bit and realizing that as long as he's the champ you cannot book his after title run properly.

I don't think he's fighting Austin at this Wrestlemania. Austin has said he doesn't want to be in the shadow of The Rock and he would be if The Rock is fighting Cena for the belt at WM.

I hadn't considered Punk to Smackdown. I guess that's a possibility but overall, you're probably right. They're not sure what do with him yet and that's especially true if he's not in one of THE main events at WM.

I'd really like to see him feud with the Miz if Miz completely turns.

Another thing to consider too is that WWE is planning on building up Orton over the next several months so whether or not that further diminishes Punk's role in the WM hype remains to be seen.

Vince doesn't want his wrestlers branching out. Thats how he lost The Rock. He doesn't like it when they do something that isn't WWE sponsored. Vince had that same issue with Jericho in the past.

Punk shouldn't even be champion right now. Ryback should of won HIAC. Punk is a douchebag, he has had a ridiculously long title reign and he is still going to end up whining about something. Nothing is ever going to please him unless he is treated like Austin or Hogan. And he is not even close to their level.

I think its a freaking shame that they aren't promoting him more. The main reason they aren't promoting him as much is because he isn't the guy they WANT to be on the face of WWE even though he's getting there with the fans.

That's the sad part, he is an all around great performer.

In the ring = solid worker
On the mic = do I even have to explain?
On commentary even = very entertaining
High flying = not like Rey but he does plenty of high risk moves
Ground and pound = he has plenty of moves in his arsenal for this

But they don't WANT him to be THE guy, they want to continue to push Cena as THE guy, even though his time as the face are getting numbered now. He has maybe a couple strong years left then his body will become like Edge's, Austin's, where they want to be there but their body just won't allow them to be.

Personally, I think the entire thing is kayfabe and that Punk is using Twitter and the like to play the fans like violins. And from reading through here, it appears to be working.

Punk's character whines constantly about a lack of respect. What a display of disrespect to avoid any reference whatsoever to his appearance on Talking Dead. If that was Cena or the Rock, WWE would be hyping it extensively. Same for the Thanksgiving parade. Such disrespect seems to be something that would really piss off Punk's character. Seems like the sort of thing his whiny character would complain about, and would do so by reaching out to gullible fans via twitter.

Likewise, when the Rock takes Punk's title at the Royal Rumble (and make no mistake about it, he will), expect the outraged Punk character to make a huge song and dance about it. On twitter, tout , whatever. Playing the fans and exploiting their desire for kayfabe to be reality.

Simply put , you can't believe anything on twitter. It's just a modern tool to help progress storylines. Just like I'm not buying the whole confrontation with the out of touch Vince McMahon. Kayfabe, nothing more. Truth be told, the whole Punk leaving with the title last year was likely loosely based on fact, but mostly orchestrated.

Total marks!.. This is exactly how the CM Punk character should be handled by the WWE. As soon as the WWE turn him into the regular "poster child" he instantly becomes nothing. CM Punk's sole and only gimic to hook the general audience is his anti-establishment sentimentality. The WWE realises this, so they are making CM Punk seem to be the unwanted step child. It works. And CM Punk does a brilliant job selling it.

Yes, if only the WWE would ever promote CM Punk. Why don't they ever let Punk hold the title? Why don't they ever let Punk constantly overcome the odds to hold on to the title for a year? Why don't they let him main-event multiple PPVs in a row? Why won't the WWE make him the only performer on the cover of their video game, and revolve their entire marketing campaign for the game around him? For fuck's sake, the WWE could at least license a popular rock song for him. I know they don't do that for anyone else but Hulk Hogan, but c'mon! This is CM Punk we're talking about!

Some people in this thread are being absolutely ridiculous.

Oh, yeah, and considering this was on Punk's Twitter, I think it's pretty safe to say this was a work.

