• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rugby League Thread - 2010

HBK-aholic

Shawn Michaels ❤
It's nearly 2010. And I went to rugby yesterday so I'm going to pretend it's the new year, even though me and Leeds Guy are the only ones who post in here. I'm going to go recruit at the RL forum I used to be on.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion there are no 'friendlies' in Rugby League. Every year Leeds Rhinos play Wakefield Wildcats on Boxing Day in a Festive Challenge to aid pre-season training and to give us fans something to pull us through the long off-season. Which I swear gets longer every season, I'm actually depressed without rugby every week.

Anyway, Leeds won 32-12. A lot of our First team players play for England, and therefore start training after everyone else; consequently didn't play in the game. Which means Leeds did well with a lot of academy players in their ranks, and Rob Burrow showing he will be a fine replacement captain if Sinfield ever leaves or is injured for an amount of time.

Anyway, there was a lot of animosity between the 2 teams - high shots, sly punches the referee didn't see, and one high shot from a Leeds academy man which should have seen him sent off, and that's coming from a Leeds fan. I'm not sure why it was so violent - the game meant nothing in the world of rugby league; the only people who hear about it will be Leeds/Wakefield fans. This brings me to the conclusion we simply can not do friendlies against other Super League teams. We play every game as if it's a final, showing the same urgency to win and depth in our team.

Damn I've missed rugby. I have a feeling I'll be talking to myself in here, but I don't really care. Is TM the Sports mod? Yeah, I'm going to sticky this when the season starts properly, just thought I'd warn you :)

Well after a good few months of being Pre occupied with the Footballing side of Leeds, its back to the Rugby this friday. First thing i'm going to say is Leeds will be expected to retain both the league and Grand Final trophy. Every other team have either gone backwards or made no strides forwards this year while the Rhinos have strengthend their squad. It will probably come down to Leeds - Saints for the upteenth time but I'm hoping for a shock. I hope a team like Hull KR make it to the GF this year. Having said that though I am looking forward to seeing what Eastmond can do for St Helens this year, he looks like a fantastic prospect for England and he will deffo be one to watch.

As for the Rhinos, I think it will be the same old squad basically. I'm hoping to see alot more of Kallum Watkins this year as I think its time he steps up into the fold. I'm also looking forward to see how we cope without Lee Smith this year. He was vital for us in so many games last year and we will miss his input when it counts. Also looking forward to seeing Danny Buderus does this year after his horrific broken leg last year. Should be a good season and I can't wait till it starts on Friday (Even though I won't be watching because I'll be out in town)

Kallum Watkins has put a lot of muscle on through the pre-season; previously I'd always viewed him as slightly small to be playing in Super League compared to some of the others, but this season he should get a few more starts for the first team, depending on whether we get injuries, he may be there constantly. He's still only young though, so he has a few years to make it really big.

First game tonight and I can't wait. Celtic away last season were probably the easiest game we had. I don't think it will be as easy tonight, but they won't cause us too any problems, we'll still get a strong win providing the team take the game seriously and don't expect to walk all over them. I'm excited about the World Club Challenge more than anything.

Damn, well played Celtic. Who are apparently only called Crusaders now? Well, I'm going to call them Celtic anyway. Leeds won the game (Obviously) with a 6-34 victory. However, the first 65 minutes were no where near that well spread out - with the team that finished at the bottom of the table holding the triple champions to a 6-6 draw until that time.

If Celtic can do that to the Leeds Rhinos, they'll be a force to be reckoned with this season. Leeds experience and stamina won this for them, they can last a full 80 minutes, but they're officially the best team in Super League. Celtic will get some big wins which will have seemed impossible this time last season.

I was forced into watching Giants' opener with the Bulls this season and - I hate to admit - I immensely enjoyed it.

This season is simmering nicely. Wigan seem to be back where they feel they belong, Warrington have been superb, Huddersfield, Bradford and Leeds are nicely placed to make a challenge in the long run.

How do Leeds fans feel about the start to the year? It has been fun to watch as someone with a dislike for all things Leeds, but the Rhinos seem like a team who are starting to get it together.

For people who still dislike League, I feel the need to tell my experiences. The atmosphere at games is usually good, with many games local derbies there is always a bit of tension around. The games are action-packed mostly and it is simple enough to follow. The best thing about the sport are the players and coaches. I had to interview the players after Giants/Bulls and all of them were approachable, good-humoured and opinionated. It is a quality that is sadly missing in football nowadays.

As a Leeds fan I detest the start of this year. We were bogged down with injuries and allowed that to affect us to such an extent that we've lost more games already this year than we did ALL last season. We're getting back on track. Realistically, I think we've left 1st and 2nd spots too late, but we should still be focusing on top 3/4. It'll make our way to the Grand Final a lot harder, but we're a good team who can dig deep when it matters - which is why we've won the last 3 seasons.

Wigan have been on top form recently - and we have them in the Challenge cup. We CAN win although it'll be very difficult. Basic Rugby League won't cut it with them, you need to have that something extra. We have that, but will we pull it out on the night?

I have never really been a fan of rugby league, I have always loved rugby union, truly great sport. This year I have started to watchh it though, all the controversy surrounding The storm really got me intrigued. Not sure if you get NRL in leeds becca. I have been pretty surprised with the quality of the sport, I thought it was all about fights an scandals, but it is actually quite good, I'll give it that

So a couple of weeks ago the news was that Bret Hodgson was leaving the Galpharm and going to Wakey, and now Nathan Brown is standing down at the end of the season. With last year's Challenge Cup Final appearance and the amount of youngsters coming on from the academy, hopes were high in Huddersfield this year. Now it's all going to pot.

Brown has been a great coach, and there is no doubting Hodgson's talent. He's a superb player, one of the genuinely exciting ones. People like Leroy Cudjoe and Michael Lawrence are going to have to step up next year and become leading players.

Those defeats of Bradford and Leeds may have been one-offs unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back