Recently, it was reported that CM Punk will be making an appearance on the Talking Dead, which is sort of a post show for the Walking Dead on AMC. The WWE has done nothing to promote this appearance, nor have they mentioned anything about him being named the Grand Marshal of the Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Is AMC part of NBC Universal? No, then why would WWE promote it?

Is the Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade on national television? No, then why would WWE promote it?

Is Punk a heel that has been a thorn in the side of McMahon recently on TV? Yes, then why sacrifice the story for a silly promotion of a couple non-events?

Is Punk the guy who recently got national news coverage for slugging a fan?
Yes, why wasn't he fired?

Punk took to Twitter and posted some comments.

I know Twitter is a new form of communication but if people haven't figured out that is a promotional tool used to further celebrities characters and popularity then I don't know what to tell you.

However, PWInsider.com is reporting that there's been some issues between Punk & the company that've developed. A little while back, it was said that someone with a lot of standing in the company went off on Vince McMahon backstage in front of some people. Some reports indicate that it was John Cena but PWInsider.com is reporting that now some people, sources I presume, are saying that it was CM Punk who spoke out. A lot of people have initially thought it was CM Punk because Vince was allegedly told that he was out of touch, which is something Punk has said as part of his promos sometimes.

The report also alleges that some feel WWE is doing Punk wrong because he currently isn't featured in any of the WM 29 promotional material despite that he's held the strap for more than a year. The report goes onto state that people aren't sure how Punk'll react if WWE puts the title on The Rock at the Royal Rumble.

Stop allowing yourselves to get worked by WWE and dirt sheets. WWE uses dirt sheets to keep you interested in their stars. Dirt sheets take whatever they are given and print it, when they have nothing to print they will print anything.

Punk has had the fake title on a scripted show for over a year. He's on the cover of a video game. He makes a ton of money. It looks like he is going to get to headline a major PPV with the biggest Hollywood star WWE has ever created. He has wins over the biggest star in the company. He gets more air time as anyone. He has a new shirt.

HE PUNCHED A FAN AND HE STILL HAS A JOB!

He is not a victim, and he gets way more respect from WWE than he may well deserve. This is not a shot at Jackhammer, he seems to have a good amount of skepticism. This is a shot at all you marks, think about what you are reading or hearing. Does it really make sense in the real world?

The way i see it is WWE must think Punk can't be THE GUY on his own. Hogan, Austin, Rock, or even Cena have never needed a manager, to sit at the top of the roster.

When i watch Heyman with Lesnar it all looks Natural, like Heyman is gelling with Lesnar, but Heyman with Punk looks forced, and although Paul Heyman has a fantastic mouth on him, it all looks as though he is trying to force it on us to paint a picture that Punk is something that really he isn't.

Punk needs to be involved in something big with one of the older guys, Brock, Rock, Austin, HHH, or Undertaker. If the Rock comes in and thrashes him at The Royal Rumble, his title reign will be worthless, losing to a guy who wrestles twice a year.

If Punk knows that he is losing to The Rock at The Royal Rumble, i can see why he is upset. The next couple of months will be very interesting to say the least.

AMC Networks has no affiliation with NBC Universal which is where a majority of WWE programming is aired. That is why the event wasn't promoted. If anyone is upset about that they are just unaware of how business works. Unless NBC Universal and AMC Networks worked out a co-promotional deal, CM Punk's appearance was not going to be publicized.

CM Punk has been one of the most promoted stars in WWE. If you don't believe that then you're fooling yourself. If he vocalized any problems its either for storyline or a misunderstanding of how the entertainment business works. Punk is being promoted as one of the faces of the company and will continue to be.

Wouldnt surprise me. Punk is the biggest bitch I've ever seen in wrestling, off camera and on camera. Talk about a guy who doesnt earn it but instead bitches about it, a lot of people said he tarnished the whc, i honestly feel like he did the same with the wwe title. He didnt headline one ppv until cena got involved and the ratings show the company is declining even more, with people in the stock market advising investors not to invest in wwe.

Let the guy bitch all he wants, fact is, he isnt a draw, he never really was, and that has nothing to do with the fact that he is an indie star, look at Dragon, everything they throw at him he turns into gold and the crowd reacts to it, even when they're not being told to like it was in Punk's case

I don't think its a work at all. Anyone that follows this industry more than just watching the shows know that Punk has been a lifelong wrestling fan especially of the WWE. Punk is a historian of this industry much like HHH. Punk knows where he wants his character to be and has a pretty good understanding of the average wrestling fan. With all of this people also know at times Punk is difficult to work with. He made sure of the latest contract he signed that he has more input to his character. Punk loves the wrestling industry but hates the politics and thus far refuses to play that game so many top stars of the past and a few current WWE Stars. The argument of Punk's own outside bookings aren't affiliated with NBCUniversal isn't totally true because hasn't Cena and Miz been mentioned to being on shows such as Morning with Kelly and some Nick shows. The fact of the matter is VKM doesn't want Punk to get ahead of himself because he is so idolized by the fan and VKM wants to promote him at his own pace and not let the fans in VKM's mind to dictate. Seeing most promotions promote based off of what the fans think. WWE use to care what the fans liked or disliked but that was at a time when there was significant competition. I also remember when WWE Officials allowed the fans to their freedom of expression with signs at events but now it seems VKM has gotten in touch with his inner Putin and making certain signs to be taken down.

Punk's a whiny little bitch.They've promoted his appearance on the talking dead on their website.For a show which is NOT on NBC,WWE have done a fair job promoting it.Then again,this can be a storyline.Punk isn't sure to lose the title.As rumors have surface WWE isn't as sure as before to give the rock the title as he will not be able defend it from January to all the way down to April at house shows or even at the EC PPV.Talks are there to make Punk take a shot at the Undertaker's streak with the WWE title on the line.It should be a storyline tweet and it it isn't,Punk proves that he's the biggest hypocrite after hulk hogan to step in the WWE ring.And he doesn't draw 1/10 of hogan.

I'm hoping with the power shifting to Triple H that, he's not as short sighted as Vince and puts his personal preferences ahead of the company, but only time can tell...
Interesting. You mean HHH wouldnt do things like putting biggest belt in the company in the hands of his sparring buddy and stuff? ;)

Sorry for the little off, now about theme:

I don't know why people think that Punk ever had problems with company and company with Punk. We don't even know whats "Summer of Punk" about. He himself maybe aproached Vince with the idea when his contract was up and throw the angle on the table and we maybe just believe that it is more then just an angle by WWE. As far as I know Punk was always a company guy and WWE always believed in Punk. For crying out loud, he was ECW champion then went on and won MiTB match and becomed a champion very early(he becomed champion in his first official night as member of RAW after drafted from ECW). WWE had faith in him almost entire time of his career and it payed up to them by now.

Other thing is, Vince is a freak about control and everybody knows that. Dont you think that if Punk is as problematic as they said he would not push him more and he would put belt in the hands of someone who he has more trust like for example Cena(he did had a lot of chances for that)? And no, I don't think that anyone in WWE can demand that title stays on him whole year. None has that kind of power(even HHH who is family member) and it's just circumstances that was good for that(they wanted longer title reigns, Rock was involved in RR match and Cena in the meantime had that surgery so it's was good bussiness-wise solution that they build up Punk like a beliavable threat against the Rock(even with his heelish wins 1 year long title reign is still 1 year long title reign)). Punk maybe has more control over his character but thats it.

Third thing is, almost every wrestler has ego. Hogan had huge ego, Bret and Shawn had egos, Austin, Rock, HHH had egos, even Cena has ego. Offcourse Punk wouldn't want to lose against Rock and would want to win if that match happens, but Punk will ultimatly do what Company says for him to do it(so does Rock if they said otherwise). You can demand something all you want but ultimatly it is Company's word if it's that what you want granted or rejected and you will have to do what they say. Wrestlers are in positions to demand something but ultimatly they are just workers in the company. :)

Gee, could it be possible that they aren't advertising all of these activities that Punk is doing because he is, oh, I don't know, the company's top heel?

Heels don't often go out and make these kinds of public appearances. I don't see this as too big a deal; being a grand marshal for a Thanksgiving Day Parade is really more of a face activity than a heel one. Maybe the Walking Dead segment could be advertised more, but otherwise, I don't see the point in advertising the guy like your top face, when he's the exact opposite.

That said... There is something kind of odd about the WWE not trying to get all the free publicity that it can. Let's face it, the WWE are fame-****es, who will cling to any sort of media attention that doesn't involve death and steroids. Still, it's a little strange that when someone goes out of WWE's area, that there is very little publicity on the matter. This isn't a new thing; a couple of months ago, Eve Torres was part of a show produced by NBC, which was rarely mentioned at all. Chris Jericho regularly hits negotiating snafus with the WWE, because they don't like him going out and doing his own side projects. I'm not sure if the WWE is frightened to let their superstars go out and get their own publicity, but why wouldn't you hype moments like this? The point of a wrestling promotion, besides to make money, is to turn your wrestlers into big stars. Because if they become big stars in the mainstream, the wrestling promotion can make a lot of money off that guy. In WWE, the mentality seems to be to get over, but don't get over unless we tell you to. It's little things like that do make for unhappy employees.

It's a work. Punk does this on twitter all the time and every time he does the IWC falls for it. If Vince had problems with Punk there is no way he would have held the world title for over a year.

The way i see it is WWE must think Punk can't be THE GUY on his own. Hogan, Austin, Rock, or even Cena have never needed a manager, to sit at the top of the roster.
They are all faces. Faces very rarely have managers. While most of the top heels have them. Punk is THE GUY right now.

1) I highly doubt Punk is legit pissed about this. He does complain more than most I admit but considering its on Twitter I doubt it.

2) If this was last year when Punk was a face he would have been heavily promoted for the sole fact that Punk was getting pushed as the #2 face, not the #1 heel.

3) and most likely scenario....... Considering Punks entire storyline and character these days is about him constantly getting overlooked and disrespected chances are they did it on purpose to build the storyline more. Don't be shocked if Punk mentions such a thing on Raw within the next few weeks.

Now lets dive into #3 a bit more.

Punk is pissed that his Talking Dead appearance and him being the Grand Marshall in the second city Thanksgiving Parade. This coincides very closely to what he has talked about on Raw every single week since he's been a heel. Everything points to this being done intentionally for storyline purposes.

I'm gonna go with a big obvious work.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of backstage friction between Punk and Vince. They don't like each other. Punk is a Heyman guy. I am surprised at how long he's held the belt. Punk isn't a WWE guy. He worked indy, ROH, TNA. That's almost the kiss of death when it comes to being the top guy, face or heel. It's one of the main reasons why Sting never signed on. He knew it how hard it would be to be THE guy in WWE.

It's funny how everyone keeps saying "Punk hasn't main evented a PPV unless it's against Cena". Being in a main event match doesn't mean your match is the last one on the card. In the bigger PPV's, they typically have 2-3 main event matches. And Vince know's who draws the most butts into the seats, and like it or not, it's Cena.

Killam posted that it's possibly Punk/Taker at Mania 29. That breaking The Streak would cement his legacy. It sounds like Punk will keep the belt until then. At over 500 days by Mania, he will have held it the 4th longest in history, eclipsing Cena by about 125 days. Longer that Hogan's second longest WWE run. Longer than Savage. I don't think Punk would need to break The Streak to cement a legacy that included a top 5 longest reign in WWE history. But for that to happen, Punk needs to make sure he doesn't piss off Vince enough that he takes the belt off him. Whatever is in his contract, I doubt it will be enough to keep the belt if Vince doesn't want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back